Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
One law is not a "lawless" system :) The law of love, is still a "law" -- trust God and love people; pretty cool huh?

There is a commandment to love; bearing in mind the Greek word has a specific meaning; the English word love is an empty emotional sack that doesn't mean anything until one put something in it or defines what one is talking about. scripture may use love to describe that ugly and bitter Law that Christians want to abrogate and which God calls perfect.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is a commandment to love; bearing in mind the Greek word has a specific meaning; the English word love is an empty emotional sack that doesn't mean anything until one put something in it or defines what one is talking about. scripture may use love to describe that ugly and bitter Law that Christians want to abrogate and which God calls perfect.
Hello sparrow.

Is this a commandment?

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

Is not forgiving others a sin?

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello sparrow.

Is this a commandment?

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

Is not forgiving others a sin?

I would say Matt 6:15 is good advice, not a commandment; one has to be careful to not be like the Jews and finish up with 600 Laws instead of ten.

Matt 6:15 is a conclusion reached from the Lords prayer; it also involves not being a hypocrite and not praying as the Pagans do; it is an interesting chapter.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing the argument that one can not be saved by keeping the Law, but I have never heard anyone claim that; maybe the Pharisees and Judaism claim that; but the OT teaches differently. It is an abomination to keep the Law without entering into the covenant and this is of course what Israel did frequently. Salvation is a function of the covenant which also requires the Law be kept.

Wow Sparow....where on Earth do you go to church?who is preaching this damnable stuff or did you make it up your self?There is Good News out there you need to hear.....please google Ironside Gospel.....for your own sake....let me know what you think

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow Sparow....where on Earth do you go to church?who is preaching this damnable stuff or did you make it up your self?There is Good News out there you need to hear.....please google Ironside Gospel.....for your own sake....let me know what you think

Gal5:14.....”you keep the whole Law when you do one thing—-love your neighbor like yourself”
Did you ever hear the term”fallen from grace”? It ain’t what happened to Swaggert and the other jack-leg preachers from tv...Gal5:4....”you have been severed from Christ,you who are seeking to be justified by law,you have fallen from grace”

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gal5:14.....”you keep the whole Law when you do one thing—-love your neighbor like yourself”
Did you ever hear the term”fallen from grace”? It ain’t what happened to Swaggert and the other jack-leg preachers from tv...Gal5:4....”you have been severed from Christ,you who are seeking to be justified by law,you have fallen from grace”

......so to go back my original post——this is why I don’t understand the fascination with the law....it is great...but trying to follow it ain’t gonna get you to Heaven.....Martin Luther said to let the Jews have the Law—and he did not mean it in a nice way.....We have something much better—GRACE—which God gives freely to those believe The Gospel (1cor15)..”FOR YOUR SALVATION...plus NOTHING!

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I browsed Ironsides view of the Gospel and he did a good job but I do not follow men; not ironside not Swaggat not Luther and not Paul, I follow Jesus. The Gospel Jesus preached was "repent the kingdom of God is at hand"; the nearness of the kingdom of God was the good news and also that repentance was still accepted; also it could be said the Gospel is that our king is among us and our judge, jury and advocate is among us.

Maybe you should ask who is preaching your stuff to you.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Trumpeter2
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I use grace differently to you; for me grace is a false doctrine a doctrine of men in place of what God has given. The God who made the covenant with us is indeed very graceful and long suffering.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I use grace differently to you; for me grace is a false doctrine a doctrine of men in place of what God has given. The God who made the covenant with us is indeed very graceful and long suffering.

Well , you answered my question..you make it up your yourself...grace is the only thing that saves anybody and you call it a le lie."..As to who I follow—I obey the Word which says we are to follow Paul—-as he follows Christ!!
an. Here is another tidbit from Paul—the Gospel is hidden from those who perish...I pray that the Holy Spirit opens your eyes

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've not seen one person in this entire thread claiming to be justified by the law. I've only seen people read into something others say.

The law isn't the currency we buy our salvation with. Its the receipt that is proof of our salvation. Jesus on the cross is what buys our salvation, but the proof of that His spirit lives on in is, is that we desire to be free of sin (which is the transgression of the law) causing us to abandon our old ways and obey Him and His holy law.

Ezekiel 36:26-27 -
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them

It's not hard. There's not "613" like people say. We can't do most of them. Many were given to certain people. Some to women, some to Levites, some to the Levitical sons of Aaron, some to farmers, to slave owners, to children, etc. If you're not any of those things, they don't apply. We have no temple - so we can't sacrifice. That and Jesus is our priest, and only the priest is to offer sacrifices. We have no judges council, so no stoning.

Right now there's really only 150-200 that apply to any one person if you go through and read the context they were given in. Even God himself says that keeping the law isn't too hard for us.

Dueteronomy 30:11-14 - 11For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. 12It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 13Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 14But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Being justified by the law is impossible, but with faith the places we fail and are lacking are made up for. That's what Paul is talking about in Romans 7-8. In 7 he desires to keep the law, but his flesh causes him to stumble, and at the end of 7 he says though he stumbles Jesuss atones for his failure. Chapter 8 talks about how the law of God is what we desire to follow in our heart and mind and try our best to keep as best we can, but our fleshly body causes us to disobey. But those of the flesh desire to and do disobey it even in their heart and mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing the argument that one can not be saved by keeping the Law, but I have never heard anyone claim that; maybe the Pharisees and Judaism claim that; but the OT teaches differently. It is an abomination to keep the Law without entering into the covenant and this is of course what Israel did frequently. Salvation is a function of the covenant which also requires the Law be kept.

Good point.

And we never hear anyone argue "you must take God's name in vain to show that you are not saved by works" ... few if any of the Ten Commandments get treated that way by most Christians.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I've not seen one person in this entire thread claiming to be justified by the law

true that point is irrefutable.

Though you "can" find some people at times accusing others of "thinking it"

Reactions: Trumpeter2
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We are "saved by grace through faith - not of works lest anyone should boast" -

This means that only the perfect life of Christ could ever pass "the standard" of the perfect Law of God which includes the Ten Commandments.

But as Paul says in 1 Cor 6 "do not be deceived" into thinking that rebellion is the key to eternal life.

Rather in Romans 8:4-9 the distinction Paul makes between saved and lost is that in the case of the lost "they do not submit to the LAW of God - neither indeed CAN they".

By contrast the saints "KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've not seen one person in this entire thread claiming to be justified by the law. I've only seen people read into something others say.

The law isn't the currency we buy our salvation with. Its the receipt that is proof of our salvation. Jesus on the cross is what buys our salvation, but the proof of that His spirit lives on in is, is that we desire to be free of sin (which is the transgression of the law) causing us to abandon our old ways and obey Him and His holy law.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them

It's not hard. There's not "613" like people say. We can't do most of them. Many were given to certain people. Some to women, some to Levites, some to the Levitical sons of Aaron, some to farmers, to slave owners, to children, etc. If you're not any of those things, they don't apply. We have no temple - so we can't sacrifice. That and Jesus is our priest, and only the priest is to offer sacrifices. We have no judges council, so no stoning.

Right now there's really only 150-200 that apply to any one person if you go through and read the context they were given in. Even God himself says that keeping the law isn't too hard for us.

Dueteronomy 30:11-14 - 11For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. 12It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 13Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 14But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Being justified by the law is impossible, but with faith the places we fail and are lacking are made up for. That's what Paul is talking about in Romans 7-8. In 7 he desires to keep the law, but his flesh causes him to stumble, and at the end of 7 he says though he stumbles Jesuss atones for his failure. Chapter 8 talks about how the law of God is what we desire to follow in our heart and mind and try our best to keep as best we can, but our fleshly body causes us to disobey. But those of the flesh desire to and do disobey it even in their heart and mind.

You say you have not seen one person in this thread not trying to preach law ? did you not read the posts of bob Ryan Or sparo ?.....th law is great no doubt....we do not “have” to keep it to be saved.....we will “find ourselves keeping the law” by the Holy Spirit working IN us....trusting God to work in us from the inside out is how we are “transferred” into the image of Jesus. You can work your best use self control and will power etc It you can’t “transfor m Your self....That is an act of God..".the man that trusts God to do the changing will do better than the guy who works at it because he thinks his salvation depends on it....”and we all know it””

O

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Devin P said:
I've not seen one person in this entire thread claiming to be justified by the law.

You say you have not seen one person in this thread not trying to preach law ? did you not read the posts of bob Ryan Or sparo ?.

Correction -- Devin said "justified by law" then you "changed it" to something else as if to oppose Romans 3:31

....the law is great no doubt.... we will “find ourselves keeping the law” by the Holy Spirit working IN us....trusting God to work in us from the inside out is how we are “transferred” into the image of Jesus.

Rebellion against God's Word is not the path to heaven according to Paul in 1 Cor 6
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

• Friendly
Reactions: Devin P
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Christians didn't abrogate that law, God did.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would say Matt 6:15 is good advice, not a commandment; one has to be careful to not be like the Jews and finish up with 600 Laws instead of ten.

Matt 6:15 is a conclusion reached from the Lords prayer; it also involves not being a hypocrite and not praying as the Pagans do; it is an interesting chapter.
Interesting to say the least.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Nothing (pre or post) in the OT applies to the Christian when it comes to salvation.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We are "saved by grace through faith - not of works lest anyone should boast" -

This means that only the perfect life of Christ could ever pass "the standard" of the perfect Law of God which includes the Ten Commandments.

But as Paul says in 1 Cor 6 "do not be deceived" into thinking that rebellion is the key to eternal life.

Rather in Romans 8:4-9 the distinction Paul makes between saved and lost is that in the case of the lost "they do not submit to the LAW of God - neither indeed CAN they".

By contrast the saints "KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
This post is double speak. Consider what it says and what the poster tries to defend. The poster is trying to defend the law as a requirement for the Christian. The faith of Jesus is not the law. John doesn't promote keeping the law for salvation. The poster means only those who keep the sabbath have the right to the Tree of Life. This is contrary to John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Upvote 0