Why is it a sin to be in an interracial relationship?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that is a complex answer but regardless if their geographies are the same they probably still carry different sociological backgrounds that are intrinsic to their race/culture but different to each other. this doesn't have to be racism but simply cultural differences that may have very different world views. I certainly wouldn't condemn it or call it sinful, if their hearts are in the right place (not just fixed on each other but fixed on God) then more power to them.

What cultural difference would that be? They're both Texas middle class suburban kids. They had exactly the same childhood.

So, let's say we have white Jim Smith who was raised in Plano TX, goes to First Baptist church in Plano TX, attended Plano High School, went to SMU. We have white Sarah Le Moy, who was raised in New York City, went to St Stephen Lutheran Church, attended Frank Sinatra School of the Arts High School, went to Harvard.

How about them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, then we have white Jim Smith who was raised in Plano TX, goes to First Baptist church in Plano TX, attended Plano High School, went to SMU. We have black June Brown, who was raised in Plano TX, goes to Mt Moriah Baptist church in Plano TX, attended Plano High School, went to SMU.

Any problem with them getting married?
I am not sure what you mean.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what you mean.

They had exactly the same childhood. What cultural differences do they have that are so severe being Christian--even the same denomination--can't overcome easily?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, let's say we have white Jim Smith who was raised in Plano TX, goes to First Baptist church in Plano TX, attended Plano High School, went to SMU. We have white Sarah Le Moy, who was raised in New York City, went to St Stephen Lutheran Church, attended Frank Sinatra School of the Arts High School, went to Harvard.

How about them?

Your two example perhaps could be at equal distance from each other. both have inherent differences that will inevitably clash and both have inherent similarities. this is also over generalizing which proves the point further that inter-cultural marriage can be difficult. Texas and New York are looked at as opposites so is white and black, so which is more opposite, which is more compatible? These reflect our perception of who people inherently are based on their social rank, geography and race but these perceptions may be completely off the mark and often look at the wrong details based on our bais, whatever that may be.

I happen to know an interracial couple native from Houston and New York City and they have a wonderful marriage dedicated to serving the Lord. It is their love of God that allows them to beat whatever odds are said should be against them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your two example perhaps could be at equal distance from each other. both have inherent differences that will inevitably clash and both have inherent similarities. this is also over generalizing which proves the point further that inter-cultural marriage can be difficult.

No, overgeneralizing only proves the point that overgeneralizing proves no point at all.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, overgeneralizing only proves the point that overgeneralizing proves no point at all.
Your logic nullifies your own examples. Prejudges are there for a reason, they may be unreasonable or even hateful but have qualifying elements that has formed them and they also reflect how most people think. This doesn't make them right or mean we should continue in them but they do at best reflect differences inherent in people based on many different factors that go well beyond race. The fact that we are even talking about this means to some degree we understand and can rationalize things based on a prejudge that may or may not be true.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The anti-miscegenation position is only "Biblically-based" when the people reading the Bible are illiterate. It's not there. Mean, stupid bigots see it there because they want it to be there, so they make it up. Which means that it's a lie and they are servants of Satan for making up a lie about what is in the Bible, and using it to encourage hatred.

It is nothing more than that, and never was. The men who made those arguments were evil and stupid, and to defend them today is ridiculous - and deserving of ridicule. It is not an intellectually or religiously defensible position. It is an argument straight from Satan's mind and mouth, nothing more.
Generations of theologians think otherwise.

You are right, peop.e read what they want to see.. some read condemnation for interracial marriages, some see the same for SSM. In 50 years I expect people will be saying exactly what you just about SSM.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The statement/question from the OP was, "I’ve heard it many times it’s a sin to be in one (interracial marriage), but have never really heard any reason or purpose why." I explained how it could be interpreted as such. I also hear some folks talk about how Jesus declares that we are all one and the same blood (paraphrasing) and as such to receive salvation through Jesus in the manner of, for example, John 3:16. But that is salvation, not about marriage.

In Genesis 2:24 "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. 25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed." In this case of the first man and first woman on earth would have been no need to consider segregation as the Tower of Babel had not occurred therefore we were all one race. Then Jesus reiterates this from Genesis with Matthew 19, "Have ye not read, (pointing to Genesis 2:24) that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? There is man and woman distinguished, but no mention of race or mixed race marriage here. At this time there HAD the Tower of Babel and there were different races yet nothing is said about it and probably wouldn't have been as in Matthew they are trying to trap Jesus.

But the most compelling is with Peter in Acts 10:10 "...he (Simon Peter) fell into a trance 11 and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14 But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15 And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.”16 This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven. (You can read the rest for yourself but picking up in verse 25) 25 When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am a man.” 27 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many persons gathered. 28 And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean.

As far as I am concerned, in the absence of any specific, concrete statement concerning interracial marriage, it is made clear in this account that the message and compassion and love of God is for all of mankind who calls Jesus Lord. So if a man and woman are of like mind in loving God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, they have been found deserving in God's eyes. It is not for me to say that their marriage is a sin. Only if they are not of the same spiritual mind and unable to follow the Lord as intended would I venture to say anything about it is a sin.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Generations of theologians think otherwise.

You are right, peop.e read what they want to see.. some read condemnation for interracial marriages, some see the same for SSM. In 50 years I expect people will be saying exactly what you just about SSM.

Generations of bigots, liars and fools.

Some see alcohol forbidden, some see a requirement to do no work on Sunday, some see an infallible papacy while others see nothing but a congregation.

There seems to be an infinite variety of things for the religious to quarrel about, which is why religion is fading everywhere.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Generations of bigots, liars and fools.

Some see alcohol forbidden, some see a requirement to do no work on Sunday, some see an infallible papacy while others see nothing but a congregation.

There seems to be an infinite variety of things for the religious to quarrel about, which is why religion is fading everywhere.
Since you seem so knowledgeable of how things are what do you make of this verse? "Matthew 5:22 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since you seem so knowledgeable of how things are what do you make of this verse? "Matthew 5:22 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

It means that I am in danger of hell fire, of course, unless I am forgiven.

Jesus told me that to be forgiven, I have to forgive. And I do forgive the racists, bigots and fools of the past, to the extent they have harmed me and mine. And those in the present, who persist in their stupid bigotry - they can't help it - they're a product of their culture and education and are not able to rise above it - and in the modern world, that is more and more of a liability for them: if they express their racism out loud they lost jobs, money, status and are beaten down by a society that has lost its patience with the knuckle-draggers on this matter. American society has become as intolerant of racists as racist American society was of uppity blacks. So when some bigot behind the hood gets exposed and loses his livelihood, one can only hope that the stripes and the utter loss of all will make him submit to the new reality, rather than persist in following the long and sorry path of Satan down into the pit.

If I don't forgive the bigoted fools, to the extent I have anything to forgive them for anything (after all, nobody of any significance has ever directed any racism at ME), then I will be joining them in the fiery pit at the end, unforgiven myself, for being unforgiving towards their sins when I have my own that need forgiving.

That's what that passage means. It's Mk 1, Mod 0 Christianity, straight from Christ. If you want to be forgiven your sins, you have to forgive other men theirs. If you don't, or won't, then PFFFFT - you're headed into the fire with them.

I think that about sums it up. Any more questions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It means that I am in danger of hell fire, of course, unless I am forgiven.

Jesus told me that to be forgiven, I have to forgive. And I do forgive the racists, bigots and fools of the past, to the extent they have harmed me and mine. And those in the present, who persist in their stupid bigotry - they can't help it - they're a product of their culture and education and are not able to rise above it - and in the modern world, that is more and more of a liability for them: if they express their racism out loud they lost jobs, money, status and are beaten down by a society that has lost its patience with the knuckle-draggers on this matter. American society has become as intolerant of racists as racist American society was of uppity blacks. So when some bigot behind the hood gets exposed and loses his livelihood, one can only hope that the stripes and the utter loss of all will make him submit to the new reality, rather than persist in following the long and sorry path of Satan down into the pit.

If I don't forgive the bigoted fools, to the extent I have anything to forgive them for anything (after all, nobody of any significance has ever directed any racism at ME), then I will be joining them in the fiery pit at the end, unforgiven myself, for being unforgiving towards their sins when I have my own that need forgiving.

That's what that passage means. It's Mk 1, Mod 0 Christianity, straight from Christ. If you want to be forgiven your sins, you have to forgive other men theirs. If you don't, or won't, then PFFFFT - you're headed into the fire with them.

I think that about sums it up. Any more questions?
Nope. None at all.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That Mk 1 Mod 0 Christianity to me, so if it does not correspond to anything at all that you believe, then we really are of two different religions, and there’s nothing much more to be said other than good luck, Godspeed, and thank you for your interesting story of your background. I appreciated that.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope. None at all.
. I might have misread you. You might be saying you have no questions at all, not that you disagreed with it all. In that case, we actually may see down the same sight line, and that’s an encouraging thought. In any case, I appreciated the personal story you told.

Upvote 0

BGW

May 29, 2018
Ohio
Visit site
✟21,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that is in the Bible. The closest it comes to that is that God told the Israelites to not intermarry with many of their neighbors during the time of its founding. However, this wasn't because of their race, but because He didn't want them to chase after other gods, which they ended up doing all the time throughout the Old Testament.

The Bible says not to be unequally yoked. That basically means to not marry an unbeliever.

To be clear, if someone finds themselves married to an unbeliever because he/she made a decision to become a Christian, then they are NOT to divorce, but to stay married to that person in hopes of winning them over to Jesus.

BGW
BHive Stories

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The Bible says not to be unequally yoked. That basically means to not marry an unbeliever.
And those seeking to denounce interracial marriages would connect this to the curse of Ham taking the unequal yoke to include social inferiors.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
And those seeking to denounce interracial marriages would connect this to the curse of Ham taking the unequal yoke to include social inferiors.
So ? The world is full of detractors and sinners and unbelief.

Followers of Jesus don't consider anyone in Christ as a social inferior.

• Agree
Reactions: BGW
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yep, that what they did. Revealing their illiteracy and tale-spinning about the "curse of Ham".

Upvote 0

BGW

May 29, 2018
Ohio
Visit site
✟21,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Then they would be misusing the Bible to twist it into what they want it to say. No one is a social inferior as we all are children of the living God. All of us are sinners and all of us have been presented the free gift of eternal salvation. It is just up to each person to decide if they want to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Upvote 0