Will someone explain the 7 churches that was addressed in Revelations?

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There were other churches in Asia.

pauls_journeys_map1.jpg
Yeah thanks, are you indicating that those turned away from Paul?

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was wondering if the 7 churches that were addressed in Revelation correlated to 7 denominations of faith of today and if so which ones.

I don't think that John would have invisigated passing a message for a future 7 churches, rather it was an urgent message of reprimand by Jesus to the seven Notaries/bishops of the seven churches that existed in John's time.

John would have required an explanation if it were a message for a different generation in the future. Such message would be given to him in late chapters, that would require fiurther explanation, because mystery Babylon was exactly that, mysterious to John, because John is being shown a future beastly kingdom.

There are no seven Church theology today, the woman that was clothed with the gospel was that 1st century church, that had 12 foundational messagers, that is the 12 disciples. The future Church would be described as follows, after the man child would rule the world with a rod of iron, who is Jesus Christ, who sat on the right hand of the Father.....

the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.

Those offspring is the future Church, comprising of many denominations and would hold fast to the written Word, until the beast of the bottomless Pitt that persecuted the 1st century church would emerge as an image or likeness to the 1st century beast and then would kill these symbolic two witnesses who are the symbol of the law and the prophets, the end day church.

So we anticipate another beast to be established in Israel like the first and to once again globally persecute all denominations, until like the bulshavk revolution exterminate the church.

All chess pieces are in play now, all that is awaiting is the murder of the bride of Christ, those countless many who washed their cloths by the blood of the lamb of God. Global Calvary awaits the end day church.

• Informative
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if the 7 churches that were addressed in Revelation correlated to 7 denominations of faith of today and if so which ones.
The 7 churches represent all believers. The warnings and instructions in the letters pertain to us all...if the shoe fits wear it.
The number 7 is a Scriptural symbolic number to mean, all, fullness, completion. The world was created in 6 days and on the 7th it was declared finished and good by God Himself.
You can see this usage in Matthew 18:21-22 and Hebrews 4:1-11.
The Bible does contain a lot of symbolism. Proverbs clues us in on this...
Proverbs 1:1-6:
The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for gaining wisdom and instruction;
for understanding words of insight;
3 for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to those who are simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young—
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance—
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The 7 churches represent all believers. The warnings and instructions in the letters pertain to us all...if the shoe fits wear it.
The number 7 is a Scriptural symbolic number to mean, all, fullness, completion.

That's right.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, why then would they be in Asia?
They were all clustered at or near the central western coast of Modern day Turkey on the Aegean. John headed the Church of Ephesus and these Asia Minor Churches shared commonalities. Patmos an island about 50 miles off the coast of Asia Minor in the Aegean made it easy to send a letter to Ephesus since it had a port and from there pass it to the other cities. These were not denominations, these were sister churches of which most existed as living communities till 1922

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe in the seven churches as congregations in the first few chapters of Revelation...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

sevenages_zps36af611f.png

The Lambs book of life is sealed with seven seals
The seven stars are all Christians of seven different congregations
The seven candlesticks are the seven church congregations

I believe the Laodicean congregation is the current one, and whose spirit can penetrate all the Congregations if we let it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

The Book of Revelation is prophecy. The letters to the seven churches represent the whole of the Church ages throughout history. We are in the lukewarm age of Laodecia. They have no zeal for the things of God. It couldn't be more blatant that the Whitehouse was decked out in the colors of the rainbow to honor an abomination.

Ephesus was the first church age, the time of the apostles.

Smyrna represented the time of the martyrs.

Pergamos was when martyrdom ended and they compromised with paganism, bringing aspects of the pagan temples and attire into the church.

Thyatira is the longest church age, and will run to the end of time. It is the Roman Catholic Church and Orthodox.

Sardis is the Reformation, but it is also called the dead church. Also goes to the end of time.

Philadelphia was the Bible based churches who are on fire for God and keep God's Word. Also goes to the end of time.

Laodecia are "Christians" in name only, but Jesus is not in their hearts. This will go on to the end of time and is the last church age.

The last four are churches today.

If you want to hear a good teaching on this on youtube, look up Chuck Missler, letters to the seven churches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Book of Revelation is prophecy. The letters to the seven churches represent the whole of the Church ages throughout history.

On the other hand, I believe that that is completely false.

We are in the lukewarm age of Laodecia.

That's a very US-centric view. Across the world, you can find churches like all 7 in Revelation (including persecuted churches). There are still martyrs today!

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I believe in the seven churches as congregations in the first few chapters of Revelation...

Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

I believe the Laodicean congregation is the current one, and whose spirit can penetrate all the Congregations if we let it.

I would agree except the last two. There are more on fire for God churches than Methodists. This church age kept the whole word of God, thus they believed in the Gifts of the Spirit as well.

The Laodecian church are also cessationists, who don't need any help from the Holy Spirit. Jesus is on the outside still knocking. However, I do agree with you on the money, though I don't know if that was the message of Jesus to this church age.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
On the other hand, I believe that that is completely false.

That's a very US-centric view. Across the world, you can find churches like all 7 in Revelation (including persecuted churches). There are still martyrs today!

On the other hand of what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Just because the letters to the seven churches are prophecy and church ages, doesn't mean that they didn't apply to those churches of that day, nor of individuals in any denomination. It is a three-fold message. But to discount the prophetic is short-sighted.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you so very much! I have never sat under any teaching on this and this is very informative! I felt in my own mind it was a character profile of the different types of Christians in the world. We all need to improve in areas. So this is much more realistic and makes sense....God Bless!

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Book of Revelation is prophecy. The letters to the seven churches represent the whole of the Church ages throughout history. We are in the lukewarm age of Laodecia. They have no zeal for the things of God. It couldn't be more blatant that the Whitehouse decked out in the colors of the rainbow to honor an abomination.

Ephesus was the first church age, the time of the apostles.

Smyrna represented the time of the martyrs.

Pergamos was when martyrdom ended and they compromised with paganism, bringing aspects of the pagan temples and attire into the church.

Thyatira is the longest church age, and will fun to the end of time. It is the Roman Catholic Church.

Sardis is the Reformation, but it is also called the dead church. Also goes to the end of time.

Philadelphia was the Bible based churches who are on fire for God and keep God's Word. Also goes to the end of time.

If you want to hear a good teaching on the on youtube, look up Chuck Missler, letters to the seven churches.

Well thank you for this information. It is excellent and useful. I am fixing to watch the teaching you advised right now. God Bless.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would agree except the last two. There are more on fire for God churches than Methodists. This church age kept the whole word of God, thus they believed in the Gifts of the Spirit as well.

The Laodecian church are also cessationists, who don't need any help from the Holy Spirit. Jesus is on the outside still knocking. However, I do agree with you on the money, though I don't know if that was the message of Jesus to this church age.

Thanks... And I must admit that I do not know exact geographies and time periods... But I am pretty sure we are hook and sinker in the Laodicean age.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If these churches were mere congregations in Turkey... Why all the ado?
The reason that John's material to the Seven Churches who resided within Asia-Minor is so important is that these major Christian centres sat square in the middle of the known world; as such, they were essentially the cradle of the New Testament Church.

In the Book of Galatians, which was of course written maybe 30 to 40 years before the Book of Revelations, Paul seemingly laments over the deteriorating congregations who resided within the province of Galatia which was located just to the East of these seven churches, so we know from both Paul and John's material that the early Church within this region was suffering from a number of major ailments which had not been addressed by the time of the Book of Revelations.

The problem with the populist idea that the Seven Churches supposedly relate to the various ages of the Church is essentially two-fold; first, the Christians of the day would have realised that John was writing to Churches that existed in their day and many who were well traveled were undoubtedly aware of many of the issues that John speaks of.

The second is that the 'church-age' theory does not hold any real weight as the Church of any given time period simply has too many aspects to it, where some are hot, others are lukewarm and others are cold, which is what we see not only in our larger countries but throughout the other non-English speaking countries. What we tend to do in Anglo-centric countries is to presume that God only speaks to those who maybe live in English speaking countries.

Edit: Typo "too not two"

Last edited:
Upvote 0