the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen many people use this verse out-of-context. The context is idolatry.

1 Corinthians 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Up until this verse, Paul has been detailing how liberty and love interact with each other. So, while all things are lawful, Paul demonstrates that love ultimately trumps liberty. A primary example throughout is participation in pagan temple feasts. These feasts included food and wine that was offered to idols and temple prostitution.

Many believers were participating in these festivities and were doing two things:
1. Splitting their religious allegiance between Christ and another "deity".
2. Stumbling their weaker brothers by emboldening them to do the same.

Paul concedes that these activities are not innately immoral (1 Corinthians 8:8), but depending on the context, these activities can damage our relationship with God and damage other's relationship with God. The solution is boiled down...

1 Corinthians 10:31
...whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

This resolves the two issues I listed above and encapsulates Christ's love command of loving God and loving others. On the first issue, God is the only real deity. Glorifying God means having sole allegiance to Him. Do not engage in activities that could be interpreted by others as having communion with another god. This in turn resolves the second issue.

Paul is saying, God is the one who deserves glory, not idols or demons. Whatever you do, in the context of worship, do ONLY to the glory of God.

I have constructed a few questions using a retooled version of Paul's rhetorical question in 1 Corinthians 10:22 we can ask ourselves to ensure we are following this advice.

Is this going to provoke God's jealousy?
Is this going to encourage my neighbor to provoke God's jealousy?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This resolves the two issues I listed above and encapsulates Christ's love command of loving God and loving others. On the first issue, God is the only real deity. Glorifying God means having sole allegiance to Him. Do not engage in activities that could be interpreted by others as having communion with another god. This in turn resolves the second issue.

If I go to a halal restaurant, or Indian, or whatever, and I choose an exotic food, the first thing I do is bless it, and ask God's favor upon it. At that point in time, I don't care what idols the food has been offered to, it becomes Christian food offered to God. When I eat it, it becomes Christian ME!

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I go to a halal restaurant, or Indian, or whatever, and I choose an exotic food, the first thing I do is bless it, and ask God's favor upon it. At that point in time, I don't care what idols the food has been offered to, it becomes Christian food offered to God. When I eat it, it becomes Christian ME!

That's funny, but you are missing the point. Food is not anything but food. There is no such thing as "Christian" food. Paul is only concerned about the context in which this food is being consumed.

For example, I live close to a Buddhist temple. Once a week they offer the community a free feast. This is done as a religious act of charity. There is a huge stature of Buddha sitting in the back of the room with offerings all around. The monks go around and offer prayer and blessings.

This is the context Paul warns about.

Upvote 0

Apex

Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another popular verse found within this same chapter and often quoted out-of-context is:

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

What was Paul just talking about? Verse 7: Do not be idolaters as some of them were...
What does the very next verse say? Verse 14: Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.

In context, Paul has in mind the allurement of idolatry and associated activities enumerated in 10:6-10. Such temptations were common to ancient man. By persisting in attendance at the cultic feasts with pagan friends, Gentile converts have put themselves in grave danger of falling (v.12), but this temptation is not of such a nature that they must succumb to it. We see Paul contrasting God's faithfulness with the human tendency to be unfaithful. God always provides his people with a choice to turn back to Him. The way of escape is His grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is the context Paul warns about.

Are you saying that Buddhist prayers are stronger than Christian prayers? I would never attend such a function, but hey, it doesn't offend my sensibilities.

Upvote 0

Apex

Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that Buddhist prayers are stronger than Christian prayers? I would never attend such a function, but hey, it doesn't offend my sensibilities.

I'm just repeating what Paul is saying.

1 Corinthians 10:19-20
What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons.

The food isn't the issue, its the spiritual company.

Upvote 0

Apex

Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In further support of my OP, in Romans we also see Paul identify misplaced glorification in the context of worship. God alone is seen worthy of receiving glory during worship. As such, in contexts outside of dedicated worship, such as taking a shower, drinking coffee, or driving a car, we do not have to concern ourselves with if we are adhering to 1 Corinthians 10:31. The concern is with appropriately giving glory to the proper deity (God) within worship activities.

Romans 1:21-23
For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apex

Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This also helps us understand 1 Corinthians 6:20b: So glorify God in your body.

The entire section of 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 is dealing with a specific type of inappropriate contenteia (sexual immorality). While most interpret this passage without idolatry in mind, this is a mistake. With the temple imagery (v.19) and the split in allegiance between the "prostitute" and Christ (v.15), this section closely resembles the argument Paul makes about food offered to idols a few chapters up. If Paul is speaking of temple prostitutes, in 6:15-16, used during temple feasts, this section is actually an extension of the larger discourse on idolatry found throughout this letter. If so, to "glorify God in your body" is found within the context of worship too.

Upvote 0