What Serena Williams's scary childbirth story says about medical treatment of black women

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I almost married a doctor... You would be disgusted to hear the stories I know about ego running rampant in the hospitals.

It is beyond childish the way many medical professionals act when you are trying to give them information.

quick funny story.

My entire life, whenever the nurse needs to draw blood, said nurse can NEVER find my vein. My veins hide, don't know why, they just do. I've had dozens upon dozens of shots and this has ALWAYS been a problem. So, before I get a shot or blood drawn or an IV I have to do pushups, a lot of pushups, then my veins pop out.

Every single time I've gone in for bloodwork, once it's time to draw blook, I tell the nurse that I need a minute to get ready to do pushups. Every single time I've had the nurse stop me and say, "You don't need to do push ups, I can find the vein". I then proceed to tell said nurse, "look, my entire life this has been a problem, every nurse always says they can find the vein and then after sticking me 5 or 6 times they then let me do pushups so they can find my vein". I tell this to 100% of all the nurses and 99% of them dismiss my claim as if I'm lying to them. They then tie the rubber tube around my arm, tell me to flex a few times, and then they are SHOCKED when they don't see a vein pop out. However, that doesn't dissuade them. They feel for the vein, think they feel it, then stick me, miss, stick me again, miss, stick me and fish around with the needle in my arm for the vein, miss again, stick me again, and then I say, "That's enough, let me do some push ups". Then said nurse says, "Wow, I've never had this problem before"...

I do some push ups, vein pops right out...

but it is funny to me that I go through this process every time and every time the nurses so cavalierly dismiss my claims as if I'm lying. Thank god it is only about something trivial. I'd hate for it to actually be over something serious...

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Seriously? As Pat Condell says in the video below, the first one to bring up race is the racist. Now, if they point blank admitted they were treating her the way they did because of her race, that's different.
That is an incredibly ignorant statement. Pat Condell is obviously myopic in his views. I assume you thought the people marching to end segregation were racists because to many people in the privileged group, they didn't see a problem with "separate but equal." If someone sees the problem, then they must be racist.

As to requiring people say, "I am treating you this way because of your skin color," that is simply denialism to ignore racism. "Oh, it's income!" It happens regardless of income level. "Oh, it's their education level!" It happens regardless of their level of education. "Oh, it's their family structure!" It happens regardless of whatever phantom you're trying to heap this on. "Oh, you're the racist for calling this a problem!" Yeah, pointing out a problem and seeking to fix that problem make you a racist. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm not proud of this, but it happened back in 1982: I was a very good retail hi-fi and video salesman (back when you could make a living at it). I won lots of sales contests and always tried to get the customer what was going to be best for their needs and budget and let the commissions take care of themselves.

One say a couple came in and right away said they didn't trust salesmen. They were relatively poor but had saved for a LONG time to buy a VCR. Hi-fi and video was my hobby, and I loved it, but they showed an amazing lack of respect for my career. I ended up selling them a Sanyo Beta VCR that was the most unreliable piece of junk we sold. And I fully knew the Beta format was on the way out.

I ask everyone to learn from this when dealing with people you expect to serve you. This one sale was definitely an aberration to my normal sales style back then, but it is a lesson in why it is important to treat people serving you with respect.

Good on you for reinforcing their preconception to not trust salesman. I've learned that your ego is so fragile that people's poor perception of your profession was enough for you to be an absolute snake and intentionally do your job poorly.

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of my daughter again, when she was in the eighth grade, she was at one point suffering from a cold and was home from school.

When I got home from work, I found her face-down on the floor of the living room, writhing and barely conscious. I rushed her to the emergency room, and they did some blood tests.

The doctor came back and pronounced that she was overdosing from amphetamines. I told him she'd had a cold and had been taking Sudafed, probably without enough water. He was firmly convinced she was using drugs.

And he remained convinced until she had a gran mal seizure right in front of him...which was not a result of drug use. Rather, the condition I had found her was the aftermath of a subsiding gran mal seizure. A second, better-studied test revealed that the indication of amphetamines was, indeed, from the Sudafed she'd been taking.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Seriously? As Pat Condell says in the video below, the first one to bring up race is the racist. Now, if they point blank admitted they were treating her the way they did because of her race, that's different.

And to use her as a case in point, I don't think the color of her skin was the problem. I think it was the attitude. There are more men in prison than women. Does that mean our prison system is sexist?
Oooo! A youtube video. I hope that isn't going to be considered a "source" from which you support your argument. I LOVE how the only way someone can be a racist is if they "point blank admit" to it. Pffffffft. Because, when people do mean and hateful things they are ALWAYS quick to own up to it.

Post 5 had a link to a wapo article that addresses your earlier questions.
The pain experience between blacks and whites in the US:
The effect of race in older adults presenting for chronic pain management: A comparative study of black and white Americans - ScienceDirect
May also help you out.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Listening to all these great stories about how terrible health care is in the US. I'm wondering if I can just cite this WHOLE thread the next time one of these "durn soshuliized medicare!" types puts out another thread about how messed up the canadian health care system is.

FWIW, my family doctor listens to me very VERY well and every doc I've had in emergency rooms (and there have been maaaaany; including a potentially life threatenning incident) has been a respectful listener and, for the most part, was excellent with responding to my contextual knowledge on my "current" health problem.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
but it is funny to me that I go through this process every time and every time the nurses so cavalierly dismiss my claims as if I'm lying. Thank god it is only about something trivial. I'd hate for it to actually be over something serious...
Give it some time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Listening to all these great stories about how terrible health care is in the US. I'm wondering if I can just cite this WHOLE thread the next time one of these "durn soshuliized medicare!" types puts out another thread about how messed up the canadian health care system is.

FWIW, my family doctor listens to me very VERY well and every doc I've had in emergency rooms (and there have been maaaaany; including a potentially life threatenning incident) has been a respectful listener and, for the most part, was excellent with responding to my contextual knowledge on my "current" health problem.
Doctors in germany often behave in the same way. I experienced myself (though you'll have to excuse me that I don't go into details here). As soon as you act as if you know something, they won't listen to you. Especially if you mention that you found the information online.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
To an extent folks, we also gotta remember that doctors are the ones 100% responsible (legally as well) for our health. I can understand why they may not want to listen to someone coming in demanding 4 different kinds of tests for something they have a VERY limited history with (if one at all).

I absolutely would NOT admit to finding information online. That is a joke and doctors will treat it as such.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Please point it out. Like Ben Shapiro, I'm a culturist, but I'm not a racist. And this really nails it down:
Ahh the myth of the absent black father.
Of all the hokum that exists in the US, this is the most insidious type. With that said, I have shared these stats before and had very positive responses from posters who had initially espoused the idea. It was like people were swayed by research and data.
Cool!

How you handle it though? Well that's up to you. Read what you like but I've put the most pertiment jpeg right here so you can't miss it.

The dangerous myth of the 'missing black father'

Debunking the most pervasive myth about black fatherhood

https://www.amazon.ca/Myth-Missing-Black-Father/dp/0231143532

black-fatherhood.png

So here is appropriate data from the present day that DIRECTLY addresses the "myth" of the black father. If you were to take a critical eye of your source Almost there, you would see that at NO POINT does the dude ACTUALLY discuss the specifics of absent black fathers; instead, conflating poverty and children out of wedlock with absent fathers.

The bigger question is: Why should we bother pointing out systemic racism when the system will not admit to it? You seem to be implying that is the only racism it is admitted.

Besides a nakedly bias joke, what exactly kind of "University" is "Praeger University" because every video I've seen from them, besides displaying obvious bias, rarely makes their point competently and with solid and specific data. It's like they use data that skirts the issue instead of data that would DIRECTLY speak to the claim.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,017.00
Faith
Christian
Ahh the myth of the absent black father.
Of all the hokum that exists in the US, this is the most insidious type.

The links you posted are interesting, but IMO don't really contradict the original video. They do raise other good points about how racism may impact levels of absence (e.g. via incarceration rates) which leads to higher levels of absence (which the video doesn't do).

To a certain extent it seems blindingly obvious that if a family is broken up, the outcome for children is on average going to be worse. The question should be how to reduce that breakdown.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The links you posted are interesting, but IMO don't really contradict the original video. They do raise other good points about how racism may impact levels of absence (e.g. via incarceration rates) which leads to higher levels of absence (which the video doesn't do).

To a certain extent it seems blindingly obvious that if a family is broken up, the outcome for children is on average going to be worse. The question should be how to reduce that breakdown.
Kicker...it doesn'tHAVE TO be a genetic relation

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,017.00
Faith
Christian
I absolutely would NOT admit to finding information online. That is a joke and doctors will treat it as such.

Every doctor friend I know bemoans the current trend of people consulting "Dr Google" before they come in for a visit.

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every doctor friend I know bemoans the current trend of people consulting "Dr Google" before they come in for a visit.

In Serena Williams' case, it was a matter of actual prior treatment.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Besides a nakedly bias joke, what exactly kind of "University" is "Praeger University" because every video I've seen from them, besides displaying obvious bias, rarely makes their point competently and with solid and specific data. It's like they use data that skirts the issue instead of data that would DIRECTLY speak to the claim.

It isn't a university in any shape or form. It's merely a conservative christian video blog.

• Informative
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0