Why we know the Day or Hour

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Romans 11:2

"God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,"

Romans 11:25

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in."

Israel was set aside in part, not completely obliterated. After the fulness of the Gentiles is complete, God will return as Israel's King.

Is Paul preaching Jewish Mythology here?

If you say they have been grafted back in, that was at the Second Coming, and the fulness of the Gentiles ended as well.

The Second Coming has not happened yet.
There's nothing connecting Paul's teachings, to the teachings today. Thus, mythology.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟124,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing connecting Paul's teachings, to the teachings today. Thus, mythology.
The teachings of today are mythology.

Paul's teachings are God's Word. The same yesterday, today, and forever.

Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The teachings of today are mythology.

Paul's teachings are God's Word. The same yesterday, today, and forever.
The language they're translated into, the cultural lense we look at them through, and our overall way of perceiving reality are totally different, however.

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Again and again it is said that no one knows when Jesus will return. But the Bible says exactly when Jesus will return. The scripture says that Jesus will come at the end of the reign of the Antichrist. We know that the Antichrist will reign for 3.5 years. So, assuming the reign of the Antichrist begins today, we know that Jesus will return in exactly 3.5 years.

Furthermore, this also disproves the idea that Jesus could return at any time. First of all, the Antichrist must appear, and since he has not yet appeared, we can say with absolute certainty that Jesus will not appear in the next 3.5 years.
Not true. The Bible says no man knows the day or the time. What about the rapture if the saints? This will take place before the Antichrist reign.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Not true. The Bible says no man knows the day or the time. What about the rapture if the saints? This will take place before the Antichrist reign.
The Day that will come unexpectedly, will be the next prophesied event - the Sixth Seal worldwide disaster. Jesus does NOT Return 'as a thief".
There is no 'rapture' before testing and judgment.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again and again it is said that no one knows when Jesus will return. But the Bible says exactly when Jesus will return. The scripture says that Jesus will come at the end of the reign of the Antichrist. We know that the Antichrist will reign for 3.5 years. So, assuming the reign of the Antichrist begins today, we know that Jesus will return in exactly 3.5 years.

Furthermore, this also disproves the idea that Jesus could return at any time. First of all, the Antichrist must appear, and since he has not yet appeared, we can say with absolute certainty that Jesus will not appear in the next 3.5 years.
No one ever will. There will be a debate on just "when" the great tribulation started. Or just 3.5 years.. when? It will be no more then a guess "this year..maybe? So no one will ever know nor ready

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus does NOT Return 'as a thief".

So why did Jesus tell us per the following that He does come like a thief if you are correct and that He wasn't?

Matthew 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

One can't isolate verse 43 and ignore verse 42 and verse 44, and then think they are interpreting verse 43 correctly.

Then there is this as well.

Revelation 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

I wonder who this is meaning, the one saying He comes as a thief? It's meaning Jesus, is it not? And here it plainly, thus undeniably, says what you are denying happens. Doesn't this mean, in Revelation 16:15, that you are taking away from what the text plainly and clearly says? And doesn't that mean you are basically doing what you sometimes accuse others of doing at times----And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book(Revelation 22:19)? Why aren't you worried about that verse affecting you as well, the fact you like to apply it to others at times, as if only someone else can do things like that, just not you?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Again and again it is said that no one knows when Jesus will return. But the Bible says exactly when Jesus will return.
Mathew 24:36 “But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.”

Looks like you got it wrong mate,

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So why did Jesus tell us per the following that He does come like a thief if you are correct and that He wasn't?
Because the event that will come unexpectedly and shocking everyone; will be the terrible Day of the Lord's fiery wrath; the Sixth Seal world changer. Prophesies like Amos 5:18-20 prove that Day is not the same as the glorious Return, several years later.

Thinking Jesus will Return as a thief, is ludicrous and totally unscriptural. 1 Thess 4:16, Revelation 19:11-16
Looks like you got it wrong mate,
Looks like you are as clueless as every other confused and ignorant person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It was a direct quote from our Lord, with the Scriptural reference. I believe no more need be said.
Matthew 24:36-44, Is not and cannot be referring to the glorious Return.
Jesus goes on to prophecy about a similar worldwide disaster as what happened in the days of Noah. Proved by how He exhorted us to keep awake, as this forthcoming devastation will come as a surprise.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Again and again it is said that no one knows when Jesus will return.
There was a lot of commotion in the year 2000 starting in 1996 about when Jesus was going to return. Even Bill Gates cashed in on the Y2K scare. People even said airplanes were going to fall out of the sky. Their coffee maker would not work and all the computers were going to crash if you did not buy a new one.

No one pays any attention to the beginning of the church and the church age in the year 29 ad on the day of Pentecost. 50 days after Jesus was crucified. (Passover) "They will be priests of God and the Messiah and will rule with him for a thousand years". (Revelation 20)

If the church age is 2,000 years then all we need to do is figure out how we transition from one age to the next and most everyone talks about a seven year transition, but very little if anything is said about that in the Bible. That will be the first year of a new president for this country.

Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying Jesus wasn't being honest when He said no one knows the day or the hour?
Jesus did not mean it literally. Possibly it has something to do with a Jewish wedding tradition.

Jesus, of course, knew the hour.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟399,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus did not mean it literally. Possibly it has something to do with a Jewish wedding tradition.

Jesus, of course, knew the hour.
hmmm show me a verse that contradicts what Jesus said.

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
Matthew 24:36

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Again and again it is said that no one knows when Jesus will return.
I do not even know for sure that He is GOING to return. It could be that the 1,000 year reign of Christ is symbolic. This is the Holy Spirit dispensation and we do not see a Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No one knows the Day?

When I talk with Christian people, saying about how my studies in the prophetic Word lead me to believe that there is coming an imminent judgement of all mankind and by using times given to us in scripture with simple mathematics, we can know when this will happen, then very often they say: ‘no one knows the Day or the hour’. My reply to them is; ‘You have just opened yourself up to the accusation of quoting verses out of context’.

I ask them to read Matthew 24:35-36 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My Words will never pass away. Yet about that Day and hour, no one knows, not the angels, not the Son, no one but the Father alone.

This passage refers to the time that the ‘heaven and earth will pass away’, and as we read in Revelation 20 and Isaiah 65:17, that is the time at the end of the Millennium, ‘when all things are made new’. It is the final wrap up of God’s creation, ‘the victor’s heritage and the second death of all those who refused to obey Him’.

People who say that we cannot know God’s plans for our time, are those who have found Bible prophecy just too difficult to comprehend or to reconcile with teachings and theories they have come to believe. Some simply do not want to know; which is a very poor attitude that shows a moral laziness. The prophet Daniel 12:9-10, tells us the prophecies are to be kept secret until the time of the end, but there will be some wise leaders who will understand. We are very close to that time, known by the time periods given us and simply by the current state of the world. The promise of God is that anyone who makes the effort with an open mind and in faith and prayer, then God will reveal His plan to them. You deny these scriptures if you say: ‘No one knows the Day’:

Isaiah 48:16 Draw near to Me and hear this: From the beginning, I have never spoken in secret, I will be there at the time of fulfilment.

Isaiah 46:9-10 I am God, there is none like Me. From the beginning, I reveal the end.

Amos 3:7 Indeed the Lord does nothing without revealing His plan to the prophets.

Revelation 1:1 This is the Revelation of Jesus Christ, to show His servants what must soon take place.

Ezekiel 12:25 The Lord says to Judah [the Jewish people] You rebellious people, what I threaten will be done within your lifetime. Luke 21:31-32 When you see these signs you will know the Kingdom is near. Those people will not pass away before it all happens.

A lifetime: Three score and ten = 70- 80 years. Judah came back to the Land in May 1948, so sometime before May 2028, the Lord will act.

Ezekiel 12:19-20 The Lord says to the people of Jerusalem in the Land of Israel: [the Jewish people in the State of Israel] You will eat and drink in fear and horror because of your sins and ungodliness and the Land will become barren and empty. The towns will be deserted and the land will be a wasteland. [Not fulfilled as yet]

1 Thess. 5:1-6... the Day of the Lord will come unexpectedly, while they are saying: all is peaceful, all secure, then sudden destruction is upon them and there is no escape. But you, friends, are not in the dark that Day will not surprise you.

they, them’,
refers to the godless peoples, but it also applies to those who have failed to discern the prophetic Word, who will be surprised and shocked by this event.

all peaceful, all secure’, As is basically the situation now. [Ukraine excepted]

Destruction is upon them’, The great and terrible Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath, prophesied and described more than 100 times throughout the Bible, as a devastating fire, a sunstrike that will affect the whole world. Most people will survive, but of all the Middle Eastern area, only a remnant in Jerusalem. Then the rest of the prophecies will unfold.

Reactions: Jeffwhosoever
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I believe Jesus will make His presence known when the false prophet begins his reign; but it will be Jesus who decides when that happens.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No one knows the Day?

When I talk with Christian people, saying about how my studies in the prophetic Word lead me to believe that there is coming an imminent judgement of all mankind and by using times given to us in scripture with simple mathematics, we can know when this will happen, then very often they say: ‘no one knows the Day or the hour’. My reply to them is; ‘You have just opened yourself up to the accusation of quoting verses out of context’.

I ask them to read Matthew 24:35-36 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My Words will never pass away. Yet about that Day and hour, no one knows, not the angels, not the Son, no one but the Father alone.

This passage refers to the time that the ‘heaven and earth will pass away’, and as we read in Revelation 20 and Isaiah 65:17, that is the time at the end of the Millennium, ‘when all things are made new’. It is the final wrap up of God’s creation, ‘the victor’s heritage and the second death of all those who refused to obey Him’.

People who say that we cannot know God’s plans for our time, are those who have found Bible prophecy just too difficult to comprehend or to reconcile with teachings and theories they have come to believe. Some simply do not want to know; which is a very poor attitude that shows a moral laziness. The prophet Daniel 12:9-10, tells us the prophecies are to be kept secret until the time of the end, but there will be some wise leaders who will understand. We are very close to that time, known by the time periods given us and simply by the current state of the world. The promise of God is that anyone who makes the effort with an open mind and in faith and prayer, then God will reveal His plan to them. You deny these scriptures if you say: ‘No one knows the Day’:

Isaiah 48:16 Draw near to Me and hear this: From the beginning, I have never spoken in secret, I will be there at the time of fulfilment.

Isaiah 46:9-10 I am God, there is none like Me. From the beginning, I reveal the end.

Amos 3:7 Indeed the Lord does nothing without revealing His plan to the prophets.

Revelation 1:1 This is the Revelation of Jesus Christ, to show His servants what must soon take place.

Ezekiel 12:25 The Lord says to Judah [the Jewish people] You rebellious people, what I threaten will be done within your lifetime. Luke 21:31-32 When you see these signs you will know the Kingdom is near. Those people will not pass away before it all happens.

A lifetime: Three score and ten = 70- 80 years. Judah came back to the Land in May 1948, so sometime before May 2028, the Lord will act.

Ezekiel 12:19-20 The Lord says to the people of Jerusalem in the Land of Israel: [the Jewish people in the State of Israel] You will eat and drink in fear and horror because of your sins and ungodliness and the Land will become barren and empty. The towns will be deserted and the land will be a wasteland. [Not fulfilled as yet]

1 Thess. 5:1-6... the Day of the Lord will come unexpectedly, while they are saying: all is peaceful, all secure, then sudden destruction is upon them and there is no escape. But you, friends, are not in the dark that Day will not surprise you.

they, them’,
refers to the godless peoples, but it also applies to those who have failed to discern the prophetic Word, who will be surprised and shocked by this event.

all peaceful, all secure’, As is basically the situation now. [Ukraine excepted]

Destruction is upon them’, The great and terrible Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath, prophesied and described more than 100 times throughout the Bible, as a devastating fire, a sunstrike that will affect the whole world. Most people will survive, but of all the Middle Eastern area, only a remnant in Jerusalem. Then the rest of the prophecies will unfold.

I don't believe Jesus's return will be determined by a clock, but the reporting of the four horses on the condition of the earth.

Upvote 0