Why do people hate the Seventh Day Adventists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't hate them.

Adventists believe Jesus is the archangel Michael. Which is not scriptural. Whether they are a cult or not I don't know.

I don't see much of a problem with Jesus being Michael the archangel. What I have a problem is the belief that he is not God

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ellen White Review and Herald, July 13, 1897 wrote: “WHEN YOU OBEY THE DECREE THAT COMMANDS YOU TO CEASE FROM LABOR ON SUNDAY AND WORSHIP GOD, . . . YOU CONSENT TO RECEIVE THE MARK OF THE BEAST.

Ellen G. White, The Mark of the Beast, p. 23:
Here we find the mark of the beast. The very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, on the part of the Catholic church, without any authority from the Bible.
Uh.

The book of revelation was talking about the mark of the beast and it had nothing to do with the sabbath. Romans 13 talked about not judging anyone for celebrating or not celebrating the sabbath, as does Galatians where Paul even admonished strict sabbath keepers. Every day that you are living as a christian is a sabbath as its holy to the Lord. We ought to be worshipping Him everyday.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I don't see much of a problem with Jesus being Michael the archangel. What I have a problem is the belief that he is not God

This is what we believe:
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

• Informative
Reactions: 1John2:4
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
G
Sometimes God appeared as the angel of the Lord, but He was not a created being. Each verse has its own context. For instance, if the angel allows worship of Himself, it is the Lord.
As is the case of Michael... it's a matter of perspective. It's a small thing really and not salvational so to continue to waste times and space to disagreeing lets just agree to disagree.

• Haha
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wonder what it be like if a catholic married a SDA if that ever happens. Hmm

Love covers a multitude of sins. They could compromise and worship on a wednesday.
Can two walk together unless they be agreed?

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Wonder what it be like if a catholic married a SDA if that ever happens. Hmm

Love covers a multitude of sins. They could compromise and worship on a wednesday.

The Orthodox Church does not usually permit intermarriage with Adventists interestingly enough.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thats a statement but do you have any evidence? I can say the moon is made of cheese but without evidence it's just a lie.

On the subject of Ellen White many threads contain thorough disassemblies of her prophecies and the extreme historical errors contained in her works. So I dont believe we need to go there.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The Orthodox Church does not usually permit intermarriage with Adventists interestingly enough.

My oldest brother is married to a Catholic, Italian no less---for over 40 years. His first marriage was to an SDA--that lasted about 3 years.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1Thessalonians 4:16("For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first",

So is this verse saying that God is a ventriloquist? Or is it saying that Jesus's(LORD OF LORDS) voice is that of the archangel?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
1Thessalonians 4:16("For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first",

So is this verse saying that God is a ventriloquist? Or is it saying that Jesus's(LORD OF LORDS) voice is that of the archangel?

Neither. It is an example of St. Paul making recourse to that brilliant rhetorical device known as a metaphor. Interpreted literally, by the same standard, one might well erroneously infer that St. Paul in quoting Epimenedes actually intended to make the equivalent of a racial slur against Cretans.

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Except Michael is *not* God. Michael is one of the chief angels, and an archangel. Jesus is not Michael. I don't know where people got that idea. Angels are created beings. Jesus wasn't and isn't. They're two separate entities.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Neither. God is neither angel nor trump. These both are His servants/tools.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My oldest brother is married to a Catholic, Italian no less---for over 40 years. His first marriage was to an SDA--that lasted about 3 years.

You could help us understand this reply better if you had stated what faith your brother was at the time of these two marraiges.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Except Michael is *not* God. Michael is one of the chief angels, and an archangel. Jesus is not Michael. I don't know where people got that idea. Angels are created beings. Jesus wasn't and isn't. They're two separate entities.

Daniel 3:24-26,28 ...'Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonished, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king. He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God. Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, and spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come hither. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, came forth of the midst of the fire ... Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.'

Joshua 5:13-15 ...'And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant? And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.'

Exodus 3:1-7 ...'Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb. And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God. And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Neither. God is neither angel nor trump. These both are His servants/tools.

The verse deals with the voice of the Archangel. Your reply did not address the voice of the Archangel. Please clarify your understanding of the verse.

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Daniel 3:24-26,28 ...'Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonished, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king. He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God. Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, and spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come hither. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, came forth of the midst of the fire ... Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.'

Joshua 5:13-15 ...'And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant? And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.'

Exodus 3:1-7 ...'Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb. And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God. And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows.'

All well and good in trying to prove your point. But I believe Hebrews 1 refutes any claim that Michael is Jesus. Jesus is superior to all the angels, Michael included. Again, Michael is not God.

The verses below are taken from the ESV.

1Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.3He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

5For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son,
today I have begotten you”?

Or again,

“I will be to him a father,
and he shall be to me a son”?

6And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,

“Let all God’s angels worship him.”

7Of the angels he says,

“He makes his angels winds,
and his ministers a flame of fire.”

8But of the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.
9You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you
with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

10And,

“You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning,
and the heavens are the work of your hands;
11they will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like a garment,
12like a robe you will roll them up,
like a garment they will be changed.a
But you are the same,
and your years will have no end.”

13And to which of the angels has he ever said,

“Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?

14Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

Footnotes:
a 12 Some manuscripts omit like a garment

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
All well and good in trying to prove your point. But I believe Hebrews 1 refutes any claim that Michael is Jesus. Jesus is superior to all the angels, Michael included. Again, Michael is not God.

The verses below are taken from the ESV.

None of which exclude Jesus from being Michael.
No angel would ever tolerate a man worshipping him. However, both Joshua and Moses were commanded to take off their shoes for the ground was holy---nothing an angel could state. Of course, Jesus is much higher than any angel!

Revelation 19:9-11 ...'And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.'

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) meaning "who is like God?".
Michael meaning

The name Michael is commonly translated with Who Is Like God?, but, more accurately, the name denotes an inquiry after the identity of God: Who's God? or What's God Like? As captain of the heavenly armies and expeller of satan, Michael's main mission is perhaps to inspire humans into seeking the identity of God:

Exodus 15:11
Who is like Thee among the gods, O Lord? Who is like Thee, majestic in holiness, awesome in praises, working wonders?

Psalm 35:10
All my bones will say, 'Lord, who is like thee, who delivers the afflicted from him who is too strong for him and the afflicted and the needy from who robs him?'

For a meaning of the name Michael, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads Who Is Like God? Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names reads a peculiar Who Is Like Unto God?
http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Michael.html#.WEMHRIWcHY8

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.