• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Why do people disagree on the condition(s) for salvation?

Discussion in 'Salvation (Soteriology)' started by Salvadore, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Salvadore

Salvadore New Member

+46
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    Whether one is saved or not is of utmost importance. Why can Christians not agree on this topic?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,289
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The "conditions for salvation" have always been known, and except for some small heretical groups here and there, were unanimous.

The protestant reformation created a new form of conditions and thousands of other groups then snowballed from there. In modern times it seems like a free for all until you find that those form the minority view.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Phil W

Phil W Well-Known Member

+436
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I think the real Christians do agree on this topic.
    It is those placed by the devil to divert folks from the true path that keep providing "forks in the road".

4. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+8,887
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Edited; I hope someday we can all agree on this topic. It's important, and I hope that more and more souls will look into this issue deeply.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+1,642
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Even though Jesus purchased the salvation of His people by His life and His death, we still feel like we need to contribute in some way.

6. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,106
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    They can.

7. HTacianas

+5,289
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    How do you know if you're the Christian or the one propped up by the devil?

8. Guojing

Guojing Well-Known Member

+238
    Singapore
    Christian
    Married
    How does one know that he is saved, in your view?

9. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Mod Queue Spam Troll Banner Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+2,726
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    It's for the same reason they don't agree on many theological subjects. Everyone interprets Scripture differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+3,237
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private

Luke 5:31
    "And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick."

The condition for salvation is that one must be sick.

11. Ricky M

Ricky M Well-Known Member Supporter

+899
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The OSAS question is a tough one ... it contains seemingly conflicting points that our human brains can't wrap around. So we cling to certain verses while ignoring others. Disagreement is wrought when we cling to differing groups of scripture.

12. Phil W

Phil W Well-Known Member

+436
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The ones in submission to God are the Christian.

13. HTacianas

+5,289
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    While I do not disagree with you, no one wakes up in the morning thinking "today I will become a heretic".

For example, I believe that Charles Russell was devout in his beliefs. But i also believe he was a heretic*. I am not as charitable towards Joseph Smith.

*I use the term heretic in its literal definition. Not as a means of insult.

14. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,186
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Too many do not know the difference between the initial, born again experience and the ongoing "salvation of the soul". Being born again is instant and costs nothing. To experience the salvation of the souls costs everything you are and takes a lifetime. "Salvation" has become a code word for not going to hell when you die. It really means deliverance from the old nature, sin, self, Satan and the world system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+3,237
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Right, so as long as we are in this body of death, we remain sick and, therefore, remain in the condition required for salvation.

16. Salvadore

Salvadore New Member

+46
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced

I brought this up because I am continually seeking. I believe I am only saved because of what Christ did for me on the cross. I am deserving of hell, but God made a huge sacrifice so I would not have to go there. I do not believe I can ever behave in a manner that is 100% pleasing to God so, when I sin, I ask for forgiveness and He forgives me. I pray and ask for clarity although I find many gray areas. I was taught, by my mentally ill mother, if I am good I will go to heaven. My father did not seem confident in his salvation, but taught me to believe and be obedient and ask for forgiveness. I believe more like my father. I don't believe I have to work for salvation, but I must be obedient as much as possible to my Lord (I do not consider obedience to be work-it is an expression of love). This is what I have gathered from reading the Bible. I hope this makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,186
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Yes. Those who are born again have the great opportunity to be set free, but we never reach perfection in this life.

18. Guojing

Guojing Well-Known Member

+238
    Singapore
    Christian
    Married
    Yep, you are using 1 Cor 15:1-4 for that belief which is correct.

The main confusion is that some Christians read what Jesus said in the 4 Gospels, and they are confused because some of what he said seems to imply that they need to do works in order to be saved.

Some of these include Matthew 7:21 and Luke 10:25-37

19. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+2,658
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    That is what happens when the Gospel of the Kingdom gets replaced by theology, which is abstract religious philosophy seeking beyond His Gospel in order to define a growing human religion, focused on itself.

20. Phil W

Phil W Well-Known Member

+436
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    So what?
    If a doctrine accommodates sinful behavior it is not "submission to God".