Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And again, you cannot do the same damage with a rock that you can do with N AK-47. If you have proof to the contrary please offer it.
You cannot do the damage with a rock with few exceptions such as purposefully burring people you can however do the same or even worse damage with a car or lethal gas or really anything that you turned into a bomb of some kind.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is as a reply to one of your posts. for some reason normal quote did not work.

There are too many weapons for that work. As for 21 age to purchase may be fine on the condition that the age to enlist in the military is 21. What sense does it make to say you can die for country and if you are a male you can be drafted, but you cannot buy guns, yet they give you guns and shock train you how to use them in the service.

As it relates to the weapons used in these cases they were ( as far as I know regular weapons like handguns or something like that.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
but, if you are talking about those types of homicides the person is usually only killing a few people at a time.
Tell that to the school shooting victims in Colorado, in Virginia, in Florida that it was alright for the shooter to have a gun because he only killed a few of them. I suspect that the families of those killed would disagree.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You cannot do the damage with a rock with few exceptions such as purposefully burring people you can however do the same or even worse damage with a car or lethal gas or really anything that you turned into a bomb of some kind.
First, you need to meet certain requirements to drive a car. In many cases you can buy a gun without meeting any requirements.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tell that to the school shooting victims in Colorado, in Virginia, in Florida that it was alright for the shooter to have a gun because he only killed a few of them. I suspect that the families of those killed would disagree.
That was my what I was saying either. I was saying usually in heated agruement cases the person only kills the people involved, as opposed yo just randomly doing stuff.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is as a reply to one of your posts. for some reason normal quote did not work.

There are too many weapons for that work. As for 21 age to purchase may be fine on the condition that the age to enlist in the military is 21. What sense does it make to say you can die for country and if you are a male you can be drafted, but you cannot buy guns, yet they give you guns and shock train you how to use them in the service.

As it relates to the weapons used in these cases they were ( as far as I know regular weapons like handguns or something like that.
And in some states a waiter or waitress can serve alcohol even if they are under 21. They just can’t drink what they are serving. What is your point?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That was my what I was saying either. I was saying usually in heated agruement cases the person only kills the people involved, as opposed yo just randomly doing stuff.
But in some of theses school shootings the person was targeting a specific person but shot others in the process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
First, you need to meet certain requirements to drive a car. In many cases you can buy a gun without meeting any requirements.
but the people who do harm do not care about those requirements and would either get them on the black market, steal them or find another method. Just like cars. I cannot lawfully drive a car ( for a number of reasons), yet if I did not care about the law (or in this case my own safety as well I would not care that I did not meet those requirements, and may not even care about who else is hurt in my decisions.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And in some states a waiter or waitress can serve alcohol even if they are under 21. They just can’t drink what they are serving. What is your point?
If someone is old enough to die for our RIGHT to bear arms and has been trained ( and clearly has already passed strict background checks from the recruiter, to MEPS, to basic training then why should they not be able to trust them with guns when we know they have been trained in the safe use of them.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not gonna be debating God and his role in the evil of this world or whatever. What I am going to say is something that needs to be said.

We've had yet another school shooting this morning in Texas. We've had yet another wicked, truly evil person walk in freely and murder eight students. If that does not outrage you, you are not human and have no pulse.

The last thing we need to offer are just "thoughts and prayers." Thoughts and prayers are not enough anymore. God hates gun violence. Period. And so should we.

How many school shootings is it going to take for the church to wake up to the fact that there are truly evil people in this world? That Satan has made it clear he is not going to play fair? Does it have to go so far as to seeing their own children murdered? I'm all for the second amendment, but is it worth defending at the cost of these kids lives?

Bottomline, this is all outrageous and disgusting. All of us, liberals, conservatives, Christians, Atheists, whatever! We all need to start sending demands our police and politicians and gun manufacturers, "DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!"
Not speaking for all Christians I was inspired by the Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Florida. Within a week they were at the White House and the Florida State Legislature and they did get results, at least in Florida. Legislation isn't enough, we really need to give some thought to what goes into a moral consensus and how the values of our country are being undermined.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But in some of theses school shootings the person was targeting a specific person but shot others on the process.
and sometimes people do, but often many shootings are either suicide or have a particular target that is not done in public ( at least not in the same sense as a school) like gang shootings and the like.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not speaking for all Christians I was inspired by the Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Florida. Within a week they were at the White House and the Florida State Legislature and they did get results, at least in Florida. Legislation isn't enough, we really need to give some thought to what goes into a moral consensus and how the values of our country are being undermined.
It would also be helpful to focus on mental health as well, as many of these shooters have been on medications and/or people have known about them being unstable and have done nothing.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here is the other thing with the alcohol example. Actually, the drinking age is a state issue the reason that the drinking age is 21 nation wide is because the federal government said they would pull funding for the roads for states that had a lower drinking age. If a state says well we are wiling to pay higher taxes in order to have a lower drinking age the federal government did not forbid that.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It would also be helpful to focus on mental health as well, as many of these shooters have been on medications and/or people have known about them being unstable and have done nothing.
Those people have rights and having mental health issues doesn't make you a killer. That said, I agree, they should be doing more to screen potential gun owners who might have some psychotic episode going on. But lets say I'm going through a bad time, so I decide to sit down with a councilor because I've had a few outbursts, maybe domestic instances or even arrested a couple of times with no charges filed. Let's not discourage someone from seeking help. The Parkland case was unbelievable I might add, the cops had to go to his house all the time and his next door neighbor was scared to death of him.

You really have to think this through, what if someone going through depression has a couple of episodes. A red flag goes up and it turns out the individual was just going through a tough time and then is denied a permit for a gun that would have landed them a pretty good security job.

It comes down to balance, I honestly believe that.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Those people have rights and having mental health issues doesn't make you a killer. That said, I agree, they should be doing more to screen potential gun owners who might have some psychotic episode going on. But lets say I'm going through a bad time, so I decide to sit down with a councilor because I've had a few outbursts, maybe domestic instances or even arrested a couple of times with no charges filed. Let's not discourage someone from seeking help. The Parkland case was unbelievable I might add, the cops had to go to his house all the time and his next door neighbor was scared to death of him.

You really have to think this through, what if someone going through depression has a couple of episodes. A red flag goes up and it turns out the individual was just going through a tough time and then is denied a permit for a gun that would have landed them a pretty good security job.

It comes down to balance, I honestly believe that.
Well, maybe deny them a gun for a certain amount of time ( which could vary based upon whether they had voluntary treatment and/or whether the treatment was inpatient or out patient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, maybe deny them a gun for a certain amount of time ( which could vary based upon whether they had voluntary treatment and/or whether the treatment was inpatient or out patient.
I think just a waiting period is a good idea, 72 hours maybe, long enough to do a good background check. The only way a mental health professional can divulge a confidence is if the patient explicitly describes a planned crime. Don't you think if you were getting ready to shoot up a school, you would keep that from your Psychologist?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think just a waiting period is a good idea, 72 hours maybe, long enough to do a good background check. The only way a mental health professional can divulge a confidence is if the patient explicitly describes a planned crime. Don't you think if you were getting ready to shoot up a school, you would keep that from your Psychologist?
but if someone is ACTIVELY undergoing mental health treatment ( especially if he or she is having to try different medications to get the balance right they probably do not need to have guns. On the other hand if someone has been on the same medication for months or years and has been complying and taking the medication as prescribed then such a person probably would be OK to pass a background check on the mental end.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
but if someone is ACTIVELY undergoing mental health treatment ( especially if he or she is having to try different medications to get the balance right they probably do not need to have guns. On the other hand if someone has been on the same medication for months or years and has been complying and taking the medication as prescribed then such a person probably would be OK to pass a background check on the mental end.
Maybe, maybe not. Who gets to decide what is a red flag and what is not and do you really want to burden the system with ever head med prescription? The cops come out to your house dozens of times, the neighbors are scared to death of you, you can still pass a background check unless your charged. An awful lot of people struggle with addiction and depression, so they go in for treatment, do they get red flagged? Because if they do chances are a lot of people will decide against treatment.

When I was in the National Guards we had a lot of guys working the air ports in the wake of 911. They way they handled a lot of situations was to over react, so the airports started hiring retired cops.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
but the people who do harm do not care about those requirements and would either get them on the black market, steal them or find another method. Just like cars. I cannot lawfully drive a car ( for a number of reasons), yet if I did not care about the law (or in this case my own safety as well I would not care that I did not meet those requirements, and may not even care about who else is hurt in my decisions.
Using that logic nothing should be illegal. People will commit crimes such as murder, rape, etc. so why have laws against them.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Using that logic nothing should be illegal. People will commit crimes such as murder, rape, etc. so why have laws against them.
Yes, people will break the law no matter what, but the thing is that the people who break the law will not care how hard something is to get and the people who can be trusted with guns can be trusted with just about any gun. This is why I say instead of banning guns ( of any type) why not impose stricter penalties on those who choose to misuse them among with with having more of a mental health focus

Upvote 0