Will people go to Hell for worshipping on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Or being eliminated, whatever.

Is that really what Sabbatarians believe?
I imagine given the large number of Christians who have decided to worship on Saturday, some of them would think that way. However the issue is more complex than a person may first imagine.

Herbert W. Armstrong pushed a one true church doctrine, that the vast majority of Christians are false yet 99.9% of the world's population would still be saved. If you want to see how he arrived at that conclusion there are still a few churches using his brand of theology around.

Here's a booklet from one such church leader:https://www.cogwriter.com/universal-offer-of-salvation-apokatastasis.pdf

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thankfully...
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. - Galatians 2:16
After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; - Revelation 7:9
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. - James 2:10

If you are going to dig in that OT you will find more than one point to get us on!

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
so...if the church has to keep the Sabbath (Saturday) then doesn't it have to keep it in how the Bible says it should be kept?
From what I understand about how to keep the Sabbath or not is largely dependent on your ancestry and specific circumstances. The scriptures about Naaman in 2 Kings 5 give the most rational approach to this situation imo. Coupled with the fact that some Jews got rather angry at Jesus when He brought up that man's name, it might be important Luke 4:27-28.

In 2 Kings 5:17-19 there's a dialogue which reflects the circumstances between Eisha who represents God and Naaman who is going back and knows he has go in a pagan temple. In modern terms it would be like someone bound to the House of Saud going into in his communities mosque and praying to Jesus as LORD. Would he be a Christian?

I imagine both types of Christians, those who worship on the Sabbath and those who worship on Sunday might have something to say about that!!!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think worship on Sunday is tradition only and not Sabbath keeping. I also question if those keeping the Sabbath aren't sinning. since Paul says law keeping = falling from grace.
“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.” Galatians 5:4 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“God is spirit and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
John 4:24

When you worship is not as important as how you worship.

As for prayer; Jesus recommended praying in private and not making a public display of praying.
Matthew 6:5-6

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Perhaps the question that should be being asked is: "Does someone go to Heaven based solely on Saturday Sabbath only worship...? Or their belief in such, etc...?

And if not "that" only then, "what else"...?

What else needs to be or must be adhered to to get into into Heaven by us in our own will and strength, etc...?

So, I hope you can see then, that we are not bound to any particular day, and everyday should treated like a Sabbath...

And that this type of thinking puts us back under or into bondage to the law, saying "Jesus is not ever enough", etc... "We must do something to earn or merit it", etc... We must adhere to this or that rule or thing, or rule of law/custom, etc, to get or merit or earn our way into Heaven, etc...

Because, any kind of restricting it to having to be this or that one particular day a week, etc, and it "must be that way", etc, is taking us back to law, and you are under a curse then, or at that point if you do not fully keep and/or obey the whole entire law, etc...

You are no longer under Grace, but law... You have fallen from Grace, etc... And are under a curse (again), etc... And need to be saved (from it) again, etc... Or need to be delivered from it again, etc... Or need to be saved and/or delivered (again) from that kind and way of thinking that has put you back under law (again), etc...

We must always be on the lookout for it and be very wary of it...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

People won't "go to hell", be "sent to hell", "go straight to hell"... for any one sin, no matter how atrocious.

All humans are going to hell..... period. Unless you are mentally incapable of being cognitively aware of right and wrong and or never reach a state of mental capacity to understand the concepts of the gospel...ie; infants and young children and mentally handicapped.

We all start our lives "in a hand basket on the way to hell". Every single one of us...

There is only those who accept Christ's work on the cross.. and those that don't.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully not! There are always some weird people out there to believe this or that, but really what does it matter?
I agree.

All religions and denominations are man made. All have flaws..

As far as I'm concerned God just wants you to take a break from your life and focus on Him... Doubt if He would care less what "day of the week" it is...

Upvote 0

Tzav

No fetuses were harmed by this membership.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
✟36,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I think worship on Sunday is tradition only and not Sabbath keeping. I also question if those keeping the Sabbath aren't sinning. since Paul says law keeping = falling from grace.
“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.” Galatians 5:4 (KJV 1900)

I am sorry, but you have misread or misunderstood the verse, but then, it is traditional to misunderstand it. People are just used to misreading it that way. This verse, in no way, says that one keeping the Law is depending upon the Law for justification. If one does depend upon the Law for salvation, however, that one will definitely be disappointed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

The fourth commandment is the Seventh day Sabbath Commandment.

Folks that are worshiping on Sunday are not obeying the fourth commandment.

They are not condemned until the time comes when legislation is passed demanding Sunday worship and they choose to disobey GODS commandment and follow the law of the land.

Mark 7:7
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

It comes down to an issue of obedience just as it was in the garden of Eden with Adam and Eve

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

If Christ Himself instituted the Sabbath day of rest for us (Mark 2:27), would He change it? Jesus kept the Sabbath day faithfully. The disciples of Jesus likewise kept the Sabbath day (Acts 13:14, 16:13). The seventh-day Sabbath is taught throughout the Bible, while Sunday sacredness is not mentioned once. If Christ or the apostles did not change the Sabbath, who did?

Sabbath Day | Ten Commandments | Day of the Lord | Sabbath Commandment
According to Acts 15, Gentiles are not bound to keep the law, including doing no work on Saturday, the seventh day of the week.

There is more evidence of this in Galatians 2 (WEB):

14 But when I saw that they didn’t walk uprightly according to the truth of the Good News, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live as the Gentiles do, and not as the Jews do, why do you compel the Gentiles to live as the Jews do?

15 “We, being Jews by nature, and not Gentile sinners, 16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law, because no flesh will be justified by the works of the law. 17 But if while we sought to be justified in Christ, we ourselves also were found sinners, is Christ a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I build up again those things which I destroyed, I prove myself a law-breaker. 19 For I, through the law, died to the law, that I might live to God.

Upvote 0

Elisha's Bear

Nov 24, 2019
NorthEast
✟10,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is astounding to me the lengths to which Christians will go to justify a blatant refusal to obey God rather than man.

In the 1960s, when I was a child growing up in the Southern Baptist church I was taught that there were ten (10) commandments that governed the conduct of God's people in all ages. The day that was observed as the Sabbath was Sunday. No one ever questioned the correctness of this that I can recall. I distinctly remember certain activities and duties being prohibited or curtailed on Sunday. I never heard the term "legalism" used in connection to this situation. It was always stressed that Christ and Him crucified was the only means of salvation, but this was never presented as a reason to disregard the duty of commandment-keeping.

Years later, when I became an adult and it occurred to me that my children were coming of age to benefit from spiritual guidance in the form of corporate worship, I lived in a location where Southern Baptists had virtually no presence. I discovered, while looking for a suitable alternative, that the fourth commandment was regarded lightly, if at all. Surprisingly enough, I was often told that the entire ten commandments were nailed to the cross. I found this shocking and even depressing as a prospect for guiding my children's morality.

The only church I could find that regarded the ten commandments seriously was the Seventh-day Adventist Church. This was also problematic because they seemed to be resting and worshipping on the wrong day of the week. I remembered my grandmother telling me that Adventists were Christians who worshipped on Saturday and didn't believe in Santa Claus (lol). After talking to some of these folks, I discovered that not only did the Bible definitely testify to the validity of the 7th day as the Sabbath rather than the 1st, but that in dozens of languages around the world, the actual word for the 7th day of the week was some form of the word "Sabbath," as in "Sábado" in Spanish.

The more I studied about the church, the more I realized how serious they were about being faithful to the testimony of the Bible as a whole. I found a truly comprehensive and systematic Theology that has for decades, helped me to know Christ in a personal and profound way that I never thought possible.

I anticipate many prooftexts, opinions, and insults to serve the purpose of dismantling my testimony and that's okay. I probably won't respond to many of those. But I'm always open to sincere inquiries.

***Absolutely nothing of what I'm about to say should be construed as calling into question the motive(s) of any individual--especially the OP.***

I thought it might be a good idea to begin with a brief personal testimony to lead into the topic of the seal of God vs. the mark of the beast which is what we're really talking about here. Seventh-day Adventists are not known for their brevity when answering doctrinal challenges. And folks who enjoy challenging are good at keeping the questions very brief to give the impression that only a short answer could be acceptable. Obviously, I reject such a notion. The Bible contains over 3/4 million words. Alas, most folks are content to familiarize themselves with a minute fraction of them. Quite surprising when the Bible says that we should live by every word.

The following video gives one of the best presentations on this topic I've ever heard. It runs for an hour, but the actual Bible study portion doesn't begin until the 15:30 point. The speaker is an experienced school teacher and a worldwide missionary and lecturer. He speaks very plainly and very rarely resorts to original language evidence. If a person sincerely desires to hear a clear answer to the question raised by the OP, they could definitely find a worse place to start than this video. I hope that those who chose to view it find it a pleasant, if not agreeable experience.

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People won't "go to hell", be "sent to hell", "go straight to hell"... for any one sin, no matter how atrocious.

All humans are going to hell..... period. Unless you are mentally incapable of being cognitively aware of right and wrong and or never reach a state of mental capacity to understand the concepts of the gospel...ie; infants and young children and mentally handicapped.

We all start our lives "in a hand basket on the way to hell". Every single one of us...

There is only those who accept Christ's work on the cross.. and those that don't.

Surely God has a better plan than that.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Surely God has a better plan than that.
His plan is perfect.
His plan is the best.
His plan is totally against u.r.
His plan was created in perfect understanding and perfect wisdom.
There is not even a remote possibility, no, there is no possibility, of there being a better plan.
The plan of u.r. that demons or men thought up is an abomination to God, and punishable.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is astounding to me the lengths to which Christians will go to justify a blatant refusal to obey God rather than man.

In the 1960s, when I was a child growing up in the Southern Baptist church I was taught that there were ten (10) commandments that governed the conduct of God's people in all ages. The day that was observed as the Sabbath was Sunday. No one ever questioned the correctness of this that I can recall. I distinctly remember certain activities and duties being prohibited or curtailed on Sunday. I never heard the term "legalism" used in connection to this situation. It was always stressed that Christ and Him crucified was the only means of salvation, but this was never presented as a reason to disregard the duty of commandment-keeping.

Years later, when I became an adult and it occurred to me that my children were coming of age to benefit from spiritual guidance in the form of corporate worship, I lived in a location where Southern Baptists had virtually no presence. I discovered, while looking for a suitable alternative, that the fourth commandment was regarded lightly, if at all. Surprisingly enough, I was often told that the entire ten commandments were nailed to the cross. I found this shocking and even depressing as a prospect for guiding my children's morality.

The only church I could find that regarded the ten commandments seriously was the Seventh-day Adventist Church. This was also problematic because they seemed to be resting and worshipping on the wrong day of the week. I remembered my grandmother telling me that Adventists were Christians who worshipped on Saturday and didn't believe in Santa Claus (lol). After talking to some of these folks, I discovered that not only did the Bible definitely testify to the validity of the 7th day as the Sabbath rather than the 1st, but that in dozens of languages around the world, the actual word for the 7th day of the week was some form of the word "Sabbath," as in "Sábado" in Spanish.

The more I studied about the church, the more I realized how serious they were about being faithful to the testimony of the Bible as a whole. I found a truly comprehensive and systematic Theology that has for decades, helped me to know Christ in a personal and profound way that I never thought possible.

I anticipate many prooftexts, opinions, and insults to serve the purpose of dismantling my testimony and that's okay. I probably won't respond to many of those. But I'm always open to sincere inquiries.

***Absolutely nothing of what I'm about to say should be construed as calling into question the motive(s) of any individual--especially the OP.***

I thought it might be a good idea to begin with a brief personal testimony to lead into the topic of the seal of God vs. the mark of the beast which is what we're really talking about here. Seventh-day Adventists are not known for their brevity when answering doctrinal challenges. And folks who enjoy challenging are good at keeping the questions very brief to give the impression that only a short answer could be acceptable. Obviously, I reject such a notion. The Bible contains over 3/4 million words. Alas, most folks are content to familiarize themselves with a minute fraction of them. Quite surprising when the Bible says that we should live by every word.

The following video gives one of the best presentations on this topic I've ever heard. It runs for an hour, but the actual Bible study portion doesn't begin until the 15:30 point. The speaker is an experienced school teacher and a worldwide missionary and lecturer. He speaks very plainly and very rarely resorts to original language evidence. If a person sincerely desires to hear a clear answer to the question raised by the OP, they could definitely find a worse place to start than this video. I hope that those who chose to view it find it a pleasant, if not agreeable experience.

No offense, but what your really saying is you found a denomination that appealed to your own form of your own self-righteousness, that I'm assuming you think makes you righteous or gets you into Heaven also, etc...

Just saying...

I say "woe to those who find comfort in their own self-righteousness"...

That is of the law, etc...

Jesus isn't good enough for you, etc...

You need "more"... You need something that appeals to your own form of your own self-righteousness, etc... That you think makes you righteous or gets you into Heaven, etc, etc, etc...

That's what your really saying you "found", etc...

I'm sorry, but I'd rather find Jesus, or more correctly, have Jesus find me, etc...

And I'm not surprised, for that is what many are actually looking for above and beyond Jesus, I just think it's very sad is all, for the Bible says they will never find Jesus, etc... That their eyes have been blinded or shut by God so that they will never see again, etc... That it is impossible to renew them to repentance again, cause they do not see and are made to never see that they actually do need to repent again, etc, etc, etc...

Very sad indeed...

Still praying for you guys though...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.