Why do most christians not follow the 10 commandments?

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm sorry, but where did Jesus allow for divorce for "any reason" as was in the Old Covenant. He only allowed it for sexual infidelity. But no where are the divorced given license to remarry after divorce. We just assume that, but it is not written. What is written is that if a divorced person remarries, they are committing adultery if the spouse is still living.
I did not mention Jesus allowing for divorce. I spoke of a change in law from moses than that which was from the beginning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I did not mention Jesus allowing for divorce. I spoke of a change in law from moses than that which was from the beginning.

I'm sorry, I must have been sleepy. LOL

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The end of the Sabbath and the 1st day of the week begins at what we would refer to as Saturday at sundown, so it is possible that Jesus resurrected between then and when she arrived at the tomb on the next morning.

The text actually, literally, has, "THEN SUDDENLY, IMMEDIATELY, AT THE MOMENT OF late on the Sabbath BEING IN THE MID-AFTERNOON DAYLIGHT as it began to dawn towards the First Day of the week Mary Magdalene and the other Mary setting out to go have a look at the tomb THERE WAS a great earthquake the angel of the Lord descending..." [kai idou...epi-phoskousehi...egeneto seismos]. In the Old Testament 3 PM the time "being-between-the-late-quarters-of-days" [behn-ha-arba-yim] "thou shalt KILL the passover (lamb)".

3 PM, "the ninth hour" it was when they killed "Our Passover";
3PM it was when they had finished to burn the remains of the passover lamb and for the second time had finished to eat unleavened cakes at Succot;
3 PM it was when ON THE SABBATH the LORD had planted them in the land the LORD had sworn to give the children of Israel.
3 PM therefore, [enatehn hohran...epephohsken Sabbaton...tehi epiphoskousehi]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should always remember that without Christ we are awful sinners.

It not so much is Christ in us which makes the difference between being lost and being saved; it is us "in Him"!

And it not so much is that we now by the law, learn to 'remember that without Christ we are awful sinners', but by us now being in Him and He in us. Because we without the law, through Christ at all, have learned that we are, sinners; sinners who without Christ, are awful and awfully lost, sinners.

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 77:13
Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?

"Thy way, O God, is in thy Sanctuary". Who is so great a God as our God who Tabernacled in the flesh in the Son, "I AM the Way", "the Eternal God thy Refuge".
“Sanctify the LORD of hosts Himself and let Him be our fear and let Him be your dread. And He shall be for a Sanctuary; but for a Stone of stumbling and for a Rock of offence…” Isaiah 8:14. “I will be to them as a little Sanctuary in the countries where they shall come.” Ezekiel 11:16.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus' death and resurrection is the Gospel that has the power to save us.
Not the law, the 10 Commandments were given for the purpose of showing us what awful sinners we are.
The law was added because of transgression,, it was a tutor that taught us what awful sinners we are. Then we could acknowledge our need for Christ.
Now that we are in Christ, we are no longer under the tutor. Should we forget what the law taught us, no.
We should always remember that without Christ we are awful sinners.
The law is not made for the righteous, but for the lawless and disobedient.
Those who are in Christ are obedient to faith. Romans 1:5
The law is not of faith, so if you are preaching that we need to keep the law, you are being disobedient to faith.

The Sabbath was a sign of the Old Covenant, Exodus 31:13, we are not under the Old Covenant.
Yes the Sabbath was a sign for the Sinai covenant made with the nation of Israel. I think we all overlook how the Sinai covenant accounted sin. Israel as a fleshly entity is judged by the law in a collective sense of their carnal generations. We see the collective nature of sin here....
Achan sinned...
But-- the children of Israel committed a trespass. Achan took the accursed thing...but the anger of the Lord was kindled against the children of Israel.

Jos 7:1 But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the accursed thing: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed thing: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel.

The collective nature of sin
Two and 1/2 tribes build an alter like to the altar of God.....

Jos 22:15 And they came unto the children of Reuben, and to the children of Gad, and to the half tribe of Manasseh, unto the land of Gilead, and they spake with them, saying,
16 Thus saith the whole congregation of the LORD, What trespass is this that ye have committed against the God of Israel, to turn away this day from following the LORD, in that ye have builded you an altar, that ye might rebel this day against the LORD?
17 Is the iniquity of Peor too little for us, from which we are not cleansed until this day, although there was a plague in the congregation of the LORD,
18 But that ye must turn away this day from following the LORD? and it will be, seeing ye rebel to day against the LORD, that to morrow he will be wroth with the whole congregation of Israel.

Jos 22:20 Did not Achan the son of Zerah commit a trespass in the accursed thing, and wrath fell on all the congregation of Israel? and that man perished not alone in his iniquity.

The collective in Christ is not according to a carnal collective of generations. Rather we are all regenerate unto a spiritual collective.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need a few who are proud that they keep God's Laws (maybe that will help a little); not everyone proud that they break God’s Laws.
Here is what God says to be proud of:
Jeremiah 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
Here is what Jesus said:
Luke 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
Here is what Paul said:
Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Paul refused to be proud of his lawkeeping. In fact he considered his accomplishments to be :pileofpoop:

Last edited:
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes the Sabbath was a sign for the Sinai covenant made with the nation of Israel.

No; it was not! Where do you get your miss-information from? Read me that! Until you do you are not worth paying further attention to.

The Sabbath Day was GOD'S "sign: THAT I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD and you are my people and that I AM I WHO sanctify you." That, sir, is GOD'S declared and defined "sign" of HIS, ONLY, ETERNAL, Covenant of GRACE-- The "sign" of "Jerusalem ABOVE who is FREE".
GOD'S "sign" the Sabbath Day OF THE LORD GOD, is that day of the week which the Sundayers dared demote and deride as having been replaced with THEIR day of worship, Sunday. So that now, if you say you are a Christian but a Sabbath believing Christian, you are anti-Christ; and if you say you are a Christian, it is axiomatic you are a Sunday believer or a liar that you are a Christian.

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul refused to be proud of his lawkeeping.

That Paul refused to be proud of his lawkeeping implies he kept the law; not that he broke the law. Or would you prefer to differ, that Paul refused to be proud of his lawbreaking? In which case we perfectly agree, I think.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That Paul refused to be proud of his lawkeeping implies he kept the law; not that he broke the law. Or would you prefer to differ, that Paul refused to be proud of his lawbreaking? In which case we perfectly agree, I think.
You said earlier in post 217 that we need more people to be proud of keeping God's law.
Whether or not Paul kept the law is not at issue here, he would not bring it up, let alone be proud of it.
In Philippians 3:7-8 he says it was all :pileofpoop:
3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.

To be proud of keeping the law is to be proud of your own accomplishments.
I am sure you are already familiar with all of the Scriptures that tell us how God feels about the proud.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The reason Spirit-filled believers are not under the law is because the Law showed us our SIN. Seeing as Spirit-filled Christians who walk in the Spirit are dead to sin, there is no need for the law. That is the difference between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant.

What is rubbish is the doctrine that it is only the punishment for sin which was removed. NO, it is also SIN was removed. If a Christian keeps on sinning, the wages of sin is still death.

• Winner
Reactions: Explorer55
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No; it was not! Where do you get your miss-information from? Read me that! Until you do you are not worth paying further attention to.
Here ya go.
Ex 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Here ya go.
Ex 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Don't you think the old Sabbath pointed toward our rest in Jesus. Scripture says He is the substance of the Sabbath. So if you have the real thing that was being looked forward to, why still observe what He fulfilled? The only other substance will be the Millennium when Christ has come back to earth and will reign for 1000 years. It was prophesied that each of the 7 days of creation represented 1000 years. 6000 years for man, and then the 7th is the Millennium. In the same prophecy, the 8th day had no evening and morning and represents eternity. It also represents Sunday, and why we gather together on Sunday, the day Christ resurrected from the dead, and sealed the deal for our salvation.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Don't you think the old Sabbath pointed toward our rest in Jesus. Scripture says He is the substance of the Sabbath. So if you have the real thing that was being looked forward to, why still observe what He fulfilled? The only other substance will be the Millennium when Christ has come back to earth and will reign for 1000 years. It was prophesied that each of the 7 days of creation represented 1000 years. 6000 years for man, and then the 7th is the Millennium. In the same prophecy, the 8th day had no evening and morning and represents eternity. It also represents Sunday, and why we gather together on Sunday, the day Christ resurrected from the dead, and sealed the deal for our salvation.
Yes I do believe the Sabbath given the nation of Israel was a shadow. The reality is in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said earlier in post 217 that we need more people to be proud of keeping God's law.
Whether or not Paul kept the law is not at issue here, he would not bring it up, let alone be proud of it.

Please keep in mind the conditions in my country I spoke about. I said what I said in THAT context; not in any context of Scripture exegesis.

Therefore I will say it again, God save the country of a people who pride themselves in keeping God's Commandments; and God condemn the country as well as its people who pride themselves in breaking God's Commandments! May the LORD consume them with the fire of his vengeance!

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in a Presbyterian Sunday School. About the only thing i remember from Sunday School they had taught us was, "Obey the 10 Commandments". Once I got Born Again at age 22 I discovered trying to, "Obey" the 10 Commandments was the VERY thing that was killing me! I was just like the Apostle Paul before his conversion! I was raised to believe that you were supposed to spend your entire life trying to, "please God". It wasn't until I got a sound understanding of the Gospel that I found out God loved me not based on what I do or don't do, but upon what Jesus did on the Cross. Once I grasped that concept it was then and only then I received my deliverances from Alcohol, Drugs, cigarettes, etc. I found out God loved me not based upon my, "performance" but upon what he himself did on the Cross through Jesus Christ.

Praise God for his great love, amen. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the Power of God to save and all its gifts the sure mercies of David.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Praise God for his great love, amen. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the Power of God to save and all its gifts the sure mercies of David.
Why is it I don't see any of this in this other quote?

Therefore I will say it again, God save the country of a people who pride themselves in keeping God's Commandments; and God condemn the country as well as its people who pride themselves in breaking God's Commandments! May the LORD consume them with the fire of his vengeance!

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here ya go.

This does not say what you claimed, that 'the Sabbath was a sign for the Sinai covenant made with the nation of Israel'. "The Sabbath is sign between ME --the LORD GOD-- and the children of Israel for ever / for all the future : for / because ... the LORD (not Israel or man whosoever) ... on the day The Seventh Day RESTED HE, THE LORD, having been REVIVED (on it)."
This is FUTURE if ever there was a 'sign' of any future by the Power of Christ Jesus' Resurrection from the dead!

Any attempted murder of God's Promise concerning THE ETERNAL COVENANT OF HIS GRACE, must fail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0