Which Catholic Doctrine do you have the biggest issue with?

• The Eucharist

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • The Papacy

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • The Priesthood

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sacred Tradition

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • The Veneration of Mary and the Saint

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • The Four Marian Dogmas

• The Rejection of Sola Scriptura

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • The Rejection of Sola Fide

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Purgatory

• The Seven Sacraments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mine isn't in the list - infallibility.
I thought of that, too, but "The Papacy" seemed the closest to it since the Papacy carries with it the doctrine of Papal Infallibility which, in turn, is alleged to be an aspect of the RCC's belief that the denomination is itself infallible.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if Catholic dogma on social morality might not bother more people in general than all of the above? Abortion, marriage, contraception, are what the world most hates about Catholicism.

That familiar proposition always strikes me as a form of self-flattery.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That familiar proposition always strikes me as a form of self-flattery.
I don't believe it to be that at all.
I don't feel myself flattered in any way. I have never considered myself all that pretty in the first place.
I fully recognize that many non-Catholic Christians who take their faith seriously have problems with Catholic understandings. Questions of theology are what concern such people the most, and they make up a large sector of Christian Forums too.
But I think that opposition of the modern world as a whole to Catholic Church centres more on the chasm that exists between traditional CHRISTIAN morality and the beliefs that the modern western world have on the subject.
Corrupt practices are certainly front and foremost in criticism of the Catholic Church too.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe it to be that at all.
I don't feel myself flattered in any way. I have never considered myself all that pretty in the first place...But I think that opposition of the modern world as a whole to Catholic Church centres more on the chasm that exists between traditional CHRISTIAN morality and the beliefs that the modern western world have on the subject.
Corrupt practices are certainly front and foremost in criticism of the Catholic Church too.
And they are challenges to "traditional CHRISTIAN morality," not to CATHOLIC morality.

However, it is common for Catholics to phrase the matter the way you did, as though traditional morality is the concern and possession of the Catholic church in particular and that this, in turn, makes her the special target of the forces of secularism and non-Catholics alike.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if Catholic dogma on social morality might not bother more people in general than all of the above? Abortion, marriage, contraception, are what the world most hates about Catholicism.
That world includes many of a secular bent, as well as Protestants and more than a few Catholics too.

The Bible is against abortion or the murder of the innocent. The Bible is in support of marriage, but if one can refrain in marrying it is better to be single (if they are able to do so). However, to say that certain people who are able to marry but they cannot marry is not biblical. For example: Saying that a priest cannot marry is not really in the Bible. Try reading Timothy some time. As for contraception: I know the Catholic church is against sex without having a baby, but there is nothing in the Bible that condemns a Christian couple in not choosing to have a child while also partaking of sex. There is no command in the New Testament that is given for us on this one. It is merely a complete fabrication by the Catholic church. It really does not upset me personally if they push this untruth. I do not see a lot of harm done by it. But I know God is probably a little upset by it because Jesus was pretty upset with the traditions of men. But if I had a problem with the RCC, it is not really any of those things by a long shot. What is really freaky is the bowing down to the statues, praying to dead people, transubstantiation in the Eucharist ceremony, the pagan fish hats, the pagan sun symbols, the upside crosses (from the occult), confessing sins to a priest, repetitious prayer, the holy looking men seeking attention, the extreme wealth and assets of the RCC, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Usually an "x" in the occult world symbolizes cross bones from a skull and cross bones symbol or picture.
Searching for the above I came across this:

saint-munditia.jpg
skull1.jpg

@JesusLovesOurLady perhaps add creepy human remains relics to the poll .

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That world includes many of a secular bent, as well as Protestants and more than a few Catholics too.
Well you and I are lashed at the hip in the social morality threads. You will find Evangelicals support the moral issues you list above even contraception and hating divorce.

I attend a very young Evangelical church and families fill a long pew. Much like the Irish Catholic families in Catholic mass back in the day. We have more kiddos in the Sunday school classes and for the wee ones in the nursery during services. Both pastors have 6 kids. Well some are off to college.

Staunchly pro life

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Searching for the above I came across this:

View attachment 225095 View attachment 225096

@JesusLovesOurLady perhaps add creepy human remains relics to the poll .

That is freaky. Here is some more freakiness.

skull-worship-in-the-catholic-church.jpg

If that doesn't make you want to run in the other direction, then I don't know what will.

"And now they sin more and more, and have made them molten images of their silver, and idols according to their own understanding, all of it the work of the craftsmen: they say of them, Let the men that sacrifice kiss the calves." (Hosea 13:2).

Apparently the kissing of idols still continues.

maxresdefault.jpg

All seeing eye of Horus (from ancient Egypt) and the Masonry symbol in St. Paul's Cathedral.

55dbf85ccc5da2f2d41e895c6fba13c6.jpg

Sun god symbol:
maltese-cross-sun-god.jpg

Hat of Dagon (the fish god):
mitre-dagon-pope-francis-i.jpg

I mean, how many bread crumbs or clues does it take to figure out what's really going on here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad I decided not to pay too much attention to this thread, I was just interested in the statistics. I'll just take the statistics, Satan can have the blasphemous attacks in the One True Church, they are his works after all.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad I decided not to pay too much attention to this thread, I was just interested in the statistics. I'll just take the statistics, Satan can have the blasphemous attacks in the One True Church, they are his works after all.
Can you add relics to the poll so I can vote.

Edit: also there is an option where posters can choose multiple options . That would be helpful.

Thank you.

Reactions: NW82
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would gladly debate this issue. I'm writing a paper on this subject for my seminary course and I'm teaching a Sunday school class on Sola Scriptura!
Well let's get you both over to the formal debate thread.:)

Do me a favor please....define Sola Scriptura before the formal debate starts. :)

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,298.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Satan can have the blasphemous attacks in the One True Church, they are his works after all.

I appreciate that you said "no debate" and some of us have strayed away from that; but that is an inflammatory statement.
It is only the view of the Catholic church that they are the "one True Church" - and the implication is that those who aren't Catholics are in false churches.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate that you said "no debate" and some of us have strayed away from that; but that is an inflammatory statement.
It is only the view of the Catholic church that they are the "one True Church" - and the implication is that those who aren't Catholics are in false churches.

It IS a view of the Catholic Church, that's true. So perhaps that's one more thing to add to the poll: the Catholic belief in the full truth of Catholicism versus the error of other denominations. That may be another point of contention.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AFrazier

Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟157,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I disagree with Transubstantiation, but don't find it practically offensive. At least, it encourages faith in the possibility of a mystical connection with the living Christ during the Eucharist. What I object to is the exclusion of Protestants from partaking of the holy elements. Here are 2 negative experiences that demonstrate why:

(1) I once regularly attended a joint Catholic Episcopal charismatic prayer meeting, which culminated in an ecumenical Communion service. When the local Catholic bishop got wind of this, he prohibited Catholics from taken part; they had to confine themselves to their own Eucharist. The result? A bitter dissolution of the long-standing loving prayer meetings!

(2) When I was a Theology professor, a monk invited me to take part in a Catholic Communion service. I jumped at the chance, but when the other Catholics saw me participate, they were outraged and I stopped participating. I was most angry because at the time I was unaware that I was forbidden to partake of Catholic Communion and was only accepting the Catholic monk's invitation.
Just to say so, I used to always find it offensive as well that Catholic churches wouldn't allow me to take communion. But the older I got, and the more knowledgeable in the scriptures I got, the more I realized how absolutely appropriate it is.

The one factor that Protestants don't take into account is that Catholics don't let Catholics take communion either. Not until they have their Confirmation. Confirmation leads to your First Communion.

Whether or not this is the reason, the fact is, the leader(s) in any local church establishment has a responsibility to those in his (or her) congregation. Paul says that if you partake unworthily, you eat and drink yourself to damnation (1 Corinthians 11:26-29). So it is important as a pastor or priest to ensure that you are not leading people to condemnation by allowing them to participate in communion if they are non-believers, apostate, heretics, etc.

Through the process of Confirmation, the Catholic church assures that the participant has been duly educated in what the Catholic church believes to be sound doctrine. If the individual is unworthy in their motives or intentions outside of that, it is between that person and God. But the church has done its duty.

So when you encounter a Protestant, most of whom have absolutely no real education in their own faith, it's actually a very responsible thing that the Catholic church refuses to allow people to participate whom they cannot confirm have been educated in sound doctrine and are professing a true faith.

Far from having a problem with the Catholic church for denying me communion on the rare occasion when I attend that sort of church, I actually find it more offensive that the Protestant denominations I have attended give out communion to people willy-nilly, with no idea whatsoever what the faith, profession, and spiritual condition is of the people partaking. It's very irresponsible. They don't even bother to give a brief message beforehand to explain what communion is, what belief it represents, the humility with which you should participate, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, first, we follow Jesus and not Peter. We are told in Scripture to imitate Christ and not Peter so this pictorial symbol has the wrong focus.

No one is suggesting that we worship St. Peter by using the St. Peter cross.

Second, Peter was crucified upside down but it was not on an inverted cross. Peter was crucified upside down on a regular upright cross. The Romans always provided an upright cross for crucifixion.

Proof of this please? If Peter was crucified upside down ona regular upright cross, how did they stretch out his arms?

Three, Eugène Vintras (1807–1875) may be the first to use the inverted cross in a distinctly anti-Christian way. He was a Gnostic revivalist operating in France during the middle of the 19th century.

This was long before the Catholics adopted this anti-Christian symbol.

I said, it has only been in recent times that the inverted cross was used as a satanic symbol. The Church had used it since ancient times. And it is not just used by the Roman Catholic Church, but the Orthodox Churches and some Protestant Churches

Three, not only are the 3 satanic upside crosses a problem on your shield, the crossing of the keys on your shield is pagan in origin, as well. Usually an "x" in the occult world symbolizes cross bones from a skull and cross bones symbol or picture.

In Christianity the X is the Cross of St. Andrew.

The keys I do not even want to go into because it would not be appropriate to say here.

The keys represent the words that Jesus spoke to St. Peter: "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on Earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on Earth shall be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:19)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You need one more option, all of it.

That reminds me of a quote...

When King James I of England was being implored by some of his more Puritan bishops to further the reforms in the Church of England and move it further away from Rome in doctrine and practice, James is reported to have said, in effect, that we don't stop doing things just because Catholics do them, or we would end up going barefoot because Catholics wear shoes!

It's dishonest of non-Catholics to deny that in fact, Catholics have much in common with other Christians (beyond the wearing of shoes ;) )

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.