Why Does Trump Have So Many Atheist, Agnostic, or Other Religion Detractors?

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed on CF that almost to a person those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or other religion are detractors of President Trump. He does not seem to have a single supporter among these groups. Why is this? Any theories?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've noticed on CF that almost to a person those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or other religion are detractors of President Trump. He does not seem to have a single supporter among these groups. Why is this? Any theories?

The polls were far far wong this election cycle. Trump's supporters are not proud of the man himself and remain underground. Its a very hard crowd to read.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Trump's support does not come from the left.

Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus. Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.​

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I can speak to a few of them...

1) He's appointed known theocratic folks to high-ranking positions to pander to a religious voter base and has vowed to bring back the notion of integrating Christianity back into public policy. That alone should be telling. An atheist wouldn't want to vote for that for the same reason you wouldn't want to vote for a Muslim Cleric who promised to implement Muslim law and make special accommodations for Islamic rules.

2) Many of us in the Atheist/Agnostic groups have a high overlap with those of us that are "science buffs" (IE: advocates of science and adhering to the results of scientific studies). At various points during the election cycle, he's denounced climate change data as a "Chinese Hoax", he's pandered to anti-vaxxers by giving deliberately vague answers when asked about it as to not alienate them before the election, and he's strayed from the concrete data available pertaining to healthcare...all as a cheap means to gather votes.

3) Mike Pence...technically he could fall into both of the above, but I feel he's a special kind of science denier...from his flawed stances on conversion therapy, to his public denialism of the link between smoking and lung cancer, that guy is bad news.

People desperately try to make it seem as if Trump is some sort of martyr for conservative causes, and that we're just picking on him "cuz it's Trump"...the fact of the matter is, the first two reasons I listed above were applicable to the Bush presidency as well as the critiques made against Romney when he was running. None of this is unique to Trump, yet, his ardent supporters try to act as if it is so they can accuse his detractors of being shallow and petty.

FT_16.11.09_Relig_ExitPoll_ReligRace.png

In terms of religiously unaffiliated voters, Trump did better against Clinton did than McCain did against Obama, yet, ironically, McCain is the one who's been drawing criticism for "not being right-wing enough".

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

I don't like his policies or his character.

He's signaled hostility to non-Christian religions in a way that alienates trust for him.

His link with Evangelicals is inseparable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because like many Republican politicians he jumped on the ‘no abortion’ issue.

They can literally make the poor poorer and the rich richer and get away with it as long as ‘no abortion’.

For demographics not so anti abortion the contempt the Republican Party elite has for the non-super rich is entirely unleavened.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because only evangelical Christians can see how he was divinely appointed to be the American Messiah?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's amusing how when a Republican takes office, they were ordained to the post by God, because God is sovereign in all things, and must be given the respect as the Bible directs, yet when a Democrat takes office, God suddenly had nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Because like many Republican politicians he jumped on the ‘no abortion’ issue.

Being anti-abortion nets millions of votes, it seems.

People argue until they're red in the face defending bakers rights to refuse gays because taking their custom somehow lends support to their actions, apparently, yet people voted for a man that clearly isn't Christian by any stretch of the imagination, has boasted previously about abusing his power and sexually assaulting women, adultery etc... so if baking a cake for gays supports gay marriage, what the heck does voting Trump support?

There's a disconnect and when people claim evangelicals are very selective in their support and condemnation, things like that really don't help.

Sad part is that this won't serve as a learning experience for voters. If anything we've seen most people double-down.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hostility towards religion and to most other traditional Western values tend logically to go hand in hand, no?

Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Being anti-abortion nets millions of votes, it seems.

That's why it was chosen as a part of the platform back in the 70's: it gurantees a block of voters that can be used to wield political influence.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's amusing how when a Republican takes office, they were ordained to the post by God, because God is sovereign in all things, and must be given the respect as the Bible directs, yet when a Democrat takes office, God suddenly had nothing to do with it.
I don't know about that ...

godofallthings.jpg

A lot of left-wing publications portrayed Obama as a savior.

Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about that ...

godofallthings.jpg

A lot of left-wing publications portrayed Obama as a savior.

And religious conservatives gave him the respect due him as a chosen leader by God's sovereign will, of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
God is in control of history, either way.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...and they (religious conservatives) at least acknowledged Obama as the president and winner of the election--whether or not he was their personal choice.

Compare that with the approach adopted by the opposition since 2016.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't like his policies or his character.

He's signaled hostility to non-Christian religions in a way that alienates trust for him.

His link with Evangelicals is inseparable.
His policies? Non-Christians don't like tax cuts or are in favor of open borders or free trade?

As noted, Trump has had some notable evangelical critics.

Upvote 0