Why Did "Global Warming" Become "Climate Change"?

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hebrew was a dead language for more than 2000 years. The hebrew "discovered" by the "worldly" philosophers is not the hebrew of the old. Just look at how much the english vernacular has changed in the last 200 years.

Those arguing to go back to the 'original hebrew language' is trying to subject god to the "worlds wisdom".....do not be deceived, hold steadfast to the word of God in your King James Bible.

Oh my goodness, you're one of those!
We have far better and clearer documents than the few, much later documents the KJV was based on. So I'm quite happy with the ESV thank you very much, which is a far more accurate version, but not really the point of this thread!

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh my goodness, you're one of those!
We have far better and clearer documents than the few, much later documents the KJV was based on. So I'm quite happy with the ESV thank you very much, which is a far more accurate version, but not really the point of this thread!

Let's see the differences between the word of God and the ESV:

1st John 5:7:
Word of God:
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

ESV:
For there are three that testify.

WHERE IS THE TRINITY IN THE ESV?!?!?!?!?

Philippians 2:
Word of God:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

ESV:
who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,

In the ESV, Jesus cannot grasp being equal with God.

The ESV removes so many verses......it removes from the word of God.

The King James Bible is based on what has been passed down from generation to generation. It doesn't need the "worlds philsophers".

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let's see the differences between the word of God and the ESV:

[/FONT]

WHERE IS THE TRINITY IN THE ESV?!?!?!?!?

In the ESV, Jesus cannot grasp being equal with God. What a damnable heresy!

The ESV removes so many verses......it removes from the word of God.

The King James Bible is based on what has been passed down from generation to generation. It doesn't need the "worlds philsophers".

Off topic, and a sad little analysis at that. I know dozens of quite conservative, evangelical bible scholars that are quite happy with the earlier biblical texts that the ESV and other modern translations have drawn on. You're creating a storm in a teacup. Oh, and your logic is a bit back to front as well. (KJV based on later, less accurate texts says this, therefore earlier, more accurate texts must be wrong! :doh:)

This thread is about the scientific reality of climate change and how to respond to it. I think we have the technology. The question is whether we can raise the will power of our nations to do something about it!

Watch the candle! 90 seconds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Un69RMNSw

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're ranting and confused.
No. Maybe the global warming heated your head?

Try to write smaller sentences and actually think about the implications of what you are saying. EG: I'm 'blaming you' for coal because you're attacking climate science. Try and think through the link, and get back to me when you can write a coherent sentence.

So who do you blame for coal..you!? Try to write no sentences till you get a grip.

Try and stay on the subject. Do you think coal should get half a TRILLION dollars subsidies a year when it causes that much economic damage in the USA alone?

No. I don't, anymore than I think evolution should be foisted on kids, or money wasted on nukes and the military, etc etc. Coal is just another kid on the block. How about reduce the need for power by stopping wicked or selfish activities? That would probably do the trick right there.

OK, so you're behind people getting throat cancer etc to curb climate change now? ;) :thumbsup: Try thinking before you write.
That has what to do with millions of people not driving to work? Focus.

Absolutely no need to, unless you're talking about coal businesses. Coal mining should be moved into uranium and lithium and even boron metal powder mining, because nuclear power can *easily* replace ALL fossil fuels we use,

Ah, the wolf comes out of the thicket. So you advocate Fukishima Chernoble Three mile Island type power. OK. I do not think that is the wunderbar solution many think it is.
especially if coal mining companies switch into mining lithium for Tesla motor's electric cars
How much do they cost? Can a welfare mom buy one?
, and possibly into splitting water for hydrogen, synthetic diesel, or even burning boron powder to run trucks and harvesters. This will result in cleaner air, less health costs for the USA, more energy security.

Great so when you build your house...call me. Meanwhile camping ain't fun. Quietly work on making infinite power from hydrogen in sea water or something, and get back to us when we can drive to work on it cheap.

Elon Musk is bringing down the price of EV's to family car status.
That means what to the family with a clunker..or taking transit?

You mean the same sin and greed that might corrupt wealthy coal barons into funding denialist activities in church?

People do what they can to stay in business, even advertize. No news there. They must be desperate if they advertize in churches.

Wrong: Christians ARE interested in ways to move superannuation from funding coal to funding clean energy technologies like renewables and GenIV, nuclear-waste-eating, passive safety reactors that even Homer Simpson couldn't break.

Yeah yeah, pi in the sky is great an all. But they are also interested in making more at work than it costs to get there.

350.org founder Bill McKibben is a Christian, and he started the Divestment campaign. Now all manner of Universities and National Governments and even Prince Charles have all Divested: moved their super out of coal into clean energy and non-fossil fuel related investments.

Hey, manage your portfolio any way you like. Personally I would not be real impressed by how Prince Charles chose to be seen spending his booty. Maybe park his yacht and plane and sell a few houses? Save power.
Have you?

Is your super exposed?
My super?
How much money are you going to lose when the $6 TRILLION in global investments in fossil fuels comes tumbling down?

None. Not even some sleep.

The G20 are worried about these stranded assets.

They are not worried about killing babies or pushing Russia to war, or etc etc. Why would I care what the demented knobs say they are worried about?

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No. Maybe the global warming heated your head?

So who do you blame for coal..you!? Try to write no sentences till you get a grip.

No. I don't, anymore than I think evolution should be foisted on kids, or money wasted on nukes and the military, etc etc. Coal is just another kid on the block. How about reduce the need for power by stopping wicked or selfish activities? That would probably do the trick right there.

That has what to do with millions of people not driving to work? Focus.

Ah, the wolf comes out of the thicket. So you advocate Fukishima Chernoble Three mile Island type power. OK. I do not think that is the wunderbar solution many think it is. How much do they cost? Can a welfare mom buy one?

Great so when you build your house...call me. Meanwhile camping ain't fun. Quietly work on making infinite power from hydrogen in sea water or something, and get back to us when we can drive to work on it cheap.

That means what to the family with a clunker..or taking transit?

People do what they can to stay in business, even advertize. No news there. They must be desperate if they advertize in churches.

Yeah yeah, pi in the sky is great an all. But they are also interested in making more at work than it costs to get there.

Hey, manage your portfolio any way you like. Personally I would not be real impressed by how Prince Charles chose to be seen spending his booty. Maybe park his yacht and plane and sell a few houses? Save power.
My super?

None. Not even some sleep.

They are not worried about killing babies or pushing Russia to war, or etc etc. Why would I care what the demented knobs say they are worried about?

When you can say something coherent and logical enough to respond to, I'll respond. Until then, goodbye and goodluck in tinfoil hat land.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The question is malformed, because the poser is labouring under faulty assumptions.

Climate change is an older scientific term than global warming. Use of the phrase 'climate change' in scientific research dates back until at least the 1860s.

Use of the term 'change of climate' dates back even further, to the 1770s.

Global warming is a narrower term than climate change. It has been used in the scientific literature since the 1890s.

The terms are partially interchangeable, but there was never a deliberate or distinct switch between climate change and global warming. Use of the term global warming became as discussion of the observed increase in land and ocean temperatures by scientists became more intense through the 1970s and 1980s. In the meantime, discussion of the global cooling phenomenon, which had been common among scientific literature in the 1960s and early 1970s, petered out as the long-term warming trend became apparent.

Once it was realised how quickly the warming phenomenon was occurring, the term global warming has been used to generally describe this rapid increase - its causes, mechanisms, rate and potential future scenarios. Climate change is used to discuss the broader implications of this warming - what it will do to average temperatures, sea levels, rainfall/storm patterns and the implications for future human activities.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For our American Christian denialists, what do you make of the fact that the COE has Divested?

One of the world's wealthiest religious institutions, the Church of England, says it has divested about $18 million in investments in thermal coal tar sands companies to promote a transition to a low-carbon economy.

The Church Commissioners, which manages the church's investment portfolio, announced this week it would adopt the new climate change policy recommended by the Church's Ethical Investment Advisory Group (EIAG).

Under the policy, no direct investments will be made in companies where over 10 per cent of revenue is derived from thermal coal extraction or oil production from tar sands.

In addition, the church's three national investing bodies said it would increase their low-carbon investments.

Deputy chair of the EIAG, Richard Burridge, said the church had a moral responsibility to speak and act on both environmental stewardship and justice for the world's poor who were vulnerable to climate change.

"This responsibility encompasses not only the church's own work to reduce our own carbon footprint, but also how the church's money is invested and how we engage with companies on this vital issue," he said.

The Church of England is followed by 80 million Anglicans worldwide and holds total investments worth about $13 billion which are used to pay clergy pensions and fund the church's work.

While some is invested in funds, the church also has direct investments of more than $19 million in Royal Shell, BP Plc, Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton.

The Church of England announced last December that it was in the process of filing shareholder resolutions on climate change at BP and Royal Dutch Shell.

The church previously led a shareholder push to urge oil and gas giant BP to publish regular updates on how the company's strategies were affecting climate change, making it one of the first global oil companies to disclose such details.

Director of investments at the Church Commissioners, Tom Joy, said the church would engage with companies and policy makers ahead of the UN climate change conference in Paris at the end of the year.

"We need governments meeting in Paris at the end of this year to agree long-term global emissions targets with a clear pathway to a low carbon future," he said.

The announcement comes ahead of Pope Francis' release of an encyclical setting out Roman Catholic doctrine on environmental issues, which is expected to make waves on the global warming debate.

Church of England sells off $23 million of investments in fossil fuel to help curb climate change - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Given the almost romantic love that seems to exist between the average denialist and the American military, I think they might be interested in this...

Pentagon: Climate change a national security threat | TheHill

You're not suggesting that the average Denialist is a gun-toting, Bush-voting, tobacco-chewing, slack-jawed redneck hillbilly whose mighty fine, good-old-boys dream of a free marketplace has let them consider the notion of cooking their grandchildren's planet to smithereens, are ya? :cool:

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you can say something coherent and logical enough to respond to, I'll respond. Until then, goodbye and goodluck in tinfoil hat land.
Work on the comprehension thing, rather than try to obfuscate the fact that you just don't get it. When you are able to respond let us know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The question is malformed, because the poser is labouring under faulty assumptions.

Climate change is an older scientific term than global warming. Use of the phrase 'climate change' in scientific research dates back until at least the 1860s.

Use of the term 'change of climate' dates back even further, to the 1770s.

Global warming is a narrower term than climate change. It has been used in the scientific literature since the 1890s.

The terms are partially interchangeable, but there was never a deliberate or distinct switch between climate change and global warming. Use of the term global warming became as discussion of the observed increase in land and ocean temperatures by scientists became more intense through the 1970s and 1980s. In the meantime, discussion of the global cooling phenomenon, which had been common among scientific literature in the 1960s and early 1970s, petered out as the long-term warming trend became apparent.

Once it was realised how quickly the warming phenomenon was occurring, the term global warming has been used to generally describe this rapid increase - its causes, mechanisms, rate and potential future scenarios. Climate change is used to discuss the broader implications of this warming - what it will do to average temperatures, sea levels, rainfall/storm patterns and the implications for future human activities.
So? The climate changes over time, no news there, call it what you like. If it is getting warmer in these late days of man, whoopee do. Sin has many manifestations..messing up the climate is just another pimple on the outbreak of sin on the face of man's world!

Looking at the pre flood world we know the climate was different just as when we look at the post Jesus taking over the world age! Try to accept this.

Upvote 0

amanuensis63

Nov 29, 2014
✟7,455.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I completely agree...it is a complete distraction from what we all should be focused on. We should be letting people know Jesus loves them, God is in control and we have nothing to fear with Him in our life.

My TV and radio have been long gone.

Unfortunately Adam and Eve ate of the Tree of knowledge of good and evil. That means we are now responsible for OUR ACTIONS. We have been given a heavy burden: we must now accept responsibility for when we commit evil.

And on that day we surely die.

If we simply opt to commit evil knowing we are commiting evil we truly earn the Curse of Adam. We truly earn our death.

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately Adam and Eve ate of the Tree of knowledge of good and evil. That means we are now responsible for OUR ACTIONS. We have been given a heavy burden: we must now accept responsibility for when we commit evil.

And on that day we surely die.

If we simply opt to commit evil knowing we are commiting evil we truly earn the Curse of Adam. We truly earn our death.

Punishment will come to the world for the evil in it. I live my life as Jesus leads me, and leave the sin in the world to the power of our Almighty Father in Heaven.

Everything is going according to God's plan. Raise up your voice and rejoice. :amen:

Upvote 0

amanuensis63

Nov 29, 2014
✟7,455.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are lot's of people who will not kneel down to baal (satan) in this world.

The world seeks after their own rightenousness...they want to establish their own rightenousness rather than count on god for his (jesus) rightenousness.

And a lot of people bow down to willful ignorance so as to avoid feeling the "guilt". The first step toward receiving grace is to understand that one is in need of salvation. That one is guilty before God.

If we act willfully evil without remorse or contrition, do we truly accept God's grace? Or are we spitting in his face?

Upvote 0

amanuensis63

Nov 29, 2014
✟7,455.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Punishment will come to the world for the evil in it. I live my life as Jesus leads me, and leave the sin in the world to the power of our Almighty Father in Heaven.

Everything is going according to God's plan. Raise up your voice and rejoice. :amen:

So if we just opt to continue polluting and burning fossil fuels destroying our ecosystem that's all part of God's plan? Does that mean that it is part of God's plan for Adam to have eaten the fruit?

Do we have any responsibility to act "good" at all? Or is every action we take, no matter how evil or self-destructive all part of God's plan?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And a lot of people bow down to willful ignorance so as to avoid feeling the "guilt". The first step toward receiving grace is to understand that one is in need of salvation. That one is guilty before God.

If we act willfully evil without remorse or contrition, do we truly accept God's grace? Or are we spitting in his face?

They sure do. Absolutely. :amen:

My sin has been forgiven and my faith rests in Jesus. The world around us is changing rapidly and the day of the Lord is almost upon us. All is as God said it would be, because of the Fall.

If we are doing the will of the Father, we have nothing to fear.

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So if we just opt to continue polluting and burning fossil fuels destroying our ecosystem that's all part of God's plan? Does that mean that it is part of God's plan for Adam to have eaten the fruit?

Do we have any responsibility to act "good" at all? Or is every action we take, no matter how evil or self-destructive all part of God's plan?

If following Jesus, it is all good...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
So? That ain't the only horse in the stable.

So you just dismiss the fact that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas?

No. I am saying that you cannot predict what WILL come in! Nor can you tell us what did come in at the dawn of man. What's left? Predicting what will occur in the last part of the Obama admin? Hey, that depends on war or peace I would suspect. Yes. They abuse facts for gain, or for sheer stupidity.

We can most certainly predict what will come. The physics of the greenhouse effect are unavoidable. The more carbon dioxide you put in the air, the more heat the carbon dioxide will trap. The more heat you trap, the hotter it gets. Not that hard to figure out.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They sure do. Absolutely. :amen:

My sin has been forgiven and my faith rests in Jesus. The world around us is changing rapidly and the day of the Lord is almost upon us. All is as God said it would be, because of the Fall.

If we are doing the will of the Father, we have nothing to fear.
In any case, the weather has never in history been absolutely static.

Taking care of natural resources is good, but it needs to be balanced with economic benefits, etc.

Yes, our faith journey to God through Christ is paramount.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
There are lot's of people who will not kneel down to baal (satan) in this world.

The world seeks after their own rightenousness...they want to establish their own rightenousness rather than count on god for his (jesus) rightenousness.

Are you saying that the physics behind the greenhouse effect was invented by Satan?

Upvote 0