Who Actually Has Been Or Is In the Military(US Military)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OreGal said:
former Training and Ops NCO in the Army. My husband currently serves as a Sergeant Major in the USAR. We credit our eight year marriage to the fact that when I wasn't deployed, he was and vice versa. Now, I stay home with our kiddos but he still deploys. Oh, and we were both Special Ops.
I knew there was something I liked about you. Even though I'm career Air Force I can still get along with ground pounders. After all if it weren't for the Army and Marines the Air Force would have never come to be.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mϋzikdϋde said:
I knew there was something I liked about you. Even though I'm career Air Force I can still get along with ground pounders. After all if it weren't for the Army and Marines the Air Force would have never come to be.
Yes, I may be out but I am still 'pounding the ground' chasing after my 15 month old and six year old.

Kudos to you on your military service. I attended DLI with some Air Force folks and they were good people. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

WarSong

Remember Hiroshima? REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Mϋzikdϋde said:

The Marines? I thought we were here because of the Army.

Upvote 0

daidhaid

walkin' slack
Dec 29, 2003
easily defended high ground
✟881.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
rainyday said:
Semper Fi ... cpl! LOL ... pie hole, I've forgotten about that one.

Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman, 16 year vet

HMC/FMF

Uh maybe you missed the drama but as I heard it, the tough talking "Marine" you're quoting, was really a wannabe.
He got his pie hole bounced out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Truly Blessed

Jul 5, 2004
✟15,212.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
WarSong said:
vatuck said:
I'm only an Army wife, but I wanted to take a minute and thank you for your service to our country. You ARE appreciated very much! God bless all of you!
JUST a wife? ;)

Spouses are above and beyond civilians :)
Without my Wife I would have never made it till my retirement.
Spouses are above and beyond period - to include the service member alot of the time.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Truly Blessed

Jul 5, 2004
✟15,212.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
inquisitor_11 said:
Just a question... how can manipulating people in order to make them kill be a rewarding job?
I was not manipulated - I guess everybody could just get out of the service and then when some country like Japan attacks the U.S. you will just lose all your rights and freedom.

But then again did I really need to reply to this Post.:scratch:

Can you subtract from a person's Rep? I sure would like to.

Upvote 0

rainyday

God is my umbrella
May 4, 2004
Home town - Pittsburgh PA
✟8,417.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
inquisitor_11 said:
Just a question... how can manipulating people in order to make them kill be a rewarding job?
Just an answer then ... Why don't you ask Bill Gates, Lee Iacocca, Donald Trump and all the other CEOs who got were they were by manipulating!

:eek: Obviously you've never been military as you just expressed, without a question of a doubt, the most unintelligent remark EVER about military service. Big business manipulates 'kiddo' ... we follow orders. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Now wipe your butt properly, change your skid-marked drawers and step into the real world. Don't forget to take off those biased glasses so you can see things as they are without pre-determined uneducated attitudes! Wise up before it's too late!

:sigh: ... can you imagine if this one made it through boot camp? Whoa! Some senior enlisted would be thanking some parents with such colorful adjetives!

Reactions: Truly Blessed
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Truly Blessed

Jul 5, 2004
✟15,212.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
rainyday said:
inquisitor_11 said:
Just a question... how can manipulating people in order to make them kill be a rewarding job?!
Just an answer then ... !
rainyday, I sure did like your response and attitude toward this "question".
I feel the same way.:thumbsup:

Thank goodness the United States Military defends this country so that left wing (wrong wing) liberals have the right to say the military is no good and are just a bunch of murderers.

Upvote 0

rainyday

God is my umbrella
May 4, 2004
✟8,417.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Truly Blessed said:
rainyday, I sure did like your response and attitude toward this "question".
I feel the same way.:thumbsup:

Thank goodness the United States Military defends this country so that left wing (wrong wing) liberals have the right to say the military is no good and are just a bunch of murderers.
EXACTLY!! And they'll never understand that many of us sacrificed not just our lives, but our time being stationed away from families on ships, or at isolated duty stations while they were sick and/or dying, bearing our children, or just needed us there most during trying times. Yes, most of us now all enlisted, but that doesn't exclude the fact that there is MUCH sacrifice that comes with this career. The same is true of your clergy (Ministers, Priests, etc.). They 'CHOOSE' to enter that vocation knowing full well that there is much sacrifice that goes with it. Do you not appreciate it any less just because they knew? I think it speaks volumns for the personality that chooses it and sticks with it.

I may have taken off the uniform after 16 years of service ... but the Chief I was is still staring out of these eyeballs of mine and shakes her head at what she sees while working within the civilian sector now, as well as the younger generation acting like everything is 'owed' to them without earning it (respect included). I hear people complaining about their jobs they have. First off, THEY HAVE A JOB which brings in their pay and puts food on their family's table! All I can think is "JUST SHUT UP AND DO YOUR JOB!" 99.9% of the time their complaining attitudes have ZERO validity about unjust working ethics ... it's simply whinning for the sake of 'boo-hooing' about something that wasn't 'given' to them. This Chief would NEVER have tolerated some of what I hear daily and would have been prone to using 'colorful' adjetives to shut most of it down in her work space I fear! But I'm trying to be tame.

You know, once military ... always military, no matter what branch of service we served in! I may have been Navy, but as a Fleet Marine Force Corpsman, MUCH of my time was spent in cammies with the jarheads ;) (Marines), out in the field yelling at them to change their socks or drink their darned water during force marches, and to tell me when they were hurt so I could help them ... not admit them when they were too far gone!

So, you see ... I may still have a residual 'verbal' effect lingering when I type on these boards. I'm working on 'fixing' that ... :sorry: :blush: :holy:

Upvote 0

Truly Blessed

Jul 5, 2004
✟15,212.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Wish I could rep you again RD. Rock on RD.
When I was getting ready to retire I told some E-2 to do something and the E-2 said no (which is happening alot these days). I wished I was in the Republic of Korea Army at that time and did what a ROK CSM (Command Sergents Major) did to his private. He took the butt of his rifle and made a direct deposit in the side of the private's face. I dont think he had that problem again.

Upvote 0

rainyday

God is my umbrella
May 4, 2004
✟8,417.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
During the first gulf war, they took 50% of Lejeune's hospital staff to augment the ships, Marine units, field hospitals and hospital ships and filled us up with the weekend warriors.

:sigh: I was stuck in the rear with that gear. I had to reprimmand (nicely too for a change), one E2 on barracks watch for leaving his post. I gave him the benefit of the doubt having been a reservist and instructed him on the importance of being responsible on his watch. I wanted him to learn and grow now that he was in an active duty status. Well, the next morning while reviewing MY barracks log book I read how I had 'disrespected' him the night before. Ha ha ha ... and he thought he had been disrespected that night? He had a new ... um ... 'lower opening' later that morning and a brighter perspective on how to be ACTIVE duty and responsible for writing in legal government documents.

Sigh ... that was the beginning of the end for me ... I walked away disgusted from my retirement to keep my sanity intact ... I should've stuck out the last enlistment but at that time I was so burnt out with the 'society expectations' walking in the doors of my Navy and putting on the uniform anymore. I felt as a Chief I had my hands tied behind my back.

Now I just wish I had that retirement pay. :help:

Upvote 0

daidhaid

walkin' slack
Dec 29, 2003
easily defended high ground
✟881.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
While we all pat ourselves on the back for our various services it is also true that the training one recieves for combat does in fact cause someone to embrace the mayhem you will be expected to perform.
Besides the obvious and core discipline training to get everyone in step and obeying commands without pause, there were other forms of indoctrination used.
I well remember shouting "kill kill kill" and other wholesome slogans during the more explicit phases of combat training.
Outside our barracks were larger than life depictions of US soldiers doing things like pulling the heads off of Vietnamese.
One by my barracks door showed an NCO firing his 16 with one hand while holding a vietnamese up to his mouth in the other and biting into his head.
Also there were many classes and lectures planned and impromptu that were intended to put us in a frame of mind to kill.
That was after all our real job, and I truly belive the trainers wanted us to survive combat.
We were indoctrinated with every depiction of our enemy as a heartless souless faceless subhuman thing to be killed.
To be fair they also said a few good things about the Vietnamese we were supposed to be saving, those words don't stand out nearly as dramatically as the rest..

Basicaly if you are going to physically confront and kill your enemy you need to be motivated to do so.
When the reasons for killing are not sufficiently obvious then the military uses demonization of the enemy to strip away the human characteristics that might make killing them problematic at some point..
This is actually manipulation. Without it many soldiers would falter.
There is a cadence used in bayonet drill, "there are only two types of bayonet fighters" when the Sgt shouted that, the respnse was shouted back was "the quick and the dead".
Until the soldier is sufficiently re-motivated to do the job he is almost useless to the military for combat.
You call it training, Inquisitor has called it manipulation.
It is both, and unfortunately it is a indispinsable facet of training a GI for physical combat.

Haven't any of you ever noticed the changes seen in a young civillian when he comes back from a combat arms AIT?
For those trained in peacetime the emphasis on this will be minimal but for those who are trained for a particular enemy they may well be exposed to overt manipulation to prepare them, and it will probably save some of their lives.

No one wants to say I was manipulated and I'm proud of it. I sure don't make a practice of doing so.
However it is disingenious when the subject comes up to get on a high horse and say it doesn't happen.
Inquisitors words were perhaps blunt and lacking nuance but essentially he spoke truthfully, especially or even specifically in regards to combat soldiers...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.