Why does God continually disappoint me by giving me promises that never come to pass?

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why does God continually disappoint me through giving me false promises that never come to pass? This has been going on for quite a while now and I'm getting sick of getting my hopes up only to have them dashed sooner or later. Can anyone relate or give advice?

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Why does God continually disappoint me through giving me false promises that never come to pass? This has been going on for quite a while now and I'm getting sick of getting my hopes up only to have them dashed sooner or later. Can anyone relate or give advice?

How are you determining that it is God who is making Promises with you?

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. Sometimes you have a faith that promises you the world, and then doesn't deliver.

When this happens its incredibly painful - a part of your faith is destroyed and you have to build back something better and stronger - more truthful.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you determine one of His promises? Scripture? Personal revelation? Prophetic words from others? If you receive promises personally or from others then your foundation may be false. If you base His promises from scripture then call them false then you are calling Jesus Christ of Nazareth a liar. Could it be that your heart is not in the right place? Let us reason. His promises are delivered to those who love Him. Be in peace with Him this is His promise.
Blessings.

John 14:27: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do you determine one of His promises? Scripture? Personal revelation? Prophetic words from others? If you receive promises personally or from others then your foundation may be false. If you base His promises from scripture then call them false then you are calling Jesus Christ of Nazareth a liar. Could it be that your heart is not in the right place? Let us reason. His promises are delivered to those who love Him. Be in peace with Him this is His promise.
Blessings.

John 14:27: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."
I have read the Bible countless hours over the past years and tried to apply it to my life as sincerely as I could, but there is no fruit or reward at all, quite the opposite. And don't accuse me of being a liar ok? I'm just trying to understand, yes perhaps my heart is not in the right place, but when will it ever be enough for God?

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
what is that supposed to mean??
here is an example of an opportunity to grow.

You said, perhaps your heart isn't in the right place. to put your heart in the right place would be to grow.

it means getting a more accurate faith.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read the Bible countless hours over the past years and tried to apply it to my life as sincerely as I could, but there is no fruit or reward at all, quite the opposite. And don't accuse me of being a liar ok? I'm just trying to understand, yes perhaps my heart is not in the right place, but when will it ever be enough for God?
You are not the liar . You are expressing your disappointment in Jesus Christ of Nazareth thus calling Him one. Have you recieved His Holy Spirit? Ask Him to fill you. This is His promise to all who love Him. Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You are not the liar . You are expressing your disappointment in Jesus Christ of Nazareth thus calling Him one. Have you recieved His Holy Spirit? Ask Him to fill you. This is His promise to all who love Him. Blessings.
Yeah well then if you are so smart, tell me what I should say?? After all these years that I've gone from problem to problem, only to end up like this. You don't even know half of what I've been through, yet you judge me and call me a liar? What should I say then? "Thank you a God for giving me bodily and mental illness?" And for never having my prayers answered. Obviously I've asked for the Holy Spirit more times than I can count without ever getting a response back.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah well then if you are so smart, tell me what I should say?? After all these years that I've gone from problem to problem, only to end up like this. You don't even know half of what I've been through, yet you judge me and call me a liar? What should I say then? "Thank you a God for giving me bodily and mental illness?" And for never having my prayers answered. Obviously I've asked for the Holy Spirit more times than I can count without ever getting a response back.
I repeat , you are not the liar nor am I judging. I will pray for you.
Be blessed.

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These take time not impatience. Maybe a lifetime. Only scripture promises come true. Pray about them with fervent desire. Keep knocking, keep seeking, keep opening the door and keep asking. Are you proud and arrogant sometimes? Stop it!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God isn't "santa clause".

His promise is that He will go through things (problems) with us ..... not keep us from having problems.

Sometimes we create our own problems ... sometimes we are effected by others creating problems .... but He will help us through any problems we may face.

John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Psalm 46:1-3 (NIV)
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.”

Reactions: MForbes
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can certainly relate. I also have physical and mental issues, and sometimes I wonder the same things. The best thing to remember is that we also have an enemy who came to steal, kill, and destroy. That enemy, make no mistake, wants us miserable. He also wants it to look like God is attacking us Himself, so that we lose faith and turn away from Him. While it does seem that God is just allowing it, we need to trust (oh, do I have trouble with that myself!) that He is going to eventually take the enemy's tactics and turn them around, using them against him and to our benefit. By analogy, God is going to build us a beautiful mansion out of the very bricks Satan keeps throwing at us.

As a writer, I can look at it this way. Let's say I have a character going through some terrible things. If my characters were self-aware, they would no doubt wonder why they have to go through those things. But I know how the story is going to end, and I know I'm going to make everything work out beautifully for that character.

God is the one writing my story, and yours. He knows how it's going to turn out. We don't. But everything we go through is going to be a piece of how it all comes together.

I hope this helps. I really do understand.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Personal revelation and the promises in Scripture.
The primary Blessing that all Holy men and women of the Old Testament received was the Blessing of a Circumcised heart. This is the Blessing that we clearly see in Genesis 17, where physical circumcision is instituted. Some say that the Blessing and Promise made to Abraham and his descendants is the Land of Milk and Honey. Yet Abraham never got a single inch of it. Why? Abraham was looking forward to a Heavenly Kingdom, not an earthly kingdom.

If a person hasn't received the Blessing of a Circumcised heart, they won't receive any other Blessings or Promises. There is nothing you need to understand more than the doctrine of Circumcision. If you choose to study this teaching, life will begin to make more sense. The Bible will mysteriously awaken for you and you will understand it like you may have always hoped. But I am warning you, that if you study this teaching, you will be exposed to the true Gospel, Saving Plan of Christ. If you walk away from Him after that, I'm not sure that a person gets a second chance.

Reactions: headphones777
Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can certainly relate. I also have physical and mental issues, and sometimes I wonder the same things. The best thing to remember is that we also have an enemy who came to steal, kill, and destroy. That enemy, make no mistake, wants us miserable. He also wants it to look like God is attacking us Himself, so that we lose faith and turn away from Him. While it does seem that God is just allowing it, we need to trust (oh, do I have trouble with that myself!) that He is going to eventually take the enemy's tactics and turn them around, using them against him and to our benefit. By analogy, God is going to build us a beautiful mansion out of the very bricks Satan keeps throwing at us.

As a writer, I can look at it this way. Let's say I have a character going through some terrible things. If my characters were self-aware, they would no doubt wonder why they have to go through those things. But I know how the story is going to end, and I know I'm going to make everything work out beautifully for that character.

God is the one writing my story, and yours. He knows how it's going to turn out. We don't. But everything we go through is going to be a piece of how it all comes together.

I hope this helps. I really do understand.
Thanks for the most compassionate response in this entire thread...

Upvote 0