Jun 2, 2008
greenfield
Visit site
✟15,219.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
people are trying to push you to make a jump you can not make through simple logic. it saddens me when christians ask this of others because i know thats what kept me away from christianity for so long. we do not choose god. we do not choose to believe in god. we realize god, and it is by no means a simple matter of faith. At least it didn't work that way for me.

i don't mind sounding trite. look inside yourself and you'll find what you're looking for. once you find it, it will take you where you need to go.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
people are trying to push you to make a jump you can not make through simple logic. it saddens me when christians ask this of others because i know thats what kept me away from christianity for so long. we do not choose god. we do not choose to believe in god. we realize god, and it is by no means a simple matter of faith. At least it didn't work that way for me.

i don't mind sounding trite. look inside yourself and you'll find what you're looking for. once you find it, it will take you where you need to go.

You're not sounding trite, I appreciate your response and the fact that you are one of the few responders in this thread who actually really understand where I am coming from.

Upvote 0

Agent101

*formerly know as jesusgirl101
Dec 13, 2007
✟9,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for taking the time with this reply, but the references provided are only words from a book, they don't prove anything. I could lift any number of books and quote references along these lines - they don't physically prove anything.

i guess you should first realize that the Bible is truth. you've gotta start there, my friend!

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

bill'swife

let peace rule...
Jan 23, 2005
facebook
Visit site
✟127,389.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
i guess you should first realize that the Bible is truth. you've gotta start there, my friend!

It's not that simple and when you're older and wiser you will realise that :)
God is real....the Bible is truth....When you are gone and dead you will realise that.:)
If you are right and we are wrong then what difference does it make? But
If you are wrong and we are right, wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry?
I just want you to go to Heaven too...:pray:
I know God is real by the way....I know that I know that I know!!!

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
God is real....
Prove it to me :)

the Bible is truth....
define truth

When you are gone and dead you will realise that.:)
We'll see :)

If you are right and we are wrong then what difference does it make? But
If you are wrong and we are right, wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry?
If only it were that simple, but if it was I wouldn't have needed to start this thread in the first place, but I can't just press a button and suddenly believe, it doesn't work like that.

I just want you to go to Heaven too...:pray:
:hug:

I know God is real by the way....I know that I know that I know!!!
How do you know?

Upvote 0

Brendan1000

Jun 16, 2008
✟7,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Buttermilk - it's clear to me that you don't have much religious belief while many of us here do. This forum is primarily for those who believe in Christian principles though we try to welcome others.

You are asking us for clearly defined logic relating to Christianity. Life, as well as Christ, are not axiomized. We do have evidence through through the many fingerprints that we see around us in the world - life, the flowers and trees, human morality, the Bible and so on. We have evidence through human experience and emotion as well. We also have faith - the ability to believe in God without always having 100% clarity.

Anything you see in life, you have an opportunity to deny or doubt. If you ask us for undeniable proof, I don't think you will get what you're looking for. Many people here, out of kindness, were hoping to share their knowledge with you with respect. I hope you can show them the same respect that they have shown you in these matters.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
Buttermilk - it's clear to me that you don't have much religious belief while many of us here do.
You have no idea where I have been or why I am at where I am today, so please don't presume - thank you.

This forum is primarily for those who believe in Christian principles
As an ex-staffer I am more than aware of the whats and what nots of this forum.

though we try to welcome others.
Thats big of you. Jesus will "try" to welcome you too!!!

You are asking us for clearly defined logic relating to Christianity. Life, as well as Christ, are not axiomized. We do have evidence through through the many fingerprints that we see around us in the world - life, the flowers and trees, human morality, the Bible and so on. We have evidence through human experience and emotion as well. We also have faith - the ability to believe in God without always having 100% clarity.
I'm sorry if my questions trouble you so, but that is the way the brain that "your God" gave me operates - if you don't like it.......

Anything you see in life, you have an opportunity to deny or doubt. If you ask us for undeniable proof, I don't think you will get what you're looking for.
That is the way the brain that "your God" gave me operates.

Many people here, out of kindness, were hoping to share their knowledge with you with respect.
Out of kindness!!! - did not Jesus command that you share your knowledge (Evangelise), not do it out of kindness.

I hope you can show them the same respect that they have shown you in these matters.

Disagreement or further questions does not imply disrespect.

I have great respect for many in this thread - perhaps you should try practicing what you preach!!!

Upvote 0

Brendan1000

Jun 16, 2008
✟7,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You have no idea where I have been or why I am at where I am today, so please don't presume - thank you.

As an ex-staffer I am more than aware of the whats and what nots of this forum.

Let's not dance around the topic. You're cearly not agreeing with Christian thought in this tread. I'm not trying to insult or deny your roots.

Thats big of you. Jesus will "try" to welcome you too!!!

Let's face it - Jesus is more accepting than normal human beings. When people disagree in real life, they sometimes have more trouble accepting one another. People aren't perfect.

I'm sorry if my questions trouble you so, but that is the way the brain that "your God" gave me operates - if you don't like it.......

That is the way the brain that "your God" gave me operates.

God also gives freedom of choice via free will.

Out of kindness!!! - did not Jesus command that you share your knowledge (Evangelise), not do it out of kindness.

The things Jesus did were out of kindness. What's the difference?

Disagreement or further questions does not imply disrespect.

I have great respect for many in this thread - perhaps you should try practicing what you preach!!!

I can agree with you on this one - I don't disrespect you as an individual. It just seems tough to use logic to bridge the gap between two sides of a discussion that are so distant from one another and so related to personal opinion.

Upvote 0

bill'swife

let peace rule...
Jan 23, 2005
facebook
Visit site
✟127,389.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If only it were that simple, but if it was I wouldn't have needed to start this thread in the first place, but I can't just press a button and suddenly believe, it doesn't work like that.
I have faith (Heb. 11:1) and pray that God does reveal himself to you in such a way that you cannot deny Him and you too will know. I wish there was a way I could prove Him to you though...With Love....:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tomjr

Oct 8, 2006
✟7,727.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So if you were guaranteed eternal life in Heaven after your time on Earth is through, then why not believe? or not believe and be stuck in hell. I ask you to just believe, ask the Lord to forgive you of your sins and become a Christian. Like someone else posted rather be safe than sorry. I've been where you are questioning if God were real, now I just accept it and when I pray and ask God to fill me with the Holy Spirit I can feel goose bumps. He is real just try and accept it without question. If you do then great things will come to you.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who created God? Where did He come from?

Have you ever heard of the phrase "Ex nihilo nihil fit?"

It simply means: "nothing cannot produce something."

God always has been, and when time ends, He always will be.

Its just that simple.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am paraphasing here - but the Bible states that when we bring the Word to people and they do not listen to dust off your feet and move on - in many of these over 13,000 posts I believe you have more than once received the word and refuse it - now it becomes a personal responsibility between you and God - God did not tell us to stick around and go back and forth, back and forth, have words thrown back at us and on and on and on - He tells us to move on - so I'm moving on - it's between you and God.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
funny-pictures-rabbit-eats-thread.jpg

[MOD HAT ON]

Thread closed for staff review.
[MOD HAT OFF]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Buttermilk, please forgive me if I repeat what has already been said.. I have not read the entire thread, only the first few posts.
I think your question, the one that matters, is not "Who created God?" but whether He does in fact exist.
I can tell you that I know Him... but then, I can tell you that I know Santa.. you don't know me, and my word is not going to prove anything.
I can quote the Bible.... but if God doesn't exist, that is irrelevant, and the paradox of "God exists because He says He does" really doesn't work, does it?
I can tell you that you may as well believe, so you get into heaven if it's true.. but frankly, what sort of 'belief' is that?

So really... no-one can say anything to convince you...
I've been in your position, desperately trying to find evidence of what cannot be proved.. and it is a hard place!
Something that I have found to be very true is a quote from Philip K Dick:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away

I stopped believing in God for some time.. but somehow, however hard I tried, I couldn't get Him to go away... perhaps you have found the same.

When all is said and done, the only real conviction of truth comes from the 'still small voice'. We all need to learn to stop striving for a while, and just listen.
I am praying for you, sister.. I believe that you have heard that voice in the past, and that you will again.

Forgive me if that sounds patronising... I can't come up with a better wording.
You are, above all, a very courageous person.. many suppress their doubts because they are afraid to face them. I believe that those of us who face them , and walk through the struggles with the hard questions, will ultimately come to a stronger faith.
Because I know, from experience, that God doesn't give up on us.
And if we could understand it all... He wouldn't be God!

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
Aw man

*kicks rock*

This thread was an interesting read. Hope you're doing well these days, Buttermilk.

So much so that it needed to be closed and reviewed.

No worry, to the person/s who reported it/me, they don't need to worry I'm just waiting for my account to be banned so that I am not tempted to come back.

(not a dig at you Ravenscape :hug:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.