Who Created God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
God was not created. He always has existed. It's a difficult concept, but that's just how it is.

I'm afraid "that's just how it is" doesn't wash with me. No offence, but that is a pass the buck answer - it doesn't answer my question. My reply would be prove it.

I have come back to this site after a difficult few months, and am reassessing things, but I need blocks to build on - My question here is fundamental to that, and added to it prove that God exists in the first place - which should probably have been my question before that one.

As an aside please don't move this to another forum, I am not looking for a debate, I am looking for answers.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would scriptural proof suffice? (emphasis mine)

Genesis 21:33 Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called upon the name of the LORD, the Eternal God.

Exodus 3:15 God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, [a] the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is your refuge,
and underneath are the everlasting arms.
He will drive out your enemy before you,
saying, 'Destroy him!'

1 Chronicles 16:36 Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel,
from everlasting to everlasting.
Then all the people said "Amen" and "Praise the LORD."

Job 26:36 How great is God—beyond our understanding!
The number of his years is past finding out.

Psalms 90:1-4 1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations. 2 Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
3 You turn men back to dust,
saying, "Return to dust, O sons of men."
4 For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

Psalms 102:12 But you, O LORD, sit enthroned forever;
your renown endures through all generations.

28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Isaiah 40:28

Reactions: Radiata
Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
Would scriptural proof suffice?

Thanks for taking the time with this reply, but the references provided are only words from a book, they don't prove anything. I could lift any number of books and quote references along these lines - they don't physically prove anything.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
Gotta agree here. God is eternal. That indicates no beginning or end. Also, God made time and is outside time. One cannot hope to fully comprehend a being so far apart from everything else.

You've made a couple of claims here - please back them with evidence - thank you.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for taking the time with this reply, but the references provided are only words from a book, they don't prove anything. I could lift any number of books and quote references along these lines - they don't physically prove anything.

God's Word found in that "book" are what Christians trust in for truth. It's where proof can come from.

I know you don't want the thread moved to a different area, but if you aren't a Christian, then you might have better responses from the area that is for Questions by Non-Christians.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
God's Word found in that "book" are what Christians trust in for truth. It's where proof can come from.

I know that - in theory, but as I said above a book is a book is a book and is just words and can be easily quoted.

I know you don't want the thread moved to a different area, but if you aren't a Christian, then you might have better responses from the area that is for Questions by Non-Christians.

Thrown into the lion's den ;) no thanks.

I slipped back in the backdoor, I think I'll quietly slip back out again, no one can answer my questions, but thanks for trying :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
I did answer your question. I'm sorry you reject the answers given to you.

You took the time to respond and I appreciate that, but.....as I said my questions can't be answered......at least not with the proof I need, I realise that now, but thanks for trying.

Upvote 0

Radiata

You don’t need a reason to help people.
May 30, 2007
The Place We Knew...
✟12,250.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This has been asked countless times in the past. Luckly there are sources.

http://www.gotquestions.org/who-created-God.html

http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c039.html

http://www.doesgodexist.org/Phamplets/WhoCreatedGod/WhoCreatedGod.html

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/who_created_god.html

While you can definately prove that the bible is an accurate source of information, not all people will accept it. I have made the jump into believing everything in the bible from a historical, moral, and spiritual perspective. This came from testing the bible for historical accuracy. If you want that, then you need to check out Lee Strobal. He struggled with accepting the bible as fact and he went for years trying to figure it out. He is able to explain it with such simplicity that you can't go wrong.

There are a lot of youtube videos of him and I would suggest that you check them out.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd love to know exactly what kind of "proof" you're looking for, heh. Like, here, let me pull out my inventory of scientific evidence that, um, The Great Guido created God!

Seriously. It's a matter of faith. You either have it or you don't, but you're not going to find "proof". Plenty of evidence, but not "proof".

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

Natural1

New Christian
May 20, 2008
Ohio, USA
✟7,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You took the time to respond and I appreciate that, but.....as I said my questions can't be answered......at least not with the proof I need, I realise that now, but thanks for trying.

That is why it is called faith. If human beings with our science could prove God's existence, what would be the point of being a "believer"?

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist

These sites come second only to Answers in Genesis which is the biggest farce out - they are a close second.

While you can definately prove that the bible is an accurate source of information, not all people will accept it.
Yeah the world was created in six days [/end sarcasm]

I have made the jump into believing everything in the bible from a historical, moral, and spiritual perspective. This came from testing the bible for historical accuracy.
So give me historical evidence that the world was created in six days.

If you want that, then you need to check out Lee Strobal. He struggled with accepting the bible as fact and he went for years trying to figure it out. He is able to explain it with such simplicity that you can't go wrong.

There are a lot of youtube videos of him and I would suggest that you check them out.
Blind faith is worse than no faith - I think I'll pass on that one thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
I'd love to know exactly what kind of "proof" you're looking for, heh. Like, here, let me pull out my inventory of scientific evidence that, um, The Great Guido created God!
Basically yes.

Seriously. It's a matter of faith. You either have it or you don't,
And I quite obviously don't

but you're not going to find "proof". Plenty of evidence, but not "proof".

Evidence such as?

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Evidence such as?

Well, what I find most compelling is that the people who knew Jesus personally, who met him, were friends with him, talked to him, spent years with him, believed in him and the things he said so much that they were willing to die rather than stop telling people about him. They died horrible deaths - beheading, upside down crucifixion, stoning - but they were willing to die rather than deny who Jesus was and the things he said.

These are the same men who reference Old Testament scripture where God says he is eternal. It's all over the psalms and proverbs. Jesus references Old Testament scripture where God says he is eternal. These men knew and believed Jesus.

Peter tells us that God's word is eternal in 1 Peter 1:23-25. John tells us God is eternal in John 1:1-4. Paul says it all over the place -- and he died a horrible death rather than deny it too -- but I'm not referencing him in anticipation of you saying he never met Jesus (even though he did, I know it's a point of debate so not even going to get into it).

There are many places throughout the New Testament where there is evidence of God being eternal. You've already said you don't believe the Bible, but a lot of people who were there to witness Jesus and his teachings died for what the Bible says. It's not proof that the Bible is true, or that the things the Bible says are true, but it's compelling evidence.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, what I find most compelling is that the people who knew Jesus personally, who met him, were friends with him, talked to him, spent years with him, believed in him and the things he said so much that they were willing to die rather than stop telling people about him. They died horrible deaths - beheading, upside down crucifixion, stoning - but they were willing to die rather than deny who Jesus was and the things he said.

These are the same men who reference Old Testament scripture where God says he is eternal. It's all over the psalms and proverbs. Jesus references Old Testament scripture where God says he is eternal. These men knew and believed Jesus.

Peter tells us that God's word is eternal in 1 Peter 1:23-25. John tells us God is eternal in John 1:1-4. Paul says it all over the place -- and he died a horrible death rather than deny it too -- but I'm not referencing him in anticipation of you saying he never met Jesus (even though he did, I know it's a point of debate so not even going to get into it).

There are many places throughout the New Testament where there is evidence of God being eternal. You've already said you don't believe the Bible, but a lot of people who were there to witness Jesus and his teachings died for what the Bible says. It's not proof that the Bible is true, or that the things the Bible says are true, but it's compelling evidence.

It's not proof or evidence, it is just someone's writings. It is like me saying that "Bridget Jones' Diary" is proof that she existed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.