Which Catholic Doctrine do you have the biggest issue with?

• The Eucharist

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • The Papacy

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • The Priesthood

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sacred Tradition

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • The Veneration of Mary and the Saint

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • The Four Marian Dogmas

• The Rejection of Sola Scriptura

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • The Rejection of Sola Fide

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Purgatory

• The Seven Sacraments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again, this is NOT a debate, this is a poll, I want to know which Catholic doctrine Protestants and other non-catholics have difficulty with the most. I've already decided what my next topic for a debate with Protestants will be, but I'm not going to be doing it for a very long time. Maybe if things go extraordinary well this summer, I'll start up the debate this August, but that's only if things go extraordinarily well with my other plans, I'd personally prefer to wait and plan on it as much as possible. That debate will be last free-style debate I'm having on here, after that I'm sticking to formal debates only, but I'm getting off topic here.

Anyways, please select which Catholic doctrine you have the biggest issues with in the poll, you can expand on it in the comment section, but NO inflammatory comments! Be as respectful as possible, this is not a debate!

Not the papacy per say just Pope Francis, he is unclear and allows others like the atheist news man to interview him. He is just a little to liberal, unorthodox, whatever you want to call it.I miss Pope Benedict

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would gladly debate this issue. I'm writing a paper on this subject for my seminary course and I'm teaching a Sunday school class on Sola Scriptura!

You may have seen this write up I created on my Biblical Defense of Sola Scriptura before. If you have not seen it before, you can check it out here and here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
“Lord make me chaste, but not yet”.

My biggest objection was to chastity and the Church’s moral and social teaching. I was having way too much “fun” and it was a big struggle to venture down the Romans 13:14 route.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyways, please select which Catholic doctrine you have the biggest issues with in the poll, you can expand on it in the comment section, but NO inflammatory comments! Be as respectful as possible, this is not a debate!

I voted the Eucharist, as the fact that I cannot commune as a divorced and remarried man is probably what keeps me from crossing the Tiber. I respect, though, the position of the Catholic Church in holding this position.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In Mark 7:6-9, Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions. My biggest objection to Catholics is that they have not been careful to avoid coming under this same criticism. In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from what God has commanded, so everyone who has done that needs to repent, and there are other doctrines that have stemmed from this problem

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The worship of dead mens bones. I mean catholic churches will keep the bones of saints under the church or in the church, really repulsive to me. And it is part of the whole idol worship thing, which also involves the worship of Mary ("the queen of heaven" look it up in the Bible)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,421.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's challenging to pick one as they're all quite intertwined and I can appreciate that the definitions are complex; it really depends on what is meant. I feel like there's commonly an element of confusion in these debates.

Just to give you a quick example from the Lutheran perspective: The Lutheran rejection of Sacred Tradition is not a rejection of tradition altogether, by any means. Though not considered equal with Holy Scripture, we also listen to the Apostolic Fathers and adhere to the creeds. There's much value in tradition, that is, orthodoxy. Similarly, while we reject work-righteousness, we still insist that good works are necessary, but only that they do not merit salvation.

Nonetheless, I think the rejection of Sola Fide is the most critical and central point, for to me it goes hard against the Gospel and the nature of God's grace.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The rejection of Sola Scriptura, primarily. Then papal infallibility and Mary/saint veneration.

When you let go of the belief that the Bible is the be all, end all of the Christian faith, all the other errors become possible. (And I'm not even a Calvinist.)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The papacy, I suppose. Or rather what it has become. Of course I would have accepted primacy. But along with the papacy comes the ability to assert new dogmas, which I find some of the Marian additions to be among the more problematic.

But IMO the papacy and the direction it has taken is at the root of all the problematic issues.

(Though if one could sum up the direction taken by the Catholics after Augustine that might have me voting differently. That seems to underlie many of the theologies I see as problematic as well.)

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Purgatory. It doesn't make sense to debate dogma for the Church on this earth, if the "chess pieces" could be moved after this life.

A Roman Catholic and I were once lightly blogging and I go concluded that she would to straight to Heaven. She objected, stating that such a thing would throw a wrench into everything she had been taught, believed and lived for. To which I replied, "Then I guess you'll go into Heaven kicking and screaming."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Rejection of Sola Scriptura is the root of the problem and it also could infect anyone who thinks that the "through their word" in John 17:20 refers to them personally rather than those who were witness and believed Jesus in the first century. It's not as if believing the commandments of men disappeared when you trace back the history of Christianity. In fact the scriptures observe such a thing in its' initial stages. Jude 1:4 Acts 20:30 2 Peter 2:1 2 Timothy 4:3

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Papal Infallibility and Indulgences. They are my "least favorite". Infallibility sort of works within all the parameters they have set, but it was sort of reverse engineered that way.

Indulgences - complicated, un-clear, not historical enough for me.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The rejection of Sola Scriptura leads to all the other errors mentioned in the poll so I vote for this one. If we accept Sola Scriptura then it cuts every other error off at its root. This is why Sola Scriptura is often called "the formal principle of the reformation".
I agree..... there was no "all of the above" vote. Therefore.... Sola Scriptura bout does it.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, this is NOT a debate, this is a poll, I want to know which Catholic doctrine Protestants and other non-catholics have difficulty with the most. I've already decided what my next topic for a debate with Protestants will be, but I'm not going to be doing it for a very long time. Maybe if things go extraordinary well this summer, I'll start up the debate this August, but that's only if things go extraordinarily well with my other plans, I'd personally prefer to wait and plan on it as much as possible. That debate will be last free-style debate I'm having on here, after that I'm sticking to formal debates only, but I'm getting off topic here.

All of them, their all false doctrine

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mine is not on the list, but for me it is the tendency to want to quantify things that shouldn't be quantified. Grace is understood as a created thing that is quantifiable and leads to such things as (quantified) indulgences for relief from purgatory, as well as (quantified) penances to offset sin that has also become quantifiable, which leads to a legalistic view of salvation as satisfying certain conditions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.