What will Modern Worship V2.0 look like?

Slothman

Nice 'n' easy for Jesus
Apr 16, 2020
Derbyshire
✟21,176.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do very much think that the worship team should remember they are a part of and not apart from the day to day church family and as such still have a responsibility to welcome and minister in other, less obvious ways, However, for some reason, likely stemming from some traditionalist and dare I say outdated views on worship, in some churches any attempt at excellence or achieving a high standard is viewed as somehow insincere and the P word (performance) little less than heresy.
Don't misunderstand me, I do not condone performance for performance sake i.e. self serving but we all, including my minister (by his own admission) 'perform' to a certain degree in order to put across the message in such a way as to both engage and inspire those listening. Surely worship music deserves no less? It's not false or insincere, just effective ministry and our Lord himself used effective communication (which is all performance is really) to reach people.

Good musical worship is like the bait on the hook as we fish for men and women.
If we want to keep only the older, more traditional members happy and nothing else then we should be prepared for a church to decrease as the congregation does.
To attract newer, younger members we need to bait the hook with something they like and will want to be part of?
Music is a universal language but we need to make sure the dialect is pitched for the demographic we want to attract. If you want people to want to be at your church then show them what they are missing, make them think 'I want some of that'.
Of course there is nothing wrong with traditional worship hymns but they need mixing up with modern music if you want a mixed age and type of congregation. This modern music must be done well though as it just doesn't suit half heart-ed, poorly played and sung approaches, in that way it is less forgiving than an old hymn but done well can be at least as powerful and moving and in most cases more so.
Simply telling people that they should just repent, study and sing hymns older than their great grandparents may make some feel pious and superior (and perhaps safe?) but it will do nothing to grow a vibrant church with a mixed and exciting membership all on-fire for Christ!
They may initially be attracted by and come for the worship but they will stay for the Lord and the fellowship.
This doesn't mean their faith is shallow or less sincere than anyone else's but they will want to worship in their way and if it's not being offered by your church then they'll go somewhere else where it is. If that doesn't bother you then that's between you and the Lord but don't complain and blame anyone else when your church is dull, lifeless and even dying.

My personal frustrations base around the fact that many worship teams seem to not only undervalue but actually frown upon a singer or guitarist etc. that has genuine ability and try's to fully utilise it for Gods glory.
If self glorification were the aim then trust me secular bands are far easier to attain it in, I've been there.
For some reason singing seems to be something that anyone is allowed to get up and do with a worship team, regardless of their ability or in most cases inability to do so. Yet I would argue that singing is at the heart of musical ministry as it is the voice that sings and actually expresses the words of praise.
I'm not into Christian Karaoke as such where anyone can have a go. If it's your calling then go for it but if not it is both painful for the congregation and frustrating to those who can actually sing within the team but can't be heard due to someone wailing down a microphone and vocally stamping all over what could have been nice vocals or harmonies.
I have been in teams where the worship 'leader' lacked any of the characteristics one would expect and wish for from that position.
Here are a few characteristics of one 'leader' in particular:-
  • They did not respond to emails/texts etc. and ignored most suggestions of new songs or ideas sent to them. However, they sometimes suggested those same ideas a few months down the line as their own!
  • They had never played or sang outside church in their life and had no idea of how a song should be put across and absolutely no idea, yet alone ability to express feeling or passion in music or to interpret it outside the sheet music .
  • They were a slave to the 'dots' on the page and unable and unwilling to interpret songs outside the music sheets.
  • They never engaged with the congregation or prayed or spoke during worship at all, not even eye contact with the congregation. If we as worship leaders cannot express passion and excitement for our God and his gift of salvation then how can we expect the congregation to do so? Sometimes we perform 'Oh happy day' like it is anything but. When I sing I want my brothers and sisters to know how I feel and to want to be where I am, in that special place of worship and fellowship with my God. If I have never been there myself, how can I lead someone else there?
  • They adopted a music teacher approach to practices etc. Actuality they were a music teacher, which is not always a good thing in spirit led worship. (see comment about being a slave to the'dots' and sheet music.)
  • When they did/could not attend rehearsals on a Wednesday night they still expected to lead on Sunday and usually wanted to change everything we'd practised on Wednesday in the absence of both themselves or indeed any instructions in lieu of their absence.
  • They never attended church when not leading or singing/playing! This was noted by the minister.
  • When absent they did not delegate or ensure all was in order and organised before heading off to wherever for the weekend, leaving the church without a team as no arrangements had been made or deputy appointed.
  • They insisted that everyone sing every song, all the way through rather than having a lead and backing etc. This led to a free for all approach to singing...a cacophony. The sound guys did not step up with this either so everyone was set up as a 'lead' vocal.
  • Her high pitched 'shrill' and often flat voice (comments from members of the congregation) was always ramped up and sliced across everything else.
  • She refused to adapt keys to suit the singers but instead insisted everything was in very low keys that would only suit the older members of the church. This ensured that the decent singers could not sing in their comfort zone and therefore not at their best, thus negating any competition perceived by the 'leader'.
Don't get me wrong, she was/is a very nice person in most aspects but as a worship leader, totally inappropriate and out of her depth and refusing to adopt or entertain new ideas and methods.
The minister agreed with all my points but was so intimidated by the church council (who were all old school and liked mundane, traditional worship and resented any change) that he felt he couldn't do anything about it.
I stepped down eventually as it was frankly doing my head in and hindering the church growth.

Am I a bad person? That's your opinion to form of course and we all fall far short of the glory of God, but I believe I have a calling and I am passionate about it. I have little patience for people who enter into a ministry, supposedly to serve, and yet do not give it everything. If you are too busy, over committed or just not that into it then just don't do it and leave room for those who are passionate to do it 100%. I'd rather have two people giving it 100% effort and commitment than several just going through the motions and the end results demonstrating that to be the case! Even worse, the few making the effort carrying those just playing at it.
I lost count of how many times we rehearsed on a Wednesday evening with more than one or two team members missing....the same ones usually, or we were sent a song to learn via YouTube or another platform and a week later at rehearsal nobody except myself and perhaps one other had actually even listened to it, never mind actually learnt it! Then we spent the whole night listening to it and messing around with chord/keys/notes/tuning up etc. and not actually perfecting it. Then Sunday morning they had still not listened to it and not practised at home and again we spent the precious our before the service doing the same thing again, either for the benefit of those who didn't bother coming to practice on Wednesday or the fact that no one could remember what they did on Wednesday and often didn't even turn up until 15 minutes before the service.
I often thought 'why am I bothering with this Lord?' and felt like I had wasted my time with a bunch of people who clearly didn't care much about it and therefore were clearly not anointed or called.
I believe music is a calling and if called the problem should not be getting people to attend rehearsals but rather keeping them away!!!

I sing with all I am every time I sing. I know no other way but to give everything for He who gave everything or me.
This song says it all....'With all I am'

Last edited:
Upvote 0