Why do most christians not follow the 10 commandments?

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are arguing that Jesus rose on the 7th day? Or are you referring to the Feast of Firstfruits as a Sabbath? Or are you trying to suggest that the Sabbath got changed to the 1st day?

I say that Jesus rose "on the Sabbath" Matthew 28:1 in fulfilment of all the Scriptures, so, therefore, we should obey God's command to keep the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Nobody is talking about going back into sin. We all want to live holy. All is being said is that we do not need the 10 commandments written on stone.
So many people get the idea that when we see God's law, God's commands or His ways, that the 10 Commandments are being referenced.
Noah, Abraham and Joseph did not have the 10 Commandments, yet God called Noah righteous, He called Abraham His friend and Joseph knew it was wrong to commit adultery.
We know that they could not have had the 10 Commandments because Paul says in Galatians 3:17 that the law came 430 years later.
Yet, Abraham had something because
Genesis 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
What Noah, Abraham and Joseph had is better than the 10 Commandments. God's eternal law.

God's Law was given to reveal what sin is, so saying that we should not go back to it is the equivalent of saying that we should go back to what God has revealed to be sin. God's Law is inclusive of all of the laws that God has given, which included the Ten Commandments, but which I agree is more than that. If you agree that Joseph knew that it was wrong to commit adultery, then he had at least one of the Ten Commandments. There is much evidence throughout Genesis of many of God's laws already being in place prior to when they were given at Sinai, and Genesis 26:5 is another example of that. I would be interested in your take on this thread:

Should Christians Walk in the God's Ways?

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are arguing that Jesus rose on the 7th day? Or are you referring to the Feast of Firstfruits as a Sabbath? Or are you trying to suggest that the Sabbath got changed to the 1st day?

There is no command in the Bible to stop keeping God's command to keep the 7th day Sabbath and no command to start setting aside Sunday.

There is the whole Bible witnessing to stop keeping God's command to keep the 7th day Sabbath but for the sole reason that Christ on the Sabbath ROSE FROM THE DEAD. And there is nothing in the whole Bible so funny as to 'start setting aside Sunday in keeping with God's command to keep the 7th day Sabbath'.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I say that Jesus rose "on the Sabbath" Matthew 28:1 in fulfilment of all the Scriptures, so, therefore, we should obey God's command to keep the Sabbath.

The end of the Sabbath and the 1st day of the week begins at what we would refer to as Saturday at sundown, so it is possible that Jesus resurrected between then and when she arrived at the tomb on the next morning.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should Christians Walk in the God's Ways?
That would be a resounding yes on my part.
God showed His ways to Noah, Abraham and Joseph. You said they had at least one of the 10 Commandments, but those didn't come for 430 years.
When we know God, He teaches us His ways. We do not need laws written on stone, we have Christ in us.

Look at the Israelites in Exodus 19, they did not want a relationship with God.
They thought they were righteous. Shown by there statement, "All that the LORD says we can do".
God gave the law to show them they were not righteous.
They took those laws, made keeping those laws more important than listening to God.
In fact, they did not even want God speaking to them.
Exodus 20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
People are the same today, they would rather have laws written on stone than to hear God's Voice.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
According to Deuteronomy 24:1-4, a woman was not permitted to become remarried to her first husband after she had been divorced and become another man's wife, which means that she was permitted to become another's man's wife while her first husband was still alive.
Moses changed the law himself. Divorce was not "law" before Moses.
Mr 10:4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.
5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
While I completely agree that we are not under the law, Paul spoke about a number of different types of laws, such as God's Law, the law of sin, and works of law, so it is important to correctly identify which one he was talking about us not being under. The Spirit is not in disagreement with the Father and the Father was not acting against His Spirit when He gave the Law to Moses, so we can easily cross God's Law off the list of possibilities. In Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Law. In Romans 8:4-7, those who walk in the Spirit are contrasted with those who have a mind set on the flesh, who refuse to submit to God's Law. Furthermore, in Galatians 5:19-23, everything listed as works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against God's Law, while all of the fruits of the Spirit are in accordance with it, so it would make no sense whatsoever to interpret Galatians 5:18 to be speaking about God's Law. Rather, in Galatians 5:17, Paul described the desires of the flesh as causing us not to do the good that we want to do, which was exactly how Paul described his struggle with the law of sin in Romans 7:13-25, so when we are led by the Spirit we are under God's Law, but not under the law of sin.
Not only did Moses allow divorce, which prior was not given, God hated divorce.
The law national given 430 years after Abraham (who also had law), is not the righteousness which caused Israel to become heirs of the promises.
De 6:25 And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.
De 9:4 Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the LORD thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the LORD hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee.
De 9:5 Not for thy righteousness, or for the uprightness of thine heart, dost thou go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee, and that he may perform the word which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
De 9:6 Understand therefore, that the LORD thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people.

Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Reading Galatians, there is a very strong message that the New Testament believer is under grace, not the law.

Hebrews 7.12 says that the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says that what we now have is better than the law.
Hebrews 7:11-22 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Like Melchizedek
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed,

the law must be changed also.
13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. 14

For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.

15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry

but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is declared:

“You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek.”a]">[a]

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

20 And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21

but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:

“The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind:
‘You are a priest forever.
’”b]">[b]

22 Because of this oath,

Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody is talking about going back into sin. We all want to live holy. All is being said is that we do not need the 10 commandments written on stone.
So many people get the idea that when we see God's law, God's commands or His ways, that the 10 Commandments are being referenced.
Noah, Abraham and Joseph did not have the 10 Commandments, yet God called Noah righteous, He called Abraham His friend and Joseph knew it was wrong to commit adultery.
We know that they could not have had the 10 Commandments because Paul says in Galatians 3:17 that the law came 430 years later.
Yet, Abraham had something because
Genesis 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
What Noah, Abraham and Joseph had is better than the 10 Commandments. God's eternal law.

Alright, now you have spoken plainly, and one might understand you.

What I find fault with, is that you make unnecessary comparisons creating only confusion.

"The Law was added", said Paul, for GOOD reason, "because of SIN". Every time God, added Law, He did it for BETTER reason, "because where sin ABOUNDED, there, GRACE the MORE abounded."
An ever increasing in GOODNESS, Law! Q~All is being said is that we do not need the 10 commandments written on stone.~Q True! Indisputable! But why and how? because Q~What Noah, Abraham and Joseph had is better than the 10 Commandments. God's eternal law~Q ? No! Where were all God's FULFILLED Promises in the days and lives of Noah and Abraham? They were only given in Promise; not in fulfilment yet. With the redemption from Egypt God's Promise of a nation with Abraham for father, began to be fulfilled "after the flesh"; and Redemption as such which God had always promised his believing people from Adam to Noah to Abraham to Israel developed into fulfilment, again, "after the flesh". And from this initial Redemption resulted the BETTER Law of the Ten Commandments--CLEAR and simple spelled out and even engraven in stone tablets for God's people to HEAR and follow in "singleness of heart" JUST LIKE Paul thousands of years after. But Paul had the further, incomparable advantage that he had met the alive and Living Word of God according to the promise IN PERSON.
Now Jesus said happy is he who had seen and believed; but far more blessed is the man who believed though he had not seen! So can we regard ourselves more blessed if we believe in Christ even though we have never seen Him in the flesh.

The Revelation of God has always been progressive, or improved, from God's Law of Promise only to sinless Adam and Eve, to Law of Promise to Noah, to Law of Promise to Abraham, to Law of Promise and primitive fulfilment to Israel, to Final and Fulfilled Law of Promise in and through Jesus Christ "after the seed of David according to the flesh but IN POWER ACCORDING TO THE SPIRIT HIS HOLINESS BY RESURRECTION FROM THE DEAD!"
We live By The Power of His Resurrection OUR LAWGIVER, LAW AND RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Therefore yes, we are better off and have received better and more than any before, of grace. BECAUSE WE HAVE RECEIVED BETTER AND MORE and not NO Law, like you imply having said, Q~What Noah, Abraham and Joseph had is better than the 10 Commandments.~Q
No, we have ALL, received of ~God's eternal law~ His Word, "THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS" the Son of God, Jesus Christ.

The problem, unfortunately is us, thinking one-dimentionally of God's Law in terms of Ten Commandments engraved in stone and not in vibrant alive experience of Christ Jesus the Power of God to save.

And the problem, ultimately, unfortunately is us, taking exception at God’s Sabbath Day which He gave us in the form of Law!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem, unfortunately is us, thinking one-dimentionally of God's Law in terms of Ten Commandments engraved in stone and not in vibrant alive experience of Christ Jesus the Power of God to save.
Jesus' death and resurrection is the Gospel that has the power to save us.
Not the law, the 10 Commandments were given for the purpose of showing us what awful sinners we are.
The law was added because of transgression,, it was a tutor that taught us what awful sinners we are. Then we could acknowledge our need for Christ.
Now that we are in Christ, we are no longer under the tutor. Should we forget what the law taught us, no.
We should always remember that without Christ we are awful sinners.
The law is not made for the righteous, but for the lawless and disobedient.
Those who are in Christ are obedient to faith. Romans 1:5
The law is not of faith, so if you are preaching that we need to keep the law, you are being disobedient to faith.

The Sabbath was a sign of the Old Covenant, Exodus 31:13, we are not under the Old Covenant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Someone, who was it now? , someone created the SABBATH DAY and MADE IT HOLY in the first week of CREATION !
AND wrote in stone , YHVH'S WORDS (THE Creator's WORDS), concerning this.
AND wrote in men's hearts, HIS TORAH, concerning this,
as well as in INSPIRED SCRIPTURE (HIS WORD), concerning this,
as well as JESUS (THE Messiah) spoke about TORAH,
and there is NO contradiction in HIM, HIS WORD, TORAH, and ETERNAL LIFE IN JESUS.

Just where does the "so-called" Old Covenant fit into all this ?
And how would a "so-called" "OLD" Covenant override the rest of YHVH'S WORD, PLAN, PURPOSE and SALVATION RESURRECTED LIFE in CHRIST JESUS !?

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he (Yahshua) is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, (that would be us) Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
(That would be the Covenant made at Sinai)
8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws (not according to that previous covenant) into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

The Sabbath was part of that Covenant we are no longer under..
And if you want to say that the Seventh day Sabbath is still in effect because it was given before Sinai, you would also be under another law that was given before Sinai that God was very serious about: Circumcision.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This for those of you that believe that the times and the law has been changed by the writers of the New Testament which it has not. They are on the same page as Jesus it is the interpretation that is gone wrong.

Daniel 7:25
And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws

Matthew 4 King James Version (KJV)
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Jesus Quoted
Deuteronomy 8:3
And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.

Jesus cannot change he is perfect as is his word

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Matthew 5:18

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Heaven and earth have yet to pass.

Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Wonder who he was reffering to?
Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Colossians 2:22
Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Titus 1:14
Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Boasts of the Roman Church about Sunday

The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1957): 50:

Q. Which is the Sabbath day?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Q. Why Do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.
(In the Catholic Church year, a solemnity is the highest ranking holy day in the Church)

Isaiah 58:9,13
9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Believe the word of GOD not the teachings of the evil one.
Amos 2:4
Thus saith the Lord; For three transgressions of Judah, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have despised the law of the Lord, and have not kept his commandments, and their lies caused them to err, after the which their fathers have walked:

May God bless you in your search for the truth

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Starting with Moses, they had an understanding of how to obey God's Law, which they passed down to their children and so forth, so it would be almost impossible for us to follow God's commands without following a man-made tradition taught for how to obey those commands. Jesus kept a number of these man-made traditions, so there is nothing inherently wrong with them, but where Jesus had a problem with them was when they were contrary to what God had commanded.

I believe that your statement should read that it started with Adam and Eve.

Animal sacrificed for there sin of disobedience
Psalm 77:13
Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?
Cain murdered Able (one of the ten commandments) because his sacrifice was not accepted by the Lord
Psalm 77:13
Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?

Disobedience on Cains part, it culminated in the loss of all life except those in the ark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The 10 Commandments are a ministry of death and condmenation.
2 Corinthians 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones,
3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Now, lest you think I am taking these verses out of context, let's look at some Scriptures in Exodus.
In Chapter 16 the people murmured saying we have no food. Nobody died, God gave them Bread from Heaven.
Later in the chapter Moses tells them that on the 6th day gather twice as much, for there won't be any Bread on the Sabbath. The people go out and look for it anyways.Moses gets mad, but nobody dies.
In Chapter 17, the people complain about the lack of water, God gives them water out of the Rock. Again, nobody dies.
Let's take a look at what happened when the people complained or broke the Sabbath after the giving of the law.n Numbers 11:1-2, the people complain, the LORD is displeased and He sends fire.
After that,the people complain about the lack of meat, saying all they had was Manna.
God said they would eat for a whole month until it came out of there nostrils, but in verse 33, while the meat is still in there mouth, His anger is kindled and many die.
In Numbers 15:32-35 we find a man picking up sticks on the Sabbath, the LORD says to stone him to death.
In Numbers 21, the people murmured again and God sent fiery serpents and thousands died.

Before the law was given in Exodus 20, when the people complained, God gave mercy and grace.
But, the people thought they were righteous.
Exodus 19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

They didn't want mercy, they were proud, so God gave the law to show them how unrighteous they really were.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Moses changed the law himself. Divorce was not "law" before Moses.
Mr 10:4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.
5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

We had been talking about the issue of REMARRIAGE while the spouse is still living.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 10 Commandments are a ministry of death and condmenation.
2 Corinthians 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones,
3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Now, lest you think I am taking these verses out of context, let's look at some Scriptures in Exodus.
In Chapter 16 the people murmured saying we have no food. Nobody died, God gave them Bread from Heaven.
Later in the chapter Moses tells them that on the 6th day gather twice as much, for there won't be any Bread on the Sabbath. The people go out and look for it anyways.Moses gets mad, but nobody dies.
In Chapter 17, the people complain about the lack of water, God gives them water out of the Rock. Again, nobody dies.
Let's take a look at what happened when the people complained or broke the Sabbath after the giving of the law.n Numbers 11:1-2, the people complain, the LORD is displeased and He sends fire.
After that,the people complain about the lack of meat, saying all they had was Manna.
God said they would eat for a whole month until it came out of there nostrils, but in verse 33, while the meat is still in there mouth, His anger is kindled and many die.
In Numbers 15:32-35 we find a man picking up sticks on the Sabbath, the LORD says to stone him to death.
In Numbers 21, the people murmured again and God sent fiery serpents and thousands died.

Before the law was given in Exodus 20, when the people complained, God gave mercy and grace.
But, the people thought they were righteous.
Exodus 19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

They didn't want mercy, they were proud, so God gave the law to show them how unrighteous they really were.

I feel much the same. But I'm so tired. My country is going to blazes. The inhabitants are all devils. I am fed up with political racist murderers and thieves especially, whose culture is their inappropriate behavior with animals, and their civility, noisiness and violence. Come hell for them, please, come quickly!

We need a few who are proud that they keep God's Laws (maybe that will help a little); not everyone proud that they break God’s Laws.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I feel much the same. But I'm so tired. My country is going to blazes. The inhabitants are all devils. I am sick and tired of political racist murderers and thieves especially, whose culture is their beastliness and civility their noisiness and violence. Come hell for them, please, come quickly!
We need a few who are proud that they keep God's Laws; maybe that will help a bit.
We had been talking about the issue of REMARRIAGE while the spouse is still living.
I thought this thread was speaking about all things law? The fact remains, the law was changed in the Sinai covenant, to allow for divorce which was not so prior to Sinai. Especially that that particular law was given because of their hardness of heart. Just shows law was not given for the righteous but for the unrighteous.

1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

Which gives some context to these commands.

Lev 17:3 What man soever there be of the house of Israel, that killeth an ox, or lamb, or goat, in the camp, or that killeth it out of the camp,
4 And bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer an offering unto the LORD before the tabernacle of the LORD; blood shall be imputed unto that man; he hath shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people:
5 To the end that the children of Israel may bring their sacrifices, which they offer in the open field, even that they may bring them unto the LORD, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest, and offer them for peace offerings unto the LORD.
6 And the priest shall sprinkle the blood upon the altar of the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and burn the fat for a sweet savour unto the LORD.
7 And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto devils, after whom they have gone a whoring. This shall be a statute for ever unto them throughout their generations.

Ga 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

• Agree
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I thought this thread was speaking about all things law? The fact remains, the law was changed in the Sinai covenant, to allow for divorce which was not so prior to Sinai. Especially that that particular law was given because of their hardness of heart. Just shows law was not given for the righteous but for the unrighteous.

1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

Which gives some context to these commands.

Lev 17:3 What man soever there be of the house of Israel, that killeth an ox, or lamb, or goat, in the camp, or that killeth it out of the camp,
4 And bringeth it not unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, to offer an offering unto the LORD before the tabernacle of the LORD; blood shall be imputed unto that man; he hath shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people:
5 To the end that the children of Israel may bring their sacrifices, which they offer in the open field, even that they may bring them unto the LORD, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest, and offer them for peace offerings unto the LORD.
6 And the priest shall sprinkle the blood upon the altar of the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and burn the fat for a sweet savour unto the LORD.
7 And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto devils, after whom they have gone a whoring. This shall be a statute for ever unto them throughout their generations.

Ga 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

I'm sorry, but where did Jesus allow for divorce for "any reason" as was in the Old Covenant. He only allowed it for sexual infidelity. But no where are the divorced given license to remarry after divorce. We just assume that, but it is not written. What is written is that if a divorced person remarries, they are committing adultery if the spouse is still living.

Upvote 0

Joelthe vicious

Jan 4, 2018
Johannesburg
✟22,918.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, but where did Jesus allow for divorce for "any reason" as was in the Old Covenant. He only allowed it for sexual infidelity. But no where are the divorced given license to remarry after divorce. We just assume that, but it is not written. What is written is that if a divorced person remarries, they are committing adultery if the spouse is still living.

Where do we read this? In the NEW Testament, I think, yes? If ever there were a thing such as legalism, I would say, this is it! NEW Testament legalism as you have never read of in the Old. Makes me wonder, and I have not divorced; so how must the poor divorced feel about NEW Testament Christianity prepared to cast the first stone until the last one that would lekker kill the lonely and forsaken by all holy 'New Testament believers'-- believers in what?! Not Christ I tell you, but the devil!

Upvote 0