NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My view regarding music is that it isn't the beat, the chord structure, the genre, etc. that makes it secular/Christian, but rather the lyrical content that defines it as such. For example, I like to listen to hard rock/heavy metal bands like Skillet, Red, and Pillar, where even though the sound is very much rock music, one look at the lyrics is all you need to know that those bands are decidedly Christian and not secular. So bottom line is that one should judge rock music based on what the lyrics say, and not other factors.

Reactions: Caminator
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I luckily haven't had parents like that but, I've known kids who came from Christian homes like that where they say, "absolutely no rock music".

This reminds me: I was actually acquainted with a family like that when I was a teenager. They were very strict when it came to a lot of things, including music issues, and the father in the family firmly believed that CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) was "not anointed" (his words); their kids weren't even allowed to listen to it. They only listened to (and performed) Southern Gospel music (though I wouldn't have called the music they sang "Southern Gospel" - theirs, to me, was more the hilly, folksy, "grass-roots" type music). Now personally, I don't find anything wrong with that at all; in fact, I have grown over the years to really appreciate and enjoy a wide variety of music, and that includes Southern Gospel, country, and bluegrass. I also understand, as I stated in an earlier post, that some people honestly have convictions against such things. What I didn't like is that I felt a bit intimidated around him because I knew his views on music and how fiercely outspoken he was about them, so much that I was listening to a Crystal Lewis tape one day, and when this guy popped over to visit, I scrambled around to shut the music off for fear he would think of me as an "ungodly heathen" simply for not sharing his conviction. Christians shouldn't have to feel that way around one another with Christ as the common bond, but sadly, it happens sometimes. It was also during this time that I went through a phase of hating anything "country" or "southern" because, let's face it, these were my impressionable teen years and because I still had a desire to fit in somewhat with my peers (without compromising moral standards), I didn't want to be viewed as a "hick" or a "nerd". Things have changed a lot since that time (I'm a little bit nerdy, and I embrace it)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This issue isn't limited to rock or metal music. Have any of you watched a music video lately? Lada Gaga, Kesha, Katy Perry, Beyonce. The imagery is glaring and obvious.

If this symbol means nothing:

666_ha33.jpg

Then why do so many within the music and entertainment industry constantly display it?

Beyonce+Illuminati+(1).jpg

It's funny that I was just talking about this exact sort of thing in another thread right before this, how hypocrites love to stir up protest over things in the media they either mistakenly or deliberately misconstrue to fit upon their own moral high horse.

Yeah, and you were wrong then as well. I am sure this:

kpgrammy2.jpg

Is all about saving the trees, or something like that.

From the lyrics of AC/DC's Highway to Hell, quote:

"Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
Ain't nothing I would rather do
Going down, party time
My friends are gonna be there too

Hey Satan, paid my dues
Playing in a rocking band
Hey Momma, look at me
I'm on my way to the promised land

I'm on the highway to hell..."

How can you miss the message here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sistrin, there are hundreds of thousands of songs out there in the last 10 years alone. You identify a single song, that is really just being rebellious, because Rock's always had that rebellious streak and suggest it somehow means something.

I posted lyrics from that particular song in rebuttal to the argument previously made "Highway to Hell" was about the stress of touring. It isn't. In addition all lyrics mean something. On those rare occasions when an artist is directly asked they may waffle around with their answer, but lyrics are written with purpose. Most times discerning that purpose is only a matter of reading them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I posted lyrics from that particular song in rebuttal to the argument previously made "Highway to Hell" was about the stress of touring. It isn't. In addition all lyrics mean something. On those rare occasions when an artist is directly asked they may waffle around with their answer, but lyrics are written with purpose. Most times discerning that purpose is only a matter of reading them.

Bolding mine.

Only if you count gibberish sung to the dog as meaning something!

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only if you count gibberish sung to the dog as meaning something!

They mean something to the dog.

Seriously, this argumentative technique is feeble if not implausible. Do you really want me, or anyone else who may read this, to believe you couldn't read my post and understand I was referring to song lyrics written by music artist? Having read various post of yours I know better, therefore I don't understand why you want to go down this road.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From the lyrics of AC/DC's Highway to Hell, quote:

"Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
Ain't nothing I would rather do
Going down, party time
My friends are gonna be there too

Hey Satan, paid my dues
Playing in a rocking band
Hey Momma, look at me
I'm on my way to the promised land

I'm on the highway to hell..."

How can you miss the message here?

Speaking of missing the message: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1178

I'm one of those kids who was raised in an anti-rock church and household. I was strong-willed and rebellious so of course ... I not only listened to the music, I fronted a band. :D

I've researched and soul-searched this issue for decades. Certainly, there is a fair amount of anti-Christian sentiment in rock and roll ... as well as virtually all other forms of music. Anti-Christian sentiment is far from unique to rock music. Even early hymns were based on tunes "borrowed" from tavern songs that were far from Christ-centered. Any number of classical composers and performers were just as sinful as the most sinful rock musicians. Music, not just rock music, is like anything else. The moment it comes between you and God, it is sinful.

My $0.02 is that "Christian" parents latched onto rock & roll as representative of rebellion (change) in the 50's and labeled it specifically as "evil" to give them a reason to keep their kids from the music of change - just as their parents may have done with blues or jazz before them.

Reactions: PastorBen
Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of missing the message:

I have read that Canning Highway story before. The question no one ever bothers to ask in regard to it is, if the song is about driving down to some bar to drink with the boys, why include a call to and acknowledgement of satan in the lyrics?

As others have said rock music always has embraced rebellion against traditional or traditionalist values. However that truth does not preclude some other issue being in play, some other embedded agenda. The OP ask "why exactly is rock music satanic?" With all due respect to the OP, that is the wrong question to ask. The question should be framed to highlight the fact pop music in general is and has been for many years heavily influenced by satanic imagery and message.

During the 1980's album covers were a primary means to promote the message and imagery the music industry and individual musicians wanted to promote. Music videos were a fledgling media. Album covers such as that featured on Black Sabbaths "Sabbath bloody Sabbath," which I can't even post here due do forum restrictions, became a familiar norm. Christians saw album covers promoting imagery such as this:

album-holy-diver-live.jpg

Or this:

a3ac7650bf67267d6fd0df743070fcb4.jpg

And asked the legitimate question do those producing and promoting this material actually expect us to believe the use of such imagery is only about promoting sales to rebellious teens? Is that really what you believe?

When addressing this issue, and indeed any issue which includes satanic influence upon a particular media, the first duty of any Christian is acknowledging the rules of the game. As a rule Christians tend to approach such issues with a genuine desire for the truth, a genuine desire to codify an answer and then attempt to incorporate that answer into their faith. For satanist there are no rules. There are only tools to be utilized in promoting the agenda, the first and most important of which is the lie. The Canning Highway story is just that, a lie promoted to deflect the criticism of those who questioned. In those days inclusion of the satanic message in pop music could be described as in adherence to a quote from Freidrich Neitzsche:

"If only a few hundred people get from this music what I get from it, then we will have a completely new culture."

The message was there to be seen and heard. From the lyrics of AC/DC's song "Hell's Bells:"

"I'll give you black sensations up and down your spine
If you're into evil you're a friend of mine
See my white light flashing as I split the night
Cause if good's on the left,
Then I'm stickin' to the right

I won't take no prisoners, won't spare no lives
Nobody's puttin' up a fight
I got my bell, I'm gonna take you to hell
I'm gonna get you, Satan get you..."

The backward masking issue was a diversion, seized upon by fans of rock music and satanist alike in an attempt to promote Christians as ignorant conspiracy theorist. The truth was in order to hear the message as voiced in a significant percentage of the music all one had to do was listen to what was being said. And see what was being shown.

I've researched and soul-searched this issue for decades. Certainly, there is a fair amount of anti-Christian sentiment in rock and roll...

As I said prior, that isn't limited to rock and metal music. Current pop music and video is rife with the same messages, only often more blatant. Lada Gaga's video for the song "Bad Romance" is the perfect example. Another would be Kesha's "Die Young." At times the message is subtle, but there for those willing to see.

Anti-Christian sentiment is far from unique to rock music.

True. It permeates modern society.

My $0.02 is that "Christian" parents latched onto rock & roll as representative of rebellion (change) in the 50's and labeled it specifically as "evil" to give them a reason to keep their kids from the music of change - just as their parents may have done with blues or jazz before them.

Timothy Leary talked about it. As did Anton Levay. According to David Bowie rock was always the devil's music (Rolling Stone, Feb. 12, 1976). Perhaps at one time the majority of parents cared enough to really know what they were doing. In today's world very little effort is being made to hide the agenda. As Marilyn Manson said years ago:

"I don't know if anyone has really understood what we're trying to do. This isn't just about shock value . . . that's just there to lure the people in. Once we've got em we can give em our MESSAGE." (Hit Parader, Oct. 1996, p.28)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I have read that Canning Highway story before. The question no one ever bothers to ask in regard to it is, if the song is about driving down to some bar to drink with the boys, why include a call to and acknowledgement of satan in the lyrics?
Because much of Rock, Metal has always been implicitly rebellious and Christianity, especially in the 70's and 80's is the status quo. Invoking Satan, demons, anti-christian themes, hedonism (although the hedonism could be separated entirely as the context of which much music is consumed) is merely a consequence of that.

What would you have escapist styles of music sing about?

As others have said rock music always has embraced rebellion against traditional or traditionalist values. However that truth does not preclude some other issue being in play, some other embedded agenda. The OP ask "why exactly is rock music satanic?" With all due respect to the OP, that is the wrong question to ask. The question should be framed to highlight the fact pop music in general is and has been for many years heavily influenced by satanic imagery and message.
This is extremely alarmist. For example, sticking to Rock music, the emergence of Grunge, Post-Grunge and Alternative Rock, which make up a huge proportion of modern rock basically abandoned the lyrical themes found in hard rock (which has more often been generally hedonistic than anti-christian).

Then there's the Indie Rock movement which doesn't even have the angst or anger of Alternative Rock. These two styles which basically wiped out the mainstream appeal of Glam Rock and Classic Rock don't tend to have any kind pro-satan/anti-christianity themes whatsoever.

This is not forgetting the Progressive Rock scene which has basically existed since the emergence of Rock music. Not as commercially successful as Classic Rock but easily as well-regarded - this style has a wide array of lyrical themes.

Onto Metal, Metal has evolved and diverged considerably. We now have Power Metal which is a complete aversion of the typical aggression, rebellion and anti-religious tendencies of Metal.

We also have, like in Rock, Progressive Metal which tends to have a wide array of lyrical themes and is more concerned with musicianship and, if I'm being cynical, musical navalgazing.

Even Death Metal, Black Metal have evolved stylistically and lyrically with styles like Blackgaze and Atmospheric Black Metal that sing about the Canadian Wilderness.

Then there's Symphonic Metal, Folk Metal which tend to have themes of cultural heritage, paganism, viking and nature.

During the 1980's album covers were a primary means to promote the message and imagery the music industry and individual musicians wanted to promote. Music videos were a fledgling media. Album covers such as that featured on Black Sabbaths "Sabbath bloody Sabbath," which I can't even post here due do forum restrictions, became a familiar norm. Christians saw album covers promoting imagery such as this:
Do you really think those album covers represent something disturbing? Do you really think their overuse in Metal and fantasy (since Metal is extremely escapist and draws heavily from fantasy and sci-fi) means something?

And asked the legitimate question do those producing and promoting this material actually expect us to believe the use of such imagery is only about promoting sales to rebellious teens? Is that really what you believe?
What is it that you think it is about? Do you think every band that vaguely alludes to the occult, witchcraft, satan in their album art imagery and/or in their lyrics has an identical agenda in mind?

As I said prior, that isn't limited to rock and metal music. Current pop music and video is rife with the same messages, only often more blatant. Lada Gaga's video for the song "Bad Romance" is the perfect example. Another would be Kesha's "Die Young." At times the message is subtle, but there for those willing to see.
Given the diversity of modern pop music, this seems fantastically ignorant, as usual.

Timothy Leary talked about it. As did Anton Levay. According to David Bowie rock was always the devil's music (Rolling Stone, Feb. 12, 1976). Perhaps at one time the majority of parents cared enough to really know what they were doing. In today's world very little effort is being made to hide the agenda. As Marilyn Manson said years ago:

"I don't know if anyone has really understood what we're trying to do. This isn't just about shock value . . . that's just there to lure the people in. Once we've got em we can give em our MESSAGE." (Hit Parader, Oct. 1996, p.28)
Can you tell us what it is you think this "message" is?

Can you also tell us what the ideal solution is? The abdication of all references to the occult, witchcraft, paganism, satan in popular culture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because much of Rock, Metal has always been implicitly rebellious and Christianity, especially in the 70's and 80's is the status quo. Invoking Satan, demons, anti-christian themes, hedonism (although the hedonism could be separated entirely as the context of which much music is consumed) is merely a consequence of that.

The church of satan was established by Anton LaVey on April 30th, 1966. Walpurgisnacht, incidentally. As stated prior a number of both Hollywood's and the music industry's finest were drawn to it.

In June of 1972 Time Magazine published an article entitled "The Occult Revival: A Substitute Faith."

1101720619_400.jpg

Music began to reflect this, and it hasn't stopped since. You say invoking both demons and satan in music is merely a consequence of the rebellious nature of rock or metal music. I believe it is the other way around. Invoking demons and satan in music is a reflection of the adopted faith, not acts restricted to simple rebellion. For those inclined to engage in demonic invocation rebellion was only the first step.

Rex Church, formally a high priest in the church of satan, articulated it thus:

"We feel that a cleansing of an idiot ideology of the (terms mocking Christ) is in order, so this is something that the church of satan is conducting on many different avenues. We're doing this through the use of what we have called aesthetic terrorism. This involves the creative use of art, music, writing, effectively what we call propaganda and the dissemination of information to influence what we call iron youth."

This is a direct acknowledgement of the agenda to target youth, and it is nothing new. In 1956 Minister Albert Carter stated his view on the issue:

“The effect of rock and roll on young people, is to turn them into devil worshippers; to stimulate self expression through sex; to provoke lawlessness; impair nervous stability and destroy the sanctity of marriage. It is an evil influence on the youth of our country.”

Carter was an absolutist. I have never made the claim all music is satanic. My point here is to illustrate the satanic influence on music, a phenomenon which isn't limited to rock and metal:

What would you have escapist styles of music sing about?

Something other than this. From Black Sabbath's Selling My Soul:

“He drives me crazy, he won't go away, Playing his game every night and everyday, I can't hold on, I'm losing control, I’m paying the price now for selling my soul.”

Life can be hard enough without adding the burden of selling out to the nihilistic nature of satanism.

This is extremely alarmist.

I don't see illustrating the truth as alarmist. As cited above Marilyn Manson stated the imagery is the hook:

Keha-Spirit-Journey-Tweet-Die-Young-Video-Illuminati-e1353385950696.jpg

The delivery of the message is the goal:

"Young hearts, out our minds
Runnin' till we outta time
Wild childs, lookin' good
Livin' hard just like we should
Don't care whose watching when we tearing it up (you know)
That magic that we got nobody can touch...
Let's make the most of the night like we're gonna die young
We're gonna die young"

The message here isn't restricted to a literal call to die young. The message is to discard notions of moral restraint and do what thou wilt as if you will die young.

For example, sticking to Rock music, the emergence of Grunge, Post-Grunge and Alternative Rock...Indie Rock...Progressive Rock...Power Metal...Progressive Metal...

I used to listen to alternative rock. Somewhere I must have missed the message being about valuing maturity, honesty, modesty, dignity, and good etiquette.

You are making the same argument Matt did, that in order for me to speak to this issue I first have to have listened to every form of music produced by every artist out there. No, I don't. Your argument would only be valid if I was making the claim all music was satanic, which for at least the third time now is an argument I have not made. I am illustrating the satanic influence on modern music in general. And the influence is everywhere.

From an article published in Spin Magazine in 1996 featuring an interview with Tori Amos, quote:

"I wanted to marry Lucifer, even though I had a crush on Jesus. Lucifer was the brother holding the space for mankind/womankind to act out their fears and hidden secrets, things they won't acknowledge. That's what the shadow is, the side that's been denied, and once you don't deny your shadow anymore then it's not a perversion of that energy source. I don't consider Lucifer an evil force. We can all tap into that free running current of distorted energy.

I feel such a sadness for him...I cry and feel his presence with his music. I feel like he comes and sits on my piano."

Korn lead singer Jonathan Davis performs under the nom de guerre JDevil, and indulges in the lovely hobby of buying serial killer memorabilia. Which might explain this album cover:

korn-sickos2.jpg

The Prince song "Little Red Corvette" wasn't about a car. Have you ever read the lyrics to The Offspring's "Self Esteem?" System of A Down sang their version of the Aleister Crowley maxim Do What Thou Wilt. The video for the ICP song "Hate Her To Death" opens with a teen walking into a school carrying a knife on a mission to kill a girl. Watch the video for the Death in Vegas song "Dirt." It is riddled not only with satanic imagery, but imagery of a quite disturbing nature. Look closely at her eyes and teeth:

0.jpg

This phenomena permeates rap and hip hop as well:

“I sold my soul to the devil. It’s cold on this level. This is hell, go get the devil and get me the key but can’t be worst than the curse that was given to me. It’s what I live for, you take away that and I’m gone. New artists to sell they souls.” - DMX

Then there's Symphonic Metal, Folk Metal which tend to have themes of cultural heritage, paganism, viking and nature.

Paganism and the worship of nature. Ok, thanks for proving my point.

Do you really think those album covers represent something disturbing? Do you really think their overuse in Metal and fantasy (since Metal is extremely escapist and draws heavily from fantasy and sci-fi) means something?

Marilyn Manson once received a letter from a twelve year old written in blood. Why would that be? However yes, the album covers represent something disturbing. They represent an invitation. In the same sense a Baptist minister may put out a flyer inviting people to come hear the word of God, album covers such as those illustrated invite people to come hear the word of satan.

What is it that you think it is about? Do you think every band that vaguely alludes to the occult, witchcraft, satan in their album art imagery and/or in their lyrics has an identical agenda in mind?

Satanism is a cult with its own tenets and bylaws. It has what by now is a well articulated agenda promoted by the faithful. No, I do not believe each and every band which may make some allusion to the occult is comprised by devotees to satan. I just know it doesn't matter. It all serves the agenda.

Given the diversity of modern pop music, this seems fantastically ignorant, as usual.

Did you bother to look into the examples cited? If not, I am not the one displaying their ignorance. However again you argue from a false premise.

Can you tell us what it is you think this "message" is?

I have addressed this above. However no one has to think what this message is. It is clearly and openly articulated for all to plainly see.

“Hey kids, it’s Satan. Thanks a lot for coming on down to The show tonight. Hope you all had a great time. I know I did.” - Blink-182

Can you also tell us what the ideal solution is? The abdication of all references to the occult, witchcraft, paganism, satan in popular culture?

Man exercises free will. Which means such an abdication will not take place until Jesus returns. In the meantime what we as Christians can do is continue to illustrate what is occurring. And hope that message benefits someone.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
The church of satan was established by Anton LaVey on April 30th, 1966. Walpurgisnacht, incidentally. As stated prior a number of both Hollywood's and the music industry's finest were drawn to it.

In June of 1972 Time Magazine published an article entitled "The Occult Revival: A Substitute Faith."
The Church of Satan has always been an irrelevant fringe 'movement'. It's existence is completely irrelevant to 99.9% of all music.

Music began to reflect this, and it hasn't stopped since. You say invoking both demons and satan in music is merely a consequence of the rebellious nature of rock or metal music.
Except, of course, that demons aren't invoked even 10% of the time in Rock or Metal. Sometimes a song might reference something obliquely 'demonic' or 'satanic'. Other times, when the occult is referenced, it is done in that the band or artist likes to sing about fantasy themes.

Demonic references are a subset of bands that sing about fantasy themes. In Rock they barely register. Metal, which is considerably more escapist, they come up more, but I doubt that fantasy themes make up anymore than 30-50% (only a subset include 'satanic' messages).

I believe it is the other way around. Invoking demons and satan in music is a reflection of the adopted faith, not acts restricted to simple rebellion. For those inclined to engage in demonic invocation rebellion was only the first step.
Do you honestly believe that every artist or band that namedrops the occult or satan genuinely believe in them? Do you think that fiction is never just fiction?

Rex Church, formally a high priest in the church of satan, articulated it thus:

"We feel that a cleansing of an idiot ideology of the (terms mocking Christ) is in order, so this is something that the church of satan is conducting on many different avenues. We're doing this through the use of what we have called aesthetic terrorism. This involves the creative use of art, music, writing, effectively what we call propaganda and the dissemination of information to influence what we call iron youth."
I don't really care what "Rex Church" thinks. He doesn't control the literally hundreds of thousands of rock and metal bands out there over the last 40 years.

This is a direct acknowledgement of the agenda to target youth, and it is nothing new. In 1956 Minister Albert Carter stated his view on the issue:

“The effect of rock and roll on young people, is to turn them into devil worshippers; to stimulate self expression through sex; to provoke lawlessness; impair nervous stability and destroy the sanctity of marriage. It is an evil influence on the youth of our country.”
Are you a Cromwellian Puritan?

Carter was an absolutist. I have never made the claim all music is satanic. My point here is to illustrate the satanic influence on music, a phenomenon which isn't limited to rock and metal:

Lol

Yup. He didn't look like he was just saying random incoherent crap. Is that rambling really convincing to you?

Something other than this.
This isn't really an answer. Are you saying that singing about fantasy, sci-fi and 'dark' themes should be off limits? Why?

From Black Sabbath's Selling My Soul:

“He drives me crazy, he won't go away, Playing his game every night and everyday, I can't hold on, I'm losing control, I’m paying the price now for selling my soul.”

Life can be hard enough without adding the burden of selling out to the nihilistic nature of satanism.
I can fetch you far worse lyrics from Death Metal. Who cares what Black Sabbath sung about? They're one of the early Metal bands that sung about the occult and general 'dark' things.

I don't see illustrating the truth as alarmist. As cited above Marilyn Manson stated the imagery is the hook:
Marilyn Manson was (is) an large ham when it comes to performance.

I used to listen to alternative rock. Somewhere I must have missed the message being about valuing maturity, honesty, modesty, dignity, and good etiquette.
You must desire for the world to model Pleasantville or, worse, Libria.

You seem to want all music to only, at all times, promote virtue, promote good values and not be remotely daring, or interesting. Part of the appeal of performers like Marilyn Manson (and any lyricist) is that they write lyrics that are implicitly about breaking tradition and overpowering authority.

Also the amount of absurdly sickly Post-Grunge and Alternative Rock artists that sing about 'breaking free' is ridiculously high.

You are making the same argument Matt did, that in order for me to speak to this issue I first have to have listened to every form of music produced by every artist out there. No, I don't. Your argument would only be valid if I was making the claim all music was satanic, which for at least the third time now is an argument I have not made. I am illustrating the satanic influence on modern music in general. And the influence is everywhere.
What's obvious is that you have barely listened to a fraction of modern music, Rock music and Metal music in general. From the pathetic amount you've actually heard, you use it as a stick to attack everything else.

From an article published in Spin Magazine in 1996 featuring an interview with Tori Amos, quote:

"I wanted to marry Lucifer, even though I had a crush on Jesus. Lucifer was the brother holding the space for mankind/womankind to act out their fears and hidden secrets, things they won't acknowledge. That's what the shadow is, the side that's been denied, and once you don't deny your shadow anymore then it's not a perversion of that energy source. I don't consider Lucifer an evil force. We can all tap into that free running current of distorted energy.

I feel such a sadness for him...I cry and feel his presence with his music. I feel like he comes and sits on my piano."
Sounds like that Tori Amos just doesn't like Christianity very much, based on cursory google observation. I reckon she's a new age type.

Korn lead singer Jonathan Davis performs under the nom de guerre JDevil, and indulges in the lovely hobby of buying serial killer memorabilia. Which might explain this album cover:
Because no-one's ever used the word "Devil" in a stage name ever! This is far weaker than your extract of a Tori Amos interview 20 years ago.

The Prince song "Little Red Corvette" wasn't about a car. Have you ever read the lyrics to The Offspring's "Self Esteem?" System of A Down sang their version of the Aleister Crowley maxim Do What Thou Wilt. The video for the ICP song "Hate Her To Death" opens with a teen walking into a school carrying a knife on a mission to kill a girl. Watch the video for the Death in Vegas song "Dirt." It is riddled not only with satanic imagery, but imagery of a quite disturbing nature. Look closely at her eyes and teeth:
Part of what you're missing here is that Satanism, or aspects of the occult and dark themes are simply embedded in popular culture as a byproduct of Christian influence.

Because you're clearly a fundamentalist, you interpret that as popular culture and society as being intrinsically and diametrically opposed to God. But you seem to regard absolutely everything as being opposed to God. You don't like any negative or 'dark' theme in culture at all. You don't seem to like fantasy, sci-fi, rebellion, sexual liberation (I'm just guessing now). You don't even like (as the quote below shows) bands singing about nature.

You're clearly a cultural philistine.

and the worship of nature. Ok, thanks for proving my point.
What?

Are you saying that bands shouldn't sing about nature (I never actually used the term "worship" by the way - that's your fiction)? Are you saying that singing about historical pagan traditions in Europe should be off-limits?

Marilyn Manson once received a letter from a twelve year old written in blood. Why would that be?
Marilyn Manson is not a Metal artist.

In any case, people send stupid stuff to artists all the time. You're going to cite a single unsourced incident to a single artist as evidence that occult and dark imagery in Metal is a bad thing?

However yes, the album covers represent something disturbing. They represent an invitation. In the same sense a Baptist minister may put out a flyer inviting people to come hear the word of God, album covers such as those illustrated invite people to come hear the word of satan.
No they don't.

Most bands just want a cool cover they can use to promote their music. Especially now. Many of my albums have phoenixes, dragons, knights, planets, swords, spells etc on them. Is that bad? Should fantasy be banned?

Satanism is a cult with its own tenets and bylaws. It has what by now is a well articulated agenda promoted by the faithful. No, I do not believe each and every band which may make some allusion to the occult is comprised by devotees to satan. I just know it doesn't matter. It all serves the agenda.
What agenda is that exactly? What is the endgame?

Did you bother to look into the examples cited? If not, I am not the one displaying their ignorance. However again you argue from a false premise.
You've probably heard about 1% of the sum total of all Pop music.

I have addressed this above. However no one has to think what this message is. It is clearly and openly articulated for all to plainly see.

“Hey kids, it’s Satan. Thanks a lot for coming on down to The show tonight. Hope you all had a great time. I know I did.” - Blink-182
I actually think bands like that say things like that just to get the quills up on puritans like yourself.

Man exercises free will. Which means such an abdication will not take place until Jesus returns. In the meantime what we as Christians can do is continue to illustrate what is occurring. And hope that message benefits someone.
Do you think fantasy and sci-fi is evil?

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm mostly curious as to the reasons why. Is it the lyrics? Well, can't a person avoid songs with lyrics about suicide, anti religion, drugs, or lyrics that people/God might find offensive? Why label ALL rock music?

I mean, why are Christian rock bands bad? Because they still use that sign that apparently means "Hail Satan?" Where does it say that the sign means hail Satan? Because it apparently looks like a couple of horns? I can think of many other hand gestures that exist that look like a pair of horns, are they all evil? And if it did, why does that matter? Because it mostly means "rock on" now.

I heard the saying that everything we do should be to glorify God but, I don't get how that can possibly work in this sinful world. Sin is literally all around us, isn't what we're supposed to do is try NOT to sin? Because, humans aren't perfect. We're always going to go sin again, isn't what's important that we confess and repent for our sins and try not to sin? I mean, if we lived in a world without sin we'd just be sitting on our beds doing nothing in the day and sleeping at night but, sleep can turn to sin too. So, It's just not POSSIBLE to 100% only do things that aren't sinful and glorify God. I'm not saying glorifying God isn't important... it just can't possibly be every second of our lives. Plus, isn't that why Jesus died? Because God realized everything that I'm saying and gave us a savior?

I just... can't possibly imagine a world in which this works, sorry. And, that's kind of the point heaven is supposed to be unbelievable. Maybe people can finally explain this to me?
It's not satanic. It's soulful...and the soul of mankind is fallen.

So, then, if we are to declare rock music satanic, we may as well declare mankind satanic. Those who do so judge without authority from God, and are ruled (shamefully) by their own piety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Church of Satan has always been an irrelevant fringe 'movement'.

Yeah. That is the narrative promoted for many years, but lately satanist have been more open and direct:

Satanic Temple Holds First State-Sanctioned Ceremony at Michigan State Capitol

"Just in time for Christmas, The Satanic Temple of Detroit held a Satanic ceremony on the steps of the state Capitol in Lansing, Michigan on December 19, 2015. Members dressed in black held black and white American flags. The group has posted a video of the event on YouTube, and a transcript can be found here.

The speech began with, “Hail comrades. Hail sisters and brothers. Hail Satan.”

“We are gathered here to celebrate the spirit of humanity and the dawn of a New American Era…”

The dawn of a New American Era, words embedded with a clear call to arms. The event was...hosted...by Jex Blackmore (a name reminiscent of Zev Bellringer), the local directer of the Satanic Temple in Detroit. Her 'new American era' mantra is a constant staple of current satanist dogma. As is, of course, blaming Christianity for perceived social evil. From WRN:

SATANIC TEMPLE PERFORMS ITS FIRST PUBLIC CEREMONY AT MICHIGAN STATE CAPITOL

"THE SATANIC TEMPLE HELD IT’S FIRST STATE-SANCTIONED CEREMONY."

“The word of god has been evoked time and time again to justify opposition to the civil rights movement, to squash women’s liberation, and stand in the way of same-sex marriage. This is not ‘religious freedom.’ The inclusion of all is not oppression and the voices of the minority are not without value… These so-called ‘godly’ institutions call themselves a victim and call for radicalization – they are a snare upon our hooves. America is not an instrument of any one religious group.”

Satanism isn't new, it has been active in various forms since the beginning of recorded history. In context of the age we live in it is becoming more open and mainstream. Satanist hate Christ and Christianity. Which is an interesting concept, when you consider it in light of their response to other religions. Islam, for example. But I digress. They discuss the issue on forum boards such as the 600 Club, where I found this comment posted by Claudia:

"I don't hate them personally. Although most are hypocrites and/or retards. Despite not having met one who isn't like that, I'd like to believe there's an exception to the rule.

Hate isn't the word I'd use. Pity is more like it. It's sad that people can be so gullible as to be sucked into that stuff. They let rules define (they're) life, they'd give away everything they've ever worked for just because of some faith they have in a God to protect them now and in the afterlife."

I understand what I am up against, the prevailing notion satanism died out in the 1980's, or that satanism is only a parlor game played by goth kids looking for attention or miscreants seeking to annoy Christians. But as I said before, satanism did not start with Anton Lavey and it hasn't gone anywhere since 1966. It is serious business, it permeates our culture, taken seriously by those who practice it, and leaves a trail of death and destruction in its wake.

Music is only one aspect of how it is portrayed. But again, I have not argued all music is satanic nor have I said all rock music is satanic. I have addressed the influence of satanism on various forms of music, and even my detractors admit it is there.

I intended to address your entire post, but at the moment we have a thunderstorm approaching and I will leave the remainder for another time.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah. That is the narrative promoted for many years, but lately satanist have been more open and direct:

Satanic Temple Holds First State-Sanctioned Ceremony at Michigan State Capitol

All kinds of irrelevant groups get infrastructure to host meetings and ceremonies.

By your argument, the ideas of Scientology are pervasive because they have 4x the media presence of Satanism.

I understand what I am up against, the prevailing notion satanism died out in the 1980's, or that satanism is only a parlor game played by goth kids looking for attention or miscreants seeking to annoy Christians.
Satanism wasn't even a thing in the 1980's, much less now. Goth imagery musically and culturally also bears little resemblance to satanic subcultures.

Music is only one aspect of how it is portrayed. But again, I have not argued all music is satanic nor have I said all rock music is satanic. I have addressed the influence of satanism on various forms of music, and even my detractors admit it is there.
As I said, because you're clearly a puritan - almost all imagery, lyricism and theme will be interpreted by you to be Satanic leaning.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are essentially three types of people who defend satanism:

Those who know nothing about it.

Those who practice it.

Those who do know something about it but hate Christianity more. Often also known of as atheist.

All kinds of irrelevant groups get infrastructure to host meetings and ceremonies.

Hubris. You claim they are irrelevant, therefore it must be true. You of course have some evidence to support your claim? Other than to compare them to Scientologist?

Satanism wasn't even a thing in the 1980's, much less now. Goth imagery musically and culturally also bears little resemblance to satanic subcultures.

Category One in evidence. Of course it was. LaVey founded the church of satan in 1966 and remained active in it until his death in 1997. The church then continued to operate under Blanch Barton and Peter Gilmore. LaVey's daughter Karla later went on to found the first satanic church. An interesting side note. When LaVey began to suffer from cardiac issues he had no health insurance. He went running to Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Hospital, an institution of the very church he spent years defaming. Regardless, Michael Aquino founded the Temple of Set in 1975 and it has been in operation ever since. The Presidio case occurred in 1986. The FBI reported during the 1980's there were some 100,000 satanic cults operating in the United States alone. You could look up Ted Gunderson's work on the issue, but it isn't hard to find evidence of cult activity from that time period.

During the 1980's the church of satan wasn't a fringe movement, it was a growing movement. As detailed earlier Time Magazine first reported on the rise of the occult in 1972. The influence of what LeVay created was, and still is, pervasive. From the introduction of "Satanism Today, An Encyclopedia of Religion, Folklore, and Popular Culture" by James R. Lewis, quote:

"Furthermore, however one might criticize and depreciate it, The Satanic Bible is still the single most influential document shaping the contemporary Satanist movement. Whether LaVey was a religious virtuoso or a misanthropic huckster, and whether The Satanic Bible was an inspired document or a poorly edited plagiarism, their influence was and is pervasive."

However there is nothing new about any of this. Satanism has been around in various forms under various names since the beginning of the recorded age of man.

As I said, because you're clearly a puritan - almost all imagery, lyricism and theme will be interpreted by you to be Satanic leaning.

Strawman. I am not a puritan, I just recognize the enemy and how he operates. When you can find a quote of mine where I claimed all of any form of entertainment is satanic, your point will be valid. Until then it is just desperation.

The Church of Satan has always been an irrelevant fringe 'movement'. It's existence is completely irrelevant to 99.9% of all music.

And you have evidence to support this?

Demonic references are a subset of bands that sing about fantasy themes. In Rock they barely register. Metal, which is considerably more escapist, they come up more, but I doubt that fantasy themes make up anymore than 30-50% (only a subset include 'satanic' messages).

Fantasy and the occult are two entirely different constructs. Fantasy is a genre. The occult is a practice. That occultist may incorporate some aspect of fantasy imagery into their craft does not render these two constructs the same.

I have read Science Fiction and Fantasy since I was in the fifth grade. The first Science Fiction novel I ever read was VOR by James Blish. I played the MMO game Warhammer Online for the entirety of its online run. I have an active accounts in Star Trek Online and Neverwinter. I played Doom. I have read through the Lord of the Rings three times. I grew up listening to music just as any other kid. Currently when I have time to play an online game I listen to Dubstep or Techno. I also grew up reading Marvel Comics and love the current series of movies. None of this means I dabble in the Occult. It means I function in the world we live in but am grounded enough in my faith that I can exist in the world without running from it.

Satanism and the Occult are different. They are practices with defined sets of statues and commandments, published axioms and established protocols. Among those is the mandate to get their message out. As an additional example, look up Gemma Gary and Open Rituals 2015.

Do you honestly believe that every artist or band that namedrops the occult or satan genuinely believe in them? Do you think that fiction is never just fiction?

Another strawman. How many times do you need me to clearly state I have not made any claim that all music, rock or otherwise, is satanic before you understand it? My efforts are to illustrate the influence, which seriously, isn't hard to see:

SATANIC BAND HONORED AT GRAMMYS

LOS ANGELES - A heavy metal band, self-described as a "devil-worshipping ministry," is being honored by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

Known as "Ghost" or "Ghost B.C.," the Swedish group won the award for Best Metal Performance at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards show Monday for a song titled "Cirice" (translated from Old English as "Church"). The song, which peaked at No. 4 on the Mainstream Rock Songs chart, has gained enormous popularity.

2016-02-19-Pelletier-A.JPG

Are you a Cromwellian Puritan?

My sense is you didn't expect me to know who Cromwell was. We studied the principle of the New Model Army in Military History. However my direct answer is no. See above.

Yup. He didn't look like he was just saying random incoherent crap. Is that rambling really convincing to you?

He made a direct admission. Your interpretation is just deflection.

Marilyn Manson was (is) an large ham when it comes to performance.

From Spin Magazine, August 1996 in an interview with Marilyn Manson, quote:

“Hopefully, I’ll be remembered as the person who brought an end to Christianity.”

I will employ a bit of your logic here. Do you really believe none of the music artist who promote satanism or satanic imagery actually worship the devil or promote satanism?

mansonlavey.jpg

Manson is a tool. Unfortunately he is an effective one. His association with the church of satan and the depravity he promotes is also described here.

What's obvious is that you have barely listened to a fraction of modern music, Rock music and Metal music in general. From the pathetic amount you've actually heard, you use it as a stick to attack everything else.

Yet another strawman argument. Satanist promote their message in the same manner as do Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives, Christians, Buddhist, or the KKK. They simply do so by often more devious and less obvious means. At least to some.

Do you not see the underlying but obvious context of this image?

140716-marilyn-manson-1998-4.jpg

Anyone trained in propaganda immediately would.

Part of what you're missing here is that Satanism, or aspects of the occult and dark themes are simply embedded in popular culture as a byproduct of Christian influence.

I am not missing that at all. If you had read my post with any real attempt at comprehension you would know that.

Because you're clearly a fundamentalist, you interpret that as popular culture and society as being intrinsically and diametrically opposed to God.

Aspects of popular culture and society clearly are intrinsically and diametrically opposed to God.

But you seem to regard absolutely everything as being opposed to God. You don't like any negative or 'dark' theme in culture at all. You don't seem to like fantasy, sci-fi, rebellion, sexual liberation (I'm just guessing now). You don't even like (as the quote below shows) bands singing about nature.

Another strawman followed by another strawman followed by yet another strawman closed out with another strawman. The issue isn't singing about nature. The issue is the pagan worship of nature and the imposition of that worship on those who want no part of it. Liberals are always screaming about how evil Christianity seeks to impose its will on everyone, why is that angst and anger so narrowly applied?

As for employing imagery from either fantasy or mythology, what aspect of the fantasy genre do you believe is being promoted here? Or here? Or here? These images are crafted for a reason, and it isn't the search for a cool album cover.

As for your puritan comment, I do not see satanism everywhere in everything. I just see it where it is.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Sistrin said:
Those who know nothing about it.

Those who practice it.

Those who do know something about it but hate Christianity more. Often also known of as atheist.
So all Atheists hate Christianity? Is that your contention now?

Hubris. You claim they are irrelevant, therefore it must be true. You of course have some evidence to support your claim? Other than to compare them to Scientologist?
You've given no reason to support the claim that they are cultural giants. You appeal to the relative power of satanism and the occult in popular culture, but it's existence doesn't derive from there. You draw upon the links that some Rock and Metal music has/had with Satanism (and seeing as these are rebellious styles, this was natural - if Rock emerged in Islamic cultures it'd be Djinns and Shaytan) but fail to note that to most people, it's just a fun theme.

Category One in evidence. Of course it was. LaVey founded the church of satan in 1966 and remained active in it until his death in 1997. The church then continued to operate under Blanch Barton and Peter Gilmore. LaVey's daughter Karla later went on to found the first satanic church. An interesting side note. When LaVey began to suffer from cardiac issues he had no health insurance. He went running to Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Hospital, an institution of the very church he spent years defaming. Regardless, Michael Aquino founded the Temple of Set in 1975 and it has been in operation ever since. The Presidio case occurred in 1986. The FBI reported during the 1980's there were some 100,000 satanic cults operating in the United States alone. You could look up Ted Gunderson's work on the issue, but it isn't hard to find evidence of cult activity from that time period.
I doubted that Satanism was ever culturally pervasive or powerful, not that it actually existed. Scientology exists now and probably has more power and influence than Satanism ever had.

Actual Satanic cults simply borrow from popular culture rather than craft it. Most thematically and/or lyrically themed music that has satanism as a topic comes towards it independently.

Strawman. I am not a puritan, I just recognize the enemy and how he operates. When you can find a quote of mine where I claimed all of any form of entertainment is satanic, your point will be valid. Until then it is just desperation.
If you enjoy many fantasy-based video games and movies as you said that you do, then you are a hypocrite as a fair chunk of them borrow elements of the occult.

And you have evidence to support this?
You made the original claim - and the bulk of your original claim referenced Marilyn Manson, some bizarre 90's interviews and that the Korn singer put the word "devil" into his name.

Fantasy and the occult are two entirely different constructs. Fantasy is a genre. The occult is a practice. That occultist may incorporate some aspect of fantasy imagery into their craft does not render these two constructs the same.
Occult and Satanic themes are usually present, in some form, in the bulk of all fiction.

Metal bands are more likely to sing about fantasy than they are specifically the occult.

I have read Science Fiction and Fantasy since I was in the fifth grade. The first Science Fiction novel I ever read was VOR by James Blish. I played the MMO game Warhammer Online for the entirety of its online run. I have an active accounts in Star Trek Online and Neverwinter. I played Doom. I have read through the Lord of the Rings three times. I grew up listening to music just as any other kid. Currently when I have time to play an online game I listen to Dubstep or Techno. I also grew up reading Marvel Comics and love the current series of movies. None of this means I dabble in the Occult. It means I function in the world we live in but am grounded enough in my faith that I can exist in the world without running from it.
Right, so a band that brings up Satan (in a generic sense) or hell-esque themes or occult-esque themes does not mean that they are actually dabbling in the occult. It is a stage act, a performance, a theme. How on earth would you know what they actually do in their private lives, behind closed doors?

Another strawman. How many times do you need me to clearly state I have not made any claim that all music, rock or otherwise, is satanic before you understand it? My efforts are to illustrate the influence, which seriously, isn't hard to see:
So that bands may bring up satan, or the occult does not mean anything. It means they're using themes of popular culture.

So why should I or you or anyone be concerned?

Known as "Ghost" or "Ghost B.C.," the Swedish group won the award for Best Metal Performance at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards show Monday for a song titled "Cirice" (translated from Old English as "Church"). The song, which peaked at No. 4 on the Mainstream Rock Songs chart, has gained enormous popularity.
Yes. Ghost. A very good Retro Metal/Hard Rock band.

Do you really take them seriously?

He made a direct admission. Your interpretation is just deflection.
Anyone could say "I sold my soul". I could say that. It means less than nothing. It's literally just being edgy, or chest thumping.

I will employ a bit of your logic here. Do you really believe none of the music artist who promote satanism or satanic imagery actually worship the devil or promote satanism?
I think a small percentage of them do. I think that most do not. Especially as most do not *only* promote satanic imagery and in fact, are victims of being cherrypicked by people like you who claim they do.

Yet another strawman argument. Satanist promote their message in the same manner as do Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives, Christians, Buddhist, or the KKK. They simply do so by often more devious and less obvious means. At least to some.
It isn't remotely a strawman. You suggested that singing about nature and cultural heritage is satanic when I pointed out the themes of Folk Metal.

I am not missing that at all. If you had read my post with any real attempt at comprehension you would know that.
So rather than seeing them as just a consequence of popular culture, you think there's actually some kind of supernatural conspiracy in effect. To what end, might I ask?

Aspects of popular culture and society clearly are intrinsically and diametrically opposed to God.
According to you most of popular culture and society are intrinsically and diametrically opposed to God.

Another strawman followed by another strawman followed by yet another strawman closed out with another strawman. The issue isn't singing about nature. The issue is the pagan worship of nature and the imposition of that worship on those who want no part of it.
The imposition? When? How? When has this ever happened? I've never heard of a pagan fundamentalist.

What even are you referring to? Nature themes in music? Pagan themes in music? Again, is singing about your cultural heritage a satanic thing?

Liberals are always screaming about how evil Christianity seeks to impose its will on everyone, why is that angst and anger so narrowly applied?
For comparison I have yet to ever see a Pagan collect a list of Pro-Christian lyrics and post in a thread like you've done. I've never even seen a Pagan proselytize.

As for employing imagery from either fantasy or mythology, what aspect of the fantasy genre do you believe is being promoted here? Or here? Or here? These images are crafted for a reason, and it isn't the search for a cool album cover.
So do you actually believe that Kanye West, Rihanna and Black Sabbath are Satanists?

Do you actually think that those kind of covers make up over 50% of all album art?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the problem with this debate. Your general parameters are to ignore the points I actually make and instead fabricate counter-arguments based on claims I did not make. Consequently, my response to this:

So all Atheists hate Christianity? Is that your contention now?

Would be to ask if you understand what the term often means.

You've given no reason to support the claim that they are cultural giants.

Earlier I embedded a link to the FOX television show "Lucifer." The precept of that series is Lucifer, the devil himself, decides to take a vacation from his duties in hell and relocate to Los Angeles. I read the background and watched the first episode. It is your typical sophomoric low-brow network television crap, laced with juvenile humor written governed by the assumed stupidity of the potential viewer. The narrative champions hedonism and moral relativism combined with imagery embedded with occult symbolism. In regard to the series being produced and aired, the question is why FOX decided to produce it?

The most obvious answers are:

FOX believed the show would draw enough viewers to render it profitable via advertising revenue.

FOX executives are on the band-wagon of taking every opportunity to stick their finger in the eye of Christians.

Someone is promoting an agenda.

Of course each of these raises more questions. At least for those rational enough to ask. But the underlying truth in regard to this series is clear. Without a cultural construct molded to be accommodating the ability to produce a television series featuring satan as the male lead would not be possible. Do you believe this series could have been green-lighted during the 1970's, or the 1980's? In addition the series Lucifer is hardly the only current television series promoting the occult or occult themes.

You appeal to the relative power of satanism and the occult in popular culture, but it's existence doesn't derive from there.

I never said it did. I have stated quite clearly television was not invented for satanist or the promotion of satanism or the occult. I said satanist have availed themselves of the media in order to promote their agenda. The exact same is true of rock music. Rock music, or if you wish music in general, wasn't invented as an art form in order to promote the occult. But occultist have certainly taken advantage of its power and influence to promote their agenda.

You draw upon the links that some Rock and Metal music has/had with Satanism but fail to note that to most people, it's just a fun theme.

If so then these people have a warped idea of what is fun. Alcoholism, drug addiction, over indulgence, sexual promiscuity, sexual depravity, rage rebellion, narcissism, nihilism, depression, suicide, these are all self-destructive practices. Based on your prior post this is where you start screaming "Puritan! Outcast Unclean!" But understand I am not talking about a behavior, I am talking about irresponsible behavior. The underlying maxim of many rock and pop music anthems is based on the Aleister Crowley dictate of "Do What Thou Wilt." A dictate more commonly embraced as moral relativism.

I doubted that Satanism was ever culturally pervasive or powerful, not that it actually existed. Scientology exists now and probably has more power and influence than Satanism ever had.

Very few care what Tom Cruise thinks. Rock music as a genre however has embraced the philosophy of Crowley. His image was included on the cover of the Beatles album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." The Rolling Stones were devotees of both Crowley and Anton LeVay for a time. This is the original cover scheduled for their album "Goats Head Soup." Considered too controversial for the time it was eventually changed to an image of Jagger wrapped in silk, or something. The Stones also evidenced their allegiance on the cover for the album "Their Satanic Majesty's Request." And by producing an album by that name. And the fact they just admitted it. Crowley's philosophy also influenced other notable bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Metallica. And a lot of other guys. Quote:

"But the person he mentioned most was Crowley. He held up Crowley as a model of what a magical life should be like, and at one point he introduced me to someone who claimed to be an illegitimate son of Crowley’s. I can’t remember who this was, or what we talked about, and I never discovered if he really was Crowley’s son or not. The artist read from The Diary of a Drug Fiend, Crowley’s sensational novel about heroin and cocaine addiction, which was also an advertisement for his ill- fated Abbey of Thelema in Sicily, where initiates learned how to do their “true will.” Like practically everyone else at the time, I was interested in drugs, and the cover of the book, with a sheik of sorts luxuriating in an opium- induced Oriental repose, certainly caught my eye. I had seen the book in the window of the old St. Marks Bookshop on St. Marks Place, just up from the famous Gem Spa, and I wondered when I would have enough cash to buy a copy.

Chris had an apartment that he sublet to Tommy Ramone, the Ramones’ first drummer and, sadly, the only member of the original group still alive. One afternoon we headed to his place and while Chris and Tommy talked, I checked out the bookshelves. Two books I borrowed that day changed my life. One was The Occult by Colin Wilson; the other was Crowley’s other novel Moonchild."

From: "Aleister Crowley, Magick, Rock and Roll, and The Most Wicked Man In The World."

Actual Satanic cults simply borrow from popular culture rather than craft it.

That isn't true. Satan worship is nothing new. Baal, Belial, Beelzebub, Ra, Osiris, The God of This World, the Horned God, Beltane, Walpurgis Night, it is all fruit of the same poisonous tree. The standard has always been the same, influence man and the culture to turn the faithful away from God.

800px-Edinburgh_Beltane_Fire_Festival_2012_-_Bonfire.jpg

If you enjoy many fantasy-based video games and movies as you said that you do, then you are a hypocrite as a fair chunk of them borrow elements of the occult.

Fantasy is a genre. The occult is a practice.

Occult and Satanic themes are usually present, in some form, in the bulk of all fiction.

Moving the goalpost. Prior it was all just fantasy.

Yes. Ghost. A very good Retro Metal/Hard Rock band.

Do you really take them seriously?

They take themselves seriously. And apparently so does the music industry. I think they are idiots, but what matters is what their fans think, and what their fans get from the music. Music appreciation is subjective, the term good relative.

Anyone could say "I sold my soul". I could say that. It means less than nothing. It's literally just being edgy, or chest thumping.

Have you looked at how many music artist are making this claim? Lada Gaga, Beyonce, Kesha, Kenya West, Katy Perry, just to cite a small sample, are all on video openly confessing to their conversion. The Lada Gaga video for "Bad Romance" graphically details her conversion, the act of selling her soul. Because of the imagery employed I can't even link it here.

According to you most of popular culture and society are intrinsically and diametrically opposed to God.

Another strawman. That isn't what I said.

What even are you referring to? Nature themes in music? Pagan themes in music? Again, is singing about your cultural heritage a satanic thing?

Wicca is not a cultural heritage. But again, I very clearly stated what I stated. The issue isn't nature themes in music. The issue is pagan and occult practices glorified in music.

For comparison I have yet to ever see a Pagan collect a list of Pro-Christian lyrics and post in a thread like you've done. I've never even seen a Pagan proselytize.

A statement which tells me you didn't bother to do any research.

So do you actually believe that Kanye West, Rihanna and Black Sabbath are Satanists?

Sidestep. My question was for you to explain what aspect of the fantasy genre you believed was being promoted via those particular album covers.

Do you actually think that those kind of covers make up over 50% of all album art?

Irrelevant. The point is a percentage of album covers promote satanic theme, imagery, and ideology.

Upvote 0