Why should the police protect protesters?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sacrificing comfort, leisure, and hobbies is not heroics.

Heroics is catching a bullet for someone.

If you don't like heroics, you can certainly sacrifice other things that would usually suffice.

WE got to something MORE. ELSE, our indifference would eventually rob us naked, literally.

You can't have a peaceful future without sacrifice now. Everything comes at a cost. Even peace is bought at a cost. It ain't free.

As a "Christian seeker" do you not understand how evil this world is? Being truly good is difficult as most don't understand that their first duty is to themselves.

"Change yourself...change the world." -OldWiseGuy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That would resolve the problem it if was the protestors who were the problem, but they are not. We have at least 4 groups out there, we have the police or national guard, the protestors, the agitators, and the looters. The protestors are being used as a shield for the agitators and as a diversion by the looters. Maybe we need to change tactics and stop blocking the protestors, go to small squads of police that can respond quickly to arrest the agitators and looters. It is a small group that is causing all the problems, not the protestors.

The protest sets the stage for the agitators and the rioters.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So the police can just bully people into yielding their First Amendment rights?

Having protests in downtown areas shows reckless disregard for life and property, and is deliberately done. Shame on those protesters.

There are better places and ways to exercise those rights. Protests are also being held peacefully in city parks (the National Mall in Washington is famous for such protests), with city officials invited to speak, etc. It's like big picnic...bring the kids.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Standing by while the protesters burn the city down? Perhaps they need a better plan, like standing between the protestors and private property.
I agree, they should line up on the side of the streets not block the path of the protesters.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wonder why Jesus stood for these sinners but not for the "self-righteous" do gooders (just because they don't do any crime, they have their say what needs to be done).

You won't hear this preached in churches.....

But I tell you why... Because these self-righteous do-gooders decided to use the riches God entrusted to them for their leisure, comfort - in this fallen world - instead of using those riches to help those who also call on the Lord in their time of need.

References: Matthew 24:45-51, Luke 6:20-26

Greed (the love of money) is the root of all evil...

If you really don't love money, why didn't you use it to help those in need, instead of using them for your comfort and leisure.

Greed leads to social inequality (google social inequality) and a very large social inequality leads to lack of peace in a country. Those that God entrusted much resources are probably the most accountable in this mess.

People who have substantial wealth aren't necessarily greedy. Everyone has their wealth comfort level. Mine happens to be higher than most, but that doesn't make me greedy.

While I certainly have more money than the poor you wouldn't know it by the way I live (very minimalist, and outdated). In fact most poor people have better vehicles, furniture, and clothing than I do. Many have better homes as well. I do have a very nice workshop however.

I'll never spend the money I have on myself. It will be used to fund my eventual retirement. What is left will help keep my family out of poverty. Bad times are coming and I want them to be able to withstand the financial crises. Proverbs 13:22

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, they should line up on the side of the streets not block the path of the protesters.

That would protect the protesters and property. :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When did that ever stop?

Even that rhetorical question is revealing.

I haven't bought a gun for personal protection but I'm thinking about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't blame all of them... but in seeing very poor evidence that they, as an organisation, can be trusted to police themselves.

Had there been any consequences for the violence of the last few days?

Have any police been arrested by their co workers without the world needing to see the video footage first?
Blame the violence on the perpetrators, not the police who did not burn and loot.

Police have gone to jail. Politicians have gone to jail. School teachers have gone to jail. Protestors have gone to jail. Blocking city traffic without a permit is trespassing. Burning down other people’s buildings is arson and sometimes murder as people died in fires. Firefighters died trying to put out fires.

Some police departments have an internal affairs division to process complaints regarding police officers. Many police officers have been killed in the line of duty. They had to be prepared to use force.

When I was a child there was no such thing as school shootings. There were no church shootings. The US gun control laws are some of the worse in the world. School shootings do not happen in Canada, England, New Zealand and Australia.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Useless. Ridiculous.

The whole point of a protest is to get people involved.

The point of protests is to get other people to make the changes that you want, without changing yourself. It's an organized tantrum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Totally false.

Saying nothing or "protesting" by staying out of the way would have left justice undone. The havoc of these protests has brought some serious problems with society back into view and done some good already.

Some, but not much. Such protests have gone on as long as I can remember with little changes made. I made up a saying many years ago that is still true:

"People who take up the cause of others have probably lost their own."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Blame the violence on the perpetrators, not the police who did not burn and loot.

Police have gone to jail. Politicians have gone to jail. School teachers have gone to jail. Protestors have gone to jail. Blocking city traffic without a permit is trespassing. Burning down other people’s buildings is arson and sometimes murder as people died in fires. Firefighters died trying to put out fires.

Some police departments have an internal affairs division to process complaints regarding police officers. Many police officers have been killed in the line of duty. They had to be prepared to use force.

When I was a child there was no such thing as school shootings. There were no church shootings. The US gun control laws are some of the worse in the world. School shootings do not happen in Canada, England, New Zealand and Australia.

Police departments do have internal affairs divisions... why haven't they arrested these violent police long before we ever see videos? Why do police chiefs so rarely front up at press conferences saying that the alleged perpetrators have already been arrested, but the investigation is ongoing?

People found to have been looting and burning should absolutely be investigated, charged and convicted...

However, the polices being able to beat and even kill civilians because someone, somewhere might be dangerous is an affront to order and justice.

The point of protests is to get other people to make the changes that you want, without changing yourself. It's an organized tantrum.

That's incoherent.

How exactly is it the responsibility of civilians to make police follow the the law and actually protect the people they swore to serve?

Some, but not much. Such protests have gone on as long as I can remember with little changes made. I made up a saying many years ago that is still true:

"People who take up the cause of others have probably lost their own."
Yes small changes.

Are you seriously trying to make a piece of folk wisdom to disparage helping your neighbour?

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
How exactly is it the responsibility of civilians to make police follow the the law and actually protect the people they swore to serve?

I agree with everything you've said in this post, but this. It is our responsibilty as those who've put them in power. We failed to keep hold of it and allowed it to grow increasingly corrupt, so now it seems society senses that we must regain our hold, thus, the protests.

*The civilian-officer divide has grown too great.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who are they to protect them from? Shouldn't the police protect property in the vicinity of protests as this is where the destruction and looting also occur (Protests, Act 2-Destruction of property and looting). And doesn't the police presence endanger both police and protesters? And why protect those who throw things at you and want to abolish your job? It's crazy.

They should still fulfill their duty to serve and protect the public. No matter how shallow and annoying some protestors may be. Their free speech and safety should still matter.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Poverty will not make a man righteous. Money will not make a man righteous. Obeying God makes righteous.

The Marxists gained power in Venezuela. They have the largest oil reserves in the world. There are gasoline shortages in Venezuela. Venezuela is among the poorest nations in the Western Hemisphere. They preached about the sins of the rich not caring for the poor. They seized companies. They printed more money until inflation wrecked the widow’s savings.

If you want wealth you may need to learn diligence and essential job skills, then you might help the poor against all you wants of more money.

Why only look at countries that failed at solving social inequality????

Lookup countries like Iceland, Denmark, and also Nordic Welfare.

If you want wealth you may need to learn diligence and essential job skills, then you might help the poor against all you wants of more money.

The world acquired wealth for thousands of years exploiting and oppressing the weak and poor. A great injustice has been made. Luke 6:20-26.

You can also help the poor WAY better than money can through supernatural powers.

Of course, that supernatural provision may come in another form such as revealing (putting to light) the injustices done to the weak and poor that the whole world will see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'll never spend the money I have on myself. It will be used to fund my eventual retirement.

Luke 17:33
Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
through supernatural powers

Yes, I believe that the Body of Messiah should pray and fast on behalf of the areas where they are beginning to disband the police departments.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The mayor and city council of Minneapolis have 'hearkened' to the voice of the protesters and have plans to make an end of their police department. So that problem will be solved.

Are you seriously trying to make a piece of folk wisdom to disparage helping your neighbor?

I can help my neighbors and criticize them at the same time. Parents, and real leaders, do this all the time.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They should still fulfill their duty to serve and protect the public. No matter how shallow and annoying some protestors may be. Their free speech and safety should still matter.

I agree, up until the first rock is thrown. Then all the rules change.

Upvote 0