✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
(Copied from my blog)

I am an Italian. The dominant Italic people were Latins; thus, I am undoubtedly of Latin descent and have every right to refer to myself as Latin.

I am also Portuguese. Portugal is part of Roman Hispania and therefore I am Hispanic. Moreover, since the Moors (or "Moops" for fellow Seinfeld fans) invaded Hispania and contributed to the Portuguese gene pool I am also an African.

In light of the fact that I am Latin, Hispanic, and African I think I am entitled to suckle at the teat of the government and enjoy the soft prejudice of low expectations.

Reactions: Yusuf Evans

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Brennin said:
In light of the fact that I am Latin, Hispanic, and African I think I am entitled to suckle at the teat of the government and enjoy the soft prejudice of low expectations.

Hold on....its not that easy. First you have to prove you or someone a hundred years ago like you are/were oppressed. If you can't make a convincing case of that, all is not lost. Get some more people like you, be as annoying as you can and them blame the reaction of people to you on their hatred of your Latin/Hispanic/Africian Italian heritage. The good part here is you don't really have to prove that is why people dislike you and your friends. The media will accept your word on this.

Next you need a 501C-3. They are best but a 501C-4 is OK too. The Center for American Progress, the ACLU or the National Lawyers Guild can refer to you lawyers who will help you fill out the forms.

Now comes the fundraising. If you live along the coast, you may luck out and be hit with a hurricane. If so, run to the media and tell them Bush hates Latin/Hispanic/African Italians and that is why you didn't get free MRE's and a new mobile home. In the winter, you might consider moving to the coldest area of the country so you can complain about the cost of heating oil.

Upvote 0

LaLaRu

Apr 11, 2006
Madison, WI
✟15,489.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I actually did some research on Affirmative Action when I was in college. What I found was that race was NOT a significant disadvantage in getting into college. In reality, it's social class. People from poor communities will have a harder time getting into college and getting a good job than people from well off communities. Therefore, any Affirmative Action program should be retooled to help the poor instead of a certain racial group.

Upvote 0

hernyaccent

single black female addicted to retail
Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
ballfan said:
Why?

What would you have him learn? English maybe?

Wouldn't an education raise the expectations placed on him making it so he wouldn't qualify for government handouts? All he wants is equal treatment at the government teat. Thats not too much to ask.

No, educate one's self about the real issues at hand such as socio-econoimic advantages and disadvantages among certain groups of people. Expectation has NOTHING to do with qualifying for government hand-outs nor does ethnicity. Mind you I am a moderate when it comes to welfare because I believe these people should get some sort of skilled training and stop relying solely on the system. However, I realize the importance of the system. I personally have never experienced a hand-out in my life. So I take high offense when it's stated that people of certain ethnic origin are expected to achieve -less. It's not the issue of achieving -less it's the issue of not knowing what more is. More to same minorities ( or portrayed by the media) in urban settings is having a nice car and fancy clothing. I wonder where this feed to them.

Upvote 0

hernyaccent

single black female addicted to retail
Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
LaLaRu said:
I actually did some research on Affirmative Action when I was in college. What I found was that race was NOT a significant disadvantage in getting into college. In reality, it's social class. People from poor communities will have a harder time getting into college and getting a good job than people from well off communities. Therefore, any Affirmative Action program should be retooled to help the poor instead of a certain racial group.

Actually the truly poor do get total assistances from the government when it comes to college. People just aren't able to tell the difference between the poor and middile -class any longer.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Trouble with government freebies are all those forms you have to fill out and rules you must follow. An alternative to that is to land a job in a government union. Then you not only receive income all out of proportion to what little work is demanded of you but you get to make other people fill out forms and comply with inane rules and pointless regulations. Almost impossible to get fired too. Plus you receive every holiday known to mankind off. As any added bonus, you retire years before the taxpayers who paid your salary!

Upvote 0

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
notto said:
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfareblack.htm

Here are the statistics on welfare recipients: Traits of families on AFDC (1)

Race
--------------
White 38.8%
Black 37.2
Hispanic 17.8
Asian 2.8
Other 3.4

Blacks and Hispanics represent 25% of the population (according to the 2000 census) but 55% of welfare recipients (according to your citation.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Brennin said:
Blacks and Hispanics represent 25% of the population (according to the 2000 census) but 55% of welfare recipients (according to your citation.)

Yep. Kind of makes your OP fairly inane. You won't have to change a thing in order to get welfare. You can be poor, disadvantaged and white as often as any of the nationalities you mentioned in this country. After all, that is what the statistics show.

Would you trade places with any one who is at the government teat as you put it? I'm guessing that they would trade places with you.

Dehumanizing and stereotyping their circumstances won't solve any of the problems. Perhaps you should focus on that instead of simply making strange statements that make it sound like you would rather be in the position they are in instead of the position you are in.

Maybe we could take a closer peak at the personal history you outlined for us in the OP.

Was you grandfather or greatgrandfather denied the right to vote because of the color of their skin?

Where they not allowed to own property or have an interest bearing savings account?

Where they denied the ability to build real property value so they could build a family estate?

Did your great great grandfather ever have property taken at the point of a gun or were they forced off their land to a reservation?

Was their scalp worth a bounty if they where shot for no real reason?

Has the Amerian Government ever told your ancestors here in America that they could not go to a school, could not drink from a water fountain, or that they were too stupid to have certain jobs?

Did law enforcement ever look the other way while they burned your grandparents church or homes?

Do you think that incidents and circumstances like this might prevent a population from gaining personal wealth while the rest of America did and that might have something to do with the statistics we see?

It isn't where they are from that is important. It is what was done to them once they got here that is the issue.

Again, feel free to trade places with anyone who feels that they were wronged by the government or who receives government support today. They surely would not deny you that exchange.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The trouble with government funded charity is manifold: People are forced to support it. It creates a bureaucracy which has a vested interest in lobbying for more charity and perhaps even institutionalizing poverty. Most importantly however, because payouts are mandated by law, it allows no discretion. Deserving recipients cannot be given priority. Fall into the group the law allows to receive a handout and get it. So we have a lot of people with no intent of ever bettering themselves staying on it as long as the law permits.

Most would agree there is some role for government charity. But it must be done very carefully. Better for those who give and those who recieve to be in closer contact. Private charity, by nature, is much better at winnowing out those who game the system than government charity which really cannot do it at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
notto said:
I guess that would either be a poor individual or a very large multinational business, right?

Multinational businesses get handouts? I am not aware of any, at least based in this country, which do not generate postive tax revenues and remain in business for long. All pay a mix of federal corporate income taxes, Federal personal income taxes,state corporate income taxes, state personal incomes taxes, Federal capitol gains taxes, state capitol gains taxes, state sales taxes on purchases,Federal execise taxes, property taxes, license fees etc. Of course you may have the view I have seen others express than all money belongs to the government and any reduction in taxes is a "handout"--government giving back to the people some of the wealth which they themselves create (but which, according to some left wing theorists, they have no right to own and is not really theirs but belongs to the collective).

Only business handouts I see are payoffs to government unions (they are extremely lucrative businesses) which get nothing but handouts from taxpayers.

Upvote 0

LaLaRu

Apr 11, 2006
Madison, WI
✟15,489.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
hernyaccent said:
Actually the truly poor do get total assistances from the government when it comes to college. People just aren't able to tell the difference between the poor and middile -class any longer.
It's getting into college in the first place that's the problem. To put it bluntly, poor school sucks and poor parents often don't have the time or ability to help their kids get into college.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Voegelin said:
I am not aware of any, at least based in this country, which do not generate postive tax revenues and remain in business for long.

And the citizenry of the US generates positive tax revenues as well. I guess this shouldn't be a problem then. It is only when individuals are looked at (or particular products or subs of a company) that you get a net loss in tax revenue. When you take into account the overall effect, we have positive net revenue. If it works as an argument for large business, why not the population as a whole? The government is subsidizing one part of it (just like a multinational, large company, or specific industry) to keep it chugging along and relying on tax revenue from the rest.

Upvote 0