Why we should get back to work ASAP

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟489,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then you have no way of knowing what percent are staying home and getting over it without confirmation by testing. If ninety percent aren't going to the hospitals, then that represents a great number of people who may not be getting tested and confirmed.

At least there's a retreat to a "may not be" here. But do you really think that the only people tested are ones already hospitalized for the disease?

If so, wouldn't the stats be that 100% of patients need hospitalization instead of the 10-20% numbers shown in the literature?

I get that there are still lots of unknowns. But fudging a bunch of numbers to add a 100x multiplier for no reason seems a bit suspect.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
So your claim is what? That you are OK risking others lives? That we collectively should decide the threshold where other peoples lives should be spent? Very well, make your case. Why should these lives be sacrificed?
You know if I was 25 years of age, my view on this would probably be different than my 61 year-old self’s.
Let them rant all they want.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟144,962.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
FYI the stay at home orders have been constitutional.
I'm an outsider - do you have a quote or reference for that? So it's constitutional for the States to order this in a health crisis? What constitutional responsibilities does the President have - or does that justify its own thread?

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟144,962.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Also, as I keep saying...

WHO are saying there's no real herd immunity because there are too many individuals that have had Covid 19 but don't have any antibodies. It takes 60% of a population to have immunity to have "herd" immunity, but if so many of them can be reinfected... this thing could just spread, and spread, and spread....

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟349,713.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm an outsider - do you have a quote or reference for that? So it's constitutional for the States to order this in a health crisis? What constitutional responsibilities does the President have - or does that justify its own thread?
So the Federal government is limited and can only legislate in certain specific areas. The states can legislate more broadly, having what is known as general police powers, as long as they don't violate a right granted in the Constitution or conflict with federal law, including treaties. But the SCOTUS has long recognized that no right is absolute and can be abridged if three criteria are met.
  1. A law is necessary to a "compelling state interest";
  2. that the law is "narrowly tailored" to achieving this compelling purpose;
  3. and that the law uses the "least restrictive means" to achieve the purpose.
None of these quarantine orders have been adjudicated in court yet, but there is relevant history allowing for it.

As for the federal responsibility, they can do things such as restrict travel between states and across the border, regulate the purchase and sale of relevant supplies across state lines etc. There is an argument that Congress can pass a law using it's ability to regulate interstate commerce to give the President the right to order businesses to close, but I'm doubtful that the same law could allow the President to forbid the state from closing them, because that would run into federalism issues. Another thread to talk about this would be fun imo.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Not just Breitbart, but Breitbart from two and half years ago.

Now I'm just insulted; don't we at least deserve up to date propaganda?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So the Federal government is limited and can only legislate in certain specific areas. The states can legislate more broadly, having what is known as general police powers, as long as they don't violate a right granted in the Constitution or conflict with federal law, including treaties. But the SCOTUS has long recognized that no right is absolute and can be abridged if three criteria are met.
  1. A law is necessary to a "compelling state interest";
  2. that the law is "narrowly tailored" to achieving this compelling purpose;
  3. and that the law uses the "least restrictive means" to achieve the purpose.
None of these quarantine orders have been adjudicated in court yet, but there is relevant history allowing for it.

As for the federal responsibility, they can do things such as restrict travel between states and across the border, regulate the purchase and sale of relevant supplies across state lines etc. There is an argument that Congress can pass a law using it's ability to regulate interstate commerce to give the President the right to order businesses to close, but I'm doubtful that the same law could allow the President to forbid the state from closing them, because that would run into federalism issues. Another thread to talk about this would be fun imo.
Thanks for providing the basis I was using. I had to go to work (yay being essential personnel), so I missed this question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟489,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Now I'm just insulted; don't we at least deserve up to date propaganda?
Hmm, has the Russian Internet Research Agency fully transitioned to working from home? Much like toilet paper, maybe there's a shortage of fresh supplies to work with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0