Why many people here use word girlfriend/boyfriend?

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You haven't shown this to be true in Scripture at all, simply gave your opinion. Many other posters have shown this also to be in error.

Some can kiss & show affection for another without evil lust or fornication. One must be fully convinced in one's own mind whether 'they' can kiss without being tempted to lust. Temptation is not sin, only sinning (whether mentally or physically) is sin. If one is tempted to sin when kissing, then one should abstain from kissing.

Romans 14:5,13,14,22-24 One man regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind...Therefore let us stop judging one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way.

14I am convinced & fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean IN ITSELF. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then FOR HIM it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed by what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother, for whom Christ died.Keep your belief about such matters between yourself & God.

Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But if you have doubts about whether or not you should eat something, you are sinning if you go ahead and do it. For you are not following your convictions. If you do anything you believe (proceeding from faith) is not right, you are sinning.

I Cor 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.

I Cor 10:23,24 “Everything is permissible,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible,” but not everything is edifying. No one should seek his own good, but the good of others.

I Cor 10:25-33 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, “The earth is the Lord’s & the fullness thereof.” If an unbeliever invites you to a meal & you want to go, eat anything set before you without raising questions of conscience.

28But if someone tells you, “This food was offered to idols,” then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who told you & for the sake of conscience—the other one’s conscience, I mean, not your own.

For why should my freedom be determined by someone else’s conscience? If I partake in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks? So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.

32Do not become a stumbling block, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in all I do. For I am not seeking my own good, but the good of many, that they may be saved.

Titus 1:15 To the pure, all things are pure; but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure. Indeed, both their minds and their consciences are defiled.

Your own personal experiences are yours. Putting personal judgments aside, you can admit that Christian couples can probably kiss lust free. This proves out to be true. It depends on the couple though. And no one is saying this is to be the standard.

Each person must be fully convinced in their own minds & whatever does not proceed from faith, will be sin TO THAT PERSON. Personal freedom in Christ is just that, as Paul so eloquently says--unless it defrauds, overreaches & adversely affects another person. Then personal freedom can become sin.

So, I should have shared this in the beginning of this thread. If to the OP (or anyone else), it would be sin, then don't do it. If not, then we have freedom to do so, within the holy
Temptat
I agree with you.....This would be a normal answer, which is why, I suspect, that the other posters I asked, refused to answer it.

A question to ponder, then, is......Would participating in an act that we all know, leads the body to prepare for intercourse.....acceptable? Or can we at least respect the opinion that it may not be?

THis is not necessarily for answering....just pondering.....but all answers would be respected.

Exactly my point.. Why indulge, if it might cause me sin? It's quite a controversial issue because most of us, in one way or another have, been there done that, so we might find it odd, old fashioned and totally impossible to achieve. & yet it's very possible to achieve in The Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly my point.. Why bother to indulge, if it might cause me to end up sinning? It's quite a controversial issue because most of us, in one way or another have, been there done that, so we might find it odd, old fashioned and totally impossible to achieve. & yet it's very possible to achieve in The Lord.

There you go again, appealing to that 'we' mysterious crowd & those elusive 'what if' speculative scenarios. It is not enough that you have your own personal opinion, but now lump all of us in that "we" category, dragging us all inside your own personal opinion. Why not be content with your own opinion without forcing 'us' to agree with you, which many do not in this post. Let it go. Feel free to express your own opinion but don't try & drag me with you. Thank you.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Social convention to refer to the person with whom one has a romantic relationship with prior to engagement/marriage.

We must live according to bible. Where in bible is used word girlfriend/boyfriend?

In the same part of the Bible that mentions that we have to find all the words we use in the Bible.

Is this not fornication?

It's not.

Fornication means to have sexual activity without being married to the human.

Maybe. Biblically fornication prostitution.

Kiss is fornication too, because it is sexual activity. What do you think?

I think that's a really bizarre definition of "sexual activity".

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly my point.. Why indulge, if it might cause me sin? It's quite a controversial issue because most of us, in one way or another have, been there done that, so we might find it odd, old fashioned and totally impossible to achieve. & yet it's very possible to achieve in The Lord.
I definitely understand the view that this could be wrong and those that advise against it. I Dont understand how one could dismiss the possibility or completely write off any possibility of sin where this is concerned.

I, personally, would stop short of commanding that "Thou shalt not Kiss"

I'm more for the cleansing by the spirit from the inside out... and less concerned about the appearance and forms of godliness.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is "bible" in the Bible?
2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

I have no problem calling it scripture instead of bible......but they are also used interchangeably. Do you see a word in the bible that can be used interchangeably with bf and gf?

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Already read them. Never says kissing is a sin--plenty to say about premarital sex, tho. A little bold of you to add to the word of God.

I also don't take the Church's view on sexual activity in a very good light, considering it borderline demonized the act even between a married couple if not only for the sake of procreation.

I added nothing my friend. Read the scriptures in context based on authorial intent and audience, it’s basic contextual interpretation of the scriptures.

I agree with your critique of the church’s view of sex within the context of marriage, and would add the church has done great damage pushing their views on sex onto unbelievers, who are already lost in sin and just acting normally given their condition.

The puritans were a great example of how to pursue purity, but a terrible example of how to live regarding this issue.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
We're talking about the word "Bible". Not "scripture".

So let's try again, for you and the OP.

Where is "bible" in the Bible?

• Winner
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We're talking about the word "Bible". Not "scripture". So let's try again, for you and the OP. Where is "bible" in the Bible?

Off topic. All need to get back to the topic of the OP. Thanks.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly I remember kissing a girl back in high school and that’s what it was just a kiss. A sign or affection and caring. It was so innocent. Times have changed and as an adult and a parent I would be concerned, but I remember my parents being concerned for me too.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We must live according to bible. Where in bible is used word girlfriend/boyfriend?
Is this not fornication? Fornication means to have sexual activity without being married to the human. Kiss is fornication too, because it is sexual activity. What do you think?
I have a boyfriend and we are celibate. Working on a date for marriage. So it is possible.

Upvote 0

theoneandonlypencil

Partial preterist, dispensationalist molinist
Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is it that you have the authority to make this exclamation, without referring to the Lord?

If the Lord never said kissing romantically outside of marriage was sinful, then it's not. Simple, no? I mean truly, if God didn't want us smoochin' it up before we tie the knot, he could have specified instead of using the term 'sexual immorality' which is referring to intercourse specifically.

What if the sex is not lusty? What if you find the person completely unattractive and just want to get it over with? It is then not sinful? If so, why attach lust to the act?

I think my point whooshed over your head a bit. I was inferring that the act of actively imagining having wild, lust-filled sex with someone...is lust, because it is a form of coveting and I guess mental sexual immorality? Not the act. The act of intercourse/stimulation of the sex organs is immoral outside of marriage whether it is lust-filled or not.

You are assuming I agree with the OP, and I said no such thing.....so I do not understand your question.

Never said you agreed.

• Optimistic
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theoneandonlypencil

Partial preterist, dispensationalist molinist
Oct 11, 2019
A place
✟60,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I added nothing my friend. Read the scriptures in context based on authorial intent and audience, it’s basic contextual interpretation of the scriptures.

I agree with your critique of the church’s view of sex within the context of marriage, and would add the church has done great damage pushing their views on sex onto unbelievers, who are already lost in sin and just acting normally given their condition.

The puritans were a great example of how to pursue purity, but a terrible example of how to live regarding this issue.

Again, already read them 'in context' based on intent and audience. Do you know what people were doing back then? Having sex outside of marriage, cheating on their spouses, and hiring prostitutes.

Do you know what they weren't doing?

...innocently kissing with nothing more involved.

The church's old view on sex is harmful for anyone, period. They're so obsessed with what married couples do in bed, that the church is literally the reason why oral sex is illegal in many states here in the US. Seriously, what's the point? How are you even going to KNOW if a couple is doing oral?

Furthermore, it has very harsh, negative impacts on people--to the point where they can end up judging their worth as a person based on purity, or even(in bad scenarios)be afraid of having sex when married and finding it dirty/sinful.

Upvote 0

Hannah Griffin

Dec 14, 2019
Edinburgh
✟15,916.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is this not fornication? Fornication means to have sexual activity without being married to the human. Kiss is fornication too, because it is sexual activity. What do you think?
I think we need in some cases to get with the times. There would be no way on earth that I would marry someone without kissing etc/living together. You have to try before you buy as such. You wouldn't buy a new car without test driving it first. Marriages are hard enough these days without marrying someone without living with them first or at least kissing them. If you love someone these things are natural. My parents were very much in love before they married. They were only together six months and had never had sex (so they tell me!) and they got married after six months. Then along came four children. My mother couldn't cope and the marriage ended. They stayed together for us but they slept in separate rooms and very rarely communicated, apart from when arguing. My mother ended up with severe manic depression. Because of their beliefs they never divorced. We had a very unhappy childhood and my mother always told me "never have children, it ruins your life!! She also told me to live with someone first. I took her advice, met the man of my dreams, lived with him, had no children and we are still together 25 years later and very happy. We are not married. If I am going to hell for this one thing then I would be very much surprised.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think you are over-thinking it.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you call someone boyfriend or girlfriend it means "I am dating this person exclusively, so please respect this and don't ask me out." It says all of that in one simple word instead of having to give a lengthy explanation. If someone asks you out you can say "Sorry, I already have a boyfriend/girlfriend" Unless the person is 'swine' they will respect this and back off.

What has fornication to do with having a boyfriend or girlfriend? Two separate topics.
No, I don't believe a kiss is fornication.

Definition of fornication by the
Merriam-webster

consensual sexual intercourse between two persons not married to each other
Oxford
Sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.

Not everything is in the Bible. They tended to be married off by 15 or so, so they had no need of the word. The word car and phone isn't in the Bible either, but I am sure you use the word and the items.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There you go again, appealing to that 'we' mysterious crowd & those elusive 'what if' speculative scenarios. It is not enough that you have your own personal opinion, but now lump all of us in that "we" category, dragging us all inside your own personal opinion. Why not be content with your own opinion without forcing 'us' to agree with you, which many do not in this post. Let it go. Feel free to express your own opinion but don't try & drag me with you. Thank you.

Really.. It's ok to live your life while I get on with mine. This is just a debate, no one's trying to impose anything on anyone. It seems like people are getting all sensitive over the issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0