Will people go to Hell for worshipping on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Demanding Sunday worship??
How things are going, that is something that will be eliminated

That was an edict of Constantine in an effort to eliminate Jewish influence in the Christian church. But there was no compulsory worship on that day as in Judaism. So it was symbolic at best, and many Christians continued to observe what was not the "Jewish" Sabbath.

• Friendly
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Towards Global Sunday Law

The Pope is calling for the world to acknowledge and honor Sunday as a day of rest. Legislation that will force the world to worship and rest on Sunday would be the ideal solution. There are many voices clamoring to fulfill exactly such a goal, using the economy, the environment, and even the family as reasons to legislate Sunday rest.

As long as there is no restriction on resting on the 7th day, I have no problem with that.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or being eliminated, whatever.

Is that really what Sabbatarians believe?

Don't know what they believe but I know what I believe concerning God's Truth.
Romans 14:5-9

Who is anyone to pass judgment upon another?: Romans 14:1-4 God is our only Judge when it comes to eternal life or hell.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Not all Sabbatarians believe Saturday is the Sabbath. I am a Sabbatarian who believes Sunday is the Christian Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That can indeed be determined. Although the annual calendar has been changed the seven day weekly sequence has not.

Or has it? This ex-Adventist has seen various facets of the Sabbath question, and some insist that on a High Sabbath, the weekly count would reset, so that the weekly Sabbath could and did, fall on any day or our modern week. After all, they did not have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, ALL named for pagan gods.

Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

You can worship any day you like it doesn't matter as long as you worship in spirit & truth (John 4:23-24).

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone confirm that the Saturday Sabbath that Sabbatarians worship on is in fact exactly the same day that that Jews worshiped on more than 2000 years ago? Can anyone count back day by day and confirm that numerically the Sabbath day is correct and has not shifted is some way?
That’s right the Sabbath was determined by the lunar calendar. Not to mention based on the lat/long of Israel.

I guess the folks on the arctic circle are out of luck.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That was an edict of Constantine in an effort to eliminate Jewish influence in the Christian church. But there was no compulsory worship on that day as in Judaism. So it was symbolic at best, and many Christians continued to observe what was not the "Jewish" Sabbath.
Sounds like you've been reading the books by Nehemia Gordon also ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,941.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Christians have been worshiping on Sunday from the times of the Apostles. If worshipping on Sunday is wrong, most of the Christian church was in the wrong....

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration. - Justin Martyr (100-165 AD) ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

• Informative
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't doubt that some think Sunday worship constitutes a willful disregard for the Fourth Commandment and is therefore a serious sin.
Having been on the receiving end of a Sabbatarian diatribe, yes, some seem to think that it is the mark of the "goats" who are rejected. I'm glad that Jesus saves me, not my obedience to a manufactured doctrine.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so...if the church has to keep the Sabbath (Saturday) then doesn't it have to keep it in how the Bible says it should be kept? for instance:
Exodus 35: 1-3 said:
Moses gathered all the Israelite community together and said to them, “These are the things the Lord has commanded you to do. 2 You are to work for six days, but the seventh day will be a holy day, a Sabbath of rest to honor the Lord. Anyone who works on that day must be put to death. 3 On the Sabbath day you must not light a fire in any of your houses.”
or this:
Deuteronomy 5: 14 said:
14 but the seventh day is a sabbath rest to the Lord your God. You are not to do any regular work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant or your ox or your donkey or any of your livestock or the alien who resides inside your gates, in order that your male servant and your female servant may rest like you.
there were restrictions on how far you could travel on the Sabbath and a lot of other things, heck doing yard work on Saturday was punishable by death. :eek:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tzav

No fetuses were harmed by this membership.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
✟36,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
As one who observes Sabbaths --
  • those delineated by the weeks
  • those delineated by the months
no, I do not believe people go to hell for worshiping on Sunday.
I attend services with my community on the Sabbaths, and I worship at home on Sundays. I worship daily. In other words, I do not believe anyone will be condemned for worshiping on any day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did change the Sabbath as part of the new covenant. Of course the OT Sabbath was in force until the death of Jesus, and the destruction of the Levitical priesthood and the temple in 70 A.D.

OC: Man made for the Sabbath as a day of compulsory worship and service.
NC: Sabbath made for man as a day of rest. Worshipping on the 1st day ok.

Malachi 3:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
Psalm 33:11 King James Version (KJV)
11 The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
James 1:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
Hebrews 13:8 King James Version (KJV)
8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Matthew 4 King James Version (KJV)
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Constantine created the earliest Sunday law known to history in AD 321. It says this:

On the venerable Day of the sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits: because it often happens that another Day is not so suitable for grain sowing or for vine planting: lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost.ii

Chamber’s Encyclopedia says this:

Unquestionably the first law, either ecclesiastical or civil, by which the Sabbatical observance of that Day is known to have been ordained, is the edict of Constantine, 321 A.D.iii

Following this initial legislation, both emperors and Popes in succeeding centuries added other laws to strengthen Sunday observance. What began as a pagan ordinance ended as a Christian regulation. Close on the heels of the Edict of Constantine followed the Catholic Church Council of Laodicea (circa 364 AD):

Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday (Sabbath), but shall work on that Day: but the Lord’s Day, they shall especially honour; and as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ.iv

Constantine and the Sabbath Change

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christians have been worshiping on Sunday from the times of the Apostles. If worshipping on Sunday is wrong, most of the Christian church was in the wrong....

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration. - Justin Martyr (100-165 AD) ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Matthew 7 King James Version (KJV)
12 therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Would you use that against Christ if he criticized you?

And no, we aren't Christ, but the point is, why shoot the messenger as a defense. But that won't be the first time that's happened here and probably not the last....always the way with these things.

Matthew 7 King James Version (KJV)
12 therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Thankfully...
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. - Galatians 2:16
After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; - Revelation 7:9

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.