WHERE DOES IT SAY GOD'S SABBATH IS ABOLSIHED AND WE ARE COMMANDED TO KEEP SUNDAY AS A HOLY DAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Now after 30 pages seems no one is able to answer a single question from the OP here.....

The challenge I am putting up here in the OP is for anyone to show even one scripture that says God's 4th Commandment of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) which was spoken and written by God himself to his people, has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

Can anyone please show me where in all the bible does is say (SOLA SCRIPTURA; Scripture only please)...

1. That God's 4th commandments 7th day Sabbath has been abolished?

2. That Jesus is a Sabbath?

3. The Sabbath (seventh day) was ever changed from the seventh to the first day of the week?

4. Where we are told to keep the first day of the week holy?

5. Where the first day of the week (Sunday) is ever called a holy day?

6. That says that Jesus ever kept the first day (Sunday)?

7. That tells us to keep the first day in honour of the resurrection of Christ?

8. Where the first day is ever given any sacred name?

9. That affirms that any of the apostles ever kept the first day as the Sabbath?

10. From any apostolic writings that authorizes Sunday observance as the Sabbath of God?

11. Where we are told not to work on the first day of the week?

12. That says the seventh day is no longer God's Sabbath day?

13. That says the seventh day Sabbath is ABOLISHED?

14. Where the apostles ever taught any convert to keep the first day of the week as a Sabbath?

15. Where the first day was ever appointed to be kept as the Lord's Day?

16. Where the first day of the week is ever called the Lord's Day?

17. That says that the first day of the week was ever sanctified and hallowed as a day of rest?

18. That says that the Father or the Son (Jesus) rested on the first day of the week?

19. That says that Jesus, Paul or any other of the apostles taught anyone to observe the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

20. That calls the seventh day the “Jewish Sabbath” or one text that calls Sunday the “Christian Sabbath”?

21. Telling man to keep the first day of the week holy or to worship or rest on the first day of the week?

22. Authorizing anyone to set aside God's Sabbath and observe any other day?

23. Showing any of the apostles keeping the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

24. Authorizing someone to set aside the fourth Commandment and observe any other day of the week?

25. Where any apostle taught us to keep the first day of the week as the Sabbath?

26. Declaring that the seventh day is no longer the Eternal Sabbath day?

27. Where Sunday is now appointed to be kept as the New Testament Sabbath or holy day?

Something to think about here because we are all accountable to God come judgment day where we will all be judged by the Word of God (John 12:47-48).

God's Word makes it very clear that if we follow the teachings of men over the Word of God we are not following God...

MATTHEW 15:3-9 [3],
[3], But he answered and said unto them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift devoted to God, whatsoever you might have received from me;
[6], And honors not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God void by your tradition.
[7], You hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
[8], These people draw near unto me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
[9], But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

If we are KNOWINGLY breaking ANY of God's commandments we are not worshipping God.

Look forward to your thoughts...

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's follow the teaching of Jesus.

In Mark 7:6-13 Jesus begins with "in vain do they worship Me" -- what was his complaint about them?

Certainly a lot of true statements there - but in the actual Mark 7:6-13 statement of Christ - He is very specific.

Mark 7
6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:

‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

The Bible says "God made it holy" Ex 20:11 Gen 2:3 ... it does not say "man made it holy".

When can choose to keep holy - (that is to comply with and honor) that which God has made holy ... or not.

But we cannot make something holy -- only God can.

"The 7th day is the Sabbath of the LORD (yhwh) " Ex 20:10

If man is the author of scripture, the author of the commandments - the author of the Sabbath -- and man makes it holy... then you are right.

Jesus addresses that idea of commandments of men vs commandments of God in Mark 7.
Brother ..I am not disagreeing with you . As I replied to the other brother ...unless the Lord build the house, they who labor , labor in vain. It is the absolute necessity of the new birth by God's Spirit . Be ye holy for I am holy ( 1st Peter 1:16 ) Where I would differ is I think the new birth allows us ( as you pointed out ) to be Holy by the blood of Christ ( You are correct ..I can not do anything. ) As Paul said , I run , yet not I but He who works in me .
The 4th commandment is not abolished ...it is fulfilled but again ...I believe every day is holy and whereas you may have 6 profane days and one holy day , I have by God's great mercy to me ...7 holy days ...for one sabbath to the next . I do get a rest ( as God provides because I believe that the sabbath was created for man and not man for the sabbath . )
If we are not careful ...we will be doing all kinds of things for God and the branches will then be bearing the root and not the root thee .

In Mark 7:6-13 Jesus begins with "in vain do they worship Me" -- what was his complaint about them?

Certainly a lot of true statements there - but in the actual Mark 7:6-13 statement of Christ - He is very specific.

Mark 7
6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:

9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

The Bible says "God made it holy" Ex 20:11 Gen 2:3 ... it does not say "man made it holy".

When can choose to keep holy - (that is to comply with and honor) that which God has made holy ... or not.

If man is the author of scripture, the author of the commandments - the author of the Sabbath -- and man makes it holy... then you are right.

Jesus addresses that idea of commandments of men vs commandments of God in Mark 7.
Brother ..I would trust you are much more scriptural than I am and able to tear me to pieces with scriptural rhetoric and not necessarily untrue . I allow you your one day of rest . I will take Jesus who is not only the part but the Whole which all ten commandments foreshadowed . One is not even able to keep the fourth commandment without Him .

• Friendly
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Brother ..I am not disagreeing with you . As I replied to the other brother ...unless the Lord build the house, they who labor , labor in vain. It is the absolute necessity of the new birth by God's Spirit . Be ye holy for I am holy ( 1st Peter 1:16 ) Where I would differ is I think the new birth allows us ( as you pointed out ) to be Holy by the blood of Christ ( You are correct ..I can not do anything. ) As Paul said , I run , yet not I but He who works in me .
The 4th commandment is not abolished ...it is fulfilled but again ...I believe every day is holy and whereas you may have 6 profane days and one holy day , I have by God's great mercy to me ...7 holy days ...for one sabbath to the next . I do get a rest ( as God provides because I believe that the sabbath was created for man and not man for the sabbath . )
If we are not careful ...we will be doing all kinds of things for God and the branches will then be bearing the root and not the root thee .

Brother ..I would trust you are much more scriptural than I am and able to tear me to pieces with scriptural rhetoric and not necessarily untrue . I allow you your one day of rest . I will take Jesus who is not only the part but the Whole which all ten commandments foreshadowed . One is not even able to keep the fourth commandment without Him .

JESUS came to magnify the LAW from the INSIDE OUT quoting MATTHEW 5:17-32 (thoughts and feelings) in fulfillment of *ISAIAH 42:21. This is to show that unless our RIGHTOUESNESS EXCEEDS the RIGHTOUESNESS of the Scribes and Pharisees we can in no way enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN. Jesus is saying the problem runs deeper then outward observance to the 10 Commandments. EVIL begins in the HEART.

BREAKING GOD's 10 COMMANDMENTS from the heart defile a man *MATTHEW 15:18-19. JESUS is saying we can be outwardly perfect and blameless like the Scribes and Pharisee but inwardly like dead mans bones *MATTHEW 23:27-28. JESUS magnified the LAW to the INSIDE OUT. To show us that we are all sinners in need of a Saviour and that sin originates in the HEART (thoughts and feelings).

That is why we have the NEW COVENANT promise and need to be BORN AGAIN by Faith in God's WORD for salvation to be free from SIN (breaking any one of God's 10 commandments) *HEBREWS 8:10-12; 1 JOHN 3:3-10.

If we are not BORN AGAIN into the NEW COVENANT promise and continue in it we will not enter the kingdom of Heaven *1 JOHN 2:3-4; 1 JOHN 2:3-4. ALL those who KNOWINGLY break any one of God's 10 commandments stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11. All those who KNOWINGLY CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter into God's KINGDOM *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

God's 4th Commandment is one of the 10 Commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of what sin is. There is no such thing as the 9 commandments in God's WORD. The same as there is no scripure that says God's 4th commandment is Abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

RIGHTESOUSNESS comes from LOVE because LOVE is the fulfilling of God's LAW and the very expression of what LOVE is *ROMANS 13:8-10. He that does not LOVE does not KNOW GOD for GOD IS LOVE * 1 JOHN 4:8. All those who are BORN AGAIN have a NEW HEART TO LOVE and FOLLOW GOD *1 JOHN 4:7. This is the NEW COVENANT promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12.

Those who are BORN AGAIN do not practice SIN (breaking God's Commandments) *1 JOHN 3:4-9. This is why JOHN finishes on this subject by saying; For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous *1 JOHN 5:3 and is why JESUS says IF you LOVE me KEEP my commandments *JOHN 14:15.

UNLESS we are BORN AGAIN under the NEW COVENANT to LOVE we will not enter the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *JOHN 3:3-7. We need to be changed from the INSIDE OUT to LOVE and LOVE is the fulfilling (doing) of the LAW in all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD.

God bless

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Maybe that's because you want to give a lecture instead of having a conversation.

Not at all brother. We can have a conversation sharing God's WORD can't we? I love God's WORD don't you? Only God's WORD is true at the end of the day our opinions and our own words do not really matter unless they agree with Gods Word *ROMANS 3:4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God's WORD is the FAITH. You can't have faith without it *ROMANS 10:17
What do you mean by faith?

The chapter says Christ is the end of the law in verse 4. Do you believe that?

Do you believe -

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

I just don't read anything about the law when it comes to salvation. So where do you get the idea salvation involves keeping the law?

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not at all brother. We can have a conversation sharing God's WORD can't we? I love God's WORD don't you? Only God's WORD is true at the end of the day our opinions and our own words do not really matter unless they agree with Gods Word *ROMANS 3:4
I don't see how we can have a conversation about God's Word when you keep repeating that I'm a lair with Scripture. It just not very conductive to conversation.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
JESUS came to magnify the LAW from the INSIDE OUT quoting MATTHEW 5:17-32 (thoughts and feelings) in fulfillment of *ISAIAH 42:21. This is to show that unless our RIGHTOUESNESS EXCEEDS the RIGHTOUESNESS of the Scribes and Pharisees we can in no way enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN. Jesus is saying the problem runs deeper then outward observance to the 10 Commandments. EVIL begins in the HEART.

BREAKING GOD's 10 COMMANDMENTS from the heart defile a man *MATTHEW 15:18-19. JESUS is saying we can be outwardly perfect and blameless like the Scribes and Pharisee but inwardly like dead mans bones *MATTHEW 23:27-28. JESUS magnified the LAW to the INSIDE OUT. To show us that we are all sinners in need of a Saviour and that sin originates in the HEART (thoughts and feelings).

That is why we have the NEW COVENANT promise and need to be BORN AGAIN by Faith in God's WORD for salvation to be free from SIN (breaking any one of God's 10 commandments) *HEBREWS 8:10-12; 1 JOHN 3:3-10.

If we are not BORN AGAIN into the NEW COVENANT promise and continue in it we will not enter the kingdom of Heaven *1 JOHN 2:3-4; 1 JOHN 2:3-4. ALL those who KNOWINGLY break any one of God's 10 commandments stand guilty before God of sin *JAMES 2:10-11. All those who KNOWINGLY CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter into God's KINGDOM *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

God's 4th Commandment is one of the 10 Commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of what sin is. There is no such thing as the 9 commandments in God's WORD. The same as there is no scripure that says God's 4th commandment is Abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

RIGHTESOUSNESS comes from LOVE because LOVE is the fulfilling of God's LAW and the very expression of what LOVE is *ROMANS 13:8-10. He that does not LOVE does not KNOW GOD for GOD IS LOVE * 1 JOHN 4:8. All those who are BORN AGAIN have a NEW HEART TO LOVE and FOLLOW GOD *1 JOHN 4:7. This is the NEW COVENANT promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12.

Those who are BORN AGAIN do not practice SIN (breaking God's Commandments) *1 JOHN 3:4-9. This is why JOHN finishes on this subject by saying; For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous *1 JOHN 5:3 and is why JESUS says IF you LOVE me KEEP my commandments *JOHN 14:15.

UNLESS we are BORN AGAIN under the NEW COVENANT to LOVE we will not enter the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *JOHN 3:3-7. We need to be changed from the INSIDE OUT to LOVE and LOVE is the fulfilling (doing) of the LAW in all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD.

God bless
Ha! With the new birth we are able to love thus not only fulfilling the letter of the law but the spirit . We ( by God's goodness to us ) are able to do more than the ten commandments . More ? Yes ...A new commandment I give you . Love one another . 11 commandments .
It is interesting . The Amish are very sure we are lost because we are worldly . The baptist because we are not baptist . The Orthodox Jews because we are not orthodox and do not observe Torah . And of course SDA because we keep not the sabbath . How many groups belong to those groups because they believe their group is wrong ? None . Everyone is very confident they are right and can use any number of scriptures to show why . What if actual love turned out to be more important to God than even obeying the fourth commandment . What if the fourth commandment in God's eyes was a flea and unlove was camel . What if ..What if the fourth commandment was for US and not God ?

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What would you like to know about it? Just reading the scriptures is clear enough. God finished his work of creation in six days and rested the SEVENTH DAY of the creation week and BLESSED the SEVENTH DAY of the WEEK and made the SEVENTH DAY of the week a HOLY DAY *GENESIS 2:1-3. God's WORD defines the SABBATH as the SEVENTH DAY of the week *EXODUS 20:10. Read the scriptures.
Thanks for your exegesis. I didn't ask you to say what I want to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Might be easier if you read the posts you did not read before responding.
He's interested in how you carry out the sabbath in your personal life. He can read the Scripture without your assistance.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My motives. For me, he must increase and I must decrease. I only point all to the Word of God because it is there we find the one who loves us that we may love him. I know him and am known by him. All that he shows me I see and must show to all because I am blind. He tells me it is those that see that do not see. These are they that have once known him or do not know him. Who am I that he should choose me out of the world? I am no one but he is all. If I did not believe him I would not know him. What can I do without him? He is love and now I love. I follow him now because I love him who first loved me. You say that I have not answered you, but I indeed answered you with His Word but you do not hear him because you have chosen not to hear his Word to you. I do not judge you but His Word will judge us because they are there for all to see. All are welcome to see and hear God's Word, however many are called but few are chosen. Do you know these scriptures brother?
I say I also point you to the Scripture. You refuse to address them like Gal 5:1-12; Rom 10:4; Jn 5:24; 1 Tim 1:9, etc.

The ones you do address you try to use even the next verse to prove the other is an error. Lk 16:16 is a great example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do not commit adultery. Yes! In the Spirit of God, lovingly live fidelity just as Christ with His Bride.
(Deuteronomy 5:18, Luke 18:20, Ephesians 5:25)

Do not murder. Yes! In the Spirit of God, lovingly proclaim Life to the perishing.
(Deuteronomy 5:17, Luke 18:20, Luke 10:9)

Do not steal. Yes! In the Spirit of God, lovingly give, give, give.
(Deuteronomy 5:19, Luke 18:20, Luke 16:19-31, Luke 18:22)

Do not bear false witness. Yes! In the Spirit of God, lovingly tell the truth about the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, even if it leads to persecution from the listener.
(Deuteronomy 5:20, Luke 18:20, Matthew 5:9-12)

Honor your father and mother. Yes! In the Spirit of God, lovingly honor your biological mother and father; moreover, honor your Father who is in heaven and your mother, the Bride of Christ, who heralded to you the Truth of the Good News of the Lord Jesus Christ, love one another such that the Assembly of God's love be a witness of Jesus Christ visible to the world, so it will go well with you in the Promise.
(Deuteronomy 5:16, Luke 18:20, Matthew 23:9, John 13:34-35 1 Timothy 3:15)

Do not have any other God's before the One True God. Yes! In the Spirit of God, love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
(Deuteronomy 5:7, Deuteronomy 6:4, Matthew 22:37).

His Law is Love, and His Gospel is Peace.
Unfortunately none of these examples prove someone is keeping the law.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ha! With the new birth we are able to love thus not only fulfilling the letter of the law but the spirit . We ( by God's goodness to us ) are able to do more than the ten commandments . More ? Yes ...A new commandment I give you . Love one another . 11 commandments .
It is interesting . The Amish are very sure we are lost because we are worldly . The baptist because we are not baptist . The Orthodox Jews because we are not orthodox and do not observe Torah . And of course SDA because we keep not the sabbath . How many groups belong to those groups because they believe their group is wrong ? None . Everyone is very confident they are right and can use any number of scriptures to show why . What if actual love turned out to be more important to God than even obeying the fourth commandment . What if the fourth commandment in God's eyes was a flea and unlove was camel . What if ..What if the fourth commandment was for US and not God ?
They do not understand that love itself fulfills all that the law ever required. They are taught a strict obedience to the ten commandments.

It is remarkable that anyone could be found still enforcing the law in this day and age.

I never cease to be amazed that they could fail to see what the apostles were really saying.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Mark 7

Sorry but I'm not an Israeli.

• Prayers
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello brother nice to see you again.

You cannot separate God's ETERNAL LAW (10 commandments) from LOVE because OBEDIENCE to GOD's LAW through FAITH is how God's LOVE is expressed.

ROMANS 13:8-10
[8], Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. [9], For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, namely, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. [10], Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore, love is the fulfilling [DOING] of the law.

The practical application here can be seen in these examples.

LOVE GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART MIND AND SOUL (Deuteronomy 6:5)

* If you love God will you have other gods before him? (Exodus 20:3)
* If you love God will you make yourself idols and worship them? (Exodus 20:4-5)
* If you love God will you take his name in vain (Exodus 20:7)
* If you love God will you forget his Sabbath memorial of creation? (Exodus 20:8-11)

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBORE AS YOURSELF (Leviticus 19:18)

* If you love your neighbor will you dishonor your parents? (Exodus 20:12)
* If you love your neighbor will you kill him? (Exodus 20:13)
* If you love your neighbor will you commit adultery with their spouse? (Exodus 20:14)
* If you love your neighbor will you steal from them? (Exodus 20:15)
* If you love your neighbor will you lie to them? (Exodus 20:16)
* If you love your neighbor will you covet or be jealous of them? (Exodus 20:17).

OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT of God's work in us as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If our faith has no fruit it is dead *JAMES 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50. We are saved by GRACE through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God *EPHESIANS 2:8. We are all sick with sin and need a Physician *MATTHEW 9:12-13 and need to be BORN AGAIN and changed from the INSIDE OUT.

What does Jesus say when he talks about the commandments and love? Jesus is quoting from Old testament scriptures of Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18.
in MATTHEW let's have a look...

MATTHEW 22:36-40
[36], Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37], Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38], This is the first and great commandment.
[39], And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
[40], ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

JESUS does not separate LOVE to GOD and man from God's 10 commandments. He says on these two great commandments of LOVE hang all the law and the prophets. Let's get clearer...

MATTHEW 19:16-21
[16], And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
[17], And he said unto him, Why call thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: BUT IF YOU WILL ENTER INTO LIFE KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.
[18], He saith unto him, WHICH? JESUS SAID, THOU SHALT NOT MURDER, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT STEAL, THOU SHALT NOT LIE, HONOR YOU MOTHER AND FATHER AND THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF
[20], The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

[21], Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. <Jesus showed him that he may have fulfilled His duty of love to his neighbor but not to God breaking commandment 1 and 2 loving riches more than God>

Well Jesus makes it very clear that what he is talking about it is the 10 commandments of God's Law.

What about James...

JAMES 2:8-12
[8], If ye fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF, ye do well:
[9], But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
[10], FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL KEEP THE WHOLE LAW AND YET OFFEND IN ONE POINT, HE SHALL BE GUILTY OF ALL.
[11], FOR HE THAT SAID, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY SAID ALSO DO NOT KILL. NOW IF YOU DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY AND YOU KILL, YOU HAVE BECOME A TRANSGRESSOR OF GOD'S LAW
[12], So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Well James makes it very clear what he is talking about when he talks about the Royal Law of love. He is talking about the 10 commandments. So Jesus and James both agree that they are talking about God's 10 commandments which also include the 4th commandment which is one of the ten.

What your missing here and not seeing is the NEW COVENANT promise of LOVE written in the heart is expressed through God's LAW not apart from it.

HEBREWS 8:10-12
[10], For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, said the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
[11], And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
[12], For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

We need to be BORN again to LOVE brother in order to receive the NEW COVENANT promise walk in God's LAW which is the very expression of what LOVE is. This is why JESUS says...

JOHN 3:3-8
[3], Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
[4], Nicodemus said to him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
[5], Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
[6], That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

NOTE: what PAUL says that ties in nicely with what JESUS is teaching here about why we will not see the kingdom of Heaven if we live in the flesh (carnal mind; sinful human nature) in ROMANS 8:13 For if you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall live.

[7], Marvel not that I said to you, You must be born again.
[8], The wind blows where it wants, and you hear the sound thereof, but can not tell from where it comes, and where it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Now brother the question is why do we need to be Born again in the Spirit? As partly answered in ROMANS 8:13 above, if we live in the flesh (carnal mind; sinful human nature) we will die because the wages of sin is death to all those who reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

Let's look at what it means to be Born again and to walk in God's Spirit and the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil...

1 JOHN 3:3-10
[3], And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.
[4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
[5], And you know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[6], Whoever abides in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.

NOTE: how v6 ties in with 1 JOHN 2:1-4.

[7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

NOTE: What is JESUS coming to destroy? The works of the devil which is sin v8

[9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

NOTE: If we are BORN of GOD we are not practicing sin. WHY? because God's seed remains in us through faith. This is abiding in him and not sinning (known sin). What is the seed that needs to abide in us so we do not sin? *LUKE 8:11 Now this is the parable the seed is the Word of God.

[10], In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil (Not sinning and committing sin): whoever does not righteousness is not of God (PSALMS 119:172 All my commandments are righteousness), neither he that loves not his brother.

Can you see brother you cannot separate LOVE from God's LAW?

God's 10 commandments are the very expression of what God's LOVE is. We are not saved by keeping God's LAW we are saved by faith in God's WORD as LOVE is expressed through us *EPHESIANS 2:8. Walking in the Spirit brings the fruit of faith which is LOVE and OBEDIENCE to God's LAW *GALATIONS 5:16; ROMANS 8:1-4; ROMANS 3:31; ROMANS 13:8-10.

RIGHTESOUSNESS comes from LOVE because LOVE is the fulfilling of God's LAW and the very expression of what LOVE is *ROMANS 13:8-10. He that does not LOVE does not KNOW GOD for GOD IS LOVE * 1 JOHN 4:8. All those who are BORN AGAIN have a NEW HEART TO LOVE and FOLLOW GOD *1 JOHN 4:7. This is the NEW COVENANT promise *HEBREWS 8:10-12. Those who are BORN AGAIN do not practice SIN (breaking God's Commandments) *1 JOHN 3:4-9. This is why JOHN finishes on this subject by saying; For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous *1 JOHN 5:3 and is why JESUS says IF you LOVE me KEEP my commandments *JOHN 14:15. UNLESS we are BORN AGAIN under the NEW COVENANT to LOVE we will not enter the KINGDOM of HEAVEN *JOHN 3:3-7. We need to be changed from the INSIDE OUT.

Hope this helps.
Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Brother ..I am not disagreeing with you . As I replied to the other brother ...unless the Lord build the house, they who labor , labor in vain. It is the absolute necessity of the new birth by God's Spirit . Be ye holy for I am holy ( 1st Peter 1:16 )

Agreed. And that is true whether we are talking about "do not take God's name in vain" or we are talking about "remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy".

Where I would differ is I think the new birth allows us ( as you pointed out ) to be Holy by the blood of Christ ( You are correct ..I can not do anything. ) As Paul said , I run , yet not I but He who works in me .

On the contrary we agree there as well - that the New Birth - in fact the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-33 writes the "LAW of God" known to Jeremiah and his readers on the heart. Resulting in the 2Cor 5 case of the new creation now in harmony with the Word of God rather than at war with it.

The 4th commandment is not abolished ...it is fulfilled but again ...I believe every day is holy and whereas you may have 6 profane days and one holy day

The Bible definition of the Holy Day that God made - is that no secular work may be done on it. Ex 20:8-11 Isaiah 58:13.

by contrast - Paul says that you are condemned if you refrain from work all 7 days of the week. 2 Thess 3:10. In addition in Galatians 4 Paul flat out condemns anyone that would observe any of the pagan days as a holy day. Not even one is allowed.

And Christ points out in Mark 7:6-13 that even a "little" editing of the Word of God -- no matter how noble one thinks the reason is for doing so -- is that which invalidates worship "in vain do they worship Me".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.