Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
[Jas 1:27]

'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'
[Mat 25:34-36]

By setting forth to all the world the good works of his faithful servants, the Sovereign Judge silences the murmurs of the reprobate, who might otherwise object that they had it not in their power to do good. In the same manner, the conduct of the wise virgins was the condemnation of the foolish ones; the diligence of the faithful servant, of the sloth and drunkenness of the idle one; the zeal of the servants who multiplied the talents entrusted to them, of his that hid his talent in the ground; and the fervour of the observers of the commandments, of the negligence and remissness of those who are ever transgressing them. (St. John Chrysostom, hom. lxxx.)

These works of mercy, says St. Augustine, prevail towards life everlasting, and to the blotting out of former sins; in Psalm 49.

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of the Sons of Korah.
Hear this, all peoples! Give ear, all inhabitants of the world, both low and high, rich and poor together! My mouth shall speak wisdom; the meditation of my heart shall be understanding. I will incline my ear to a proverb; I will solve my riddle to the music of the lyre. Why should I fear in times of trouble, when the iniquity of my persecutors surrounds me, men who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches? Truly no man can ransom himself, or give to God the price of his life, for the ransom of his life is costly, and can never suffice, that he should continue to live on for ever, and never see the Pit. Yea, he shall see that even the wise die, the fool and the stupid alike must perish and leave their wealth to others. Their graves are their homes for ever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they named lands their own. Man cannot abide in his pomp, he is like the beasts that perish. This is the fate of those who have foolish confidence, the end of those who are pleased with their portion. [Selah] Like sheep they are appointed for Sheol; Death shall be their shepherd; straight to the grave they descend, and their form shall waste away; Sheol shall be their home. But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol, for he will receive me. [Selah] Be not afraid when one becomes rich, when the glory of his house increases. For when he dies he will carry nothing away; his glory will not go down after him. Though, while he lives, he counts himself happy, and though a man gets praise when he does well for himself, he will go to the generation of his fathers, who will never more see the light. Man cannot abide in his pomp, he is like the beasts that perish.​
[Psa 49:1-20]

Reactions: RandyPNW

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
[Jas 1:27]
If we claim God's name, that may just be temporary and not decisive. What is decisive is taking on the qualities of the God we serve. James says it so well--we don't just practice dead religion, or wooden religion. Instead, we are sincere from the heart, and show the love that is in God and is also in us.

The Psalm you quote also says it so well. The major thing in our repentance and in our receiving mercy from God is in the resurrection, in participating legally in the resurrection of Christ. Overcoming death is necessary if we are to have Eternal Life and eternal fellowship with God on the new physical earth.

And how can we be assured that we have the legal papers to obtain Christ's resurrection? It is by showing that we are truly converted, and have truly repented. It is by showing those very quality traits of God that indicate we have accepted His spiritual life in place of our own carnal life and independence. Thank you!

Upvote 0