Is Arminianism heresy?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Let me get a few things straight. One I'm being totally serious. 2. I'm not talking about ALL Arminians. And 3. I'm not calling Arminian Protestants, Orthodox, Catholic or any other Christians thst believe in the fundamental basics of Christian theology not Christian. I'm talking about the ones that give Arminianism a bad name. They generally don't believe in repentance and they don't ask God for forgiveness. They just think that they're saved because a pastor told them so because they prayed a prayer once in their life and then never touched Christianity again. Never prayed to Jesus again or God and they go to church every Sunday thinking that they believe in a Biblical God when they in fact, don't believe in the God of the Bible because the real God of the Bible is way to "harsh" for them. Because of that they generally don't read the Bible or they twist it to say whatever their itching ears want to hear. They generally attend a church with a pride flag on it or to a church that completely waters down Christianity and they generally fall away from Christianity because they have no roots in Jesus because God is looking for repentant sinners not prideful "Christians" who love to twist the Bible to say whatever it is they want it to say. They generally sin without remorse and without thinking of the consequences of sin. They generally cling to verses like John 3:16 or some areas of the book of John but completely ignore the rest of the Bible and/or twist it.

If this describes you than I encourage you to defend why this kind of Christianity is biblical. Without twisting the Bible. Without saying that a loving God would never send a person to hell and without spitting in the face of the God of the Bible because that offends me SO much.

Such people are IMO heretics and generally give Arminianism a bad name. It's one thing to claim that God died for the world. Although that is borderline heresy but I'm mostly talking about the people I've described above. This is not a reformed vs Arminian theology thread. The Bible does have one verse that seems to suggest that which is where Jacob Arminius got the idea.

No im talking about a vast majority of the Arminian Christian population who do not believe in God but believe in a God of their own making because that's what Christianity has become these days. Just because you prayed a prayer once in your life does not mean that you are a Christian. It is heresy and God finds it offensive.

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me get a few things straight. One I'm being totally serious. 2. I'm not talking about ALL Arminians. And 3. I'm not calling Arminian Protestants, Orthodox, Catholic or any other Christians thst believe in the fundamental basics of Christian theology not Christian. I'm talking about the ones that give Arminianism a bad name. They generally don't believe in repentance and they don't ask God for forgiveness. They just think that they're saved because a pastor told them so because they prayed a prayer once in their life and then never touched Christianity again. Never prayed to Jesus again or God and they go to church every Sunday thinking that they believe in a Biblical God when they in fact, don't believe in the God of the Bible because the real God of the Bible is way to "harsh" for them. Because of that they generally don't read the Bible or they twist it to say whatever their itching ears want to hear. They generally attend a church with a pride flag on it or to a church that completely waters down Christianity and they generally fall away from Christianity because they have no roots in Jesus because God is looking for repentant sinners not prideful "Christians" who love to twist the Bible to say whatever it is they want it to say. They generally sin without remorse and without thinking of the consequences of sin. They generally cling to verses like John 3:16 or some areas of the book of John but completely ignore the rest of the Bible and/or twist it.

If this describes you than I encourage you to defend why this kind of Christianity is biblical. Without twisting the Bible. Without saying that a loving God would never send a person to hell and without spitting in the face of the God of the Bible because that offends me SO much.

Such people are IMO heretics and generally give Arminianism a bad name. It's one thing to claim that God died for the world. Although that is borderline heresy but I'm mostly talking about the people I've described above. This is not a reformed vs Arminian theology thread. The Bible does have one verse that seems to suggest that which is where Jacob Arminius got the idea.

No im talking about a vast majority of the Arminian Christian population who do not believe in God but believe in a God of their own making because that's what Christianity has become these days. Just because you prayed a prayer once in your life does not mean that you are a Christian. It is heresy and God finds it offensive.
I really don't know the various reasons why someone would choose the Arminian position and then treat the Gospel so lightly. But if they think that they can just choose Jesus to "escape Hell," without genuinely conforming to Christ in their mind and will, then they are delusional.

God can forgive those who fail, but He will not tolerate those who never made an honest commitment, showing the fruits of that commitment in their deeds.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The heresy ,as you say, is uniquely between Calvinism and Arminianism on the subject of free will. Nothing to do about OSAS. Blessings.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

... the elephant in the room here, brother, is that the Christian faith is not only not centered upon a battle between Calvin and Arminius, but it also isn't dependent upon either view. We do ourselves a disservice by trying to pigeon-hole the Christian faith into a single box of pre-articulated orthodoxy that was given to us nearly 2,000 years ago in fragments.

No one has the glue by which to piece together an exacting answer and by which we can all unify into.............one supposed 'denomination.' But hey. That's ok. Why? Because Jesus doesn't really need or theologized glue to hold things together. He especially isn't dependent upon either Calvinism or Arminianism.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is Arminianism heresy?

I do not think that the Catholic Church has passed a judgement about it. But since it is an internal dispute between Calvinists it is likely to be heretical.

Well Protestants have called it heresy before (the synod of dort comes to mind) but I don't want to be the kind of Calvinist who denies that there could be genuine saved Christians from another branch of Protestantism or to say that another denomination is heretical because there are geniune Christians across all denominations.

I mean the Catholic Church even has come under fire before. Constantly since the
Refromation. Just ask most Calvinists these days whether or not the Catholic Church contains saved Christians and they will generally say no. One thing I loved about RC Sproul wasn't just that he was a Presbyterian and I myself am a Presbyterian but that he openly admitted that there were saved Christians across all denominations and that he openly declared heresy like ot should be openly declared. That has been a great leap in Christianity these days compared to what we did to each other in the past. All in the name of heresy. Heresy should be repented from, not punished.

I didn't start this thread to attack heresy but to cause people who may have committed heresy to repent.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well Protestants have called it heresy before (the synod of dort comes to mind) but I don't want to be the kind of Calvinist who denies that there could be genuine saved Christians from another branch of Protestantism or to say that another denomination is heretical because there are geniune Christians across all denominations.

I mean the Catholic Church even has come under fire before. Constantly since the
Refromation. Just ask most Calvinists these days whether or not the Catholic Church contains saved Christians and they will generally say no. One thing I loved about RC Sproul wasn't just that he was a Presbyterian and I myself am a Presbyterian but that he openly admitted that there were saved Christians across all denominations and that he openly declared heresy like ot should be openly declared. That has been a great leap in Christianity these days compared to what we did to each other in the past. All in the name of heresy. Heresy should be repented from, not punished.

I didn't start this thread to attack heresy but to cause people who may have committed heresy to repent.
There is always a difference between doctrine and person; what a Church teaches, or what a Protestant group teaches is doctrine, but the people are always people, made in the image of God and worthy of treatment which recognises their dignity as God's image bearers. Heresy is a serious matter and when it is obdurately adhered to then it is a serious danger to the soul of the one obdurately holding to it. But where it is received as teaching from an authority, a denomination, or an honoured leader then the danger may be reduced as long as the error is repented from when it is known to be error, or at least known to be heresy as defined by the Catholic Church, I say this because it is the responsibility and duty of all to examine their conscience daily to see if they are walking in the way with the Lord or if they have strayed from it.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
... the elephant in the room here, brother, is that the Christian faith is not only not centered upon a battle between Calvin and Arminius, but it also isn't dependent upon either view. We do ourselves a disservice by trying to pigeon-hole the Christian faith into a single box of pre-articulated orthodoxy that was given to us nearly 2,000 years ago in fragments.

No one has the glue by which to piece together an exacting answer and by which we can all unify into.............one supposed 'denomination.' But hey. That's ok. Why? Because Jesus doesn't really need or theologized glue to hold things together. He especially isn't dependent upon either Calvinism or Arminianism.

I know every denomination and religion for that matter says this but Reformed theology really is the closest way to explain the Bible and what it means. It may be offensive to some but it really describes who the God of the Bible really is and is the closest theological concept to who and what God is. There's a reason why before Arminius came that a vast majority of Protestants believed it. Read the bible and i mean really read it from Genesis to Revelation and you will for one see God's election. First he made it known that he elected Israel and then when Christ came to die for his sheep it became common knowledge that God didn't just elect Israel, but that he elected people from all across the world. Luther saw it, Calvin saw it, Augustine saw it, the Bible really does say that God died for people from all across the world. Every Christian will agree with this to a point but what really unites us is the fact that we really are God's children. We may believe different things but we are children of God chosen by God from before the foundation of the world.

Arminianism in general may be borderline heresy because it denies who God really is and undermines God's perfect authority but that does not mean that they are not a part of God's children. Like I said before those who commit heresy do not deserve to be punished, they should repent and turn away from heresy.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know every denomination and religion for that matter says this but Reformed theology really is the closest way to explain the Bible and what it means. It may be offensive to some but it really describes who the God of the Bible really is and is the closest theological concept to who and what God is. There's a reason why before Arminius came that a vast majority of Protestants believed it. Read the bible and i mean really read it from Genesis to Revelation and you will for one see God's election. First he made it known that he elected Israel and then when Christ came to die for his sheep it became common knowledge that God didn't just elect Israel, but that he elected people from all across the world. Luther saw it, Calvin saw it, Augustine saw it, the Bible really does say that God died for people from all across the world. Every Christian will agree with this to a point but what really unites us is the fact that we really are God's children. We may believe different things but we are children of God chosen by God from before the foundation of the world.

Arminianism in general may be borderline heresy because it denies who God really is and undermines God's perfect authority but that does not mean that they are not a part of God's children. Like I said before those who commit heresy do not deserve to be punished, they should repent and turn away from heresy.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But the truth is, no one has the last word on the nature of our Christian faith or of the Bible. We just have a lot of folks, however, who think they do and thereby point all too decisively to other Christians as "heretics."

I won't say more here because I don't want to trigger you, but try to avoid doing that, Neostarwcc.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0