Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So I see these videos online about helping the homeless.

We as Christians are commanded to feed the hungry, cloth the naked and visit them in prison.

So I ask, in this Christian Forums when was the last time you helped the homeless?

I always help when asked, no matter what, unless IM poor myself, then i pray for them.

Reactions: Molly Robbie

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I attend an urban church a short distance from a homeless shelter which kicks its overnight guests out about when my church is convening. We often get panhandled. I keep a little $ set aside in my car for such occasions. The last time was a few weeks ago. Usually I get a 'thank you' or a 'God bless you.' The last time the fellow surprised me with a hug and practically ran to the McDonald's across the street.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I attend an urban church a short distance from a homeless shelter which kicks its overnight guests out about when my church is convening. We often get panhandled. I keep a little $ set aside in my car for such occasions. The last time was a few weeks ago. Usually I get a 'thank you' or a 'God bless you.' The last time the fellow surprised me with a hug and practically ran to the McDonald's across the street.

Wow, ran to McDonald's? That's a pretty neat story.

I was once Homeless for a long time in my 20s. It is a blessed experience I will never forget.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
40 dollars several weeks ago to a lady- at the entrance to Wal-Mart
She hugged me and we talked about God right inside of the store.

That's a good way to do it, talking about God at the time of help.

I think every one should be out helping others if they can and also counseling others with the word of God.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can I suggest too, lobby for better supports.

It's one thing to give cash or support in kind, in person, but part of what's needed is better crisis accommodation, better long term government housing, better mental health care, better addiction treatment, better integrated support for people who find themselves in a crisis situation.

All of these things need to be said to our governments, loud and clear and often: if you want our votes, have policies which look after our most vulnerable properly.

It'd be better if we could get to the point where the homeless person didn't need to ask for our money in the first place.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Every time they ask.

I work downtown in a larger city. I ride a bicycle and utilize public transit (I don't drive).
So often, usually several times a week, every week.
I don't keep track except for those that have unusual circumstances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Every time they ask.

I work downtown in a larger city. I ride a bicycle and utilize public transit (I don't drive).
So often, usually several times a week, every week.
I don't keep track except for those that have unusual circumstances.

The good deeds we do for others is the evidence we are saved and where converted by the spirit of God.

Thank you for helping others.

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Molly Robbie

Aug 16, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
✟7,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We did a lot of this back when we were in Florida. Due to the weather and location we've always had a big homeless population especially in Jacksonville, but it got much worse after that great recession and it's only gotten worse in the years after that even though the media was always trying to tell us the economy got better. We did our best to let the people know they weren't alone and there was a place for them, and provide hot meals. It was difficult at many times, but wherever we could, we tried to hear their stories and see them as individuals, it was especially tough to see whole families on the street but that wasn't uncommon. After the initial bit of help, the ministries did our best to maintain contacts with social workers and local government to help with job placement, we were liaisons so that was an important role

Upvote 0