Who's the oldest entertainer you can think of that was alive in your lifetime.

sesquiterpene

Sep 14, 2018
USA
✟160,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The first person to spring to mind was Shirley Temple, because she was the same age as my mother - and my mother is still alive! I tried to remember aged characters from TV shows when I was a kid, and the first one to come to mind was Leo G Carroll - Alexander Waverly in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. , born 1886. I'll have to pose the same question to my mom when I see her next week.
The oldest one I've found after some more idle searching was the guardian angel in It's a Wonderful Life - Henry Travers, born in 1874. I feel like quite a geezer.

I posed the same question to my mom, 95 years old this October. She didn't see any TV shows until she was in college, they simply didn't exist yet. She remembers watching a lot of matinee movies, but she didn't remember many titles. She did mention listening to radio shows, Little Orphan Annie in particular. This leads to May Robson, one of the voice actors, born in 1858, before the Civil War in the US began.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember watching the new Jerry Lewis movies on Saturday morning TV. And all those dean martin movies and Frank Sinatra. The Rat pack made the first Oceans Eleven movie! That was good even with the lack of technology.

And Betty White too. She was be-yoo-ti-full when she was youngish.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The oldest one I've found after some more idle searching was the guardian angel in It's a Wonderful Life - Henry Travers, born in 1874. I feel like quite a geezer.

I posed the same question to my mom, 95 years old this October. She didn't see any TV shows until she was in college, they simply didn't exist yet. She remembers watching a lot of matinee movies, but she didn't remember many titles. She did mention listening to radio shows, Little Orphan Annie in particular. This leads to May Robson, one of the voice actors, born in 1858, before the Civil War in the US began

.im sure you can't have been around for most of those or youd be dead:)

Upvote 0

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe Charlie Chaplin, i dunno. Thats a hard one. That you personally, can remember. Maybe not as i remember my first movie i remember was with Orson Welles or MARLIN BRANDo, where he was thrown on rocks and killed. I was traumatized. So thats good that i can't remember very well now.
George Burns

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember watching the Honeymooners and the Rifleman eons ago.

Patricia Blair divorced Daniel Boone and 100 years later opened a Hotel in Northfork, Lol.

I remember Hope Summers as Hattie on the Rifleman too. Don't you talk to me about Principles Lucas, I'm a woman...Lol.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Though Dick Van Dyke may catch him and even surpass him.
That would be nice but he looks like a skeleton walking and tottering, God bless. As old as he is there he was on masked singer, absolute shock

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure of what the question is asking, and the responses are not making it any clearer.

The celebrity that I've known in my lifetime (I was alive and old enough to enjoy their contemporary work) who lived the longest was Kirk Douglas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Gotta mention Clint Eastwood. He's still with us at 93. Who else could play Dirty Harry? I posted his great little speech in an earlier thread on memorable movie quotes. This is still one of the best ever:

“I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?”​

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gotta mention Clint Eastwood. He's still with us at 93. Who else could play Dirty Harry? I posted his great little speech in an earlier thread on memorable movie quotes. This is still one of the best ever:

“I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?”​

Of course, in reality, if a .44 is not already cocked, you can look directly at the front of the next chamber or if it is cocked, you can look down the barrel and see whether there is another round ready to be fired.

• Informative
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Of course, in reality, if a .44 is not already cocked, you can look directly at the front of the next chamber or if it is cocked, you can look down the barrel and see whether there is another round ready to be fired.
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that. But to be fair to the film, if a cop that hated my guts was pointing a large gun at my face, I'd probably be panicky inside and not thinking clearly. :)

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0