Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
After returning to CF lately after many years, I've noticed sadly that Singles is very negative and not really a nice place for female posters. Too many discussions about what is wrong with women,etc. It is also interesting that there are not many active female posters like there once was. Just a thought.
For what it's worth, most of this negativity seems to be coming from a handful of relatively new people. It's hard to tell whether they're trolling or genuinely believe what they're saying. In some cases, people involved with certain social movements visit message boards and social media with the intention of recruiting others to their cause. In other cases they might be spreading disinformation or deliberately trying to be divisive.

I'd recommend using the ignore feature. If somebody seems to be looking for a reaction, recruiting for a dubious cause, or consistently causing trouble, block them.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For what it's worth, most of this negativity seems to be coming from a handful of relatively new people. It's hard to tell whether they're trolling or genuinely believe what they're saying. In some cases, people involved with certain social movements visit message boards and social media with the intention of recruiting others to their cause. In other cases they might be spreading disinformation or deliberately trying to be divisive.

I'd recommend using the ignore feature. If somebody seems to be looking for a reaction, recruiting for a dubious cause, or consistently causing trouble, block them.
I am not ashamed to say I have a big list of people I put on Ignore. But it's more b/c I don't have the patience to tolerate purposefully naive people or people looking for a fight.

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟96,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have definitely noticed a lot of angry, women-hating threads lately… but I think whether they’re trolls or misogynists, the best thing to do is not to feed them. It’s easy to avoid clicking those angry sounding threads and there’s a lot of folks here who are kind and rational when you tune the others out.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have definitely noticed a lot of angry, women-hating threads lately… but I think whether they’re trolls or misogynists, the best thing to do is not to feed them. It’s easy to avoid clicking those angry sounding threads and there’s a lot of folks here who are kind and rational when you tune the others out.
i don't think it's always so "black and white"
Now I'd hate to say it but the song "people are strange" comes to mind ("women seem wicked when you're unwanted")
I think it's more a matter of current issues within peoples lives,
it doesn't make it right but again I don't know anyone who at some point hadn't felt some kind of bias towards someone or even a whole group of people.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
After returning to CF lately after many years, I've noticed sadly that Singles is very negative and not really a nice place for female posters. Too many discussions about what is wrong with women,etc. It is also interesting that there are not many active female posters like there once was. Just a thought.

Well, it's all a smokescreen. All they're doing is covering up their own (perceived) inadequacies.

Don't let it prevent you from adding value to the place. We need you NOW more than ever.

Reactions: LoveDivine
LoveDivine
LoveDivine
Thank you. I appreciate that. Maybe I need to stick around. Even if just to follow your art career to see if you become the next Rembrandt or Monet :)

( I don't know your art style. Just listed who came to mind)
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

GodDoesListen55

“A happy heart makes the face cheerful.” ッ
Jun 25, 2006
Delaware
✟108,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing happens Unless the LORD allows it to happen,
So can anyone really say they "helped themselves"? :scratch:

That's true; I guess I never thought of that way! Thanks for pointing that out to me!! God bless you!

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I may ask for everyone's prayers that things follow through with work as I am hoping they will sometime soon. I had expressed interest to a supervisor in switching permanently to the other lab section I am trained in, in order to conceivably get away from some low-key anxiety inducers such as the loud radio next door, and because I was just starting to feel burnt out in general after being in my current section for over four years now, ever since I first came to this job.

When I got to work yesterday evening I found that some changes are set to be made around the lab this year, such that many positions will be switched around, thus (at least possibly, assuming everything goes through as the manager is foreseeing) opening up a position on another crew entirely in the lab section I was hoping to go. I can see a lot of beneficial value and future headaches avoided in my coming to this particular spot. Should the Lord be willing to make it so.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I feel like it's been dead around here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think the issue with the singles forum is it can be interpreted as a place for singles or a place to talk about being single. So you have a lot of people treating it as a general forum then those using it as a singleness discussion forum.

Presumably at one point the married users were more active and it made sense to have things separated. Now I'm not sure it really does. Currently the life stages forums seem like an unnecessary fracturing of the user base. One that unintentionally emphasizes being single since its more common these days. The singleness discussions lead to divisive conversations. Closing them down (not deleting, just locking them I guess you'd call it) and refocusing on a general discussion format could help direct the dialogue elsewhere.

Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟96,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Been musing a little lately about having another baby (on my own). Today someone in my small group told me out of nowhere “you make beautiful babies!” Makes me wonder if it’s a sign in that direction or if I just want it to be… haha

• Informative
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I took 4 years of Spanish in high school. I can read it pretty good but I understand very very little when I hear it. Trying to watch some kids shows in Spanish.
It's frustrating turning Spanish subtitles on & then being able to understand it.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I took 4 years of Spanish in high school. I can read it pretty good but I understand very very little when I hear it. Trying to watch some kids shows in Spanish.
It's frustrating turning Spanish subtitles on & then being able to understand it.
I have a problem with hearing too on foreign languages. Do you possibly have a hearing impairment of some sort? I definitely do in the left ear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a problem with hearing too on foreign languages. Do you possibly have a hearing impairment of some sort? I definitely do in the left ear.
Maybe a tiny bit.

One time I looked up 'why can read Spanish but not understand speakers'? There's a lot of reasons. English is just spoken very different. Spanish IS indeed spoken faster & more slurred. Reading it is easier to pick up tenses. Plus smaller words that can get slurred or define sentence structure.

Upvote 0

PinkPearl

Jan 5, 2014
✟25,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't trust anyone anymore. I used to have a friend who stood me up. They will always tell me how much they wanted to see me, and then we would make plans to hang out, and then during the day of meeting they didn't inform me that there's a change of plans, and I ended up going to the venue, and they didn't turn up at the venue. And then I called them, and then they last minute told me that they can't make it, after I've already travelled all the way there. They did this to me over and over again that now I can no longer trust anyone anymore.
I'll be meeting a friend in a few days' time, but I've already prepared myself that they might end up standing me up too,. I better start preparing a bunch of back-up plans for myself on that day just in case they turned out flakey and unreliable too. I really don't trust anyone anymore, most humans are too disappointing. I can only trust in God now.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Y'all, I'm so glad the holidays are over. It's just my sister and I, but I've been cooking for a family of ten since Thanksgiving. I'm not going through the holidays without good food and sweets, if I can help it. I also have elderly neighbors that I share with, which helps me justify the perpetual feast, but it's out of hand. I cooked a whole crockpot of black-eyed peas for the New Year because that's what you do. But, y'all, we've been eating black-eyed peas for a week. I don't need that much luck, seriously. I broke down and ate a simple salad last night and it was glorious! I can't wait until Lent lol. I'm going to start fasting this week. Serious.

You know what it is? For all practical purposes, we just have each other, except for one uncle. I think I'm trying to make it nice by making sure we have lots of good food. I need a better plan because I went overboard. My sister even said, "Hey, it's just us; do we need all this?" Um, yeah, now get out of my kitchen. Lol

LoveDivine
LoveDivine
That sounds super festive though :) Food is very important in my family. I have so many great memories of my mom's cooking for special occasions and holidays. Traditions and memories like that are important. We had tons of food too. Our newest tradition is to gather at my place on Christmas Eve ( I do the cooking ) and then for a big meal Christmas Day at my parents' house. January is a diet month lol
Upvote 0
Upvote 0