why do people believe the earths flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is not talking about the flatness of the Earth. The Holy Spirit's metaphors are just fine, your interpretation is not.

Take it up with the ancient Hebrews and scholars like Michael Heiser. He's not a flat earther, but at least honest enough to admit the Biblical earth is flat. Just because you don't like it...

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Take it up with the ancient Hebrews and scholars like Michael Heiser. He's not a flat earther, but at least honest enough to admit the Biblical earth is flat. Just because you don't like it...
Just because I don't like it... what?

You wanted to know what I think. You pestered about it. I responded. Now can you leave it alone? Or must you continue to make implied insults?

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just because I don't like it... what?

You wanted to know what I think. You pestered about it. I responded. Now can you leave it alone? Or must you continue to make implied insults?

I'm a terrible pest, please forgive me.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it false. Let God be true. There's a fourfold interpretation, and the (allegorical and literal) senses should be harmonious. Feel free to give the HS credit in that department.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yh a guy said to me the bible supports it apparently

No it does not.

Poetry about the four corners of the earth and pillars and foundations does not make the world flat. Taken literally, corners would indicate a square because I haven't seen any corners on a circle. The same way we say "What a beautiful sunset" we don't mean the sun is literally setting, its a saying. "What a beautiful earth rotation" doesn't have the same ring to it.

This belief that the 'Bible teaches a flat earth' is a huge lie.

The flat earth thing really kicked off after the space flight conspiracy took hold. That the moon landing and such were fake. They believe the space pictures were faked by the government so that people would think the world was round when it was really flat.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a terrible pest, please forgive me.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it false. Let God be true. There's a fourfold interpretation, and the (allegorical and literal) senses should be harmonious. Feel free to give the HS credit in that department.
I understand your passion.

You know what I've been doing the past couple days during the afternoon (here) when I wasn't posting (and another reason why I hesitated to get into a long debate)? I was praying for a 3 year old little girl with advanced stages of leukemia and trying to help her family find some strength and peace. The shape of the Earth will never do that. I can't do that. Only the Holy Spirit can do that. I feel pretty comfortable with the harmony of not only the allegorical and literal, but also the important and unimportant.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Already you seem to have failed to grasp my "underwhelming" response. I previously said that I do not think these reverences are about the Earth being flat OR a sphere... they are not about the shape of the Earth whatsoever. This is one reason why I hesitate to even go any further, it's already falling on deaf ears. Yet I continue...
It is your choice to read the plain meaning as figurative language or however you perceive it. I take the opposite approach and read it as literal unless the context indicates otherwise.

Your demeaning tone is noted, but this was on purpose. Let's take the first scripture you mentioned, Is 40:22. I referenced the entire chapter because the context is important. I'm not looking at one verse in a vacuum, but the complete context. I even look at chapters 39 & 41 and more if needed. The chapter is a prophetic word. A word about bringing comfort and encouragement to God's people and about God's glory being manifest. Part of the encouragement are reminders of God's power, His ability to perform, His knowledge, wisdom and greatness.
Your evasive tone is noted, but this was also on purpose. Your mistake is that you err in claiming that a prophetic word cannot also have literal aspects to it. Just because you perceive something to be "prophetic" it does not automatically entail that everything contained in it is figurative.

It would be out of context for God to drop a science lesson in the middle of that. Chug means vault or horizon, the context of verse 22 is God sitting above that. It is similar terminology imagery to when we read phrases like "the ends of the Earth" in the Bible. Such phrases are used to convey great distances... the greatest distances that can be seen. Everyone knows what a horizon is and what it looks like. It's not a geometric reference it is a experiential reference that everyone can relate to. Sitting at such a high place or above it expresses that God is above all and sees all. This is perfectly in fitting with the context of the rest of the chapter, describing God's greatness.
Incorrect as you maintain a false dichotomy between science and God/scriptures. God created the earth and cosmology so it falls within the realm as what we perceive as science thus your artificial distinction is unwarranted. Chug also means circle. What is the vault of the earth? What is the horizon of the earth? Circle of the earth makes perfect sense as it refers to the shape of the whole earth itself above which God sits. Your truncated choice of translation leaves much to be desired.

Verse 11 says that He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom. I don't see flat earther's claiming God is literally scooping sheep up into the sky. Verse 26 says He calls us all by name, I don't see flat earther's claiming that God is audibly shouting out our name for all to hear. Yet, this is the type of logic applied to verse 22.
Again, just because some verses are figurative it does not entail that all verses are figurative. That is a logical fallacy of overgeneralizing which you are prone to doing.

The main reason I oppose this idea beyond just specific scriptures is that ultimately biblical flat earth actually steals glory from Jesus. It takes the focus away from Him. Just look at this entire conversation, it doesn't mention Jesus in any significant, glorifying or saving light at all.
P.S. I got news for you. Jesus is God!

Look at another common scripture used by flat earthers Matt 3:3 (which is also in Mark 1:3, Luke 3:4, John 1:23... all of which actually are quoting the same Is 40 in verse 4). Since the source is Is 40 the same overall context from above applies, the greatness of God. Flat earthers say a curved surface wouldn't produce a straight line and use all these scriptures to prove their point. Yet every single one of these scriptures are clearly referencing John the Baptist (specific context). John was the greatest of the OT prophets (see consistent context) pointed the way to Jesus who was even greater (more consistent context). But now instead of pointing the way to Jesus people are arguing about the curvature of the Earth? So, God was really more interested in the geometry of the Earth than pointing people to Jesus?
You specialize in logical fallacies without even realizing it. Unbeknownst to you have proposed a false dichotomy. I suggest you look up its meaning. It is not a matter of one or the other. Furthermore, does not Scripture declare that God's creation glorifies Him? Consider a few scriptures that you ignore:
Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows the work of his hands."
Psalm 95:3-5 "For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land."
Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."
Psalm 96:11-12 "Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy."

Lastly you are ignorant of the fact that many people who were former atheists/agnostics through the flat earth have read the scriptures which confirm the flat, immovable earth surrounded by the firmament and as a result have become Christians. Thus your allegation that flat earth does not point people to Jesus is patently false I suggest you brush up on it.

My family and I watch survivor together. Every now and then they do a challenge where most of the tribe is blindfolded and they have one "caller" directing them to where they should go. The caller is very much a picture of the prophetic in Is 40. The caller will yell to their tribe to turn left/right/or whatever then yell at them something like "go straight... straight, straight, straight... stop!". So my question is: is the caller taking a stance on the shape of the Earth when shouting this? (I'm assuming reader's answers will correctly be, "no"). Instead they are using the word "straight" to help guide the listener to the desired destination. The same is true with all of these scriptures. To force these scriptures to be about a flat OR sphere Earth is to distract from and take away from God guiding us in the direction and destination of Jesus.
So you are now equating God with man? How convenient for your argument. God knows what shape he created the earth. It's your prerogative to ignore Him. Ironically, former atheists/agnostics believe the what the scriptures say regarding the cosmology more than you do.

Romans 1:25 talks of how some will exchange the truth of God for a lie. And the sign that this is happening is that people will begin to worship the creation rather than the creator. This is exactly what ever single "flat earth" scripture interpretation does. It takes focus away from the Creator and puts it on the creation.
Another red herring fallacy by you. I suggest you bone up on argumentation and logical fallacies as you are prone to committing them. His creation NEVER takes away from the One who created it.
Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the LORD from the heavens: praise him in the heights. Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created. He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass. Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps: Fire, and hail; snow, and vapour; stormy wind fulfilling his word: Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars: Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl: Kings of the earth, and all people; princes, and all judges of the earth: Both young men, and maidens; old men, and children: Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven. He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints; even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the LORD. (Psalm 148)

You asked for my reasoning, there it is in a nutshell. I could do something along these lines with all 200 scriptures mentioned in another post. Flat Earth arguments are shoehorned in word games that steal glory from Jesus, and force all observational science on the subject to be wrong or a lie, which requires the believer of the theory to see the worst in people, even other Christians. There is nothing positive or edifying about the subject whatsoever.
Incorrect. Jesus is God and all creation glorifies God. God created it and saw that it was good. You are certainly free to disagree with God!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is your choice to read the plain meaning as figurative language or however you perceive it. I take the opposite approach and read it as literal unless the context indicates otherwise.

Your evasive tone is noted, but this was also on purpose. Your mistake is that you err in claiming that a prophetic word cannot also have literal aspects to it. Just because you perceive something to be "prophetic" it does not automatically entail that everything contained in it is figurative.

Incorrect as you maintain a false dichotomy between science and God/scriptures. God created the earth and cosmology so it falls within the realm as what we perceive as science thus your artificial distinction is unwarranted. Chug also means circle. What is the vault of the earth? What is the horizon of the earth? Circle of the earth makes perfect sense as it refers to the shape of the whole earth itself above which God sits. Your truncated choice of translation leaves much to be desired.

Again, just because some verses are figurative it does not entail that all verses are figurative. That is a logical fallacy of overgeneralizing which you are prone to doing.

P.S. I got news for you. Jesus is God!

You specialize in logical fallacies without even realizing it. Unbeknownst to you have proposed a false dichotomy. I suggest you look up its meaning. It is not a matter of one or the other. Furthermore, does not Scripture declare that God's creation glorifies Him? Consider a few scriptures that you ignore:
Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows the work of his hands."
Psalm 95:3-5 "For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land."
Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."
Psalm 96:11-12 "Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy."

Lastly you are ignorant of the fact that many people who were former atheists/agnostics through the flat earth have read the scriptures which confirm the flat, immovable earth surrounded by the firmament and as a result have become Christians. Thus your allegation that flat earth does not point people to Jesus is patently false I suggest you brush up on it.

So you are now equating God with man? How convenient for your argument. God knows what shape he created the earth. It's your prerogative to ignore Him. Ironically, former atheists/agnostics believe the what the scriptures say regarding the cosmology more than you do.

Another red herring fallacy by you. I suggest you bone up on argumentation and logical fallacies as you are prone to committing them. His creation NEVER takes away the One who created it.
Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the LORD from the heavens: praise him in the heights. Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created. He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass. Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps: Fire, and hail; snow, and vapour; stormy wind fulfilling his word: Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars: Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl: Kings of the earth, and all people; princes, and all judges of the earth: Both young men, and maidens; old men, and children: Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven. He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints; even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the LORD. (Psalm 148)

Incorrect. Jesus is God and all creation glorifies God. God created it and saw that it was good. You are certainly free to disagree with God!
Your response is PRECISELY what I was talking about and predicted when I said:
OK, I'll give this a shot and address 2
scriptures and my overall objection. Let's watch and see what happens. So far it doesn't look promising:

And:
As for scriptural back and forth, I don't do that with people that aren't really open to anything I have to say anyway.

This is what I was talking about before. If someone disagree's with you, you automatically assume that they haven't done the same research or due diligence and their arguments are weak.
You didn't show the tiniest bit of actual interest in what I was saying, only in attacking it to prove your point. You twist my words to mean something completely different while ignoring the simple plain points I make. I could absolutely destroy every scripturally unbalanced silliness you just posted in a debate. But why in the world would I waste my time, I'm not here for your entertainment, I've got real people, with real hurts and struggles to actually help.

No arrogance. Just asking why you think Scripture does not say the earth is flat. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so but you for some reason are averse to sharing your explanation. Discussions without explanations are fruitless, hence my questions to you repeatedly asking for your rationale
This is exactly why I was adverse to sharing my explanation. Not because I don't feel it is strong, but because of arrogant comments like the following:
To disagree with you is to disagree with God, huh? No arrogance there. You think you know more about the prophetic too, eh? That's a laugh. Creation does glorify God, silly contentions about it do not. Changing the meaning of text that glorifies God takes away from glorifying God.

None of your behavior here glorifies God, it doesn't point to Jesus. It only points to you. You being more concerned with being right above all else. The disingenuous calls for me to "share my explanation", massively twisting my words, the implied insults... Your behavior here is absolutely despicable. There is no fruit, there is nothing redeeming whatsoever. This is exactly why I hesitated to share. Please do not reply to me ever again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm pretty sure the drivers in Chicago have not experienced a mostly flat earth either. I've driven there too.

I've been across the city and state on bicycle. Flatland (Illinois) is as flat a state as you can find other than Florida.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your response is PRECISELY what I was talking about and predicted when I said:

And:

You didn't show the tiniest bit of actual interest in what I was saying, only in attacking it to prove your point. You twist my words to mean something completely different while ignoring the simple plain points I make. I could absolutely destroy every scripturally unbalanced silliness you just posted in a debate. But why in the world would I waste my time, I'm not here for your entertainment, I've got real people, with real hurts and struggles to actually help.

This is exactly why I was adverse to sharing my explanation. Not because I don't feel it is strong, but because of arrogant comments like the following:

To disagree with you is to disagree with God, huh? No arrogance there. You think you know more about the prophetic too, eh? That's a laugh. Creation does glorify God, silly contentions about it do not. Changing the meaning of text that glorifies God takes away from glorifying God.

None of your behavior here glorifies God, it doesn't point to Jesus. It only points to you. You being more concerned with being right above all else. The disingenuous calls for me to "share my explanation", massively twisting my words, the implied insults... Your behavior here is absolutely despicable. There is no fruit, there is nothing redeeming whatsoever. This is exactly why I hesitated to share. Please do not reply to me ever again.
As is typical of you, you deal in generalities and fail to address the specifics of my argument. You get defensive when I point it out to you and you end up eisegeting Scripture to suit your preference. That's a bad habit but your choice to do so.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As is typical of you, you deal in generalities and fail to address the specifics of my argument. You get defensive when I point it out to you and you end up eisegeting Scripture to suit your preference. That's a bad habit but your choice to do so.
More of the same. You know insulting, flaming and goading are bad habits too, but that hasn't stopped you.

So now I must address the specifics to yoooour satisfaction (cause it's all about you). But then you have a response with even more specifics that are just completely twisting my words so I must address those, right? But those aren't to your satisfaction either, so even more heaped up that I must respond to... now we go from like 2 scriptures and one overall point to like 86, every single one of them needing to be met to your satisfaction or I am failing to address things. Because it's always about your standards.

I'm done with your silly games. You know what I am working on right now when I'm not responding to your demands and insults? I'm coordinating round the clock prayer for a little girl with late stage cancer. THAT is my preference. You know what can help her and bring strength to her family? The great God described in Is 40. You know what will never help her? The shape of the earth. Yeah, I think I'm good with my take on the scriptures and my choice of habits.

Now leave me alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I just realized that this thread is in the advice forum and none of this dialog should have happened in the first place. Apologies to the Mods, it was an oversight. I'll be moving on now.
Not at all. The advice has been given that some ppl believe it's flat because that's what scripture teaches. You were disputing that the Bible teaches a flat earth on the basis that all apparent FE references are non literal. Debate ensued.

We haven’t even started in on the bounteous scientific merit of FE, although I see a few of the usual suspects are waiting in the wings to go full globetard when that occurs.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. The advice has been given that some ppl believe it's flat because that's what scripture teaches. You were disputing that the Bible teaches a flat earth on the basis that all apparent FE references are non literal. Debate ensued.

We haven’t even started in on the bounteous scientific merit of FE, although I see a few of the usual suspects are waiting in the wings to go full globetard when that occurs.
We are supposed to give advice to the original poster, not engage with one another in debating the topic. I've seen many a thread closed for this very reason.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are supposed to give advice to the original poster, not engage with one another in debating the topic. I've seen many a thread closed for this very reason.

Ah, I see, those statements of purpose that nobody ever reads...until it's too late!

• Haha
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
More of the same. You know insulting, flaming and goading are bad habits too, but that hasn't stopped you.

So now I must address the specifics to yoooour satisfaction (cause it's all about you). But then you have a response with even more specifics that are just completely twisting my words so I must address those, right? But those aren't to your satisfaction either, so even more heaped up that I must respond to... now we go from like 2 scriptures and one overall point to like 86, every single one of them needing to be met to your satisfaction or I am failing to address things. Because it's always about your standards.

I'm done with your silly games. You know what I am working on right now when I'm not responding to your demands and insults? I'm coordinating round the clock prayer for a little girl with late stage cancer. THAT is my preference. You know what can help her and bring strength to her family? The great God described in Is 40. You know what will never help her? The shape of the earth. Yeah, I think I'm good with my take on the scriptures and my choice of habits.

Now leave me alone.
Certainly, as that's your prerogative!

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread is Permanently Closed as it is off topic to the forum and has many Statement of Purpose violating posts.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.