Why many people here use word girlfriend/boyfriend?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Where in bible is used word girlfriend/boyfriend?
So we need to abandon any word not used in the Bible? Just toss out computer, automobile, airplane, antibiotic, president, etc. Our vocabulary could get much smaller...

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why many people here use word girlfriend/boyfriend?
We must live according to bible. Where in bible is used word girlfriend/boyfriend?
Is this not fornication? Fornication means to have sexual activity without being married to the human. Kiss is fornication too, because it is sexual activity. What do you think?
I read a letter written by my relative 90 years ago on a German ship heading from Texas and Cuba to Germany, he sat between a Spanish lady and German crewman translating back and forth for them and said "They were making love", since that was the way, communication between a couple "dating" at that time would be described, it was all very innocent.

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Partial preterist, dispensationalist molinist
Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So we need to abandon any word not used in the Bible? Just toss out computer, automobile, airplane, antibiotic, president, etc. Our vocabulary could get much smaller...

Might as well include names too, seeing how they have origins and meanings. What if someone's name had a, gasp, secret evil meaning??

Speaking of which, I don't recall seeing your name in the Bible... :p

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read a letter written by my relative 90 years ago on a German ship heading from Texas and Cuba to Germany, he sat between a Spanish lady and German crewman translating back and forth for them and said "They were making love", since that was the way, communication between a couple "dating" at that time would be described, it was all very innocent.
That was probably a miss-translation of having an intellectual intercourse on some subject.

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Precisely.

I...dude, fornication means premarital sex. Please be careful with your wording; implying Judas had premarital sex with Jesus is, uh...you know.

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was probably a miss-translation of having an intellectual intercourse on some subject.

Did you know that the 'f' word has Germanic origins in which it meant 'forceful'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A kiss is fornication according to scripture when told to kiss the Son lest He be angry and then turn around and betray Him with a kiss.
How does that fit with the definition of the word "inappropriate contentia" which is what "fornication" is based on?

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it means fornication under concession of king in urban-medevil language

No--that wasn't the earliest definition. Earliest use is still semi debated, but it's thought to carry a non sexual meaning

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Might as well include names too, seeing how they have origins and meanings. What if someone's name had a, gasp, secret evil meaning??

Very true

Speaking of which, I don't recall seeing your name in the Bible... :p

Nope, Archivist isn't in there although St. Lawrence is the patron saint of--among other things--archivists.

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very true

Nope, Archivist isn't in there although St. Lawrence is the patron saint of--among other things--archivists.

Woah, there's an interesting new piece of info. I honestly had no idea what that word meant, so thanks LOL.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Mathetes66
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It’s Bella. Not Belz.

Neither the OP or the majority of your responses suggest an opinion. You equated kissing to fornication and lust. Perhaps you’ve had a change of heart.

~Bella
Ok Bella Pardon me for calling you Bellz. So how exactly have i equated this to fornication by the way? Could you pull that part out so I can go through it again please thanks.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Woah, there's an interesting new piece of info. I honestly had no idea what that word meant, so thanks LOL.
St Lawrence was librarian of the Church, which is why he is the patron saint of archivists and of librarians. He is also the patron saint of cooks and of comedians. He is the patron saint of cooks because he was literally cooked to death on a large gridiron. He is the patron saint of comedians because his last words were supposed to have been "I'm done on this side. Turn me over!"

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How does that fit with the definition of the word "inappropriate contentia" which is what "fornication" is based on?
Gimel, Aleph, Lamed is all I know. Certainly not discussing "inappropriate contentia" with someone who has a warped sence of the Songs of Solomon.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you think?

I think you are making a hasty generalization / assumption. Unless you come from a traditional Coptic Orthodox family, Indian family or some other ethnic group that still does arranged marriages, dating is how you will find your spouse. While this term is used loosely in the culture, it simply means someone you are courting etc. and in the Christian context can have innocent connotations when done with strict guidelines etc.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0