What's the difference between white and black poverty?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I meant the inequality of wealth. A few less billionaires, please.

The tipping point is closer to $50,000 than $billions.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A few less billionaires, please.
That's the point. There are only a few of them. Perhaps the majority should stop giving them their money.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Isn't education compulsory up to a certain age?

Being registered in school is compulsory up to a certain age, but doesn't in itself do anything about disparities in the tax base (you'll do a lot better if you're going to school in Malibu than in Compton), and doesn't do anything to help a child whose family and other more immediate influences set a lot of roadblocks in the way of his education -- say, if his parents never had much of an education themselves (and hence don't value it), or his neighborhood doesn't have a well-maintained and safe library, or his wider culture devalues reading and learning as 'white people stuff', etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being registered in school is compulsory up to a certain age, but doesn't in itself do anything about disparities in the tax base (you'll do a lot better if you're going to school in Malibu than in Compton), and doesn't do anything to help a child whose family and other more immediate influences set a lot of roadblocks in the way of his education -- say, if his parents never had much of an education themselves (and hence don't value it), or his neighborhood doesn't have a well-maintained and safe library, or his wider culture devalues reading and learning as 'white people stuff', etc.

They need to overcome all that; "stand in the gap" so to speak.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
They need to overcome all that.

Well yeah. I was just listing a few of the ways that the law being what it is isn't the end of the story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
say, if his parents never had much of an education themselves (and hence don't value it), or his neighborhood doesn't have a well-maintained and safe library, or his wider culture devalues reading and learning as 'white people stuff', etc.
So how does that shift responsibility from those mentioned onto others or the nation as a whole? Do lack of education and lack of responsibility go hand in hand?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:scratch:

I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about what I've already posted.

Ok, I get it. Sorry.

I would think that as long as they have to be in a classroom they might as well pay attention to what is being taught. It might come in handy some day.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Or race or culture. There are not many rich and succesful black countries.
Race aside, it is interesting how people in general flock to the civilisations Caucasians have built. If those civilizations were so enticing, why the desire to now tear them down?

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Race aside, it is interesting how people in general flock to the civilisations Caucasians have built. If those civilizations were so enticing, why the desire to now tear them down?
I do not think this question has some simple answer. It will be some complex mix of internal hatred towards the succesful majority, the disappointment from own personal failures and probably many other psychological and cultural aspects of those minorities they mostly bring with themselves from their home countries.

Upvote 0