Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
However, what is also a fact is that we don't have enough servicemembers in the military and we do not have enough modern ships, planes, tanks, armored equipment, ammunition, etc., to adequately defend our Allies or American interests around the world.

That is not a fact. That is an opinion.

Apparently the Heritage Foundation thinks we need to fight all the enemies at once. (I'm almost shocked they noticed Moscow was an adversary.)
And that doing so requires as many personnel as we had during the cold war. I know China has a big military and are Scary, but they've never launched an aggressive war. The closest they've gotten to that was supporting the North Koreans. The disparity in our naval forces means nobody else has a chance of launching anything across an ocean.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That is not a fact. That is an opinion.

And that doing so requires as many personnel as we had during the cold war. I know China has a big military and are Scary, but they've never launched an aggressive war. The closest they've gotten to that was supporting the North Koreans. The disparity in our naval forces means nobody else has a chance of launching anything across an ocean.
Which is exactly why, if we decide we must have a war with China to make up for our failure in global economic competition, that Russia would make a better ally than Western Europe. Russia has a land border with China.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Which is exactly why, if we decide we must have a war with China to make up for our failure in global economic competition, that Russia would make a better ally than Western Europe. Russia has a land border with China.

What?

Russia is already a weak ally of China. It hasn't been an ally of any "western" nation in 80 years (end of WW 2).

Were also not looking for a war with China. War with China will be a result of their potential invasion of Taiwan or another US ally.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What?

Russia is already a weak ally of China. It hasn't been an ally of any "western" nation in 80 years (end of WW 2).
I think that's only because it hasn't had a better offer.
Were also not looking for a war with China. War with China will be a result of their potential invasion of Taiwan or another US ally.
You're not looking and I'm certainly not looking, I'll give you that.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Let me be more explicit. The government of the United States is not looking for war with China.
They are certainly considering the possibility that war might break out.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Our government isn’t serious about defending the United States and its interests. In fact, it has fallen woefully short in carrying out this sacred obligation. I know this sounds harsh, but as we’ll see, the government’s own numbers prove the point.

That our military is weak is not an indictment of the men and women who have volunteered to serve. It is an indictment of a system largely defined by the government and those elected to high office.
That includes senior military officers whose primary obligation should be to ensure that our men and women have what they need to win in war—which is, after all, the primary purpose of our military.
Yes, many people will say the purpose of a strong military is to deter war, but deterrence derives from the belief of the enemy that they would be defeated in battle. So if our military is at great risk of not being able to win … well, it doesn’t have much deterrent value.

Our potential enemies can see this; the American public, not so much.
At present, the U.S. military is roughly half the size it needs to be. Moreover, most of its primary equipment (planes, ships, tanks, etc.) is 30 to 40 years old. Soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and guardsmen are training only a fraction of what they should to be competent in battle.

Yet senior leaders in the Pentagon, White House spokespersons, and even members of Congress who have access to the facts (and should know better) continue to say that we have the best military in the world, as if saying so makes it so. It does not.
Let’s look at the numbers, using references from near the end of the Cold War, when the U.S. last confronted a major competitor on a global stage. Recall that until the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, the U.S. maintained forces able to compete with the Soviets in many regions at once, primarily in Europe (in land and air) but also across the seas where naval power was essential.

Back then, Washington had to focus only on one capital and the ambitions of one authoritarian regime. Regardless of where military actions occurred, the signals reverberated to Moscow.
Today, the U.S. must account for regimes in Moscow, Beijing, Tehran, and Pyongyang, and a host of smaller powers and terrorist regimes that challenge U.S. interests. They have different objectives and possess different cultures, values, and networks.
What are you talking about?

#CountryMilitary SpendingShare of GDP
1United States of America877 billion3.5%
2People's Republic of China292 billion1.6%
3Russia86 billion4.1%
4India81 billion2.4%
5Saudi Arabia75 billion7.4%
6United Kingdom68 billion2.2%
7Germany56 billion1.4%
8France54 billion1.9%
9South Korea46 billion2.7%
10Japan46 billion1.1%

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are you talking about?

#CountryMilitary SpendingShare of GDP
1United States of America877 billion3.5%
2People's Republic of China292 billion1.6%
3Russia86 billion4.1%
4India81 billion2.4%
5Saudi Arabia75 billion7.4%
6United Kingdom68 billion2.2%
7Germany56 billion1.4%
8France54 billion1.9%
9South Korea46 billion2.7%
10Japan46 billion1.1%

Despite the massive spending by the Pentagon, we are still woefully short of the Pentagon's goals for numbers of servicemembers. Also, we do not have enough modern fighter aircraft, ships, armored attack vehicles, and also modern munitions.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I don't think this is the kind of stuff we should actually talk about. We can't have open and honest conversations without risking national security.

I personally don't like that people like Carlson have no issues going overseas talking about American military preparedness because talking about our weaknesses to our enemies only emboldens them, and they are plenty emboldened already with our now systemic weakness in American political leadership.

To me, I think it should be said we need to beef up our ability and as Americans we should support that, but little more than that needs said publicly.

That's just my opinion on it though. I can't help cringing every time I see articles like this.
Nothing we can talk about here can be of risk to national security...we can't talk about anything that isn't public knowledge.

What I would point to is not all the totals of personnel and equipment, but its readiness to deploy and operate. Right now, for instance, the US Air Force is capable of launching only 40% of its aircraft and the US Navy is capable of launching only 20% of its aircraft. We're seriously lagging in logistics, even though experienced war planners know that wars are won by logistics. Ammunition supplies are low, and ammunition resupply is weak.

But Congress doesn't like to spend money on logistics...that's not a political hay maker the way new weapons systems are.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Laeomis

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2024
Salt Lake City
✟2,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As more people and generations lose faith, the army will decrease. The Bible taught that all men aged 20 years old should join the army (New International Version, Numbers 1:1-5), except for the members of the priesthood (Numbers 1:47-53). Even though we live in the New Testament, the Old Testament still used to encourage this type of fitness. Jesus Christ, however, said not to worry because the end has to happen anyway:

(Matthew 24:4-8)

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They don't call Jesus Prince of Peace because he wants mandatory conscription of 20 year olds. There are many ways to stay fit and learn discipline outside of the military.
God weeps at the thousands of billions spent on war while people suffer.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What unmitigated, chimeric pap that article is. It's just bonkers.

For instance, if the US were to double its active personnel, the armed forces would grow to roughly 2.6 to 2.7 million active servicemen.

To put that into context, the last time the US defense force was that large was during the late 1960s. When there was still a draft. And the US was actively fighting a war in Vietnam. And the military budget was between 8% and 9% of GDP (against roughly 3.0% currently).

The US defence force of the 2020s isn't structured like the defense force of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. It's not the force that was intended to fight simultaneous land wars in Northwestern Europe and North Asia. Nor is it intended to be. Times, as they say, have changed. And so have strategic priorities and strategic capabilities.

For a National Defense editor, I'd argue that Mr Wood appears to require some serious reading on US geopolitical strategy, force projection and the relative combat capabilities of peer and near peer nations. That, or he's making a lot of stupid mouth noises to score political points. But, the Heritage Foundation would NEVER stoop that low. It is known.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,333.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Considering that the USA has enemies all over the world, and considering that a lot of those enemies have allied themselves with each other, then it only makes sense for the US military to be able to defend our nation against them all at once. In other words, the military should be prepared for a worst-case scenario.
The USA is in NATO. If it will not leave or destroy the organization, then the NATO nations, from Canada, to almost whole Europe, to Turkey, have the obligation to help. Its 31 highly developed countries together.

However, the NATO obligation will be activated only when your territories will be attacked. Its not an obligation to help you with some kind of the world ruling or similar.

And, of course, if you will make more friends and allies than that, those will help you too. Is this not a better way to go than to create enemies everywhere and then be against all?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Laeomis

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2024
Salt Lake City
✟2,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They don't call Jesus Prince of Peace because he wants mandatory conscription of 20 year olds. There are many ways to stay fit and learn discipline outside of the military.
God weeps at the thousands of billions spent on war while people suffer.
There's the priesthood, and there's the military. Jesus has the power to turn ordinary men into priests (Revelation 1:6). He says he has not come to bring peace to the world, but to bring a sword:

(Matthew 10:34-39)

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

and
(Luke 12:49-53)
49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Our government isn’t serious about defending the United States and its interests. In fact, it has fallen woefully short in carrying out this sacred obligation. I know this sounds harsh, but as we’ll see, the government’s own numbers prove the point.

That our military is weak is not an indictment of the men and women who have volunteered to serve. It is an indictment of a system largely defined by the government and those elected to high office.
That includes senior military officers whose primary obligation should be to ensure that our men and women have what they need to win in war—which is, after all, the primary purpose of our military.
Yes, many people will say the purpose of a strong military is to deter war, but deterrence derives from the belief of the enemy that they would be defeated in battle. So if our military is at great risk of not being able to win … well, it doesn’t have much deterrent value.

Our potential enemies can see this; the American public, not so much.
At present, the U.S. military is roughly half the size it needs to be. Moreover, most of its primary equipment (planes, ships, tanks, etc.) is 30 to 40 years old. Soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and guardsmen are training only a fraction of what they should to be competent in battle.

Yet senior leaders in the Pentagon, White House spokespersons, and even members of Congress who have access to the facts (and should know better) continue to say that we have the best military in the world, as if saying so makes it so. It does not.
Let’s look at the numbers, using references from near the end of the Cold War, when the U.S. last confronted a major competitor on a global stage. Recall that until the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, the U.S. maintained forces able to compete with the Soviets in many regions at once, primarily in Europe (in land and air) but also across the seas where naval power was essential.

Back then, Washington had to focus only on one capital and the ambitions of one authoritarian regime. Regardless of where military actions occurred, the signals reverberated to Moscow.
Today, the U.S. must account for regimes in Moscow, Beijing, Tehran, and Pyongyang, and a host of smaller powers and terrorist regimes that challenge U.S. interests. They have different objectives and possess different cultures, values, and networks.
Blame the government? How about the difficulty finding recruits? Most young adults are too obese, too drug addicted, too mentally unstable, too narcissistic or too disinterested to serve in the military. This is a problem for Western nations generally. Australia is struggling to attract servicemen. Personally, I'd bring back national service. I reckon it would solve a raft of social problems, but it won't happen in this age.

The only bright spot in this is that China and Russia are not much better off. North Korea's soldiers barely survive on the food rations they receive. I've seen stick insects with more muscle. America relies on the nuclear big stick. As do Russia, China and increasingly, North Korea.

The problems of the West begin in the spiritual realm. As the once "Christian" nations increasingly turn away from God, so they become weaker and weaker.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interestingly, some Democratic candidates have called for national service--not necessarily military--to be rewarded by educational benefits.
Something like Americorps.
I don't cherry pick the Bible looking for a warlike Jesus.
The early Christian Martyrs were not armed and dangerous...much more like the followers of Ghandi, MLK, and Mandela.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If you are defending the Gospel of Christ no arms are needed. If instead you are defending 'Western Christian Culture' you had better be well heeled, because not even all Christians will be on your side.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Blame the government? How about the difficulty finding recruits? Most young adults are too obese, too drug addicted, too mentally unstable, too narcissistic or too disinterested to serve in the military. This is a problem for Western nations generally. Australia is struggling to attract servicemen. Personally, I'd bring back national service. I reckon it would solve a raft of social problems, but it won't happen in this age.
This is not untrue. I don't know what the numbers look like in Australia, but in the US a universal national service would not work...the numbers are too great. Two years of universal national service would increase the size of the US government by 8,000,000 to 10,000,000 people.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, some Democratic candidates have called for national service--not necessarily military--to be rewarded by educational benefits.
Something like Americorps.
I don't cherry pick the Bible looking for a warlike Jesus.
The early Christian Martyrs were not armed and dangerous...much more like the followers of Ghandi, MLK, and Mandela.
The earthly success of Ghandi, MLK, and Mandela resulted from the earthly governments they contended with having already been "tainted" by a classically liberal Christian worldview. If any of those men had come up against the Third Reich or the USSR, they would be brief footnotes in a brutal history.

Upvote 0