Why do people disagree on the condition(s) for salvation?

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Too many do not know the difference between the initial, born again experience and the ongoing "salvation of the soul". Being born again is instant and costs nothing. To experience the salvation of the souls costs everything you are and takes a lifetime. "Salvation" has become a code word for not going to hell when you die. It really means deliverance from the old nature, sin, self, Satan and the world system.
Why does it take a life-time when Jesus has already conquered sin?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right, so as long as we are in this body of death, we remain sick and, therefore, remain in the condition required for salvation.
The body of death is destroyed in Rom 6:6..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."
It happens at our "immersion" into Christ's death and burial.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even though Jesus purchased the salvation of His people by His life and His death, we still feel like we need to contribute in some way.
Surrendering is an act of the will. And He DOES place a burden/a yoke upon us, but it is more bearable than the one He takes away. ;)

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NKJV

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The body of death is destroyed in Rom 6:6..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."
It happens at our "immersion" into Christ's death and burial.

And, a little further in...

Romans 7
"14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do."

*The whole "already and not yet".

*Galatians 5:17
For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to each other, so that you do not do what you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

truthisfreedom2019

Feb 28, 2019
Chetwynd
✟160,093.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(Luke 17:33 Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life will preserve it.) My thoughts are to love God with all your heart, mind, strength and soul. Worry not about your life but make God your everything for every moment.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus also said in John 3:

4Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6“That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8“The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,178.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Since Jesus Christ walked the earth, the question has always been the same:

Jesus asks: “Who do you say that I am?”
Yet His point was not who He was but who's truth we were to follow, the Father's or man;s.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whether one is saved or not is of utmost importance. Why can Christians not agree on this topic?

There should be one common thread
if not we've got a problem.

Through Christ alone.
It ain't me.
M-Bob

"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
web.mit.edu › jywang › www › cef
Bible Gateway John 3 :: NIV - MIT

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Surrendering is an act of the will. And He DOES place a burden/a yoke upon us, but it is more bearable than the one He takes away. ;)

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NKJV
Yes
Even though God tells us we are saved by faith, His moral expectation remains the same: be perfect as your Father is perfect.
The burden of that standard is infinitely more bearable for a Christian because his salvation does not depend on this need to be perfect, but on the forgiveness he receives because of Christ's perfection.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I couldn't disagree more.
You are assigning sin to those reborn of God's seed.
I'm assigning nothing. The new spirit that God gives us does not sin. But if we say we have no sin, we lie and the truth is not in us. When John wrote those words, he was writing to born again Christians. You can't just pick and choose Bible verses to suit your own ideas. You need the whole counsel of God. The fact is that Christians are still able to sin. I've never met anyone who has never sinned from the day that they were born again. Your belief makes out that a good deal of the New Testament is a lie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yep, you are using 1 Cor 15:1-4 for that belief which is correct.

The main confusion is that some Christians read what Jesus said in the 4 Gospels, and they are confused because some of what he said seems to imply that they need to do works in order to be saved.

Some of these include Matthew 7:21 and Luke 10:25-37

Good works are a side-effect of having a change in attitude. I would be surprised if a Christian didn't do something good after being given such a gift as salvation. Christians should not argue about salvation by faith alone or faith plus good works. If a Christian doesn't want to do something good for the world, he or she should ask God for help and read the Bible. There are lots of opportunities!

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The JWs don't tolerate sin and will excommunicate a member.
But how many other doctrines do they have that thwart the love of God?
Ask any JW if he commits sin, and I can almost guarantee he will reply in the affirmative.

Upvote 0