why do people believe the earths flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m actually not surprised. We’re in a period when people can call whatever they want a conspiracy by liberals and scientists. Evolution, the big bang, global warming, vaccines, errors and inconsistencies in the Bible. Once we give up on objective truth and embrace conspiracy theory, the resurgence of flat earth is no surprise.

Even less surprising when you consider it's what the Bible teaches.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
its not flat

You're right, it's very much round.

But people believe all kinds of ridiculous things, even in spite of what they can see with their own two eyes. Human beings are very funny animals.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
yh a guy said to me the bible supports it apparently

There's good evidence that people in the ancient near east (as well as in other cultures) did believe the earth was flat. And so it shouldn't be entirely shocking that when it comes to the Old Testament, being as its texts were written by people from the ancient near east that when they write they use descriptions of the world as they understood it, not necessarily as it actually was. We shouldn't expect things from the Bible which were unknown at the time it was written. That the Bible is divinely inspired doesn't mean that God circumscribed the minds of the writers, but rather they wrote by the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

When we read God's word it is imperative that we allow ourselves engage with the text in a meaningful way, and we do that by understanding what the writers were communicating within their historical, cultural, and linguistic contexts.

I'm an English-speaking American living in the early 21st century, I can't read the Bible as though the authors of the biblical texts were the same as me, because they weren't. When I read the letters of St. Paul I have to understand that these were letters addressed to very specific groups of people, who lived two thousand years ago, whose language is not my language, whose culture is not my culture, whose circumstances, understanding of the world, politics, views of economics (et al) are totally foreign from my own. If I don't then I will absolutely and without question completely and utterly misunderstand what is being said.

Understanding that the Bible isn't a science book is important in reading the Bible rightly. The Bible is not a book of science, but a collection of books, accepted by the Christian Church as divinely inspired and authoritative, which have been received, collected, preserved, and confessed because we believe in and through these texts Christ Himself speaks and is present. So that when we hear the Scriptures read we can confess, "This is the word of God", and we can confess that because here in them is Christ and His Gospel, the very word of our salvation that gives us faith and sustains that very faith.

The Bible isn't a science book, it's a library of books about Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Simple answer because there is not one iota of Scripture either in the OT or NT which describes the earth as a spherical, rotating object which circles the sun.
There's also not one iota of scripture in the OT or NT which describes computers, cellphones, or the internet.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's also not one iota of scripture in the OT or NT which describes computers, cellphones, or the internet.
True, however the problem is that there are many verses which describe a flat, immovable earth if you attempt to do your own due diligence.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True, however the problem is that there are many verses which describe a flat, immovable earth if you attempt to do your own due diligence.
So if someone disagrees with your conclusion that means they haven't done their due diligence?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So if someone disagrees with your conclusion that means they haven't done their due diligence?
Of course not. But if they have, then they would have to explain away those verses in Scripture that describe a flat, fixed earth covered by the firmament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course not. But if they have, then they would have to explain away those verses in Scripture that describe a flat, fixed earth covered by the firmament.
And if they don't agree those scriptures are describing a flat, fixed Earth, what then?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And if they don't agree those scriptures are describing a flat, fixed Earth, what then?
Try explaining WHY they or YOU don't agree for starters. How's about that? One must defend one's position with adequate scriptural evidence/explanation or else it is merely unsupported personal opinion which ain't worth much. So what say you?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try explaining WHY they or YOU don't agree for starters. How's about that? One must defend one's position with adequate scriptural evidence/explanation or else it is merely unsupported personal opinion which ain't worth much. So what say you?
So if I said to you that there are many verses that describe giant spiders made of cheese, and you didn't agree, the burden would be on you to defend why you don't agree?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So if I said to you that there are many verses that describe giant spiders made of cheese, and you didn't agree, the burden would be on you to defend why you don't agree?
Of course. With that said point out verses to me that describe a flat immovable earth and why you think they don't say that. Shall I wait for your specific scripture references?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course. With that said point out verses to me that describe a flat immovable earth and why you think they don't say that. Shall I wait for your specific scripture references?
I don't think they say that because I don't think they say that. That's all there really is to it. This is the problem with conspiracies, opponents to the conspiracy are expected to prove the the absence of something within the absence of anything.

As for scriptural back and forth, I don't do that with people that aren't really open to anything I have to say anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think they say that because I don't think they say that. That's all there really is to it. This is the problem with conspiracies, opponents to the conspiracy are expected to prove the the absence of something within the absence of anything.

As for scriptural back and forth, I don't do that with people that aren't really open to anything I have to say anyway.
Au cotraire. I am open to your explanation but you refuse to provide one - other than to say you simply disagree. Any one can say that which is why your argument is weak to begin with.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Simple answer because there is not one iota of Scripture either in the OT or NT which describes the earth as a spherical, rotating object which circles the sun.

It also doesn't mention you, but yet here you are.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Anthony Eshun

With God All Things Are Possible
Aug 27, 2018
Elmina
Visit site
✟10,655.00
Country
Ghana
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The truth is found in the Bible but not in theories. Isaiah 40:22 says the earth is in a circle form. "Flat earthers" are working so hard to push their agenda into our minds. This is one of the biggest misconceptions ever known.

Images from NASA shows that the earth is a circle/spherical just like any of the nine planets including the moon. Can we say they are also flats?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The truth is found in the Bible but not in theories. Isaiah 40:22 says the earth is in a circle form. "Flat earthers" are working so hard to push their agenda into our minds. This is one of the biggest misconceptions ever known.

Images from NASA shows that the earth is a circle/spherical just like any of the nine planets including the moon. Can we say they are also flats?
You quote Isaiah 40:22 but you apparently don't realize that a circle by definition is two-dimensional? A circle is a FLAT area bounded by its circular outer edge. It is not a sphere - which is three-dimensional. As the Bible states, the earth is a FLAT CIRCLE. You have misconceived your own argument.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.