Why do most christians not follow the 10 commandments?

curious mike

Oct 30, 2015
✟19,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't seem to find a single christian who follows the sabbath and I am not understanding why?

Jesus was Jew, he lived as a Jew, prayed as one in the Jewish synagogues, observed all Jewish holy days and traditions and he had said "obey my laws" which was referring to the 10 commandments. So guys, what possible reason does any christian have not to observe the sabbath please?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't seem to find a single christian who follows the sabbath and I am not understanding why?

Jesus was Jew, he lived as a Jew, prayed as one in the Jewish synagogues, observed all Jewish holy days and traditions and he had said "obey my laws" which was referring to the 10 commandments. So guys, what possible reason does any christian have not to observe the sabbath please?
Why are you focusing on only one? My question is, why don't we follow any of them?
My only answer is because we are sinners, in need of a Savior.

Upvote 0

curious mike

Oct 30, 2015
✟19,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are you focusing on only one? My question is, why don't we follow any of them?
My only answer is because we are sinners, in need of a Savior.

Agreed! I too try to live my life according to the laws but honestly I have not one but many excuses why I can't observe the sabbath [on a Saturday] something which I need to pray more heavily for. To answer your question, I focused on the sabbath because that is the main law out of the 10 which I don't see any christian following.

I must say I certainly admire your very honest and straightforward answer, thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To answer your question, I focused on the sabbath because that is the main law out of the 10 which I don't see any christian following.
I don't know...I think we're pretty good at worshipping idols, disrespecting our parents, murder (if we remember Matthew 5: 21-24), adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, and coveting, as well; perhaps as Christians, we don't take the Lord's name in vain as much, but it seems to me that is often to give an appearance of piety not reflected in our actions. (Or maybe I'm just grouchy this morning, and am speaking from my own failings...forgive me.)

• Winner
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God.

When Jesus was confronted by the Pharisees for healing on the Sabbath ... and allowing His disciples to glean grain on the Sabbath, ... He asked ... "Is it good to do good on the Sabbath ?"

Most American christians rest and relax from their jobs on Saturday/Sunday.

Besides working, what is it that you think most christians are doing, so as to NOT keep the Sabbath ?

Upvote 0

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why did the counsel at Jerusalem decide what they did concerning gentiles and the keeping of the law ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If anyone, including Christians, could follow the 10 commandments perfectly, they would have no need of the Savior Jesus Christ. Praise God that God has sent the Savior because He knows we are incapable of keeping His commandments!

Colossians 2:16-23 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. (17) These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. (18) Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, (19) and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God. (20) If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— (21) "Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch" (22) (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? (23) These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

So guys, what possible reason does any christian have not to observe the sabbath please?

Are you an ancient Israelite under the covenant of Law? Are you trusting your righteousness before God in how well you keep the Law?

I am not saying that the Law no longer applies or that it has been abolished, nor that we will be held accountable to the Law. But Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law and if anyone is in Christ, then they too have fulfilled the Law, because they are imputed with the righteousness of Christ, not their own.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which of the 10 commandments is that again?

just glancing at them the first one I see that says to do this would be this one... however if you can't see this then i wonder why it is that you want to preach the law when you don't understand it?:

Exod 20:4-6 (YLT)
`Thou dost not make to thyself a graven image, or any likeness which is in the heavens above, or which is in the earth beneath, or which is in the waters under the earth. Thou dost not bow thyself to them, nor serve them: for I, Jehovah thy God, am a zealous God, charging iniquity of fathers on sons, on the third generation , and on the fourth, of those hating Me, and doing kindness to thousands, of those loving Me and keeping My commands.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but now I see what you said more clearly. so in truth I keep the 10 best I can. it's not that hard when I got my head on my shoulders.

in fact I try to keep the Sabbath way more than once a week. we should always remember God, not just once a week.

Matt 22:34-40 (YLT)
and the Pharisees, having heard that he did silence the Sadducees, were gathered together unto him; and one of them, a lawyer, did question, tempting him, and saying, `Teacher, which is the great command in the Law?' And Jesus said to him, `Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thine understanding-- this is a first and great command; and the second is like to it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself; on these--the two commands--all the law and the prophets do hang.'

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

curious mike

Oct 30, 2015
✟19,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not saying that the Law no longer applies or that it has been abolished, nor that we will be held accountable to the Law. But Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law and if anyone is in Christ, then they too have fulfilled the Law, because they are imputed with the righteousness of Christ, not their own.

Please note guys that I am not here to condemn any christian. Yes, the above which you wrote is what I am trying to get a handle on, I am currently doing some reading on this get back to you, thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

curious mike

Oct 30, 2015
✟19,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
just glancing at them the first one I see that says to do this would be this one... however if you can't see this then i wonder why it is that you want to preach the law when you don't understand it?:

Sorry, I am still not seeing how your answers are addressing this topic.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I am still not seeing how your answers are addressing this topic.

you are in luck, I saved my best response for last.

Matt 12:1-8 (YLT)
At that time did Jesus go on the sabbaths through the corn, and his disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck ears, and to eat, and the Pharisees having seen, said to him, `Lo, thy disciples do that which it is not lawful to do on a sabbath.' And he said to them, `Did ye not read what David did, when he was hungry, himself and those with him-- how he went into the house of God, and the loaves of the presentation did eat, which it is not lawful to him to eat, nor to those with him, except to the priests alone? `Or did ye not read in the Law, that on the sabbaths the priests in the temple do profane the sabbath, and are blameless? and I say to you, that a greater than the temple is here; and if ye had known what is: Kindness I will, and not sacrifice--ye had not condemned the blameless, for the son of man is lord even of the sabbath.'

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The point of Sabbath was to remember God rest on the 7th day. It was made so that man dont forget God, because granted between people going from nation to nation and picking up customs and stuff, and the need to work, and Jesus didn't come yet, and he wasn't coming for like another 400 years to give that type of grace that we have now, the rules were so strict for Sabbath, that if they did ANY work, it was sure death. God said I provide double food the day before, so that there are no excuses. That's how severe the punishment was.(Exodus 16:26)

When the Pharasees addressed it, Jesus answered it by establishing two commandments that fulfilled all the commandments of the prophets ,"Love God" and " Love thy neighbor as thyself" (Matthew 22:36-40). When Jesus did "work" as in performed miracles and encouraged his disciples to pick wheat to eat, he was confronted about doing things on the Sabbath ( with ill intentions, but they weren't wrong lawfull for pointing that out), he addressed it by saying its better to do work that is good on the Sabbath than to ignore doing good for the sake of upholding the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14).

That's not to dismiss the significance of upholding the Sabbath, and many christians still do. And that's not to say that it shouldn't be observe at all. But just like the diets, the clothing, and other strict rules that God established in the OT and the punishment we are suppose to be getting from it, the idea of why Sabbath isn't upheld as in being of law its because its already been fulfilled by Jesus, and we are covered by grace. Now instead of "we have to keep the Sabbath" its " don't forsake the assembly of the saints" (Hebrews 10:25)

Upvote 0

curious mike

Oct 30, 2015
✟19,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This is what I am finding relating to your answer found here:
Are the 10 Commandments Upheld in the New Testament?

Christ consistently upheld the 10 Commandments as given in the Old Testament. In His Sermon on the Mount, He very pointedly stated: “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill” (Matthew 5:17).

Although some mistakenly think that “fulfill” in this passage means to complete and therefore abolish, what Jesus said afterwards shows this could not be the case. Continuing, Jesus said: “For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven” (verses 18-19).

Realizing that Jesus consistently upheld all of the commandments, including observing the seventh-day Sabbath (Paul, with Jesus’ personal approval, who introduced grace and the abolishment of the law.

The 10 Commandments given by God in the Old Testament continue to be God’s expectations of Christians today.The truth is that Jesus did not change His mind about the importance of keeping all of the 10 Commandments. As Hebrews 13:8 states: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if Jesus is always the same and thus makes us do the law then shouldn't we be keeping all 613 commands? but in the NT it explains that those in the spirit are not under the law because they have it written in their hearts and naturally fulfill it as much as they abide in Christ and not only fulfill but go far beyond.

• Agree
Reactions: FreeAtLast
Upvote 0