Who Actually Has Been Or Is In the Military(US Military)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daidhaid

walkin' slack
Dec 29, 2003
easily defended high ground
✟881.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Truly Blessed said:
Wish I could rep you again RD. Rock on RD.
When I was getting ready to retire I told some E-2 to do something and the E-2 said no (which is happening alot these days). I wished I was in the Republic of Korea Army at that time and did what a ROK CSM (Command Sergents Major) did to his private. He took the butt of his rifle and made a direct deposit in the side of the private's face. I dont think he had that problem again.

Very true I used to see ROK NCO's knock the **** out of enlisted personel. They did it without anger as matter of factly as I can open a beer.
Corporal punishment is instant and commonplace.
It must have some positive effects since the ROK soldier is an amazing grunt. Very possibly, in some situations, that type of hardcore discipline may saves lives.
In the US Army ya gotta be careful if you get caught hittin' an EM your toast.
It probably still happens, but at great risk to the NCO.
Also for it to have any good and lasting effect the guy still has to respect you as a leader afterwards.

Upvote 0

inquisitor_11

Viva la revolucion!
Feb 26, 2004
Caves Beach
✟15,963.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but my point was that I struggle to understand how a christian can find Psyops a rewarding job. I can perfectly understand a christian wanting to be a soldier- I have spent time as both.

But Psyops? As far as I understand, the whole point of psyops is to mess with minds to make them do what you want, helping soldiers overcome those nasty morals that get in the way. I understand the importance of that for the secular world, but for christians to find it "rewarding".... it makes me wonder.

But then again, "Do not judge, for with the measure you use it will be measured against you".

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You ought to learn about what Psychological Operations is really about. I got to save lives and found it to a very rewarding MOS. I am guessing by your post that you have no idea what 37F's really do. You might want to find out. You'd be pleasantly surprised.

inquisitor_11 said:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but my point was that I struggle to understand how a christian can find Psyops a rewarding job. I can perfectly understand a christian wanting to be a soldier- I have spent time as both.

But Psyops? As far as I understand, the whole point of psyops is to mess with minds to make them do what you want, helping soldiers overcome those nasty morals that get in the way. I understand the importance of that for the secular world, but for christians to find it "rewarding".... it makes me wonder.

But then again, "Do not judge, for with the measure you use it will be measured against you".

Upvote 0

daidhaid

walkin' slack
Dec 29, 2003
easily defended high ground
✟881.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
inquisitor_11 said:

this is somewhat reminiscent of the "Isn't war evil" thread. Heh heh heh.

Some military jobs are more difficult to rationalize within the confines of wwjd.
Maybe psyops is one of those, I had thought of it as mostly a remf specialty but maybe it's not.
The psyops stuff I've run into was mostly about, encouraging the enemy to surrender or quit fighting. They are also into demoralizing scaring or confusing the enemy. Loud obnoxious music, radio, safe conducts, and pamphlets, that sort of thing. Oh and possibly stripping prisoners for degrading photos.
I didn't think they were manipulating friendlies to overcome moral objections.
Could be they do that too.
The chaplains can use the competition...

(just goofing about the Chaplains ARCHAngl...)

Upvote 0

inquisitor_11

Viva la revolucion!
Feb 26, 2004
Caves Beach
✟15,963.00
Faith
Christian
I was suppose I was talking more about the role of Psyops within your own army than using it against "the enemy".

Things like the use of heavy metal to psych up troops before and during (there are documentated cases of this coming out of Iraq) battle, the dehuminising of the enemy, the high selective (and quite possible deceitful) dissemination of information down the chain of command etc.... mostly the sort of things that Daidhaid has brought up from his own experiences in Vietnam.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I spent eight years in a PSYOP Role and my husband has been in his entire career. I cannot even tell you how ridiculous this is but I can tell that nothing I say will convince you otherwise. So, I am 'signing off' on this thread.

Anyhow, for anybody else thinking about entering the military, I can tell you being a 37F or 38A are the most rewarding (in my experience) jobs in the military.

inquisitor_11 said:
I was suppose I was talking more about the role of Psyops within your own army than using it against "the enemy".

Things like the use of heavy metal to psych up troops before and during (there are documentated cases of this coming out of Iraq) battle, the dehuminising of the enemy, the high selective (and quite possible deceitful) dissemination of information down the chain of command etc.... mostly the sort of things that Daidhaid has brought up from his own experiences in Vietnam.

Upvote 0

walkin2e

Sep 28, 2004
Blackshear, Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟17,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Greetings all!!! Thank you all you active duty service members. I pray for you each day.

I was in the US Army, active duty Nov 71 - Oct 87, and Reserves 87- 93.

I was an E1-E6, W1-W3, and 02-03.....I was in the Adjutant General Corps, and worked in personnel offices..My fondest memories is making friends with service members like you....Once a soldier, always a soldier...

I have been serving God for the past 17 plus years...It seems to me like service members and veterans make good soldiers in God's Army...we are used to taking orders!

Be blessed all.......

Irvin L. Rozier, Captain (Ret) US Army

Upvote 0

Peculiarone

who can find a virtuous woman
Oct 8, 2004
NY, USA
✟16,101.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was in the military for approximately 3 years before I was medically discharged. Served from E-1 to E-4 then to E-4 Corporal. US ARMY. I was proud to serve and receive the benefits but not the artermath. I need more benefits.

All veterans and currently serving, we salute you.

Shalom...the peculiarone, :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
Lawton Oklahoma, Officer Career Course
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I was in the Third Infantry Division of the Army for five years, going to school now. Served in Kuwait during Operation Enduring Freedom and all over Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Dispite what the propaganda artist might tell you Im not bitter or anything. And I voted for President Bush two weeks ago.

Reactions: SnowDove
Upvote 0

Shalia

Veteran
Sep 7, 2004
Utah
✟9,882.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Navy Electronics Technician (ET3/E-4), from 2000-2002. Got out because of a hardship discharge, son diagnosed autistic and husband diagnosed w/ muscular dystrophy. *sigh* And then 3 months after getting out I was diagnosed bipolar, so I would have been thrown out anyways.

I miss it sometimes.

Upvote 0

Shalia

Veteran
Sep 7, 2004
Utah
✟9,882.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
SoupySayles said:
My opinion is the real troops and veterans don't want their service to be an issue and just want to discuss things like everyone else, not toot their own horn. I'll offer my service up, but its rather weak to use it as leverage in a discussion. If its military related, then its cool, otherwise I don't really bring it up. I wish I could say I was a Ranger or SEAL or Green Beret, alas, my experience with special ops only lasted about 3 weeks. Went to SFAS and didn't get selected, good thing too because that stuff looks alot cooler on the recruiting posters than it is in reality lol. But hey, Field Artillery was pretty cool just not very glamourous :) Pretty is as pretty does.
See, and there's one place I'm different from you. I tell people I'm a Navy vet all the time. Why?

Because people don't expect it from women. It's 2004, and I *still* get double takes when I'm wearing a Navy sweatshirt and someone asks who it belonged to and I say "me". I *still* get dirty looks going into the VA hospital. People don't often believe a 24 <well, 25 in 2 days> year old woman is a vet, they automatically assume it would be the guy. Heck, that Golden Corral free dinner buffet thing they do every veterans day, I had to tell the cashier several times last year that it was *me* that was military, not my husband.

So darn skippy I tell people. I'm proud to have been in the military, and if I can help even one person wake up, realize it's 2004 and women are in the military to stay, and not do a double take when a woman says she's active duty or a vet, I'm gonna do it.

Yes, siree, I tell people about being active duty. <However, won't use as leverage in a discussion. Just proud at the fact I accomplished it.> :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shalia

Veteran
Sep 7, 2004
Utah
✟9,882.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
daidhaid said:
No one has to prove all that much, and your right most don't want their service to be the issue.
It is the wanabe's service that is the question.
I'm not suggesting we start measuring ourselves against each other.
But if a liar does claim something like being a vet or being in a combat zone, and uses that to add to his credibility, like the latest faker did, it would be good to out him or shut him up.
Revealing the documents that show active duty dates, overseas service and dates, and MOS, along with current info would nip the problem at the bud.
The verifying person reveals nothing just verifies truth yes or no.
maybe the forum would make it a sticky and the verification duty could rotate.
I'm probably making this to complicated I'm just P/O'd about it.
Oh, goody. Now we have to post our DD-214's to post here? Maybe I'll just stick w/ the other military forum I've been a member of. Yeah, we've had our share of wannabes, but they aren't hard to flush out, and they aren't worth the time or effort.

Really, what would you do to make people "prove" it anyways? I'm not posting a DD-214 on here, people who are still active might not even be able to post their command due to OPSEC reasons depending on where they are.

All we can do is take people at their word until/unless they are proven wrong. Assuming people are liars doesn't seem very Christian to me, either.

Shalia

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.