What's your garden like at this time of year?

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Very pleased with the hanging baskets and most plants are doing okay, but the antirrhinum has died. I think I planted it in compost which was too heavy, but was good for some plants which prefer a richer soil - hence the begonias doing well last year.

Snails and slugs have been eating the leaves :eek: so regrettably I decided I would have to get rid of them and decided to use the bowl of beer method. So far there has been under-age drinking as only two baby slugs have been found drowned in the bowl! I did see two snails heading that way, but either they thought better of it or they've gone home nursing a headache!

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a shame about the antirrhinum, Sue. Never mind as it sounds like the rest of your garden and baskets are thriving beautifully. Everything here is in rest mode, I guess you could say. Even the lawn is only needing to be mowed about once a month at present. There are no flowers at all at our new place, except for the flowers on the camellias, which are pretty.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, I was sorry about the antirrhinum, as they were one of my father's favourite plants and it reminded me of him. Never mind, he liked plenty of others. :)

Camellias are lovely, I agree. I guess you will soon be planning your planters, js? :)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I was sorry about the antirrhinum, as they were one of my father's favourite plants and it reminded me of him. Never mind, he liked plenty of others. :)

Camellias are lovely, I agree. I guess you will soon be planning your planters, js? :)

Possibly, Sue. :) I have plans, but whether they actually come to fruition remains to be seen. It's been so long since I actually planted anything at all, having lived in homes where the plantings were already in place, comprising trees and shrubs in the main. Getting back to planting flowers will be different. :D The planter boxes here are small and there are only two, so I may go for a few potted plants outside as well. Green is beautiful, but on occasion I do crave colour in the form of pretty flowers. My father will help me decide what to plant when I go and visit him soon. He has the greenest thumb of anyone I know. I have a feeling he will suggest silverbeet and tomatoes. :)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I've enjoyed planting flowers in troughs and pots; the bit of colour makes such a difference. I've learnt to make sure I water them in (the occasional :D) dry weather though. :)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, watering is essential. My father has sprinkler hoses throughout his flower beds. The hose is positioned near the planter boxes and the deck here, so should be an easy fix to water when required. What are your favourite annuals, Sue? I have a few which I don't like - petunias being one I'm not fond of cos even though they are quite pretty, they are sort of sticky. I hate handling them. :D

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pruning of bushes and 'trees'
is going to require the use of electric saw this year
Branches and stems are too broad for me to handsaw
or, even to use tree-loppers upon them (too strenuous)
and it is already so-late in the year
ie: Spring growth has already become mature-wood

I will have-to seal 'wounds' with PVA

So much work, yet to be, undertaken

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Like a scorched desert. The rodents this year have been brutal. Only Tomato plants do not get eaten to the roots. I've pulled at least 5 bodies out of the pool skimmer. They come to drink, fall in and drown. I do not remember that happening before. Well perhaps once or twice total.

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe NOT-QUITE as bad as this
but pretty darn close

Wouldn't be so bad, if it were full of Parrots and Birds of Paradise
images

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I've called last orders at the Slug 'n Snail, as the beer has run out. :D It has got rid of a few of them. I hope it's not cruel, but I can't think that it's any worse than slug pellets
Yes, watering is essential. My father has sprinkler hoses throughout his flower beds. The hose is positioned near the planter boxes and the deck here, so should be an easy fix to water when required. What are your favourite annuals, Sue? I have a few which I don't like - petunias being one I'm not fond of cos even though they are quite pretty, they are sort of sticky. I hate handling them. :D
That watering system seems convenient, js. :) There are some things I don't like handling either :eek:, but I usually use gloves. :D I like petunias as they are so easy to grow, also begonias. I love pansies but they seem to have attracted a lot of small insects this year. I tend to plant annuals which have long flowering seasons. Sweet William is a favourite but the season is too short. I've just bought some chrysanthemums - not my favourite, but I couldn't resist their sunshine yellow colour.
What are your favourites, js? :)
So much work, yet to be, undertaken
I hope it's not too difficult a task Dave. :)
Like a scorched desert. The rodents this year have been brutal. Only Tomato plants do not get eaten to the roots. I've pulled at least 5 bodies out of the pool skimmer. They come to drink, fall in and drown. I do not remember that happening before. Well perhaps once or twice total.
Gosh - what a pity. :eek: All your plants eaten, apart from the tomatoes, Keith?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Gosh - what a pity. :eek: All your plants eaten, apart from the tomatoes, Keith?

Yup. Ive gotten used to zombie zuchs, e.g. where the rodents eat teh growing end and it looks like a healthy plant but there will never be any more fruit. This year I started them in a huge cage but a couple of weeks after I removed the cages the plants were badly eaten, and a couple more and there was almost no evidence they had existed. (and this with a rabbit fence).

A good example of an ecosystem out of balance. Coyotes killed off every cat withing miles and many dogs. (mine were safe and might even have enjoyed a battle, but coyotes are not stupid). They finally the coyotes got cut off and now the rodents have no natural enemies until the cat population recovers.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That watering system seems convenient, js. :) There are some things I don't like handling either :eek:, but I usually use gloves. :D I like petunias as they are so easy to grow, also begonias. I love pansies but they seem to have attracted a lot of small insects this year. I tend to plant annuals which have long flowering seasons. Sweet William is a favourite but the season is too short. I've just bought some chrysanthemums - not my favourite, but I couldn't resist their sunshine yellow colour.
What are your favourites, js? :)

I love pansies and violas, Sue. I agree that sweet williams are pretty too. Cornflowers are lovely as are stocks and snapdragons.

My mother was very fond of daisies and chrysanthemums. :)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I am at my Dad's home now and I see some of his roses are still flowering, though we're in winter now. And I noticed on the drive here that heaps of trees out in the countryside still have a lot of leaves on them, albeit yellow or red in colour now. Some trees had lost all their leaves and their off-white branches stood out clearly, showing the framework of the trees. Really cool. I love trees.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Yup. Ive gotten used to zombie zuchs, e.g. where the rodents eat teh growing end and it looks like a healthy plant but there will never be any more fruit. This year I started them in a huge cage but a couple of weeks after I removed the cages the plants were badly eaten, and a couple more and there was almost no evidence they had existed. (and this with a rabbit fence).

A good example of an ecosystem out of balance. Coyotes killed off every cat withing miles and many dogs. (mine were safe and might even have enjoyed a battle, but coyotes are not stupid). They finally the coyotes got cut off and now the rodents have no natural enemies until the cat population recovers.
How sad to think of those cats and dogs killed. :( Are there not deterrents to use against the rodents? It must be disheartening to see most of your crops destroyed.

I love pansies and violas, Sue. I agree that sweet williams are pretty too. Cornflowers are lovely as are stocks and snapdragons.

My mother was very fond of daisies and chrysanthemums. :)
I love daisies too. We had them in the garden when I was a child, and I have a Cape Daisy which is doing well.

Well, I am at my Dad's home now and I see some of his roses are still flowering, though we're in winter now. And I noticed on the drive here that heaps of trees out in the countryside still have a lot of leaves on them, albeit yellow or red in colour now. Some trees had lost all their leaves and their off-white branches stood out clearly, showing the framework of the trees. Really cool. I love trees.
The autumnal colours are so beautiful. :)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those ones seem to be a different shape, musicalpilgrim. :) Pretty colour!

Over here, there are camellias and magnolias in full flower right now and daffodils have been sighted. :)

Upvote 0