What Serena Williams's scary childbirth story says about medical treatment of black women

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So the experience of upper middle and upper class blacks who ALSO get harassed by cops means......

Yes, because white people are never harassed by cops. My local hill-billy police force has never pulled non-blacks over and harassed them or hit on them or threatened them. Nope, my imagination. And who can forget those doctors and nurses who listened to white people because they weren't medical professionals, but they were white!

• Haha
Reactions: Almost there
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes, because white people are never harassed by cops. My local hill-billy police force has never pulled non-blacks over and harassed them or hit on them or threatened them. Nope, my imagination. And who can forget those doctors and nurses who listened to white people because they weren't medical professionals, but they were white!
What are the stats from your hill billy police force? Any actual research done to test its pervasiveness?

Not doubting (yet), just wondering.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I believe most of these are "they don't know who their father is" type situations.

And this gets to a core problem with statistics.
So the problem with statistics is that they use CONCRETE, traceable, specific and definable words? Because that SOUNDS like the problem.

I feel pretty confident that you could find data specifically on THAT. BUT...and its' a big but without being able to compare to the "they don't know who their father is" type of OTHER races, your argument is moot. And I VERY much doubt you have (or at least at this point) that your opinion on this has NOT been informed by any such data.

As I said, I'm ALL ABOUT being swayed by evidence and statistics. If you have something GERMANE, I would LOVE to see it!
There is "fatherless" and there is "Fatherless". My wife of twenty years decided one day she didn't want to be married. When she divorced me my daughters were 10, 13 and 16. They became "fatherless". But it happened late and I was still quite involved. There are others where the divorce happens at a very young age. And there are those where the mother never got married and had multiple kids by different dads. My aunt had seven kids, ALL by different fathers. She never even so much as lived with any of the fathers.
So again, whites do it too. That ALSO would require it's own set of data if you want to have an opinion backed up by stats.

But statistics lump all of those together.
As mentioned, I feel confident you'd be able to find that data seperately.
Stats surveys don't (can't) necessarily answer EVERY question in absentee fathers in a SINGLE study. To have a truely informed opinion you'd have to read a lot of different studies.
I fully admit I have NOT read extra studies and simply provided the data that I have used to inform my opinion. And as mentioned, I'd love to see what you have used!

That said, check out what portion of the prison population comes from "fatherless" homes. You'll quickly discover that the one common thread going through the prison population is that. It's not about race, income level, etc. It is about coming from a fatherless home.
Just for fun, I did some preliminary skimming/reading on the subject. IT is CONVOLUTED!

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If that is as indepth as you can comprehend, then yes.
Ignoring the fact that the bottom line agenda of the OP is exposing perceived racism at every turn, tell me what else it could be.

(Please type slowly, as my comprehension level may not be as good as yours.)

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are welcome to read and consider what the op says. You dont need me to translate; i doubt.
I wasn't even replying to any of your remarks in the first place. You're the one who decided to jump in. So, other than racism, what do you think is the bottom line talking point, the main take-away of the OP?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yup.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So again, whites do it too. That ALSO would require it's own set of data if you want to have an opinion backed up by stats.

As mentioned, I feel confident you'd be able to find that data seperately.
Stats surveys don't (can't) necessarily answer EVERY question in absentee fathers in a SINGLE study. To have a truely informed opinion you'd have to read a lot of different studies.
I fully admit I have NOT read extra studies and simply provided the data that I have used to inform my opinion. And as mentioned, I'd love to see what you have used!

Just for fun, I did some preliminary skimming/reading on the subject. IT is CONVOLUTED!
I used to be in a prison ministry band and talked to quite a few prisoners. It showed me just how important it is to have a solid "mother father" home. It keeps boys out of prison, and it keeps girls out of the maternity ward. At least, it mitigates the risk of both.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I used to be in a prison ministry band and talked to quite a few prisoners. It showed me just how important it is to have a solid "mother father" home. It keeps boys out of prison, and it keeps girls out of the maternity ward. At least, it mitigates the risk of both.
That's great.

• Agree
Reactions: Almost there
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
There seems to be a misunderstanding of what disproportionate outcome in healthcare pointing to racial bias means. Racial bias does not mean other groups are not affected. It's a straw man to scream that white women die due to complications from childbirth since no one argued that; what is pointed out is black women have significantly higher mortality rates. This point is attacked by arguing that it's family structure, income, education level... despite the statistics showing that these are not factors that explain the discrepancy.

One of the major factors is attitudes about black people being somehow different from white people; there are significant number of people in the medical profession that believe black people literally have thicker skin; there are a significant number of people in the medical profession that believe black people do not experience as much pain. Those attitudes lead to a disparity, and that disparity is the racism people are pointing out. There is no claim that doctors hate black people and give them substandard care purposely, but their attitudes and approach to black patients do lead to substandard care.

Regardless of whether you believe there most doctors are in the KKK (of course, they're not), this difference in healthcare outcomes and needs to be addressed. Complaining about the identified factors affecting this disparity and/or fighting reforms to lessen or remove this disparity makes no sense unless you are still ignorant of the issue or have some antipathy toward the affected group.

Upvote 0