Why do people hate the Seventh Day Adventists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have no hatred for Adventists.

However, I do object strongly to the large number of attack threads posted by Adventists regarding other denominations, in particular Roman Catholicism, and I consider the claims of Adventists to practice sola scriptura to be obviously untrue.

I believe several Adventist doctrines are errors. I am particularly alarmed by Adventists who reject the Nicene Creed or the Trinity. I also consider Ellen G. White a racist and a false prophet.

However, none of this means I hate Adventists or regard them as non-Christian. In fact I have nothing but affection for Adventists on a personal level. When I meet an Adventist, the last thing on my mind is their church.

Did you watch the You Tube at the first post. I have never seen a sect or church that cannot be justly criticised; the problem is to find someone without sin to do the judgement. If you hate that they acknowledge keeping the Sabbath and the Law that would mean you hate what Jesus did and Paul also.

Sola scriptura is a doctrine of men as is the Nicene Creed; they do well to reject them. The word of God alone as the authority and teacher is not sola scriptura; as seen at the Council of Trent the sola scriptura-ers would not keep the Sabbath knowing that the only authority for Sunday is the Papacy.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
On YouTube I watched how the SDA are a cult. According to my dictionary there is nothing wrong with being a cult.

Here the SDA defends itself:

The troubling thing for me would be its gospel, or shall I say, lack of it. Even a cursory reading of the book of Galatians might make one a bit squeamish about the SDA, I would think. Its view of justification seems wanting, but maybe someone here could clarify it for us.

Protestants are very guarded about the gospel, so if there is any "hate" of SDA, then it's likely over this matter; although, I will admit that my exposure to the SDA is limited to a few people, and many years ago.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
As with just about every religion, there are some SDA that end up zeroing in on an issue and stay there, totally absorbed by it. There are what I term "militant" SDA who do get very vocal and very much "in your face" about them being right. This is a fault of their personality, not of the religion. It wouldn't matter what religion they were, they would act the same, for it is they that are right.

Regarding the Catholics—Brethren, I feel hurt when I see that so many decided thrusts are made against the Catholics. Preach the truth, but restrain the words which show a harsh spirit; for such words cannot help or enlighten anyone. Letter 20, 1896. {CW 64.3}Letter 20, 1896.
We should not, upon entering a place, build up unnecessary barriers between us and other denominations, especially the Catholics, so that they think we are their avowed enemies. We should not create a prejudice in their minds unnecessarily, by making a raid upon them. There are many among the Catholics who live up to the light they have far better than many who claim to believe present truth, and God will just as surely test and prove them as He has tested and proved us.—Manuscript 14, 1887. {Ev 144.1}

Every single church believes they have the truth, or they would not be a separate denomination. As to being only SDA's are saved--that is absolutely not trueThe knowledge of God as revealed in Christ is the knowledge that all who are saved must have. This is the knowledge that works transformation of character. Received into the life, it will re-create the soul in the image of Christ. This is the knowledge that God invites His children to receive, beside which all else is vanity and nothingness. {AA 475.1
Here is declared the same truth that Jesus had revealed to Nicodemus when He said, “Except a man be born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3

Not by seeking a holy mountain or a sacred temple are men brought into communion with heaven. Religion is not to be confined to external forms and ceremonies. The religion that comes from God is the only religion that will lead to God. In order to serve Him aright, we must be born of the divine Spirit. This will purify the heart and renew the mind, giving us a new capacity for knowing and loving God. It will give us a willing obedience to all His requirements. This is true worship. It is the fruit of the working of the Holy Spirit. By the Spirit every sincere prayer is indited, and such prayer is acceptable to God. Wherever a soul reaches out after God, there the Spirit’s working is manifest, and God will reveal Himself to that soul. For such worshipers He is seeking. He waits to receive them, and to make them His sons and daughters. {DA 189.2}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't hate them. But they're refusal to acknowledge basic facts and tendency to goal post shift is very frustrating.

For example, an SDA member here made a direct, unambiguous prediction at the end of last year that "The Pope and Obama are about to make Sunday worship globally mandatory under the guise of fighting climate change" in the lead up to the Pope's address of US congress. Obviously that never happened, nor was it ever going to. When brought up, the member in question tries any number of semantic dodges, anything but simply acknowledging "I was mistaken".

A great deal of SDA thought seems to rest on confirmation bias fallacy. Anything bad that happens is proof that the End Times are upon us and the Catholic Church is evil. Anything good that happens is a trick of Satan and therefore proof that the End Times are upon us and the Catholic Church is evil.

So yes. I certainly do not hate our SDA brothers, but I do admit to finding them hard to try to talk to reasonably and respectfully. That's my personal opinion based on my personal experience, any way. I haven't known that many SDAs, so my experience may not be representative.

Generally the SDA, having had their fingers burned do not make time dependent prophesies; it is a safe bet that Sunday will be enforced in the future because it has happened before and prophesy and history repeat themselves; the problem isn't Sunday the issue is not being allowed to keep Saturday; during the inquisitions people were not forced to keep Sunday; they were forced to not to keep Saturday and the charge was Judaism punishable death; keeping Saturday denies the authority of the Church who believes it Changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

The issue is do you hate what they do, like keeping the commandments of God; because that would be to hate what God does.

[Staff edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The troubling thing for me would be its gospel, or shall I say, lack of it. Even a cursory reading of the book of Galatians might make one a bit squeamish about the SDA, I would think. Its view of justification seems wanting, but maybe someone here could clarify it for us.

Protestants are very guarded about the gospel, so if there is any "hate" of SDA, then it's likely over this matter; although, I will admit that my exposure to the SDA is limited to a few people, and many years ago.

I believe the SDA is conventional and even though they may not mention the Gospel preached by Jesus very much it remains that Jesus's Gospel is the one they use; they are basically Methodists Gospel wise.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I haven't a clue what you mean. We are disliked for our believe in keeping the 7th day, the 4th commandment, along with the other 9, yet we are called lawless???

I haven't got a clue what you are talking about; you must have misunderstood what I said.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I dont know if people hate the SDAs but I do know that many SDAs hate catholics. Not sure if the catholics in return hate the SDAs maybe they all get along when they are not in church..I dont know.

Its just that in some SDA websites they are really into dissing sunday worshippers which they claim the RCC started. Even though the RCC didnt even exist back when christians started gathering on the first day of the week (the Lords day, when He was resurrected) to worship.

Reactions: Dale
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well I dont know if people hate the SDAs but I do know that many SDAs hate catholics. Not sure if the catholics in return hate the SDAs maybe they all get along when they are not in church..I dont know.

Its just that in some SDA websites they are really into dissing sunday worshippers which they claim the RCC started. Even though the RCC didnt even exist back when christians started gathering on the first day of the week (the Lords day, when He was resurrected) to worship.

Wrong---they do not like their doctrines, they love the people. I've had a Catholic friend burning candles for me for over 24 years. We've seen each other over some very rough times. We pray for each other.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Generally the SDA, having had their fingers burned do not make time dependent prophesies; it is a safe bet that Sunday will be enforced in the future because it has happened before and prophesy and history repeat themselves; the problem isn't Sunday the issue is not being allowed to keep Saturday; during the inquisitions people were not forced to keep Sunday; they were forced to not to keep Saturday and the charge was Judaism punishable death; keeping Saturday denies the authority of the Church who believes it Changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

The issue is do you hate what they do, like keeping the commandments of God; because that would be to hate what God does.

[Staff edit]

edit: would love to see a source suggesting the Inquisition stopped people from worshipping on Saturday who weren't actually Catholic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well I dont know if people hate the SDAs but I do know that many SDAs hate catholics.
QFT
Not sure if the catholics in return hate the SDAs maybe they all get along when they are not in church..I dont know.
Speaking for myself, I, again, don't hate SDAs, I am, however, thoroughly bemused that they seem to spend so much time worrying about Catholics when we spent virtually no time even thinking about them, let alone conspiring against them as many of them seem to think we do.

I mean, really. You guys want to worship on Saturday? Go for it. I've never even met a Catholic who cares one jot when you do.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

When the Bible speaks of the Lord's day it has nothing to do with worship or resurrection; it has to do with punishment and warning. There is a Lord's day in history and one in prophesy.

A Lord's day preceded the Babylonian captivity and consisted of plagues.
John was in the spirit on the Lord's day and Revelation is the recount of the Lord's day; the lord's day is also described in Isa 34, Lam 2, and Zeph 1 and 2.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You've never heard of our Lord being referred to as an angel?

Genesis 22:11-12
11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.

12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

Genesis 22:15-18
15 And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,

16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:

17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Exodus 3:2-4
2 And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

3 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.

4 And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.

Read all of Judges chapter 6...

Actually, it is so prevelent in the Bible that the Lord is called an angel of the Lord, I'm surprised people don't know this.

God is not an angel. They are created beings not God. Jesus created them.

Colossians 1
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

2 Samuel
16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

Zechariah 1
11 And they answered the angel of the LORD that stood among the myrtle trees, and said, We have walked to and fro through the earth, and, behold, all the earth sitteth still, and is at rest.

12 Then the angel of the LORD answered and said, O LORD of hosts, how long wilt thou not have mercy on Jerusalem and on the cities of Judah, against which thou hast had indignation these threescore and ten years?

13 And the LORD answered the angel that talked with me with good words and comfortable words.

Sometimes God appeared as the angel of the Lord, but He was not a created being. Each verse has its own context. For instance, if the angel allows worship of Himself, it is the Lord.

Christ is much better than the angels:

Hebrews 1
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ellen White Review and Herald, July 13, 1897 wrote: “WHEN YOU OBEY THE DECREE THAT COMMANDS YOU TO CEASE FROM LABOR ON SUNDAY AND WORSHIP GOD, . . . YOU CONSENT TO RECEIVE THE MARK OF THE BEAST.

Ellen G. White, The Mark of the Beast, p. 23:
Here we find the mark of the beast. The very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, on the part of the Catholic church, without any authority from the Bible.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ellen White Review and Herald, July 13, 1897 wrote: “WHEN YOU OBEY THE DECREE THAT COMMANDS YOU TO CEASE FROM LABOR ON SUNDAY AND WORSHIP GOD, . . . YOU CONSENT TO RECEIVE THE MARK OF THE BEAST.

Ellen G. White, The Mark of the Beast, p. 23:
Here we find the mark of the beast. The very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, on the part of the Catholic church, without any authority from the Bible.
What about those statements above do you not agree with?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thats a statement but do you have any evidence? I can say the moon is made of cheese but without evidence it's just a lie.

If the moon were made out of cheese, but you couldn't provide evidence of it, it still would be true.

• Winner
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For example, an SDA member here made a direct, unambiguous prediction at the end of last year that "The Pope and Obama are about to make Sunday worship globally mandatory under the guise of fighting climate change" in the lead up to the Pope's address of US congress.
As I have asked repeatedly, please quote the post where I said this... I never said it would cause to the Sunday Law being enforced but that it was leading to it. I never gave any timeframes or said Obama would be the president that would do so. Again I ask for your evidence of me saying this...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.