Who is Allah? the poll version

Who is Allah?

• Allah is the same being as Yahweh of the Christians and Jews.

• Allah is a real being, but he is not the one true god, but rather a false god.

• Allah is a fictional character, like St. George.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thus, it is not a contradiction. The Hebrews and the Greeks did not call God 'God'. 'God' is an English word and as such did not exist.

I beg to differ on what Oldshepherd had intimated in his last post. If I may, I think Oldshepherd is referring to the Name by which God calls Himself, not the descriptive noun assigned to Him. E.g. we can all be called a 'person' but as individuals we all have personal names (John, Petra, Jim etc...). YHWH is the Name of God.

Oldshepherd's point was that YHWH or an Arabic translation of this is not mentioned in the Qu'ran in the same way/context that it has been mentioned in the Old and New Testaments.

God bless

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterday at 11:03 PM David Gould said this in Post #80

Am I correct here or am I missing something?

You missed the CROSS and so did they. :wave:  

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The God of the O.T. identified Himself to Moses as éäåä/YHWH" the widely accepted vocalization of that is Yahweh. He is the God of Judaism and the God of the Christians.

The Lord bless you Oldshepherd,

I've learnt something new from your posts and I was wondering what your thoughts are from the following (to cement what you've said):

Surah 114:1 Say "I seek refuge with (Allah) the Lord of mankind,"

(the 'Allah' in brackets in the surah is the translator's into English clarification of what/who is meant by the Arabic 'the Lord' in the sentence).

I just need clarification of what you said and in no way am I disagreeing (when learning of something new I like to leave no stone unturned).

God bless & look forward to learning more. :wave:

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1st April 2003 at 04:47 AM Zico said this in Post #83

What's in the cross to miss ?

The crucifixion of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, in payment for the sins of man. This one event is the largest and most significant in the Holy Bible. Jesus Christ arose from the dead and serves as THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE.

The crucifixion of Jesus Christ ended the curse of the law of sin and death. Thus, the Gospel of God's Grace was proclaimed to man. Sinful man can accept Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour, seek forgiveness of sins, and receive Salvation unto Eternal Life. Jesus is the greatest Gift ever given of God to man. Jesus Christ loves us, gave his life for us, and HE LIVES to protect and guide his sheep.  

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
1st April 2003 at 08:26 PM 357magnum said this in Post #82

You missed the CROSS and so did they. :wave:  

Can you answer the question, please: do Jews worship a false god?

If not why not?

If so why?

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1st April 2003 at 11:07 AM David Gould said this in Post #77

'Allah' is the Arabic word for God. It is not a name. It is like the Latin 'Dei'.

Arabic Christians, when speaking in Arabic, use the word 'Allah'.

Thus, it is not a contradiction. The Hebrews and the Greeks did not call God 'God'. 'God' is an English word and as such did not exist.
I beg to differ, check the book I linked to, to Muslims "Allah" is the name of the creator and is applied to nothing else in creation.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
2nd April 2003 at 07:04 PM OldShepherd said this in Post #87

I beg to differ, check the book I linked to, to Muslims "Allah" is the name of the creator and is applied to nothing else in creation.

Of course Allah is applied to nothing else in creation. It is a monotheistic religion.

You are wrong, by the way - talk to some Arab Christians. 'Allah' is what they call God.

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Quote zico - 20.123 He said: Go down hence, both of you, one of you a foe unto the other. But when there come unto you from Me a guidance, then whoso followeth My guidance, he will not go astray nor come to grief.

Hi there zico , look i'm not a muslim and i know very little about islam so i would like to ask a few questions if that's ok.
From the above scripture could you tell me who the guidance "was" or "is".

But this next one is really confusing :

Quote zico  -  Here we find God speaking to Adam and Eve and promising them that they and their offspring wont get lost if they follow one of the lights,

zico are you saying there is more than one light ?

Upvote 0

Zico

Alhamdu Lillahi Rabbil Alameen
Jun 24, 2002
Kuwait
Visit site
✟578.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Brain Damage,

Here is one example :

2.087 And verily We gave unto Moses the Scripture and We caused a train of messengers to follow after him, and We gave unto Jesus, son of Mary, clear proofs (of Allah's sovereignty), and We supported him with the Holy spirit. Is it ever so, that, when there cometh unto you a messenger (from Allah) with that which ye yourselves desire not, ye grow arrogant, and some ye disbelieve and some ye slay ?

Let alone the messengers of the old ( ie. Noah, Job, Hud, Saleh, Jonah, King David, King Solomon and many more ) peace be upon them all.

God Has never left a nation without a warner, islam wasnt there since the biginning of time, but God Himself as we believe chose it to be the last and most complete religion He accepts for man after the sets of rules which were given to the prophets of old, and to repair the damage done to His words and the true message of His oneness in the Torah and the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Quote zico - and We gave unto Jesus, son of Mary,

So zico you believe that jesus was the son of mary and that's good to hear , but who do muslims say is jesus father ?

Quote zico - God Has never left a nation without a warner, islam wasnt there since the biginning of time, but God Himself as we believe chose it to be the last and most complete religion He accepts for man after the sets of rules which were given to the prophets of old,

Zico can you tell me which prophets we are talking about here ?
Thanks mate.

Upvote 0

Zico

Alhamdu Lillahi Rabbil Alameen
Jun 24, 2002
Kuwait
Visit site
✟578.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Brain Damage,

1. Actually next to being the son of Mary he is also the Messiah, the blessing upon Israel, the light of Israel, the one person in the whole creation who is un touched by satan ( According to Muhammad ), he spoke to people in his cradle, he healed the sick and the leper, roze up the dead and was given the scripture ( injeel, good tidings ) all by his Lord's support and will, but the most amazing of his miracles is the fact that he had no father at all, he was from the holy spirit breathed by God into the womb of the woman who was chaste. This is how the Qur'an testifies to Christ.

2. Actually its a tree of messengers and prophets starting from our father Adam and ending with Muhammad, and that includes ( but not limited to ) :
Noah, Abraham "God's friend", Isac, Ishmael, Hud, Saleh, Dhul-kifl, Jonah, Dhul-qarnain, Jonah, Job, King David, King Solomon, Elija, Elias, Joseph, Jacob, Aron, Moses"the only man who spoke to God directly", Al-Khidhr and Jesus Christ"The Messiah") .

Note: There are many messengers whom we don't know about ( according to the Qur'an ) and for an accurate record of all of the messengers mentioned in the Qur'an, i can probably find a link to the tree. Thats because i could be missing some of the names here.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Zico's sounds like he believes in Jesus just like us.

Not exactly like we do. Muslims believe that Jesus was 'just' a great prophet but they do not believe in the trinity as we do. The Quran (Surah 4:171) states:

O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allah aught but the truth. The Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, was (no more than) a Messenger of Allah and His Word, ("Be!" - and he was) which He bestowed on Mary and a spirit (Ruh) created by Him; so believe in Allah and His Messengers. Say not: "Three (Trinity)!" Cease! (it is) better for you. For Allah is (the only) One Ilah (God), Glory be to Him (far exalted is He) above having a son.

There are other parts in the Quran where it is written that Jesus was never crucified (Surah 4:157) also.

So whilst there are similarities, there are also fundamental differences too.

In Him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Zico,

Is Jesus Christ the Son of God, very God?

Did Jesus Christ die on the cross for the sins of man?

Did Jesus Christ arise from the dead on the third day and ascend back to heaven?

Is belief in Jesus Christ, The Living Saviour, the only way for man to be saved?

Jesus Christ is the center of this conversation and should be. I was just curious about what you believe or don't believe about Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yesterday at 03:21 PM Lotuspetal_uk said this in Post #95

Not exactly like we do. Muslims believe that Jesus was 'just' a great prophet but they do not believe in the trinity as we do. The Quran (Surah 4:171) states:

There are other parts in the Quran where it is written that Jesus was never crucified (Surah 4:157) also.

So whilst there are similarities, there are also fundamental differences too.

In Him

But are the differences any greater than that of the Christians and the Jews? We all attest to the fact that we worship the God of the Jews. But they also do not believe as we do in Christ.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
BTW : I could not vote on the poll. I have not been lead to Allah. I am a Christian and only know the truth of my own faith. I can not be the judge of the faith of others. I have no inner knowledge of Allah. But I place no limits on God in his power to draw together all of mankind into his arms.

Still, even if God is also Allah... he has not instructed that the gentiles choose that path. There are no provisions for us in their faith.

Upvote 0