Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
While I note that you are non-denominational yourself, I think these tips over at Orthodox Christian Fellowship are quite applicable to Christian singles of all types: spend time in prayer and study, serve your church and community, and so on. These are all Biblically-based, of course (e.g., 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Hebrews 6:10-12, etc.), so while they may not address singleness in particular, they are certainly applicable to your question of what a Christian should be doing while they are single. (They are also applicable to what a Christian be doing when they are not single, too.)

Concerning singleness in particular, the Bible addresses this in verses such as Genesis 2:18 (it is not good that man should be alone) and 1 Corinthians 7 (principles of marriage). Singleness is exalted (well, not just singleness, but purposeful celibacy) in St. Paul's epistle, for Paul wishes "that all men were as myself" (i.e., celibate), but recognizes "each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that."

As part of the Thanksgiving prayer of every hour of the daily prayers in the Coptic (Egyptian) tradition in my own Church, we pray thankfully "for every condition, concerning every condition, and in every condition", recognizing that God brings us to every day as we are, and provides every opportunity that we should give thanks for His providence, whether single or not. I would hope having a thankful and happy attitude in general helps no matter your station, as you wait for Him (and him :)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Pray that you find a decent partner. Do you go to church or not? As a last ditch effort I recommend trying a faith based dating site and never losing hope either. You will meet your ideal partner.
I do go to church, its just a subject I was interested in hearing other's opinion on.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
While I was waiting, I read lots of Christian books on marriage and relationship. That way I was learning how to be a Christian wife, be prepared for the common issues so they didn't surprise me, and pick a man that I was able to choose to submit too. I also was able to use this information to find what characteristics I desired in marriage and was able to identify good marriages around me to observe how they dealt with each other in both times of love and times of stress.

This preparation prepared me to walk away from a several men who I loved but I did not think were a good "match" for a forever relationship. One was very hurt at the time but has since thanked me when he realized what I was saying. He is happily married and we are still friends (in an appropriate way).

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think you're doing the number one thing: waiting. So many people do not wait... it's literally basically the main thing God wants in his children who are single.

Stay pure, grow in purity, and patiently wait. And when the time's right, and you see God in another and like that person and they tick the boxes, make your move or be willing to notice their moves and respond.

Pray. Tell God your feelings, your desires. Hope in him, he knows your heart. Sometimes it's just knowing he's listening and working all things out for your good.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What should a Christian be doing while they are single? As far as, what does the Bible say about singleness? Any advice is appreciated.

You might be single forever. Prepare yourself for living a godly single life.

You might get married. Prepare yourself for being a godly wife.

Most of that preparation is exactly the same either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would actually challenge the idea of waiting. To be clear, I mean waiting to meet a lifemate, not waiting for sex, although I'm in favor of that as well. I guess my signature says it more concisely, but I do not view my life as a single person as a waiting period. Do I have the desire to marry someday? Yes. Do some of my personal goals aim toward marriage and having a family? Yes. But I do not in any way operate as though I am waiting for that or putting my life on hold for that. Life will look tremendously different with a spouse and even more different with kids. There are things I can do now that I wouldn't have as much freedom to do with a spouse and a family. So I am going to travel, go to concerts and sporting events, work late, go out and watch the game with a friend, etc. whenever I want to and enjoy that part of life while it's here, and if marriage comes along then I will ride that transition and enjoy the things about marriage that weren't there to enjoy as a single person.

If you view this period of singleness as purgatory, you are going to enter into your next relationship with a lot of expectations that the person you are dating may not necessarily be able to deliver on. The best place you can be when entering into a relationship is in a place of being healthy, fulfilled, grateful, and satisfied with life rather than looking to your partner as the person that is going to deliver you out of the hell/purgatory you have been in for however long. As Jackie Hill Perry has written, “Our sexuality is not our soul, marriage is not heaven, and singleness is not hell.” So we shouldn't live as though they are.

There are difficult emotions to deal with when it comes to singleness, though, and the best thing we can do with those is process them with God in prayer and with other single people who have most likely experienced the same emotions. Singleness is a messy journey, but it's best to remember that we are blessed beyond measure whether a significant other is present in our life or not, and life offers too much to consider marriage the ultimate point of arrival.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would actually challenge the idea of waiting. To be clear, I mean waiting to meet a lifemate, not waiting for sex, although I'm in favor of that as well. I guess my signature says it more concisely, but I do not view my life as a single person as a waiting period. Do I have the desire to marry someday? Yes. Do some of my personal goals aim toward marriage and having a family? Yes. But I do not in any way operate as though I am waiting for that or putting my life on hold for that. Life will look tremendously different with a spouse and even more different with kids. There are things I can do now that I wouldn't have as much freedom to do with a spouse and a family. So I am going to travel, go to concerts and sporting events, work late, go out and watch the game with a friend, etc. whenever I want to and enjoy that part of life while it's here, and if marriage comes along then I will ride that transition and enjoy the things about marriage that weren't there to enjoy as a single person.

If you view this period of singleness as purgatory, you are going to enter into your next relationship with a lot of expectations that the person you are dating may not necessarily be able to deliver on. The best place you can be when entering into a relationship is in a place of being healthy, fulfilled, grateful, and satisfied with life rather than looking to your partner as the person that is going to deliver you out of the hell/purgatory you have been in for however long. As Jackie Hill Perry has written, “Our sexuality is not our soul, marriage is not heaven, and singleness is not hell.” So we shouldn't live as though they are.

There are difficult emotions to deal with when it comes to singleness, though, and the best thing we can do with those is process them with God in prayer and with other single people who have most likely experienced the same emotions. Singleness is a messy journey, but it's best to remember that we are blessed beyond measure whether a significant other is present in our life or not, and life offers too much to consider marriage the ultimate point of arrival.
I agree, I just used that term because that is usually what I hear referred to singleness.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • It is the temptation of all of our hearts to take things into our own hands
  • It is the temptation of all of our hearts that we want things to be settled our way.
  • It is the temptation of all of our hearts that to be in the driver sit
  • It is the temptation of all of our hearts to be in control
  • It is the temptation of all of our hearts not to wait for God's timing.
Yet, falling in that temptation does not honour the God who knows you by name. O yes, you can make the clock strike before the hour by putting your hand there but it would strike wrong. O yes, you can tear open a rosebud before its time but you will mar its beauty. Even so, we may spoil the many gifts God has prepared for us because of our haste, but if we patiently wait upon God, God's plan is always perfect. In the middle east, there is a saying that goes something like this, “Patience is a tree whose root is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."

Ultimately, we are all waiting for Christ, our bridegroom. Here is what Jesus said, “Occupy till I come,” To elaborate, when Jesus said, “occupy till I come,” He is saying be diligent and work hard till I come, be faithful with the gifts I’ve given you till I come, share your blessing that I’ve given you till I come, witness to your neighbours till I come, tell others about me till I come, disciple others till I come, serve others till I come, take advantage of the opportunities that I’ve placed in your hand till I come. Working diligently while we wait for God's timing his honouring to God.

Above all else, “seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things (food, clothing, shelter) shall be added to you” (Matt. 6:33). The scriptures tells us that “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?” – Romans 8:32. God did not guarantee to give us everything we desire or want, but He guarantees to give us everything we need. Paul did not tell the Philippians that my God shall supply everything that you name and claim, No! But he said to them, “My God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus.”

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Work on the dreams that you have right now. Live each day seeking God.

One thing I have realized is there are many blessings to being single and it is good to focus on the present more than on the “future”. If the present is dark though it is good to focus on hope and getting out of darkness.
You might be single forever. Prepare yourself for living a godly single life.

You might get married. Prepare yourself for being a godly wife.

Most of that preparation is exactly the same either way.
I think Radagast’s post is rather wise. It is good to keep a realistic view that you don’t know the future.
I think the best thing to do while single is wait on God and pray for him to help you find just the right guy for you.
Great post. I can’t put it any other way.
Biblically, we're to keep in mind that God's timing is preferable to ours. Other than that, try to focus on other things and live a good life.
It is true that God’s timing and planning really is the best.

Do everything to the best of your ability. Follow God’s will in everything. And follow your dreams that you can follow right now.

Here’s a quote I keep as a reminder/encouragement for myself - “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.” - Prof. Dumbledore (JK Rowling)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Singleness IS A GIFT from the FATHER IN HEAVEN.

(So is marriage (A WONDERFUL GIFT) for those Yahweh Gives a faithful spouse to. (of the opposite gender and never before taken) .

Single or married, seek the Father for the TASKS HE HAS TO DO every day,
(He Says He prepared the schedule before the world was even created).

Various members IN CHRIST are supposed to train and prepare and teach the others what to DO DAILY, according to God's Word.

When they are not functioning (not training nor teaching others what to DO) ,
a LOT of PRAYER is needed, as Jesus Says, frequent prayer daily with the Father, and , as Jesus Says , GRADUALLY the Father's Will will be the focus instead of the self-will.

What should a Christian be doing while they are single? As far as, what does the Bible say about singleness? Any advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0