Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've read literature that corroborates this view; e.g. that spiritual views / religious beliefs can help people cope with certain things than those without.

On the flipside, there tend to be greater correlation between social ills and hardship and those with said spiritual views / religious beliefs, than those without.

Which makes me wonder if part of the driver of religious beliefs are those hardships in the first place. Especially since almost every conversion story I've ever read usually starts out with a tragedy.

I'm sure that just as many abandon religion for the same reason.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, we already know what you think of the spirituality of Christians who don't agree with you about creationism.

I have no opinion about that.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ignorance -- the lack of knowledge of a topic -- is a reason that a creature might not be able to recognize things. Going back to the thing I was quoting, the reason a member of an evolved species (that is a species that arose through evolution) might not realize its species had evolved because it was ignorant (unaware) of evolution.

Interesting.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Without reading the link our weapons programs are run by evolutionist scientists.
I seem to remember a number of wars that Christian Americans enthusiastically participated in.

Any number of acts of brutality and utilisation of advanced weaponry that Christians and non Christians alike are willing to use.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
We have the knowledge of how to do most things properly. What in our evolutionary past (or present) causes us to be so destructive in many things that we attempt to do? :scratch:
Both our knowledge and our destructive and tribalism short-termism can be seen as evolutionary developments.

We are 'hard-wired' to be loss-averse and are inclined only to defer gratification when there is a clear personal advantage and control ('a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'). Our tribalism and territoriality tend to hinder large-scale cooperation and foster inequalities. The drive to status and wealth can be controlled in small groups, but not so easily in larger societies, etc. The result is a tendency to short-term thinking, profiteering, and reluctance to invest in long-term projects will uncertain personal return. Where cultures organise to avoid tyranny, e.g. democracies, the tribalism and short-term political cycle do little to foster long-term projects.

Ironically, the emergent nature of the development of human culture really shows the lack of an overarching teleology - it 'growed like Topsy' (Uncle Tom's Cabin, "I spect I grow'd. Don't think nobody never made me.").

But such explanations are easy to construct, but not so easy to verify or validate.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Both our knowledge and our destructive and tribalism short-termism can be seen as evolutionary developments.

We are 'hard-wired' to be loss-averse and are inclined only to defer gratification when there is a clear personal advantage and control ('a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'). Our tribalism and territoriality tend to hinder large-scale cooperation and foster inequalities. The drive to status and wealth can be controlled in small groups, but not so easily in larger societies, etc. The result is a tendency to short-term thinking, profiteering, and reluctance to invest in long-term projects will uncertain personal return. Where cultures organise to avoid tyranny, e.g. democracies, the tribalism and short-term political cycle do little to foster long-term projects.

Ironically, the emergent nature of the development of human culture really shows the lack of an overarching teleology - it 'growed like Topsy' (Uncle Tom's Cabin, "I spect I grow'd. Don't think nobody never made me.").

But such explanations are easy to construct, but not so easy to verify or validate.

But can't all this occur without the destructiveness? With our ingenuity can't we solve problems instead of making a business of them?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But can't all this occur without the destructiveness? With our ingenuity can't we solve problems instead of making a business of them?
As a Christian you should have a ready answer for that: Romans 3:23.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Clearly not; yes, in some circumstances we can, and do, do it, but - in general - our 'instincts' prevail.

We are not rational creatures, overall.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0