Why Does Trump Have So Many Atheist, Agnostic, or Other Religion Detractors?

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because a cheap con man with multiple divorces, a person who has repeatedly gone bankrupt and cheated people out of their money (Trump U, Trump Steaks, etc), has become the new ally of the so-called "religious" right.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Bible warns us to beware false prophets--so why are evangelicals following a president as phony as a three dollar bill? If atheists see through the sham of his character why not Christians?

Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed on CF that almost to a person those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or other religion are detractors of President Trump. He does not seem to have a single supporter among these groups. Why is this? Any theories?

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know about that ...

godofallthings.jpg

A lot of left-wing publications portrayed Obama as a savior.

So a cover about the presidency being too much for one man to handle because he has to juggle so much is proof the left saw Obama as a savior? That's a stretch. If anything it says he might not be up to the task.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have lots of reasons. The repeated misogynist remarks like the one where he was taped saying he could feel up a womans genitals any time he liked.
I do not approve of the conflict of interest between his role as an administrator and his business empire.
I do not like that he at one point said he wanted to be a president for the whole of his nation, yet has been focused on dividing it more than any other president.
I do not like how he has cheated so many people from their hard earned money following his bankruptcies - hes gone on to be financially secure but has not chosen to repay those he sent to the wall.
I do not like how he has taken up with Russia and abandoned long term allies in trade, security, climate change and diplomatic relations
I do no like that when confronted with difficult leaders he threatens invasion or nuclear action

To me these are legitimate human issues and has nothing to do with my religion

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm more surprised that Trump doesn't have more evangelical "detractors". Sure, there's some out there - but if the polls are right, his approval rating among evangelicals is much higher than it is for the general populace. I find that to be really sad for a group of people who are supposed to uphold moral integrity.

If the evangelicals who voted for Trump did so based on his stance on the issues, and not based on the man himself (as some of them claim), that I might be able to understand. But based on the responses I've seen on this forum and some of the responses that I've seen in real life, that doesn't seem to be the case. They seem to celebrate the man that Donald Trump is, and overwhelmingly support and excuse his actions. It's altogether one of the oddest, and most disappointing things I've seen from the church.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm more surprised that Trump doesn't have more evangelical "detractors". Sure, there's some out there - but if the polls are right, his approval rating among evangelicals is much higher than it is for the general populace. I find that to be really sad for a group of people who are supposed to uphold moral integrity.

If the evangelicals who voted for Trump did so based on his stance on the issues, and not based on the man himself (as some of them claim), that I might be able to understand. But based on the responses I've seen on this forum and some of the responses that I've seen in real life, that doesn't seem to be the case. They seem to celebrate the man that Donald Trump is, and overwhelmingly support and excuse his actions. It's altogether one of the oddest, and most disappointing things I've seen from the church.
My observation is that evangelicals are mostly white anglo-saxon, orientated towards violent actions, and cannot see a view that's beyond their own country's borders, are generally pro-gun and pro-war

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm more surprised that Trump doesn't have more evangelical "detractors". Sure, there's some out there - but if the polls are right, his approval rating among evangelicals is much higher than it is for the general populace. I find that to be really sad for a group of people who are supposed to uphold moral integrety

He's giving them what they want. They have long since decided that political victory is more important than upholding moral integrity.

American churches are now political centers first and foremost. So, hopefully that will convince more and more people to renounce and turn away from false religion.

• Agree
Reactions: evoeth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

There are some clergy that have spoken out against Trump but overwhelming numbers of white evangelical laity have decided to place politics above religious principles.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So a cover about the presidency being too much for one man to handle because he has to juggle so much is proof the left saw Obama as a savior? That's a stretch. If anything it says he might not be up to the task.
Did you happen to notice the wording "God of all things" plastered across the picture of Obama?

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Did you happen to notice the wording "God of all things" plastered across the picture of Obama?
There's nothing about him being a savior, given the subtitle and article written within the magazine about him.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes I did. Did you notice the tagline on the sidebar expounding on the title: Why The Modern Presidency May Be Too Much For One Person To Handle. The story was more about the office of the Presidency and everything the President is responsible for handling than it was about Obama himself.

https://www.newsweek.com/presidency-too-big-job-70121

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So what? Of all the things you could criticize, you decided to focus on a exaggerated label that someone made for him?
What else is there? It is either that or use fact that Obama liked the dijon mustard! What an elite! Not like current president who is man of the people!

Or Obama wore a tan suit! Showed lack of seriousness! Not like current president who exhibit nothing but serious and decorum!

But publicly support KKK and Neo Nazis after woman dies at White Supremacist rally like Trump does and it is all OK.

They hypocrisy is off of this planet.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0