What's the difference between white and black poverty?

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it education, motivation, health, behavior, or racism?

An anti-intellectual culture. I have heard stories from black people, especially those with high IQs being harassed for not "acting black" and instead acting "white". Which is a ridiculous notion. Whatever they mean, being passionate about learning and science is not a "white" thing. In fact many east Asians do it better than us whites, lol. Personally I have always felt bad for the black people who want to be individuals, especially black men. They have to deal with so many pressures wanting them to conform, meanwhile being a generic white guy I can easily slip into many boxes that fit me. Hopefully men like Neil DeGrasse Tyson provide much needed role models for such people.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
An anti-intellectual culture. I have heard stories from black people, especially those with high IQs being harassed for not "acting black" and instead acting "white".
And interestingly it is the left that keeps reminding the blacks how downtrodden they are and ridicule those of the Blexit movement. Who benefits?

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An anti-intellectual culture. I have heard stories from black people, especially those with high IQs being harassed for not "acting black" and instead acting "white". Which is a ridiculous notion. Whatever they mean, being passionate about learning and science is not a "white" thing. In fact many east Asians do it better than us whites, lol. Personally I have always felt bad for the black people who want to be individuals, especially black men. They have to deal with so many pressures wanting them to conform, meanwhile being a generic white guy I can easily slip into many boxes that fit me. Hopefully men like Neil DeGrasse Tyson provide much needed role models for such people.
They need to see those role models in their own communities speaking in their schools, at the basketball court, etc. Men that they can actually talk to face to face.
I wonder if Sen. Cory Booker gets involved with the youth in his community?

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And interestingly it is the left that keeps reminding the blacks how downtrodden they are and ridicule those of the Blexit movement. Who benefits?

Blexit? I had to google that. That conservative movement within the black community? Not sure if I agree with a Blexit, but I do think it's healthy for black people to diversify. While not a conservative I do admire people who go against the grain and think for themselves.

I do agree though, psychologically I do not know how helpful constantly pushing victimization about towards black is. For white children it can cause an undeserved white guilt complex, like the one I developed through my schooling years. For black people constantly hearing about how downtrodden they are might ruin their self esteem, cause unneeded anger and might contribute to substance abuse. A type of sadomasochism from the left that needs to be more seriously analyzed.

I can understand black people feeling like they have to try harder, probably true for any minority. Yet I doubt there is very much pressure coming from the white community making them not succeed academically as well as whites and for whatever reason leaving the east Asians on top.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They need to see those role models in their own communities speaking in their schools, at the basketball court, etc. Men that they can actually talk to face to face.
I wonder if Sen. Cory Booker gets involved with the youth in his community?

I am sure that has been done for decades. Neil DeGrasse Tyson simply being the new host on the Cosmos reboot is more powerful than anything in my mind. I admire how he tries to stay away from discussing race issues, something he has publically stated he likes to avoid talking about. He's just a human being who is into the universe. Black men and women doing their own thing instead of giving us another tired lecture about racism is more of a step in the right direction and will speak for itself. I'm not arguing for total color blindness, but I think there is a happy medium to traverse.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For white children it can cause an undeserved white guilt complex, like the one I developed through my schooling years.
It worked effectively for the Jews but they had to lose 6 million of their own to take advantage of it. Others trying the same guilt trip are not finding it as effective. It is time for all people to act responsibly, especially when they have already gained the right to better themselves.

A new vanguard.. Blexit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being registered in school is compulsory up to a certain age, but doesn't in itself do anything about disparities in the tax base (you'll do a lot better if you're going to school in Malibu than in Compton), and doesn't do anything to help a child whose family and other more immediate influences set a lot of roadblocks in the way of his education -- say, if his parents never had much of an education themselves (and hence don't value it), or his neighborhood doesn't have a well-maintained and safe library, or his wider culture devalues reading and learning as 'white people stuff', etc.

You've identified some of the problems, now what to do about it. :scratch:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But some are more effective in dealing with it - Jews, Asians, Whites are not having such problems, even when being a minority.

Those groups have been at it longer.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Those in the high income subdivisions aren't heading to prison or the cemetery for pursuing their idols.

Sometimes they have. Bernie Madoff, Jeffrey Skilling, Michael Milken, and Jeffrey Epstein come to mind. Former VP Spiro Agnew was nailed for tax evasion. (Though he didn't go to prison.) But heck, even Martha Stewart did time for insider trading.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes they have. Bernie Madoff, Jeffrey Skilling, Michael Milken, and Jeffrey Epstein come to mind. Former VP Spiro Agnew was nailed for tax evasion. (Though he didn't go to prison.) But heck, even Martha Stewart did time for insider trading.

Sometimes yes.

Speaking of Martha Stewart. I missed the boat when she went to prison and her stock fell. I should have gone all in on it as I knew in my heart that it would rebound when she got back to work. She was and is a much loved figure. :(

Upvote 0