Visit site
✟3,986.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Growing up, what type of school did you attend? If you were able to go back, would you change where you went? Did your Christian beliefs ever clash with the curriculum (ie. evolution/sex ed)? Would you want your kids to attend the same type of school?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I went to a public school. I wasn't as hardcore of a young earth creationist as I am now when I took biology. As for sex ed in health class, I knew what I believed.

But I'm not sure if I'd send my children to public schools when I have them. They are getting more liberal all the time. I know they did a good job of teaching me not to be racist. Good for them. However, public schools seem to be embracing the homosexual cause. I do not want my children to be taught that homosexuality is OK and that Mom and Dad are bigots because they say it is sinful.

Upvote 0

Misnomer

Apr 19, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟16,192.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went to public. There were ups and downs (like there would be with any type of schooling).
If I ever have kids and have the means I'll either send them to public (if it's a good district, private (other), or private Christian. It all will depend on the child and the school.

Upvote 0

Crono

Feb 9, 2002
Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went to a private Christian school from kindergarten through 12th grade. It was fundamentalist in the most extreme sense of the term, and while I didn't necessarily disagree with it at the time, some of it did make me feel uneasy. Now, I disagree with quite a bit of it.

If I have children, I will most likely send them to a private school. I would prefer that it be a Christian school, but not one like the one I grew up in. I'm not against public school, but depending on the nature of the public schools in my area, I think that a private school would probably provide a better experience.

Upvote 0

BlackSaab52

Nov 29, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
✟602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I went to the same private Christian (Baptist) school from K-4 to 12th grade. I am satisfied with the education I got there. At the time I was there, I accepted the doctrines that my Christian school had taught me, but I've changed my mind about a lot of things I used to believe. If I ever have children, I won't care too much where they go, as long as they get a good education and any negative peer pressure isn't overbearing.

Upvote 0

fishstix

Senior Veteran
Jan 18, 2004
✟19,629.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The elementary school I went to (K-9) was technically a public school. However, it was run much more like a Christian school because years ago it was a Catholic school and when it became a public school it was under the condition that it could continue doing things the way it always had. We said the Lord's Prayer every morning and said grace before lunch each day. We usually also said a prayer at the end of the day as well. We had 'religion' class. It was optional - so if anyone's parents didn't want them taking it they could go work on something else in the school library. To make it more applicable to all the students it was more about Christianity in general than just about Catholicism the way an actual Catholic school might be. We had church services in the school gym once a month - once again optional. Those were open to the entire community. In science class, the subject of atheistic evolution never came up. In health class, we learned about abstinence, rather than 'safe sex'. As far as I know, this school continues on this way to this very day.

My high school (10-12) was actually a combined public school and separate school. ('Separate school' is what they call the Catholic schools here). That is because the area has a fairly sparse population, so there was only one high school that everyone ended up going to, regardless of which type of elementary school they started in. We had the option of taking 'Christian Ethics' as one of our classes. Bibles and other Christian books could be found in the school library. If we wanted to talk about God in class it was acceptable. We could include Christian themes in our writing in English class if we liked. Evolution was taught in biology, but not in such as way as to invalidate the idea of creation. In 'wellness' class, we again learned about abstinence, not that 'everyone is doing it'.

The university I go to is a public university. However, it includes a few Christian colleges - a Catholic one, a Lutheran one, an Anglican one, etc. There is a department of 'religious studies'. This does include all world religions. However there are some classes which are specifically about Christianity and usually taught by Christian professors from one of the Christian colleges. The biology department does push atheistic evolution quite heavily; but other colleges at the university don't as much. Convocation always begins with a prayer, as per university tradition. So do awards banquets and such things. The college that I belong to permits the use of the Bible as a historical reference in scientific papers. For example, if the Bible records a certain crop being grownat a certain point in history, we can use that as evidence that the crop was being grown in the Mediterranean at that time.

If I were to have kids, I would certainly want them to attend the same sort of schools that I did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
I attended both private Christian and public schools and at the end of the day, the only major difference was I had to wear a uniform and attend daily chapel at one.

As far as the curricula, there were no differences when it came to biology or sex ed, although we did have theology classes at the private school.

Upvote 0

chanis

"scru mpt rule cent ...&a
Nov 22, 2004
San Diego
✟16,870.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
InspiredHome said:
Growing up, what type of school did you attend? If you were able to go back, would you change where you went? Did your Christian beliefs ever clash with the curriculum (ie. evolution/sex ed)? Would you want your kids to attend the same type of school?

K-7 public school
8-12 chrisitan private

I think I wouldn't change going to a private school...I was still in sports did the same things as others school did...it was pretty laid back...
When I have kids I think it would just depend on the schools that were around to make that decision....

Upvote 0

tamtam92

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Public school all the way...

I loved going to public school, and i think i was good because somehow it strengthened my beliefs, and i learnt to fight to keep them.
I've been taught evolution - it was really intereting indeed, i don't regret it ; i would have avoid it if i had could, but still it was interesting to know what the evolutionists really say. My teacher was an atheist (it seems she believed what she taught), but she was very respectful for other theories (well, at least she ignored them, which is better than denigrating them). Eventually, i found that evolution was fun, and i've had a good grade at the baccalauréat :). This was when i was taught evolution with a biological point of view.

Later, when studying physics, i've heard more relevant arguments for evolution - well, it wasn't evolution, it was for the theory of Big-Bang. but when i think of it, a Creation in 6 days, on the word of God, surely has some effects similar to a Big-Bang, so this theory isn't stupid at all, after all, hasn't it ?

There has been other subjects i would have liked to avoid - often in biology - but i've never had big big problems. But i know it depends a lot on the teacher, and it's getting worse and worse with the other pupils too. Therefore, i don't know what i'll do if i ever have children.

Upvote 0

Jesus-is-the-1

Got no doubt, boss
Dec 5, 2003
Florida
✟15,341.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
K-7 public school
8 Homeschool
9 Private Christian Boarding school
10-12 Public
College Public

My Mom always let me choose where I wanted to go to school. I tried public, homeschool, and Christian schooling. Overall, I liked and learned the most from the Christian school, but it was far away from my family and I had a hard time living away from my folks at age 14. I decided to go back home and finish in Public schools, only to move several states away and start college! lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
K-6th~ Homeschooled
7, 8, & half of 9~ Public
9-12~ Homeschooled
College~ Some Community College and now homestudy program through Thomson.

Back in the early 80's when I would have been starting Kindergarten we lived in California and the schools were teaching kids about finding their inner guides through meditation and this was starting as young as Kindergarten. Mom and Dad decided that wasn't for me and even though it was against the law they started homeschooling me. I can remember when we moved to the midwest when I was 7, I found it so odd that when someone asked me why I wasn't in school that day it was okay for me to tell them that I was taught at home! Mom and Dad always raised me that my beliefs had to be mine by my choice, not because it was what they believed, and when they felt I understood that and had a firm enough grip on my beliefs then they let me choose. It wasn't till 7th grade that I felt like God wanted me to go to the public school, and although Mom struggled with it they agreed and let me go. Boy was that first day an education in itself!! Actually, it was all in PE class...Tiffany sat by me on the bleacher steps and decided to fill me in on proper public school etiquette! I learned some very interesting terms for male anatomy in that discussion and she also let me know that it was okay to act one way at home around my parents because I had to, but I couldn't be that way at school or else I wouldn't have any friends. I think by the end of that year she hung out with a different group then I did and by the time I left that school I barely saw her except passing in the hallways. I was halfway through 9th grade when we moved north of Chicago and I decided that I didn't want to deal with the Chicago style schools so I went back to homeschooling. (I would have been going from a hick town, surrounded by cornfields, country school to a "city" school.)

I'm not sure I'd go back and change any of it...except maybe have a little more self-discipline and not take 2 years to complete my senior year!!! I got a taste of both worlds and both experiences have made me who I am today. I can guarentee you this though, my children will be homeschooled in the beginning and if they ever want to go to a public school we will talk about it and see what the schools in our area are like at that time.

Upvote 0

london boy

Welsh and German blood, English heart
Apr 5, 2004
London, UK, Europe, The World
✟11,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Public all the way - I went to all boys Grammar School from year 7-13. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but would send my kids to the best possible schools for their sake. Couldn't comment on the beliefs, since I accepted Christ at uni.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I attended public school school K-12, and then state university.

However, in an ideal world, my children would be homeschooled for the first few years of their education... maybe through 5th grade. I don't want them to go through what I did durring those years. Kids screamed, teachers yelled, chaos reigned and I suffered through it. Let's just say it wasn't best atmosphere for learning, let alone acquiring productive social skills. I'd prefer my children start out in a loving environment, where they're encouraged to develop their abilities without all the nonsense that goes on in public school. Those first few years are vital, and I think the kids' needs would be better met at home.

Of course, I'd have to meet a woman I'm compatible with, fall in love, get married, and have kids before this becomes an issue.

Sex ed. etc. was fine in the public school I attended. The faculty was upfront about STDs and such. That, combined with what I learned at Church, helped keep me out of trouble.

Upvote 0

gizmo03

Hopeless Dreamer
Aug 17, 2004
Ohio
✟9,018.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Private-Christian here. Was there from 5th-12th grade, and out of all those years, the only time I truly enjoyed myself was my Sophmore and Junior year. And only because we had the most wonderful principal that made everyday at school fun and exciting and you couldn't wait to get to school!!

I think if I could go back and change I'd atleast want to have went to a different school my senior year- the was the most boringiest time at my school!
And I am not sure where I'd want my kids, deffinetely not at the school I went to, possibly another Christian school, just not sure. I know atleast at my school you still dealt with the same things you would at a public school and people use Christian school as a boot camp for the troubled kids.-well they atleast did at my school, the cops were called more out to our school more than they ever were to the public school here in town probably.

Upvote 0

douglasdotyii

Jul 7, 2003
ontario
Visit site
✟7,729.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I went to a public school. I would give it mixed reviews. I attended a Christian university and it changed my life! My children attend a Christian school and God willing always will. I am a teacher and have noticed a huge impact on my past students who have gone on the Christian High Schools versus public ones.

Upvote 0